Story Poster
Photo by Ames Tribune-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Football

Ten Things That Stood Out Against Iowa State

September 24, 2022

Baylor travelled to Ames to take on Iowa State on Saturday and defeated the Cyclones to snap an 11 game home conference winning streak. Baylor is now 3-1 and back in discussion to play for the title on December 3. 

1. Don’t lead with the crown of your helmets. Anyone. Stop. I’m not a fan of that call, but we don’t need a neck injury or worse in the game. And ISU fans continue to boo like Scott Drew was on the sideline. 
  2. Great to see Ben Sims‍ back on the field. He could be a difference maker if he is 100% against the linebackers attempting to keep the rushing game under control. Really like the game plan early on offense with Shapen taking some yards and simple throws and results in a touchdown for more boos as Sims goes 12 yards.
  3. Offense looks good to great and different from the first three game. Defense needs to get some stops early and bracket Hutchinson while not biting on the play action and keeping him in front of the secondary.
  4. There is what many Baylor fans expected from the defense and offense before the season started. Base offense and defense are built upon with packages for the inexperienced players coming into their own. Need to maintain the lead and keep the confidence up before the half ends and into the start of the second half. 
  5. Baylor continues to substitute freely on defense and getting experience will pay dividends in the future and Cooper Lanz‍ gets his first career sack on a great containment play when Dekkers decided to pull the ball down whle Jaxon Player‍ and Siaki Ika‍ collapsed the pocket.
  6. And all the momentum is gone to start the second half with the secondary getting their roof blown off. That is two catches where the CB released the WR free to the inside. Two differennt CBs, so it makes me wonder if this technique is showing on film and not been corrected prior to game four.
  7. What a play by Devin Lemear‍ on a hit with a coverage change on Hutchinson to jar the ball loose and be intercepted by Devin Neal‍. The adjustment of Bryson Jackson‍ as a speed rusher and short zone drop is evident in the early second half. 
  8. A huge stop on 4th and 4 with 11 to go in the game and all the momentum is on Baylor’s side. Need to run clock and score again to put a 3 score gap and leave Ames with a win and snap the 11 game home conference win streak of the Cyclones. Christian Morgan‍ being back in the lineup has helped.
  9. TRICKERATION!!!!!
  10. What a hustle play by Lorando Johnson, Jr.‍ and Brock to force the fumble and then recover with a knee down while diving out of bounds for the loose ball. 
  11. Baylor has the ball with 7 to go and a 2 possession lead. Getting several first downs will essentlally end the game. Richard Reese‍ and Craig Williams‍ are carrying the load.
  12. HOORAY!!!

Discussion from...

Ten Things That Stood Out Against Iowa State

7,602 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jayman1963
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dabney hurdle was a great thing
Waco1947
historian
14. The true score is 31-17. The Clone player lost possession before crossing the line!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Jack Bauer
15. Matt Campbell is still on the NFL Head Coaching short list I'm told...
McCavebear
Bears had a substitution penalty.

Those kinds of setbacks need to be eliminated.

Baylor needs to get better on first down efficiency on offense.

Overall, a great team win over a good team in a hostile stadium!

Sic 'em!
McCavebear Lives!
Karab
The OL finally looked in sync, and the WRs made some big catches. Even barring the score, that was exactly the improvement the team needed.

Now we just need our corners to continue to improve.
cool34
I saw Grant Miller standing on the sidelines during our offensive drives, is he hurt? Hope not
Waco1947
Mayer is kicking pats Where's Hankins? Did he screw up that badly?
Waco1947
Jack Bauer
Waco1947 said:

Did you see the BYU game?
historian
The kickers for both teams had problems in the BYU game. I seem to remember the announcers saying something about the wind. That might explain it, or at least part of it.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Waco1947
Jack Bauer said:

Waco1947 said:

Yes I saw it
Waco1947
Jorkel
Waco1947 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Waco1947 said:

Yes I saw it

Then you know
Waco1947
Jorkel said:

Waco1947 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Waco1947 said:

Yes I saw it

Then you know
The kid has really been reliable. Mayer had his moments too.
Waco1947
Jorkel
Waco1947 said:

Jorkel said:

Waco1947 said:

Jack Bauer said:

Waco1947 said:

Yes I saw it

Then you know
The kid has really been reliable. Mayer had his moments too.

There were other factors like the snapper being dog **** that game. However Hankins also had the yips that game.
Jayman1963
McCavebear said:

Bears had a substitution penalty.

Those kinds of setbacks need to be eliminated.

Baylor needs to get better on first down efficiency on offense.

Overall, a great team win over a good team in a hostile stadium!

Sic 'em!
Agreed about the penalties. The team does seem to be moving in the right direction concerning penalties:

Albany game: 8-75
BYU game: 14-117
Tx State game: 5-55
ISU game: 3-30
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.