Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Baseball

Startup Waco Announces New Program For Student-Athletes

July 27, 2022

WACO, TEXAS — Startup Waco announced today the launch of a new program designed to connect Baylor student-athletes with Name-Image-Likeness (NIL)opportunities centered around its core organizational mission. 

The program, called GXG, will create and facilitate NIL opportunities exclusively for student athletes who don the Green and Gold. GXG will work in collaboration with new and existing partners,  businesses, and other constituencies to offer a suite of options to student-athletes including championing Waco-based entrepreneurs, connecting with citywide business and non-profit opportunities, and ultimately, using their platform in the community in ways that not only benefit themselves, but also uplift the local economy. 

Enacted on July 1, 2021, NIL gave college athletes the ability to profit off their own name, image, and/or likeness in ways not previously allowed in intercollegiate athletics. 

“As we’ve watched this landscape of NIL develop over the past year, we’ve become increasingly excited for the impact this will have on local student-athletes, the Baylor Family, and our city as a whole”, said Jon Passavant, CEO of Startup Waco. “We’ve witnessed ways in which NIL has led to both positive and negative outcomes around the country, and our approach is different. We aim to leverage this space as an avenue for more than just funds, but also as an innovative approach to student-athlete development and meaningful community engagement,” he continued.

In addition to GXG, student-athletes will have full access to Startup Waco’s IncubateX program, an incubator focused on entrepreneurship, accelerating new ventures, and maximizing NIL platforms on a personal level. IncubateX is an individualized version of how Startup Waco assists in launching new ventures in the community by comprehensively offering the best opportunity to conceptualize, create, and grow new businesses. 

Part of Startup Waco’s mission is to span all sectors of the Waco community to become a leading source of new innovation and economic growth. Supporting student-athletes in Waco helps pave the way for future growth by offering meaningful, strategic support for entrepreneurs of all typesso that they may leave a lasting impact on the community. 

“From the perspective of the entrepreneurial ecosystem that’s developing in Waco, we’re thrilled to play a part in helping incorporate student-athletes, who have significant platforms and voices,in ways that weren’t possible previously,” said Passavant. “By partnering with businesses and support organizations in this effort, we feel strongly that we can make a material impact on Waco’s continued economic development,” he added.

Details for program participation and opportunities to donate to GXG can be accessed at www.gxgexchange.org. For more information regarding the program, please reach out to the Startup Waco team at info@startupwaco.com.

Discussion from...

Startup Waco Announces New Program For Student-Athletes

7,157 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SonOfZuno
paulboomer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I guess this is the first Baylor "collective"? At least the first one I have heard of.
MSMBear
I guess it is necessary. I had a student that was heavily recruited by Aranda, and the one thing the kid said to me was how against NIL deals Aranda is. Per my student Aranda told him "If you are looking for an NIL deal Baylor is not a place for you. If you are looking to be a part of something bigger than yourself and a place with a culture, Baylor is the right place. We will help you become a man".
paulboomer
I can't imagine that Baylor could ever compete in today's landscape without having an NIL system in place. As special as I think Baylor is, its not going to attract the athletes we're going to need to compete without playing the NIL game. I'm not wild about NIL, but it is our reality and we have to play the game. Pure and simple. We have proven that we can raise the money to build top notch facilities and hire top notch coaches. Theres no reason we can't also compete on NIL at a high level.
BearFan33
There was an interview with Mack not to long ago where he said we compete well in the NIL world. We don't advertise or celebrate it (like Aggie) but we are competing in the arena.

I cannot believe we held onto our offensive line without significant NIL.
DavidNicholson
Can anyone benefit from the new program? After being a student and finishing academic studies, I am considering a career in the sports domain or math because I like both these hobbies. This program would help me, or I found https://plainmath.net/secondary/algebra/algebra-ii/logarithms to get support and high school logarithms questions and answers. Algebra appeals to me, especially when I understand the themes I am learning or receive help and math guidance for exercises where I meet difficulties.
SonOfZuno
Spend the time, do the research, and look this dude up. He's a serial salesman/entrepreneur, business opportunist, and who's only focus (I assure you) is on making money. This is not good for the Baylor athletics mantra and, although news, I am disappointed that S365 even put this on their site. I'll stick with Coach Aranda on the men we want in the program.

I hope this dude and his company fade into the background and never to be heard from/about again very quickly.......
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.