Big 12 expansion eyes Memphis, 'substantive' talks with Colorado, per reports

19,689 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by boognish_bear
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't someone post on another thread somewhere a few days ago that Swaim was very unreliable? Or am I mixing him up with someone else?
CorsicanaBear
The Twitteratti are all unreliable. Until they aren't.
historian
Some on Twitter never become reliable. It usually seems like most of them are unreliable.

Elon Musk's changes with community notes helps keep people honest.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
montypython
The last round or two of expansion has really sucked some of the fun out of college athletics. It not only sucks for fans because traveling can be tedious and expensive, but it sucks for parents of the players too - for all sports.

I'll never go to Morgantown, Orlando, Cincinnati, nor Provo to see our Bears play.

I would like to see them play, but I'm not spending thousands of dollars to fly around the country. **ck that.

Robert Wilson
BearBall said:

You can work as hard as you want trying to salvage the B12 but Baylor better be trying to get into the B10 or SEC. That's the future of college football.
Cocaine is a helluva drug.
FLBear5630

This is Finebaum's view. He predicts the PAC collapsing just like our board. However, his final prediction is not that the B12 is the 3rd Conference...

Paul Finebaum Predicts Major Conference Will 'Collapse' By 2026 (msn.com)
EatMoreSalmon
Show me what makes Finebaum a good prognosticator, and maybe I'll consider what he says. His record for accuracy that I recall isn't very good.

Anything can happen right now in the college football world. My prediction (about as valuable as Finebaum's) is the the B1G and SEC will get something together and go their own way - dumping the NCAA while they're at it.
CorsicanaBear
EatMoreSalmon said:

Show me what makes Finebaum a good prognosticator, and maybe I'll consider what he says. His record for accuracy that I recall isn't very good.

Anything can happen right now in the college football world. My prediction (about as valuable as Finebaum's) is the the B1G and SEC will get something together and go their own way - dumping the NCAA while they're at it.
Ditto on all of that.
FLBear5630
EatMoreSalmon said:

It is a report from a SEC mouthpiece. Or, because we don't like what he says is Finebaum now considered "clickbait"?

Finebaum, like him or not, is well connected in the SEC and puts out the message the SEC wants. This makes my wonder does the SEC want the ACC to win out as the third conference? You weren't surprised to see the ACC in there??

As I have said all along, the people on this board seem to think the B12 is in a stronger position than it appears when looking at what is happening in the rest of the Nation. I fear that when the music stops we will look more like an AAC Conference than a P5 Conference. For example, adding UCONN and Memphis. None of the corner schools making a move yet. Talking BB as if it is Football. Those are all actions that made the Big East become the AAC.
MT_Bear
FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

It is a report from a SEC mouthpiece. Or, because we don't like what he says is Finebaum now considered "clickbait"?

Finebaum, like him or not, is well connected in the SEC and puts out the message the SEC wants. This makes my wonder does the SEC want the ACC to win out as the third conference? You weren't surprised to see the ACC in there??

As I have said all along, the people on this board seem to think the B12 is in a stronger position than it appears when looking at what is happening in the rest of the Nation. I fear that when the music stops we will look more like an AAC Conference than a P5 Conference. For example, adding UCONN and Memphis. None of the corner schools making a move yet. Talking BB as if it is Football. Those are all actions that made the Big East become the AAC.

Finebaum is giving his opinion, not sending a message on behalf of the SEC. The ACC (as a whole/ as a conference) is in worse position than the Big XII simply because there are 4-8 properties within the ACC that the B1G and SEC would like to aquire, whereas there are no such properties in the Big XII (which means that individual schools of the ACC are in a much better long term position than those of the Big XII).
FLBear5630
MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

Finebaum is giving his opinion, not sending a message on behalf of the SEC. The ACC (as a whole/ as a conference) is in worse position than the Big XII simply because there are 4-8 properties within the ACC that the B1G and SEC would like to aquire, whereas the Big XII does not (which means that individual schools of the ACC are in a much better long term position than those of the Big XII).
Yeah, we know more and have better contacts than Finebaum...
boykin_spaniel
You must be new here. Most seem to despise Finebaum because he's said things that don't align with our beloved conference and after 2016 said mean things…

We are not a lock to be conference number 3. We look better than the PAC right now and should have a little more money than the ACC but not like we're ever going to get a billion dollar media rights deal like SEC and Bigg10
MT_Bear
FLBear5630 said:

MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

Finebaum is giving his opinion, not sending a message on behalf of the SEC. The ACC (as a whole/ as a conference) is in worse position than the Big XII simply because there are 4-8 properties within the ACC that the B1G and SEC would like to aquire, whereas the Big XII does not (which means that individual schools of the ACC are in a much better long term position than those of the Big XII).

Are you of the opinion that Finebaum, running a show for entertainment, is incapable of simply giving his opinion on something, and that instead everything he says must be some more deeply coded message? Take off the tinfoil if so. Don't divert. You were given a logical response, and you offered no substance in reply. The ACC has schools the P2 want. The Big XII does not. Thus by virtue of being unwanted, the Big XII is likely more stable in the long term, even though that is relatively unfortunate for the Big XII schools.
Aliceinbubbleland
FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

Agree 100%. I believe ESPN is a co-owner of SEC Network so Finebaum has inside information on SEC and ESPN.

Right now the ACC is in a much stronger market then the soon to be Big 12 minus OUT and appears to have iron clad exit fees.. Clemson, FSU, Miami, Carolina are bigger draws nationally than our soon to be top four in 2024.

I fear the Big 12 will wind up offering SDSU since they have put themselves in a pickle telling their current conference they are leaving and the Pac 12 doesn't appear to dangle an offer. With out expansionist Commishner I have no doubt he might extend the lifeline to SDSU.

Oregon and Washington will be able to hold the Pac12 together and Colorado and Arizona will not leave without them in my opinion.
BearFan33
MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

Are you of the opinion that Finebaum, running a show for entertainment, is incapable of simply giving his opinion on something, and that instead everything he says must be some more deeply coded message? Take off the tinfoil if so. Don't divert. You were given a logical response, and you offered no substance in reply. The ACC has schools the P2 want. The Big XII does not. Thus by virtue of being unwanted, the Big XII is likely more stable in the long term, even though that is relatively unfortunate for the Big XII schools.
Despite looking like a character from middle earth, Finebaum does have his own opinion and spouts it often. I would argue he has an SEC bias which is fine and makes him a lot of money.

The ACC is in grave danger of losing its biggest brands to the SEC and/or B10. They are where the B12 was prior to the first rounds of realignment. Will they find a way to weather the storm, it's possible.
FLBear5630
Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

Agree 100%. I believe ESPN is a co-owner of SEC Network so Finebaum has inside information on SEC and ESPN.

Right now the ACC is in a much stronger market then the soon to be Big 12 minus OUT and appears to have iron clad exit fees.. Clemson, FSU, Miami, Carolina are bigger draws nationally than our soon to be top four in 2024.

I fear the Big 12 will wind up offering SDSU since they have put themselves in a pickle telling their current conference they are leaving and the Pac 12 doesn't appear to dangle an offer. With out expansionist Commishner I have no doubt he might extend the lifeline to SDSU.

Oregon and Washington will be able to hold the Pac12 together and Colorado and Arizona will not leave without them in my opinion.
I am with you.

When the 4 corner schools view the B12 as a last ditch option, that makes me worry. What do they know that the B12 doesn't.

Also, the ACC has more history and better connections than the B12, if only through Tobacco Road. They are not going to be an easy out, especially if the SEC is working with them. I would not doubt that the SEC is supporting the ACC.

In Florida, the ACC is viewed as a southern conference at least in my experience. I can see the SEC and ACC working together. But that is all speculation.
FLBear5630
MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

No, but his "opinion" usually revolves around forwarding an SEC objective and ensuring the SEC is the dominant conference. He is definitely not an objective journalist, he is the media personification of the SEC. Listen to his show. If Saban wants to get a message out, you will hear Finebaum parroting what it. I live in SEC country, the SEC is like the Dems they stick together and will toe the party line.

So, it may be his opinion but his opinion is usually in concert with the SEC's wants...
MT_Bear
FLBear5630 said:

MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

No, but his "opinion" usually revolves around forwarding an SEC objective and ensuring the SEC is the dominant conference. He is definitely not an objective journalist, he is the media personification of the SEC. Listen to his show. If Saban wants to get a message out, you will hear Finebaum parroting what it. I live in SEC country, the SEC is like the Dems they stick together and will toe the party line.

So, it may be his opinion but his opinion is usually in concert with the SEC's wants...

That his opinion often reflects an SEC bias does not mean that every word he utters is SEC-approved deep state rumblings. That's the point. So passingly opining that the ACC may be in better shape long term than the Big XII means nothing. If anything, I would wager that if he even put any thought into that statement at all, he is simply cognizant of the fact that he draws other southern listeners besides just SEC fans, and as such he wants to pander to them.
FLBear5630
MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

That his opinion often reflects an SEC bias does not mean that every word he utters is SEC-approved deep state rumblings. That's the point. So passingly opining that the ACC may be in better shape long term than the Big XII means nothing. If anything, I would wager that if he even put any thought into that statement at all, he is simply cognizant of the fact that he draws other southern listeners besides just SEC fans, and as such he wants to pander to them.

Yeah, B12 is in drivers seat. ACC is dead...
Aberzombie1892
FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

He didn't say anything negative about the Big 12. The writer of the story implied that the Big 12 wasn't a top 3 conference, but that wasn't quoting Finebaum.
FLBear5630
Aberzombie1892 said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

He didn't say anything negative about the Big 12. The writer of the story implied that the Big 12 wasn't a top 3 conference, but that wasn't quoting Finebaum.
Yeah, all is good. Finebaum doesn't know what he is talking about and the fact he lists the SEC, B10 and ACC as the major conferences means nothing. Finebaum has no idea what he is talking about.

As for the B12, are we still courting UCONN, Memphis and now SDSU? Things are looking up...
EatMoreSalmon
FLBear5630 said:

MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

MT_Bear said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

Yeah, B12 is in drivers seat. ACC is dead...
The ACC media deal is handy dandy and the conference will poach the PAC and Big XII and grow like crazy!

Or more likely, if your opinion of his messaging is right, Finebaum is helping to prop up the ACC until they get sliced and diced down the road.
bear2be2
FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

When the 4 corner schools view the B12 as a last ditch option, that makes me worry. What do they know that the B12 doesn't.

Also, the ACC has more history and better connections than the B12, if only through Tobacco Road. They are not going to be an easy out, especially if the SEC is working with them. I would not doubt that the SEC is supporting the ACC.

In Florida, the ACC is viewed as a southern conference at least in my experience. I can see the SEC and ACC working together. But that is all speculation.
Anyone who thinks Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, etc. will still be in the ACC when that league's grant of rights expires or is broken hasn't been paying attention. Those schools will bolt for the SEC or Big Ten at the earliest possible opportunity, and the remaining ACC brands will be no more valuable than the Big 12's when it happens.

The Big 12, PAC-12 and ACC are all "leftover" leagues. And the Big 12 is at an extreme advantage because it was forced to make that realization and respond accordingly earlier than the others.
FLBear5630
bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

Anyone who thinks Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, etc. will still be in the ACC when that league's grant of rights expires or is broken hasn't been paying attention. Those schools will bolt for the SEC or Big Ten at the earliest possible opportunity, and the remaining ACC brands will be no more valuable than the Big 12's when it happens.

The Big 12, PAC-12 and ACC are all "leftover" leagues. And the Big 12 is at an extreme advantage because it was forced to make that realization and respond accordingly earlier than the others.
To date the schools that we are attached to for additions are Memphis, SDSU and UCONN.

The corner schools seem to be looking for anything else rather than join the B12, even taking less money.

Sorry, I see the G5. We are making the same moves as the Big East did before they were relegated. Even talking to the same schools.

IMO, we have a tendency on this Board to only see what we want and what certain talking heads push. Not seeing any of the steps needed to make the B12 #3 actually occurring, to the contrary the schools we are talking about our 2nd rate, the P5 schools are doing anything they can NOT to be in the B12, and we are talking BB as if it is fooball, if you are paying attention. Not to mention the media discussions. You really see the B12 being the #3?
EatMoreSalmon
FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

To date the schools that we are attached to for additions are Memphis, SDSU and UCONN.

The corner schools seem to be looking for anything else rather than join the B12, even taking less money.

Sorry, I see the G5. We are making the same moves as the Big East did before they were relegated. Even talking to the same schools.

IMO, we have a tendency on this Board to only see what we want and what certain talking heads push. Not seeing any of the steps needed to make the B12 #3 actually occurring, to the contrary the schools we are talking about our 2nd rate, the P5 schools are doing anything they can NOT to be in the B12, and we are talking BB as if it is fooball, if you are paying attention. Not to mention the media discussions. You really see the B12 being the #3?
Not buying Memphis. SDSU is likely in for the PAC. UCONN is intriguing, but likely not first on the list either.
FLBear5630
EatMoreSalmon said:

FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

Not buying Memphis. SDSU is likely in for the PAC. UCONN is intriguing, but likely not first on the list either.
I am good with that.

I am just not seeing moves that reconcile with the message, while seeing other Conferences either still be around longer than expected or being mentioned by the big two as a third.
Stefano DiMera
We also have a tendency as fans to act like we have all the information in front of us.

I trust Yourmark is privy to things we don't have knowledge of.
Aberzombie1892
FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

The ACC/Big 12/PAC 12 will all be essentially G5+ (as compared to the SEC/B1G) beginning in 2024, even if it's not really visible until a few seasons later after the new checks have cleared and the expanded CFP has set in. No one is really disputing that or the fact that the Big 12 commish is doing what he can given the hand that he has been dealt. That appears to mean, among other things, pursuing basketball programs for conference expansion, separating Big 12 basketball (elite) from Big 12 football (non-elite) and setting up the Big 12 in Mexico.

In terms of the Big 12 being #3, that's a complex assertion. On one hand, the Big 12 has the ability to shake up its conference immediately by taking whoever it wants from the G5 during a time of uncertainty across the landscape (legacy media vs. streaming; the Big 12 vs. PAC 12, the future of the B1G/SEC, the future of the NCAA, etc.), however, on the other hand, the ACC can sit on its hands until the 2030s and be able to strategically make changes once the landscape has stabilized even though it will likely be losing at least 4 of its members. Either way, it's impossible to know for sure what will happen in the future, however, in the near term, one could make the argument for Big 12 being #3 -right now- simply because (1) the Big 12 is forced to prepare for its future in the near term by finalizing its composition when other conferences (potentially) have more time to both lose and add teams, (2) Big 12 basketball is elite, (3) the Big 12 has a reasonable media deal compared to the PAC12 and ACC and (4) there is virtually no threat of a B1G/SEC taking Big 12 teams.
FLBear5630
Aberzombie1892 said:

FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

The ACC/Big 12/PAC 12 will all be essentially G5+ (as compared to the SEC/B1G) beginning in 2024, even if it's not really visible until a few seasons later after the new checks have cleared and the expanded CFP has set in. No one is really disputing that or the fact that the Big 12 commish is doing what he can given the hand that he has been dealt. That appears to mean, among other things, pursuing basketball programs for conference expansion, separating Big 12 basketball (elite) from Big 12 football (non-elite) and setting up the Big 12 in Mexico.

In terms of the Big 12 being #3, that's a complex assertion. On one hand, the Big 12 has the ability to shake up its conference immediately by taking whoever it wants from the G5 during a time of uncertainty across the landscape (legacy media vs. streaming; the Big 12 vs. PAC 12, the future of the B1G/SEC, the future of the NCAA, etc.), however, on the other hand, the ACC can sit on its hands until the 2030s and be able to strategically make changes once the landscape has stabilized even though it will likely be losing at least 4 of its members. Either way, it's impossible to know for sure what will happen in the future, however, in the near term, one could make the argument for Big 12 being #3 -right now- simply because (1) the Big 12 is forced to prepare for its future in the near term by finalizing its composition when other conferences (potentially) have more time to both lose and add teams, (2) Big 12 basketball is elite, (3) the Big 12 has a reasonable media deal compared to the PAC12 and ACC and (4) there is virtually no threat of a B1G/SEC taking Big 12 teams.
Fair enough. I have less trouble with that than the other stuff out there. The facts that are occurring fit what you say. I see the B12 as a high end G5 when this is done. Just not seeing or hearing the B12 being included in the big dance.

That is why I have problems hearing the take only Oregon, AZ and Washington. B12 should be choosy. Stanford and the rest are not big enough. There is no threat of another Conference stealing our schools. Make Colorado pay for leaving. etc.

bear2be2
FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

I am good with that.

I am just not seeing moves that reconcile with the message, while seeing other Conferences either still be around longer than expected or being mentioned by the big two as a third.
Or perhaps you're just misinterpreting the message. The Big 12 just added four non-P5 schools -- three from major metro areas and a fourth with a large religious following -- and added value to its media rights deal. In the absence of name brands, Yormark's mission is about adding territory. The Big 12 is working to expand its footprint into new regions with lots of available eyeballs. When you take that into account, successful G5 programs in major metro areas make a lot more sense.
FLBear5630
bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

I am good with that.

Or perhaps you're just misinterpreting the message. The Big 12 just added four non-P5 schools -- three from major metro areas and a fourth with a large religious following -- and added value to its media rights deal. In the absence of name brands, Yormark's mission is about adding territory. The Big 12 is working to expand its footprint into new regions with lots of available eyeballs. When you take that into account, successful G5 programs in major metro areas make a lot more sense.
Could be. Gonna be tough to break into a playoff diluting the quality of play more. When your premier school is OSU or BYU? Adding from G5s seems counter productive. A merger with PAC or ACC would seem more of a move. If SEC is working with ACC, that will be tough.
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

As long as the Big 12, ACC and PAC-12 have consistent access to the playoff, this P2/G5 nonsense is just that. The mid-tier autonomy conferences will be at a financial disadvantage to the Big Ten and SEC, but that's not news. The Big 12 and its peer leagues will still be making way more in media revenue than the G5 leagues do and will still have theoretical access to the national championship picture.
Assassin
Aberzombie1892 said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

That was my impression too, Harold Haines or something like that was the one that spoke of the three conference thing, not Finebaum. However I didnt listen to the whole podcast, just read the article after starting the podcast and getting bored
bear2be2
FLBear5630 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

Fair enough. I have less trouble with that than the other stuff out there. The facts that are occurring fit what you say. I see the B12 as a high end G5 when this is done. Just not seeing or hearing the B12 being included in the big dance.

That is why I have problems hearing the take only Oregon, AZ and Washington. B12 should be choosy. Stanford and the rest are not big enough. There is no threat of another Conference stealing our schools. Make Colorado pay for leaving. etc.

The two best G5 leagues, the AAC and the Mountain West, distribute $7 million and $4 million per school, respectively, in media revenue annually. Anyone referring to the Big 12, which will distribute more than $30 million per school in its new deal, as a G5 is displaying their ignorance.

There is a much larger financial gap between the mid-tier P5 leagues and the existing G5 conferences than there is between mid-tier P5 leagues and the "so called" P2.
bear2be2
FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

FLBear5630 said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

I am with you.

I am good with that.

Could be. Gonna be tough to break into a playoff diluting the quality of play more. When your premier school is OSU or BYU? Adding from G5s seems counter productive. A merger with PAC or ACC would seem more of a move. If SEC is working with ACC, that will be tough.
You're relying more on your biases than data when drawing these conclusions. ESPN and FOX just told us with their wallets that adding the four non-P5 programs we did added value to the league. And the lack of a merger between the Big 12 and PAC-12 should tell us that such a move would be dilutive for the Big 12 schools. If there was money to be made there, that would have been the first move made.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.