Story Poster
Baylor Football

Gameday Thread: No. 7 Baylor faces No. 8 Ole Miss in Sugar Bowl

December 31, 2021

Depth Chart | Class Scholarship Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Roster

No. 7 Baylor (11-2) will face No. 8 Ole Miss (10-2) in the All-State Sugar Bowl on Saturday evening in New Orleans at 7:45 p.m. CT inside the Superdome. 

Quote of the week...

Dave Aranda: “I think the bowl gives us an opportunity to show who we are. I think there is a stage there. There is a platform that we can -- whether it's people we interact with at the hotel, it's the people that are on our plane, it's the fans that are coming to see us, it's all the people that are going to be watching on TV, it's going to be an introduction to Baylor University. It's going to be an introduction to Baylor football and then to all of our last names in terms of not so much what we do, but how we do it and in terms of what drives us. I think that comes out. And so we want to put our best foot forward in regards to that.”

Craig Smoak’s Players to Watch 

Ole Miss — Quarterback Matt Corral  

As Dave Aranda said earlier this week, Corral is the engine in the Ole Miss attack and a winner. This Saturday will be Corral's finale before hearing his name called as perhaps the top quarterback selection in April's NFL Draft. A true dual-threat, the junior has over 3,300 yards passing and 20 touchdowns with an additional 11 scores and nearly 600 yards rushing. Baylor's defense thrives on turnover opportunities, but Corral has thrown just four interceptions this year. 

Baylor — Quarterback Gerry Bohanon

The starting quarterback position is impossible to snub in this game as Bohanon returns from a hamstring injury that cost him the last ten quarters of play. It would have been fun to see what would have happened if Blake Shapen was available, but Bohanon got the party started and now fittingly has a chance to turn off the lights in sweet style. Aranda sounded confident in Bohanon's ability to move around, which is a plus, but he'll need to keep it clean and sharp in the passing game. It's been a while since he's seen a live-action opposing defense.  

Pregame Show | Saturday 5:45 p.m. CT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: No. 7 Baylor faces No. 8 Ole Miss in Sugar Bowl

104,694 Views | 1230 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TinFoilHatPreacherBear
BleacherBum95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearTruth13 said:

Smith rushed for 100+ yards in the first half and we have 0 offensive points. Yikes.
It's far worse.....half of his yardage came on 1 play.

Indisputable first half coaching grades:
Aranda - F
Grimes - F
Ghostrider
Branch155 said:

Ghostrider said:

Who is the backup qb? Drones?
Correct

Any chance he plays a few series?
Membas09
I miss that.
Jorkel
Ghostrider said:

Branch155 said:

Ghostrider said:

Correct

Doubt it..not unless GB gets hurt or we magically get up 30 points and he comes in for trash time in the 4th
Branch155
Ghostrider said:

Branch155 said:

Ghostrider said:

Correct

I agree with a previous poster. If he doesn't get hurt, I don't think Drones plays.
Louise Romano
Futbol Bear said:

The BU offense is so one dimensional that Ole Miss is teeing up on the run game b/c they know GB isn't likely to throw the ball. Playcalling is not helping GB.
To add more fuel, GB is not even running the ball with any authority either. I don't understand a lot of strategy but I know when players are not performing. He had open receivers but he either cannot find them or they have to make big time adjustments to get to the ball. You look at Shapen's throwing mechanics and he throws it like a shortstop going deep into the hole to get a fast runner out at first base.

Well, it is what it is, but its not fun to watch. Not sure the D can stay on the field this much without giving up a TD. Maybe a fluke play. 2 TD lead would not worry me at all. We;ll see what this opening drive of the 3rd is like.

Get Ebner the ball in space. Throw some combackers to Tyquan....anything but what they are doing now!
BamaFan16RTR
Well, it's def not Greg McElroy. And he isn't a very good announcer, either. Really dislike it when he announces OUR games, and constantly goes over-the-top-ANTI-homer on us.

Ya gotta love Tua, but he never really did anything great. And even though BY won the Heisman this year, there really wasn't that much competition.

Probably a three-way tie between Jerry Jeudy, Najee Harris, and Derrick Henry. All offensive players, but this year, Mr. Will Anderson proved he's gonna be something special, too. He single-handedly held Cincinnati to just a couple of field goals, last night.
"There are suicide bombers that like Mohammed less than you people like Alabama football." - unnamed friend describing Bama fans
Jack Bauer
Ghostrider said:

Branch155 said:

Ghostrider said:

Correct

No. GB is our quarterback tonight unless he gets hurt
BUGWBBear
Ghostrider said:

Hope he got some snaps in this hiatus. GB is still a hammy target.
Ghostrider
Well we have to shut them out.
BUGWBBear
Ghostrider said:

Well we have to shut them out.

If our D doesn't get gassed in the 3rd, yeah.
boognish_bear
On the bright side….we are in position to potentially win our first ever NY6 bowl game.

I admit it's not the most exciting way to win….but winning ugly is what this team does. Offensive juggernaut OM has 120 total yards at half.

Before Corral got knocked out he was 2 for 6 for 10 yards with 1 interception and 3 sacks.

Our defense is balling the hell out.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
We are ahead. Our qb is rusty. Our d is amazing. That is what she said btw.

We are winnung. Their stzrting qb is a puss. Lets enjoy the 2nd half.

Baylor has had 3 geeat coaches ib my lifetime. CGT, CAB and now CDA. Enjoy
Louise Romano
Kiffin is too good of an offensive mind not to try something totally out of the blue. One mistake and its a tie game. I don't like that.
vanillabryce
Agreed
MommaBear
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

Surely Aranda isn't satisfied with GB's 15 yards of passing during the first half, or was that part of his master plan along with going for all those 4th downs in Baylor territory.
BamaFan16RTR
Respect.
"There are suicide bombers that like Mohammed less than you people like Alabama football." - unnamed friend describing Bama fans
Louise Romano
boognish_bear said:

On the bright side….we are in position to potentially win our first ever NY6 bowl game.

I admit it's not the most exciting way to win….but winning ugly is what this team does. Offensive juggernaut OM has 120 total yards at half.

Before Corral got knocked out he was 2 for 6 for 10 yards with 1 interception and 3 sacks.

Our defense is balling the hell out.
Yep, that is on their O line.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Louise Romano said:

Kiffin is too good of an offensive mind not to try something totally out of the blue. One mistake and its a tie game. I don't like that.

I put CDA up againt Kiffen any day.
kbrun
And we'll see him All….Next…..Year!
Louise Romano
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Louise Romano said:

I put CDA up againt Kiffen any day.
Oh I know but that wasn't my point.
Jorkel
kbrun said:

Not necessarily….If Shapen keeps progressing and is better at running the offense than GB, he won't be starting next year.
Ghostrider
Well I guess it is good we didn't play in the CFP. No offense would have caused a blowout.
Ajax BU
I still can't believe we're in the sugar bowl
kbrun
We can only hope! Sorry but Gerry's not a QB
Ghostrider
Let's go GB!!!! Reset
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Jorkel said:

kbrun said:

Not necessarily….If Shapen keeps progressing and is better at running the offense than GB, he won't be starting next year.
Let's hope Shapen keeps progressing because this O is hard to watch.
Jorkel
Ajax BU said:

Why not? We won the conference?
Ghostrider
Throw behind the wr
Louise Romano
That easy pass was way behind Sneed
Ghostrider
O M G
BylrFan
Jorkel said:

Ajax BU said:

Why not? We won the conference?
maybe they meant on how special the season is being in the sugar bowl?
Jack Bauer
McElroy - "Any drive that ends in a punt is a good thing for Baylor"
BearTruth13
Jesus put Drones in
Louise Romano
I don't know how long I can take G Bo on this field. He is getting worse and worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.