Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365

Ten Things That Stood Out Against Texas State

September 17, 2022

Baylor’s record stands at 2-1 following a win against Texas State on September 17 in McLane Stadium. Here are the ten things which stood out to me during the game.

1. The tailgate was great and the Bears scored before I could leave there and get to the studio. Missing several Bears with injuries sustained in the game against BYU and it appears Grant Miller‍ has limped off. With no Ben Sims‍ it was good to see the rushing TD from Richard Reese‍.
  2. Texas State has been physical all game and the non-targeting tackle against Blake Shapen‍ with a helmet removal gives Kyron Drones‍ a great rep and Craig Williams‍ goes off for the TD on the next play. Texas State is in the danger zone.
  3. That is a weak roughing the passer call on TJ Franklin‍ as he was being held and the forearm hit the chest of the QB.
  4. Baylor’s entire second-team defense is in for the 3rd series against Texas State and the starters are now subbed in for play in the red zone. Great read on 4th down by Will Williams‍ to almost get an INT
  5. Seth Jones‍ has stepped up today to be the lead receiver and was robbed of a catch with two feet down and thrown out of bounds and hits the ground and the ball came out. Gavin Holmes‍ also making a statement from the receiving room.
  6. Maybe Baylor will cover Hawkins in the game with a safety instead of a linebacker at some point. 
  7. This has become a war of attrition for the Bears with another starter injured in the game. I can count at least seven currently not playing or left the game and not returning. Keith, Baldwin, Sims, Hall, Miller, Matt Jones, Morgan, McWilliams, and there are others dinged up like Franklin, Walcott, and Qualan Jones. Baylor needs to get healthy.
  8. Shapen needs to quit rolling out of a good pocket and Texas State has scouted him for an interception across his body.
  9. Siake Ika‍ is going to go early in the draft and he’s picking up the intensity when the team needs it in this testy game.
  10. Gavin Holmes‍ with a great seam route and then bursts into the end zone to put this game essentially out of reach for Texas State. Great confidence builder for Shapen to sit in the pocket and deliver the strike on a 3rd and 12 after throwing his first interception at Baylor. 
  11. Baylor seems to have turned the pressure up with some blitz packages on defense and a 3 and out for Texas State due to the pressure. 
  12. A fumble is not what was needed following a 3 and out, but a great hit on the ball forces one from Sqwirl. Defense responds with a great read and TFL by Bryson Jackson‍ and then a blocked FG by what looks like Apu or Utley.
  13. Richard Reese‍ going to push that room the rest of the year. 
  14. Second team and third team defenders in the front seven and Brooks Miller‍ get his first career sack on a wrap.  The new front seven seems ready and energized with a 3 and out. Baylor looks to have sapped the offensive energy from the Bobcats by applying pressure.

Conclusion: There seemed to be some body adjustment time following a physical game in Provo and as the game wore on, the Bears stepped up for victory. Now, onto Ames, where another physical team awaits with an early 11am kick off.

Discussion from...

Ten Things That Stood Out Against Texas State

4,969 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MrGolfguy
BellCountyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shapen's confidence seemed to return as the game wore on. I think the byu game destabilized that.
Oldbear83
A lot of people don't understand the importance of the offensive line and the QB's relationship to them. One reason Aranda had to make the choice between Bohanon and Shapen was the difference in their rapport with the line.

There's a lot of season left to play, and all objectives are still on the table.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
historian
12. As the Bobcats were preparing to kick the FG I was yelling, "Block that ball!" They were right in front of me & not far away but I don't know if they heard me. I'm just glad they did it.

Sic 'em Bears!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
PawpaBear
Our RB room looks good if the O-line holds up.

The RT position and RG is our weak side for pass protection.

Our receivers need to work on routes… all the talent and speed in the world is negated by a press corner who can stunt momentum and route progression/timing.

Glad to see the receivers love Dallas Baker, but I need to see him coach these kids up on their routes.

Injuries… man we need some good ice baths and prayers.
MrGolfguy
The offense was really neutered yesterday without their top 2 receiving targets (Baldwin & Sims). It took them awhile but they finally got things rolling in the 2nd half (Reese a large part of it). Going forward with a full compliment of pass catchers the Bears offense will look & perform much better from the opening gun.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.