Football
Sponsored by

Colorado AD Rick George on Buffs' future

7,396 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Russell Gym
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Bear8084
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

IowaBear said:

Tell us why CO is getting invited? This feels like a situation of adding just to add. There's no value that I can see in adding a perennial dumpster fire of a program
This. Colorado is neat -right now- but long term, adding another also ran (poor recent on the field history, no new recruiting grounds, etc.) does not add much value other than the guaranteed additional media payout to the Big 12 by adding a P5 team. That guaranteed value is great, but does adding Colorado make the league better or higher profile? Eh...

The challenge for Colorado is that they could potentially make $0 in media payouts for 2024-2025 if it joined the Big 12 for that season since the current media deal would still be in place, and it does not allow for guaranteed additional payouts.
Colorado's value is pretty simple. A) It gets the Big 12 (back) into a new, big market. B) It doubles the number of games the Big 12 can put in that late time slot.

Colorado isn't likely the top target in the PAC-12, but it's the most willing one. So the plan is to get them to jump and then scoop up others that might help fulfill the league's long-term vision.
Bear8084
bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

IowaBear said:

Tell us why CO is getting invited? This feels like a situation of adding just to add. There's no value that I can see in adding a perennial dumpster fire of a program
This. Colorado is neat -right now- but long term, adding another also ran (poor recent on the field history, no new recruiting grounds, etc.) does not add much value other than the guaranteed additional media payout to the Big 12 by adding a P5 team. That guaranteed value is great, but does adding Colorado make the league better or higher profile? Eh...

The challenge for Colorado is that they could potentially make $0 in media payouts for 2024-2025 if it joined the Big 12 for that season since the current media deal would still be in place, and it does not allow for guaranteed additional payouts.
Colorado's value is pretty simple. A) It gets the Big 12 (back) into a new, big market. B) It doubles the number of games the Big 12 can put in that late time slot.

Colorado isn't likely the top target in the PAC-12, but it's the most willing one. So the plan is to get them to jump and then scoop up others that might help fulfill the league's long-term vision.

If it happens, the added visual bonus of the Big 12 grabbing a P5 school is also a plus.
historian
Hasn't the Pac12-2 been bluffing about their media deals for months now? Why would anyone believe their propaganda? It's almost as bad as the mainstream media, on any topic!

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
… especially if others follow. I'm thinking mainly about the 2 in Arizona but their might be other possibilities.
Robert Wilson
My god, so many of you think small and short term. Colorado is a national brand. If you can get them back, you take them. It further destabilizes the pac, which helps ensure our long-term existence as a relevant and major conference.
gobears20
Staff
Harrison Bergeron
gobears20 said:

I've been told by a very reliable source, these types of talks have been going on for sometime now, and juicy Smalls was attacked by kids from Covington high school.
PartyBear
These commentators lose credibility as soon as they imply Sanders has not only any role but some major role in CU's conference affiliation.
gobears20
Staff
Local media

BBWCBear
My only thoughts are... I'm still unexcited over CO moving to B12, the Corner Schools have basically fought in every possible way of being associated with the B12, outspoken about it, etc. WHAT will be the case if they DO come along with their distaste, arrogance and likely not having any real allegiance to the Conference long term?
Last, but not least, isn't it all moot until SEC & B1G select their final members to be? It's just 24/7/12mos chaos on and on and on. I really don't like it at all.
PartyBear
BBWCBear said:

My only thoughts are... I'm still unexcited over CO moving to B12, the Corner Schools have basically fought in every possible way of being associated with the B12, outspoken about it, etc. WHAT will be the case if they DO come along with their distaste, arrogance and likely not having any real allegiance to the Conference long term?
Last, but not least, isn't it all moot until SEC & B1G select their final members to be? It's just 24/7/12mos chaos on and on and on. I really don't like it at all.
I think it has just been Utah that has had that attitude and it is just their fans and some vocal alums I suppose on Twitter not anyone officially or professionally tied to the school. I have not heard CU partisans stating that kind of stuff however.
Harrison Bergeron
Colorado itself is not the most exciting, but it is about puts and takes. Getting 2-4 major football programs solidifies the XII and the #3 conference and the most stable, assuming a few ACC defections.
historian
I would expect Pac 12 arrogance to be diminished because right now they need us more than we need them. If they do demonstrate hubris anyone from the B12 could remind them of a few salient facts.
gobears20
Staff
EatMoreSalmon
gobears20 said:

Why should they agree to a GOR?

Washington and Oregon aren't going to sign an ironclad one. The other schools would need to be in a mad scramble to land in a different P4 conference if those two leave.
Method Man
IowaBear said:

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the allure of adding CO…. They pretty much blow in all major sports and Boulder is a small market. Sure it's close to Denver but that's about the only positive
Im with you. Do we really want these folks back in the BIGXII after they already bailed for what they thought was the bigger and better deal?

This aint the 1990's anymore. Colorado hasn't been a powerhouse football program since the 90's and early 2000's.

Texas A&M, Colorado and Nebraska haven't really accomplished anything in major sports since leaving the BIGXII.
I'm not really sure if we need them back.
Method Man
Robert Wilson said:

My god, so many of you think small and short term. Colorado is a national brand. If you can get them back, you take them. It further destabilizes the pac, which helps ensure our long-term existence as a relevant and major conference.
WAS.

Colorado hasn't done jack squat in football or basketball over the last 20 years.
What happened to their football program once they couldn't promise recruits they would be playing in Texas every year year?

EDIT: I looked it up. The Colorado Buffaloes have had exactly one season in the past 20 years (2016) that they finished the season ranked.
They've had losing seasons in 10 of the 12 years they've been in the PAC-12.

Do we really need these people back just because they are Big State, and they were really good at football 30 years ago?
Its my thought that bringing Colorado back to the BIGXII and Texas benefits them a lot more than it does us.
chorne68
Nothing wrong with a secure win every year.
bossbowman
bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

IowaBear said:

This, if the future is a power 2 the Big 12 needs to position themselves to be the best of the rest, a solid spot as the 3rd strongest conference. It's a chess match and getting Colorado positions the Big 12 very well into achieving that because if Colorado leaves other dominoes likely start to fall in favor of the Big 12.
Robert Wilson
Method Man said:

Robert Wilson said:

WAS.

Colorado hasn't done jack squat in football or basketball over the last 20 years.
What happened to their football program once they couldn't promise recruits they would be playing in Texas every year year?
Hmmm ... wonder why they might want to return to the Big 12?

Agree they haven't done anything impressive for a long time. I wish they'd have been here the last long stretch so we could've built up a good record against them.

But they're still a national brand. Football NC, look at the noise surrounding Deion, P5/large market cache...

Not to mention the value of tipping over the dominoes of the PAC. Maybe predatory, but helps ensure our survival as conf #3 or at worst 4. SEC and B10 can't just play with each other.
historian
bossbowman said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

IowaBear said:

This, if the future is a power 2 the Big 12 needs to position themselves to be the best of the rest, a solid spot as the 3rd strongest conference. It's a chess match and getting Colorado positions the Big 12 very well into achieving that because if Colorado leaves other dominoes likely start to fall in favor of the Big 12.

That may be the only reason to add Colorado. Well, that & a regional match up for BYU.
Stefano DiMera
Exactly..you can be a national brand and still suck. Nebraska is a prime example...Blueblood is different..
IowaBear
Since when is Colorado a national brand?
ABC BEAR
Stefano DiMera said:

Yourmarks wife is the daughter of a former boss in the Gambino crime family..he don't play.
Does BY offer deals that you can't refuse?
PartyBear
If the XII takes CU how will other dominos P5 world fall exactly. I keep seeing that. Our taking CU does not create enough votes to dissolve the Pac. Our taking CU does not make the B10 take O and UW and even if it did, there are not enough votes to dissolve the Pac. (My assumption here is that it takes 7 votes). It might make everyone else in the Pac scramble and start begging the XII and B10 for admission but that isnt going to make it happen.
Method Man
Stefano DiMera said:

Exactly..you can be a national brand and still suck. Nebraska is a prime example...Blueblood is different..
You guys are showing your age.

Nebraska and Colorado haven't been worth a damn in the 21st Century.

Nebraska was amazing in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
Colorado kicked all kinds of ass between 1989-2002
But in 2023....... who cares what you accomplished 20-30 years ago?????

Nebraska, Texas and some of these old school powers are never going to get back to what they were because they dominated in a time when they had a tremendous advantages over everyone else.

They might have a few good years every now and then....but gone are the days were Nebraska and OU are going to dominate the BIG-8 for 30 years because they are the only school that plays in a big stadium, or that is on TV.
Method Man
IowaBear said:

Since when is Colorado a national brand?
back In the 1990's when they had Kordell Stewart, Rashaan Salaam, Bill McCartney and Rick Neuheisel.

2001 is the last time the Colorado Buffaloes (or the Nebraska Corn Huskers) had an elite football season. This was the last year that either of these two schools had a team finish in the top 10.
IowaBear
That explains it… I wasn't born until the 90's
bear2be2
historian said:

bossbowman said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

IowaBear said:

That may be the only reason to add Colorado. Well, that & a regional match up for BYU.
Yep. If Colorado gets Arizona to the Big 12, they're worth adding. If they don't, I could take them or leave them.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

If the XII takes CU how will other dominos P5 world fall exactly. I keep seeing that. Our taking CU does not create enough votes to dissolve the Pac. Our taking CU does not make the B10 take O and UW and even if it did, there are not enough votes to dissolve the Pac. (My assumption here is that it takes 7 votes). It might make everyone else in the Pac scramble and start begging the XII and B10 for admission but that isnt going to make it happen.
It gives any other programs that are on the fence the push they might need to leave. Namely Arizona. The Big 12 shouldn't be worried about killing the PAC-12. They should be worried about bolstering their product and brand enough to carve out a niche in the high major athletic scene and build and sustainable future.
PartyBear
Leave for where though if they dont add revenue for the XII? Again as we all know what conference each school is in is not soley their choice. That is my point. Just because CU leaves for the XII doesnt mean everyone else who decides they want to join or has wanted to join can just come on down.
Stefano DiMera
Competitiveness has nothing to do about being a brand .I'm talking the school in general

Stanford is a brand and their athletics suck. It's their academics.

Colorado is a brand based on location in a large state and market and reputation as a party school.
ilikebu
Colorado has Denver, which has a huge airport.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.