Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Football

Opinion: Leaving Your Emotions Out, Shapen Is The Correct Decision

May 23, 2023

The news of Blake Shapen being named Baylor's starting quarterback by Dave Aranda came as a little surprise on Tuesday morning. Aranda had anticipated making the announcement after spring practice, but it was delayed until the spring semester was almost finalized and the summer tour was about to begin.

To continue reading, you must be a SicEm365 Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial
Discussion from...

Opinion: Leaving Your Emotions Out, Shapen Is The Correct Decision

5,721 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Fre3dombear
JP1037
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Claiming not wanting Shapen to start has anything to do with emotions is ridiculous.

Shapen was next to last in QBR in the Big 12 with a 57.0 or that he averaged 1.3 yards per carry rushing and slid to avoid contact on a key 4th down play against TCU. He just doesn't have "IT".

That is not emotion. Kid was bad. The worst QB performance at Baylor in the last 20 years. I don't see any reason we can expect him to all of a sudden figure it out other than wishful thinking.

IowaBear
This, Blake is undoubtably a great person. However he's a pretty terrible QB. I challenge anyone doubting that to go back and watch every game and count the missed TD throws… it's a lot. I'm not talking difficult throws either. His decision making was brutal last year. I'd love to see him improve. But it would take a huge improvement for him to be even slightly above average D1 QB
No Quarterback
Colt, you are never going to have an opinion that disagrees with what coach Aranda or his staff is doing. You didn't even need to post this for everyone to know that you support the decision 110%. It's all about keeping those subscription numbers up
ImwithBU
Shapen is more of the only option and I don't even care that he starts…. At least at the beginning of the season. I care if we are bold enough to bench him if he isn't getting the job done. We will know early on with Utah if he has improved or not. That's when the real decisions have to be made. If we are going to struggle again I rather struggle with a new QB that the old one
BellCountyBear
Bull*****
EckQB10
Shapen needs to produce, last year he did not step into his throws, he was falling back forcing the ball high with little velocity. We want a title, if he doesn't get it done early, it's time for the bench.
BearlyBeloved
Criticism of Shapen is deserved, of course.

But most of it seems to suggest that he is clueless about his performance problems, and I feel certain that is not the case.

Without a doubt he still believes in his own potential and he aspires to be excellent.

With all the wisdom of those who post here, would someone please explain what Blake himself thinks is the problem and what he intends to do about it??

I'll hang up and listen.

BUMBA1
Blake Szymanski 2.0
BluesBear
No Quarterback said:

Colt, you are never going to have an opinion that disagrees with what coach Aranda or his staff is doing. You didn't even need to post this for everyone to know that you support the decision 110%. It's all about keeping those subscription numbers up
This gets a NORTH STAR award....Brightest post of the day...
CorsicanaBear
No Quarterback said:

It's not just subscription numbers its also access to an all that glorious "inside" information.
canoso
EckQB10 said:

Shapen needs to produce, last year he did not step into his throws, he was falling back forcing the ball high with little velocity. We want a title, if he doesn't get it done early, it's time for the bench.
The pic in the article of him nearly at the release point reconfirms the lack of throwing base.
No Quarterback
BluesBear said:

No Quarterback said:

This gets a NORTH STAR award....Brightest post of the day...

The thread title is such an arrogant viewpoint. To infantilize what seems to be the majority opinion by saying that their viewpoint that a quarterback that struggled game after game with no real sign of improvement should not be starter is "emotional" is insulting, and it shows the disdain the mods have for a huge chunk of their paid subscribers
robal
I was on Shapen's side all year, but when you miss a WIDE open TE 10 yards in front of you that changes everything. Unless there was something about his health we didn't know about I am going to question Coach's decision. Granted we are not at practice every day but Shapen continued to decline as the season progressed last year.
Fre3dombear
Blake is kinda like watching that aggy Chuck knoblauch try to throw from 2nd to 1st

I hope he improves. I believe he wants to
I think he lacks confidence and probably has the weight of the world in his shoulders with the feeling of "here we go again" from the fans whispering in his ear and he doesn't have the mettle to shove it up the haters' collective asses

Maybe all that changes. I hope for our entertainment sake it does.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.