Story Poster
Photo by Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Football

Baylor Falls to Texas in Regular Season Finale, 38-27

November 25, 2022

Austin, Texas – The No. 23 Texas Longhorns (8-4, 6-3) defeated the Baylor Bears (6-6, 4-5) in the regular season finale by a score of 38-27 on Friday afternoon at DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium.

In the loss, Texas outgained Baylor in total yards, 402 to 280. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Blake Shapen finished 18-of-36 passing for 179 yards, an interception and two touchdowns. Freshman Richard Reese led the ground game, rushing for 54 yards on 14 carries. Qualan Jones also contributed 63 all-purpose yards on 20 touches.

Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor’s failed to score an offensive touchdown in the second half.

Baylor jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead after Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers received an intentional grounding penalty in the endzone on the Longhorns' first drive. On offense, Shapen then connected with junior wide receiver Jaylen Ellis for a 42-yard touchdown to put the Bears up 9-0 midway through the first quarter.

Baylor struggled to stop the Texas offense early, allowing touchdowns on the Longhorns' next two possessions. With UT driving late in the second quarter, Ewers missed a wide-open Ja’Tavion Sanders on third and short at the Baylor 20-yard line. The Texas offense was forced to settle for a field goal and led 17-12 with 5:50 remaining in the second.

With the ball at the UT 45-yard line on the final drive of the half, Shapen picked apart the Longhorn defense and connected with senior tight end Ben Sims for a 14-yard touchdown to give Baylor back the lead, 19-17.

Midway through the third quarter, Shapen failed to hit a wide-open Jones on third and nine at the Texas 22-yard line. On the ensuing play, John Mayers missed a field goal from 40 yards out to give the momentum back to Texas.

UT took advantage and drove 78 yards down the field and capped off its drive with a 1-yard Roschon Johnson touchdown to retake the lead, 24-19.

Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports
Bijan Robinson rushed for 179 yards on 29 carries in Saturday’s victory.

As Baylor’s offense began to stall in the second half, the defense came up with a huge play. Walcott forced an Ewers fumble, and defensive lineman Gabe Hall scooped up the ball and scored from the 16-yard line. A successful screen to Hal Presley on the 2-point conversion gave Baylor the 27-24 lead.

On the following drive, Texas began to impose its will on the Baylor defense, running the ball 11 times for 74 yards. Star tailback Bijan Robinson, who ended the afternoon with 179 yards on 29 carries, finished the drive with a 1-yard rushing touchdown to put UT back up 31-27.

On third and long, with Baylor driving to regain the lead, Shapen threw an interception into the arms of Texas linebacker Jaylan Ford.

The Longhorns continued to lean on the running game and iced the victory with an 11-yard touchdown from Johnson to go up 38-27 with 3:48 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Discussion from...

Baylor Falls to Texas in Regular Season Finale, 38-27

2,771 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by adammerve
Patheticus_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shapen should not start next year.

Thanks,
Pecos 45
Unless there is someone demonstrably better than Blake, I don't see that happening.

Yes, I'm disappointed, but he won the starting job in the off season.

IMHO, I seriously wonder if the concussion had anything to do with this.
He has not seemed the same since coming back from it.
I don't want him to be Charlie Brewer II.
I have concerns for his health and will leave it at that.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Oldbear83
We have a well-paid coaching staff, several of whom were specifically tasked to improve Shapen as a QB.

W T F did they do this season?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Pecos 45
Coaches can only do so much.
You cannot "give" someone confidence.
Malcolm Forbes
Oldbear83
Pecos 45 said:

You cannot "give" someone confidence.
Coaches can and do work on timing, vision, technique and accuracy, and if a player is not ready to start, they say so to the Head Coach and another player starts.

Not so much here with QB coaches and the OC.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Pecos 45
I don't disagree with any of that.
But a QB has to "throw with determination" or with confidence.
It's a very delicate tool, and once broken, is hard to repair.
Might as well take a break and let Blake rest up before the bowl game then see what happens.
Malcolm Forbes
adammerve

https://showbox.bio/ https://jfi.uno/jiofilocalhtml
https://adminlogin.co/tplinklogin/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.