Story Poster
Photo by Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Football

Blake Shapen to be Named Baylor's Starting Quarterback

April 26, 2022

SicEm365 has learned through multiple sources that sophomore Blake Shapen is expected to be named Baylor’s starting quarterback. The news began to surface on Tuesday evening after a round of meetings with each of Baylor’s quarterbacks following the end of Baylor’s spring practice on Saturday. 

Shapen won the position after a hard-fought battle through spring practice with senior Gerry Bohanon, Baylor’s starting quarterback in 12 of 14 games in 2021. Redshirt freshmen Kyron Drones and CJ Rogers were also competing for the starting position. 

Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

The 6-foot-0, 192-pound talent who signed with Baylor as part of the 2020 class had a dazzling Green & Gold Game performance on Saturday which led to the decision by the Aranda and staff on Tuesday.

Shapen played in six games as a sophomore in 2021, including two starts. On the season he completed 72.1% (62/86) of his passes and racked up 596 yards and five touchdowns with no interception.

Shapen set the Big 12 Championship game record with 17-straight completions, all of which came in just the first half of play as the Bears built a 21-6 lead over Oklahoma State.

Shapen stepped into the starting role admirably last season when Bohanon suffered an injury in a victory over Kansas State. Shapen guided the team across the finish line against the Wildcats before leading the offense through the regular-season finale against Texas Tech and the Big 12 Championship game.

Shapen missed the Sugar Bowl against Ole Miss after suffering a shoulder injury in the second half of the championship game. 

While the intentions of Bohanon are unknown at this time, sources close to the program believe the fifth-year Arkansas native will look over his options in the transfer portal. Bohanon completed 62.9% of his passes for 2,200 yards and 18 touchdowns against seven interceptions while rushing for 323 yards and nine touchdowns.

Try SicEm365 for $1.00 to keep up to date on the latest with Baylor football.

Discussion from...

Blake Shapen to be Named Baylor's Starting Quarterback

20,387 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by joseywales
Jorkel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oooooo interesting! Let's get er done. 10+ wins.
mtenery14
I was pulling for Shapen, but it still doesn't mean that I won't miss having Gerry on the team. A class athlete and a wonderful person.
Enenimms
mtenery14 said:

I was pulling for Shapen, but it still doesn't mean that I won't miss having Gerry on the team. A class athlete and a wonderful person.

Well said… I will miss GB too. He is a class act, phenomenal athlete, and great leader.
Wangchung
Hope Gerry stays and keeps competing for starter.
Wacko4Waco
Talented QB-he was a 4* QB according to ESPN.
boognish_bear
Wangchung said:

Sounds like he's looking at the portal option. I would hate to see that…but I would understand it.
TOBear
Makes me feel Aranda is playing to win
cool34
Sure was hoping GB would be the next star Running Back
SIC EM 94
TOBear said:

Makes me feel Aranda is playing to win

Makes me feel Aranda knows we are going to have to be more pass heavy this year.
LIB,MR BEARS
A little more passing game and with a deep threat will open up the running game a bit more also.

I'd like to see GB stay but I certainly understand if he wants to find someplace he will start.
OldOsoPardo
Odds Bohanon transfers to Tech?
GruntTuff
Had to be tough for the coaches to deliver the news. GB seems like a fantastic young man and has been a warrior and a great ambassador.

If he wants to enter the portal, I would applaud that decision and hope he has a great year chasing his dream.

This must be a tough night for him.
bear2be2
OldOsoPardo said:

Tech's got a pretty talented quarterback room and has an Air Raid OC. I don't think that's really a fit.
JustWinBears
This makes me feel good about the future as it shows Aranda isn't afraid to make moves he feels sets the team up for success despite the pressure of making these hard decisions, especially when it comes to replacing a starter. It also means that it makes the competition battles real for all the players and so we may see more intense competition.

Overall I really enjoyed watching Bohanon out there, but Shapen has shown to a bit more upside when it comes to throwing the ball. Shapen just looks a lot more comfortable out there utilizing the receivers which will hopefully also increase our receiving recruiting. Bohanon has built a great presence on the field as a leader so that will be missed. I know it won't happen but I wouldn't mind seeing Bohanon out there as a RB.
JustWinBears
GruntTuff said:

Had to be tough for the coaches to deliver the news. GB seems like a fantastic young man and has been a warrior and a great ambassador.

If he wants to enter the portal, I would applaud that decision and hope he has a great year chasing his dream.

This must be a tough night for him.

Yeah which is why I'm impressed with Aranda and crew as they were able to pull the trigger. There isn't anything more difficult I feel than having to tell someone as great as Bohanon that he's being replaced. Hopefully it works out and Shapen shows us he's for real with a complete season.
LIB,MR BEARS
OldOsoPardo said:

zero. That offense needs a great passer
BearPa
OldOsoPardo said:

0%?
BearPa
DanaDane
Why was it necessary to name a starter in April?
LIB,MR BEARS
DanaDane said:

From the team side, I'm guessing chemistry. This will give BS some time to assume his leadership role. It also eliminates the chances of the team picking sides and maybe creating some decisiveness.

From the personal side, it gives GB some time to explore his options.
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

The deadline to transfer and be eligible for the 2022 season is May 1. I'm sure it was done as a courtesy to the players involved.

I actually think it was really cool of Aranda and Co. to do it that way. Most coaches wouldn't.
Mitch Blood Green
cool34 said:

That's not what he is.
SicemBears123
I was watching some video of the Oklahoma state game and the hit that injured Shapen didn't seem to be a big hit. When he runs he will need to slide and be careful about taking to many shots. His body can't take to much kinetic energy from a defender or he risks injury. (Keeping GB would be great)

The second thing to me seems to be the character of Aranda. If May 1st is the deadline to transfer and still be able to play this year then they are giving this information to the Gerry Bohanan now so he can weigh his options. Instead of trying to do what is in his own best interest Aranda is doing what is in the best interest of his players.
Shakesbear
Enenimms said:

mtenery14 said:

Well said… I will miss GB too. He is a class act, phenomenal athlete, and great leader.
Shapen will go down at some point in the season, and we will need a proven backup QB until he returns: Book it Dano
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
robby44
tommie said:

cool34 said:

That's not what he is.

Exactly
boognish_bear
5starPhysicist said:

I was watching some video of the Oklahoma state game and the hit that injured Shapen didn't seem to be a big hit. When he runs he will need to slide and be careful about taking to many shots. His body can't take to much kinetic energy from a defender or he risks injury. (Keeping GB would be great)

The second thing to me seems to be the character of Aranda. If May 1st is the deadline to transfer and still be able to play this year then they are giving this information to the Gerry Bohanan now so he can weigh his options. Instead of trying to do what is in his own best interest Aranda is doing what is in the best interest of his players.

Johnny Bear
Johnny Bear
Wangchung said:

As unlikely as that is - me too. If he somehow does stay, I'm guessing one way or the other he'll still end up playing quite a bit next season either as a "one-two punch" at QB when Shapen isn't moving the offense, and/or if and when Shapen goes down (which has a higher probability of happening than any of us would like).

If he does leave I'll certainly understand it, but at the same time I'll nonetheless hate it as well.
BiPolarBear
Wangchung said:

Or moves over to Receiver?
Stefano DiMera
His Instagram gives no clues

He turned off comments on his last post he made about 4pm yesterday.
Johnny Bear
BiPolarBear said:

Wangchung said:

Or moves over to Receiver?

IMO if he stays and there's a move, a better one would be to RB. Unlikely at best, but think about what a new "thunder and lightening" combination he could be with Sqwirl while remaining the first backup option at QB. I would think that could also improve his odds of playing at the next level (I doubt he's going to be an NFL QB),
Johnny Bear
Wacoraisedbear
Time for chuck brewer 2.0!
mdanderson
I think Bohanon is a class act and I hope he stays but I am glad Shapen is being given the opportunity to be the starter.
THATguy
Gerry was really good. Solid. Good leader, good kid. Shapen has the potential to be great and Aranda knows that and probably feels he'll be better suited for the offense. I didn't follow the spring much, but I do remember this, Bohanon was 7 for 17 for 40 yards in the Sugar Bowl. Shapen was 17 for 17 in the first half of the Big 12 Championship. Could how they performed in big games have anything to do with it? Maybe. Maybe not. I hope Gerry stays but can't fault the guy if he goes and if he does, we'll wish him the best and be grateful for his contributions to a special year last year.
Chamberman
Gerry is gone.

Shapen is our future.

It's a game...life is much bigger than a game.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.