Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,090,152 Views | 29569 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Assassin
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm disappointed in him!!!! Assassin send pics of your big weekend. Hope you have a good turnout tonight!
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

I'm disappointed in him!!!! Assassin send pics of your big weekend. Hope you have a good turnout tonight!

Do we really want Assassin further incriminating TWill?
Assassin
GoldMind said:

BearForce said:

Oh TWill...this might be the nail in the coffin.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article211498769.html

Who the hell walks into a Lambo dealership and says "Yes, I'd like that hideous blue one over there"??

Blue, gag me.
Cowboy blue?
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin

Assassin
Veteran QBs? No thanks -- Cowboys want backups with potential
May 18, 2018
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- When Jason Garrett came to the Dallas Cowboys in 2007 as the offensive coordinator, Tony Romo had started only 10 games in his career.

Garrett wanted a veteran to mentor Romo, and the Cowboys signed Brad Johnson. In 2009, the Cowboys traded for Jon Kitna. In 2012, they added Kyle Orton.

They have moved on from that philosophy completely, even with a young quarterback in Dak Prescott.

A year ago, Cooper Rush served as the No. 2 quarterback for most of the season. A few weeks ago, the Cowboys selected Western Kentucky's Mike White in the fifth round of the draft.

They have no plans to go after a veteran backup, such as, say, Matt Moore. The change in philosophy falls on two players: Matt Cassel and Prescott.

After losing Romo to a broken collarbone in the second game of the 2015 season, the Cowboys acquired Cassel in a trade from the Buffalo Bills as insurance for Brandon Weeden, who elevated to the starting role.

Cassel went 1-6 as a starter and had five touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones figured then that it was better to go down swinging with a young quarterback after the money he spent on Cassel and the draft pick given up to get him (a fifth-rounder).

When Kellen Moore got hurt in training camp in 2016, the Cowboys flirted with the idea of trading for Josh McCown but would not give in to the Cleveland Browns' demands (believed to be a second-round pick). They also thought about adding Nick Foles, but Jones shot that idea down only to see Foles quarterback the Philadelphia Eagles to a win in Super Bowl LII last February.

Instead, the Cowboys rolled the dice on Prescott, who produced one of the best rookie seasons -- 23 touchdown passes, four interceptions, 13 wins -- in NFL history.

"I'm not taking anything away from him, but he was unique and let us compete with him coming in as a rookie," Jones said. "That success buoys my confidence that you can win some games with rookie quarterbacks, and they win some games with rookie quarterbacks that aren't first-round picks."

Before joining the Cowboys, Johnson started 122 games for the Minnesota Vikings, Washington Redskins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, winning a Super Bowl in Tampa. Kitna started 115 games with the Seattle Seahawks, Cincinnati Bengals and Detroit Lions before going to Dallas. Orton had started 69 games with the Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs before signing as a free agent.

Weeden even went to the Cowboys after 20 starts in two seasons with the Cleveland Browns -- and he was 31 when he signed with the Cowboys.

A year ago at this time, Rush was an unknown undrafted free agent from Central Michigan, where he was a four-year starter and had 90 touchdown passes and 55 interceptions. Through organized team activities and minicamp -- and even early in training camp -- he did not attract much attention.

In the preseason games, however, he shined, throwing six touchdown passes without an interception, going from an afterthought to a must-keep on the 53-man roster.

He threw only three passes, completing one for 2 yards as the backup to Prescott, but the Cowboys are confident in his development.

White became just the sixth quarterback the Cowboys have drafted since Jones became the owner and general manager in 1989, not including Steve Walsh, who was selected in the supplemental draft in 1990.

In two seasons at Western Kentucky, he had 63 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions.

"We want competition there. I think we've said it's been historically what we've done. I don't necessarily know if that's right, but to have good competition at the quarterback position with Cooper is a good thing," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. "Obviously, you put this kind of resource into a quarterback, we could easily carry three, and I think that's very healthy in terms of having competition. Obviously, Coach Garrett stresses that. That's what we feel like we've done with that is create depth and competition at all levels, and at the same time, draft players with upside to develop into players who can help us win football games."

In Romo's latter years, the Cowboys went how he went. From 2013-15, the Cowboys were 1-13 without him starting because of back or collarbone injuries. In 2016, Prescott changed everything.

They now have yet to experience a start without Prescott, but Jerry Jones does not worry about the young quarterbacks.

"It's the best way I can say it: I don't want time -- game time, preseason or regular season -- if we're without our starting quarterback, I don't want to use that time out there not to be testing and evaluating whether our quarterback or [another] player has the makeup or the psyche to compete," Jerry Jones said. "And the only place you can get that is in live action. So when we're in a situation and we don't have, for whatever reason, Dak out there, I want somebody that's got the future, because I think that gives tremendous value to the franchise and it gives us an opportunity at arguably the hardest position to get really good at it."
BearForce
Statement from TWill
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/19/terrance-williams-issues-statement-explaining-auto-accident/
Wichitabear
Lololol didn't think of that
Assassin
BearForce said:

Statement from TWill
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/19/terrance-williams-issues-statement-explaining-auto-accident/

weird
Wichitabear
Speechless. Always asking why. Wanted TW to succeed so bad. He may very well be done.
BearForce
BearForce
I'm sure you will recognize #1 and #2

Assassin
Cowboys signed third-round WR Michael Gallup to a four-year contract.
Dallas now has their entire draft class under contract. Especially following Terrance Williams' arrest over the weekend, the Cowboys are desperate for help at receiver. That should allow Gallup to contribute right out of the gate, and he is talented enough to be a long-term factor in Dallas. Gallup is a great value in the second round of Dynasty rookie drafts.
Source: Todd Archer on Twitter
May 21 - 11:50 AM

Assassin
This is kinda hard to believe:

Eagles released SLB Mychal Kendricks.
Kendricks was designated as a post-June 1 release, clearing $6 million in cap space while leaving behind $1.6 million in dead money. The move comes after the Eagles (again) failed to find a trade partner for their two-down thumper. Kendricks wanted to play all three downs. Going on 28, Kendricks had one of his best seasons in 2018. Provided he's healthy Kendricks is recovering from an ankle scope he won't be on the open market for long. Linebacker is a position of need for the Eagles.
Related: Eagles

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
May 22 - 3:43 PM
Assassin
Assassin said:

This is kinda hard to believe:

Eagles released SLB Mychal Kendricks.
Kendricks was designated as a post-June 1 release, clearing $6 million in cap space while leaving behind $1.6 million in dead money. The move comes after the Eagles (again) failed to find a trade partner for their two-down thumper. Kendricks wanted to play all three downs. Going on 28, Kendricks had one of his best seasons in 2018. Provided he's healthy Kendricks is recovering from an ankle scope he won't be on the open market for long. Linebacker is a position of need for the Eagles.
Related: Eagles

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
May 22 - 3:43 PM
BTW - would love to have this guy but it sounds like he wants to start - and start a lot
Wichitabear
Would he be somebody we would be interested in?
Assassin
PFF and ESPN Insiders Best Position Groups:

Offensive line: Philadelphia Eagles
Depth chart: Jason Peters (OT), Lane Johnson (OT), Halapoulivaati Vaitai (OT), Matt Pryor (OT)), Brandon Brooks (G), Stefen Wisniewski (G), Isaac Seumalo (G), Chance Warmack (G), Jason Kelce (C)

The Eagles had the best offensive line in 2017, and it should be strong again in 2018 with the return of Jason Peters at left tackle. The unit surrendered just 154 total pressures, the eighth best in the game. But 39 of those pressures came from Halapoulivaati Vaitai, who held his own when he stepped in at left tackle but was a massive downgrade from Peters, who remains one of the best in the league. In his 423 snaps of action last season, Peters earned an overall PFF grade of 86.4, tied for the fourth-best mark. Lane Johnson might be the best right tackle in the NFL and allowed only 20 total pressures in the regular season. He also had a perfect game in pass protection in the Super Bowl. Jason Kelce is coming off a career year in which he was instrumental in a formidable running game, though his pass blocking could stand to improve.

Runners-up
Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys aren't far removed from again having the league's best offensive line. Paul Alexander is the new offensive line coach, and they added second-round draft pick Connor Williams, who allowed just one sack in his college career.

Tennessee Titans: Tennessee's offensive line took a step back in 2017 but was the best in the league the season before. Jack Conklin backed up his impressive rookie year with an overall PFF grade of 81.8 in Year 2.
Assassin
Linebacker: Seattle Seahawks
Depth chart: Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Barkevious Mingo, Shaquem Griffin, D.J. Alexander, Paul Dawson, Emmanuel Beal, Warren Long, Jacob Pugh

The duo of Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright is as good as it gets. Wagner is coming off back-to-back elite seasons with overall PFF grades of 90.8 in 2016 and 96.7 in 2017, while Wright has posted a grade of 80-plus in every season since 2011, including a career-high 89.5 in 2015. As the league becomes more dependent on nickel packages featuring only two linebackers, Wagner and Wright are perfect three-down players capable of playing both man and zone coverage while showing well against the run in the blitz game. The addition of fifth-round rookie Shaquem Griffin adds another versatile threat to the linebacking corps. He's strong in the running game, grading at 80.6 last year at UCF, but it's his ability to rush the passer -- he had the second-best pass-rush productivity in the draft class at 17.8 last season -- that makes him a potential chess piece for Seattle's defense in nickel and dime packages.

Runners-up
Carolina Panthers: When healthy, Luke Kuechly is as good as it gets, while Thomas Davis and Shaq Thompson are athletic options in coverage. Davis has taken a step back over the past two years, and he's suspended for the first four games of 2018.

Dallas Cowboys: Sean Lee is the anchor in the middle, posting excellent grades between 86.9 and 90.9 over the past five years, while the addition of first-round pick Leighton Vander Esch combined with Jaylon Smith gives Dallas potentially one of the best trios in the NFL.
Assassin
Wichitabear said:

I would be. Not sure if the Cowboys would - or if Kendriks would be of us
GoldMind
Barkevious Mingo lol
Assassin
Guessing Cowboys signed this guy just for Goldmind:

New OL Signee Damien Mama Bring To The Table?
Monday, May 21, 2018 6:17 PM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

Name: Damien Mama
Position: OG/C
College: USC
Height: 6-3
Weight: 342
Draft: Signed undrafted with Kansas City in 2017

Games Studied: 2017 preseason, with Kansas City, vs. San Francisco, Cincinnati, Seattle, Tennessee
Scouting Report:
Mama spent the preseason with the Chiefs and eventually wound up on their practice squad. The New York Giants signed him late in the 2018 season, but he did not stick with the club.
Lined up at both guard spots and has also played some center, as well. I thought he had better snaps playing center than he did at guard.
Shows some initial quickness off the snap. Will work his head across the defender for the cut off block.
Can get some push in the running game mainly due to his mass. Works hard to get his hands inside on the defender. If he has a problem, it's when his base gets narrow and the defender throws him off balance. When an opponent has quickness that causes him some problems as well.
His base tends to get a little wide on his initial pass set. Will work his feet back into position once he feels movement from the defender. Ability to adjust. He needs to set his feet a little quicker to keep his man along the line. The further he has to hold his block the worse his technique becomes.
He is aware to help when uncovered. Has some pop in his hands. Has to be careful not to become over extended on has pass set.
Used as a puller. Not smooth moving. Will get around the corner but tends to be off balance and looking for someone to hit.
Mauler/brawler type of blocker.
Rusher can break him down if he doesn't get his hands inside quickly enough.

Wichitabear
Lol well congrats Goldmind
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

Before the draft yep....now not as likely.
Wichitabear
You just disturbed me. I'm on the Ranger Baseball thread. Just chatting away because we are so stinking bad!!!!
Assassin
Gut Feeling: Most Pressing Issue At OTAs? DallasCowboys.com Debates
Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:23 PM CDT
FRISCO, Texas Football's back. Almost, anyway.

The Cowboys began organized team activities Tuesday at The Star in Frisco, and Wednesday's voluntary workout is the media's first look at the veterans and rookies together on the field.

With plenty of change on the roster and Jason Garrett's coaching staff, the DallasCowboys.com staff (Bryan Broaddus, David Helman, Lindsay Draper, Nick Eatman, Rob Phillips and Mickey Spagnola) discusses who and what they'll be watching most as OTAs get underway.

Bryan Broaddus:
This will be our first chance to see the veteran and rookie players together for the upcoming 2018 season. Something to think about that I said on Talkin' Cowboys this morning. I thought we had the potential of four rookies lining up as starters this season. Connor Williams at left guard, Leighton Vander Esch at middle linebacker, Dalton Schultz at tight end and Michael Gallup at wide receiver all make sense. Williams is a no-brainer due to his talent level and the need at guard. Vander Esch wasn't drafted to sit on the bench, so they'll find a spot for him. Schultz is a complete tight end and should provide a boost to the position from the jump. If the learning curve isn't too steep for Gallup, he'll be pushing for Terrance Williams' spot. OTAs are only the start, but it also gives you a clue to what the front office and coaching staff are likely thinking.

David Helman:
There's only one thing I'm wondering heading into these practices, and that's to paraphrase Aubrey Graham whether or not we get hit with the Rico. That was a bad joke, but a good point. For nine months, Rico Gathers has been seen and not heard, as far as tight end is concerned, at least. With Jason Witten heading into retirement, Gathers is the biggest variable on this depth chart. He showcased what his athleticism can bring to the table last preseason, but he's also the least-polished tight end on this team. This could be a big opportunity for him to prove he's worth a look higher up on the depth chart. Obviously, these aren't full contact practices, but it's a chance to do some serious work on the mental side of the game. This will be the first time we've seen Rico on the field since August, and I'm curious to see just what we should expect from him in this new-look offense.

Lindsay Draper:
I'm not necessarily looking at a certain player. On the contrary, I'll be looking at the absence of players. We all know there is roster turnover from year to year. But I've spoken with colleagues who have covered the club for decades, and they've collectively noted this offseason as the greatest turnaround they've witnessed to date. I'll be eyeing every position group, every drill order, and every new coach. I want to see who's voice we hear bouncing off the silver walls of The Star. I want to see which jersey all eyes turn toward before a drill. Who commands the huddle? Who is calling for hustle? We all knew when Jason Witten was talking. We heard Dez Bryant's voice before one-on-one drills. Those are now just memories. I'm so intrigued to see who emerges as new leaders of this club, because there are new vacancies in a new era.

Nick Eatman:
For this first minicamp, I'm not sure how I could pick anyone other than Tavon Austin. After all, I've been lobbying for a fast, electric, playmaker-type like Austin, and the Cowboys have gone out and acquired that. I know Austin hasn't been the player the Rams hoped for when they drafted him No. 7 overall a few years back. That's OK. The Cowboys aren't asking for first-round talent right now, but a guy who can be a game-changer and someone the defenses have to be prepared for. All the Cowboys need is the defensive players focusing on something else and that's when Zeke hurts them up the middle for big gains. I'm anxious to see how they line up Austin and what kind of role he will have. But I think the fans should be excited about the Cowboys' willingness to go out and get him, because that means they should be committed to using him.

Rob Phillips:
How about every skill player not named Ezekiel Elliott? We know Zeke is a rock for Dak Prescott and the offense. We know the offensive line, when healthy, is its foundation. But Prescott will be throwing passes to a bunch of new running backs, receivers and tight ends: Tavon Austin (whether you call him a RB or WR), Allen Hurns, Deonte Thompson, rookies Michael Gallup and Dalton Schultz. Cole Beasley is now the longest-tenured receiver on the roster. Geoff Swaim is the only tight end who has caught an NFL pass. There's talent here, but roles and snaps are up for grabs. Terrance Williams has been recovering from offseason foot surgery, so it'll be interesting to see if a young guy like Gallup can take advantage of extra offseason work.

Mickey Spagnola:
Most everyone seems bent out of shape over the Cowboys' safety position. My guess is Jeff Heath starts at one of the spots. The other? I can't wait to see Xavier Woods. Oh, we got a small glimpse of him back there last year during his rookie season. But mostly Woods was pressed into the slot on the nickel and dime defenses. Now we get a chance to see him back there. And remember, the Cowboys gave Woods, a versatile player at Louisiana Tech, a fourth-round grade. So when he was still sitting there in the sixth they didn't have a fifth the Cowboys ran out of patience, giving the New York Jets their 2018 fifth-round pick to move up to the seventh pick in the round to grab Woods. With only four starts in 2017 under his belt, but having played 51.5 percent of the defensive snaps, now is his chance to convince the Cowboys they don't need to trade for a veteran safety.
Wichitabear
Can't wait for the season to start. We are definitely going to look different
Wichitabear
Thank you Bearforce.
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

Thank you Bearforce.
Anytime
Wichitabear
JJ Watts has offered to pay for the funerals of the Santa Fe school victims. He is such a role model and just a down right good Christian. I'm making him an honorary Cowboy! lol Wish he had played for us.
Assassin
The NFL has approved revised kickoff rules for 2018.

The biggest change is that running starts are no longer allowed for the kicking team. Various positioning changes have also been made, while two-man wedge blocks have been outlawed. An outline of the changes can be found at the link below.

Assassin
Wichitabear
Thanks Assassin. Should be interesting to see how this is going to work.
Assassin
10 late-round NFL rookies who could surprise in 2018
May 23, 2018
by Dan Benton

The 2018 NFL Draft has come and gone, and the high draft picks have understandably dominated the news cycle. After all, it's players like Baker Mayfield, Saquon Barkley and Sam Darnold who seem to excite the masses.

However, championship are won in the late rounds, Hall of Famers are found like needles in a haystack, and the majority of NFL rosters are made up of Day 3 picks and undrafted free agents.
With that in mind, here's a look at 10 late-round NFL rookies who could surprise in 2018.

10. Bo Scarbrough, RB, Dallas Cowboys
Ezekiel Elliott will carry the load for the Cowboys in 2018, but don't sleep on Bo Scarbrough having a legitimate impact. He has a good combination of size (6-foot-2, 235 pounds) and speed, and could thrive as a rookie in a complementary role. Scarbrough is a downhill runner who could spell Elliott in almost any situation, and will likely see increased touches as the season moves along. It was a surprise to many that he lasted until the seventh round (No. 236 overall), but he could turn out to be one of the steals of the draft.

9. Braxton Berrios, WR, New England Patriots
Braxton Berrios seemed destined for the Patriots even before they called his name, which eventually happened in the sixth round (No. 210 overall) of the NFL Draft. After losing Danny Amendola in free agency, New England found themselves in need of a small slot receiver with good hands who could also contribute on special teams, and that's exactly what they found in Berrios. At Miami, Berrios got to play against solid ACC competition, and while his skill set is very specific and limited to the slot role, the Patriots have found ways to make stars out similar players.
8. Tim Settle, DT, Washington Redskins
The Redskins have a bit of an issue at nose tackle, and it's quite possible that fifth-round pick (No. 163 overall) Tim Settle is the man who, no pun intended, settles it. At 6-foot-3 and 329 pounds, he certainly has the size for the role, but he also possesses quickness and a good initial burst that can catch his opponents off guard. The biggest issue facing Settle is the ability to keep his weight within a reasonable range as he works to adjust to the NFL game. So long as he can do that, he should fit right in on Washington's defense and make an impact out of the gate.
7. Tyrell Crosby, OT, Detroit Lions
Entering the NFL Draft, many experts assumed Tyrell Crosby would be off the board over the first two rounds. Instead, he slipped all the way to the fifth round (No. 153 overall) where he was scooped up by the Lions. Why Crosby fell so far is still a bit of a mystery, but that's good news for Detroit, who struggled along their offensive line a season ago and now have a quality tackle who will enter the league with a large chip on his shoulder. Crosby could very well start for the Lions out of the gate and even play at a Pro Bowl level in Year 1.
6. Josh Sweat, DE, Philadelphia Eagles
Josh Sweat acknowledges that he didn't put up the numbers in college that he would have liked to, and that's potentially why he fell to the fourth round (No. 130 overall) and the world champion Philadelphia Eagles. However, there's no denying his fierce athleticism and ability to create chaos on the edge, which led many to believe he'd be selected earlier in the draft. Instead, the Eagles, who rode their defensive line to a Super Bowl title in 2017, get even deeper at the position with Sweat's addition. And so long as he's not hampered by the torn ACL he suffered in 2014 an injury that concerned some Sweat could enter the league and immediately produce as a pass rush specialist.
5. Armani Watts, S, Kansas City Chiefs
In 2015, Armani Watts broke out and could have easily been a early-round pick had he been draft-eligible, but injuries in 2016 and a down year in 2017 led to him falling to the fourth round (No. 124 overall). However, with obvious talent and a wide-open opportunity at free safety in Kansas City, Watts may have landed in the ideal situation. With a need for a ball-hawking safety to play alongside Eric Berry, who could be the league's Comeback Player of the Year in 2018, the Chiefs could be in good hands with Watts, who recorded 10 interceptions, seven forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries during his college career.
4. Ian Thomas, TE, Carolina Panthers
Until 2017, Ian Thomas wasn't on the radar of most NFL scouts and wasn't even considering a professional football career. However, his athleticism couldn't be ignored and once the realization hit that he could actually warrant being drafted, Thomas kicked things into high gear. And despite his inexperience he had only 28 career receptions in college Thomas displayed good route running ability, soft hands and a willingness to block. Seeing that, Carolina selected him in the fourth round (No. 101 overall) of the NFL Draft and will now put him on the depth chart behind Pro Bowler Greg Olsen.
3. Deon Cain, WR, Indianapolis Colts
Sometimes the ability of a late-round rookie to succeed hinges upon whether their skills fit the needs of a team. For Deon Cain and the Colts, that's exactly what happened. Cain was widely considered one of the best deep-threat receivers in the 2018 class, and as fate would have it, that's precisely what Indianapolis is missing at the position. Paired with quarterback Jacoby Brissett, who has a very strong arm, Cain has a chance to secure the team's No. 3 role and serve as their field-stretching wide receiver alongside T.Y. Hilton and Ryan Grant. Not a bad position for a sixth-round pick (No. 185 overall) to find himself.
2. Maurice Hurst, DT, Oakland Raiders
Maurice Hurst could have been a relatively early selection in the 2018 NFL Draft, but a heart condition discovered during the NFL Combine caused some teams to shy away despite the 6-foot-2, 270-pound defensive lineman having been medically cleared. As a result, the Raiders got themselves a steal in the fifth round (No. 140 overall) after trading up for Hurst. A versatile defender, Hurst will make an immediate impact for Oakland. He can play both 3-technique and 5-technique, so expect to see him to get a hefty dose of snaps early on.
1. Micah Kiser, LB, Los Angeles Rams
Micah Kiser is arguably one of the most refined and well-rounded late-round prospects taken in the NFL Draft. Winner of the William V. Campbell Trophy (sometimes called the "Academic Heisman") in 2017, Kiser was selected in the fifth round (No. 147 overall) and now joins a Rams defense where he could very well start on Day 1. A tackling machine, Kiser finished his college career with an impressive 408 tackles, but adds the speed and athleticism necessary for coverage at the NFL level. Kiser can do a little bit of everything and sports a very high football IQ, so the Rams certainly landed themselves a potential star on Day 3 of the draft.
Assassin
still ticked we passed on Hurst so many times...
Assassin
First Page Last Page
Page 175 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.