Football
Sponsored by

CMR bringing the fire in pre-game speech

16,995 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by dstaylor57
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ScottS
You don't think Aranda could do a speech like this??
BellCountyBear
Appreciate that!
Big12Bear
Good speech. I think this was right before getting down 45-0 to Michigan
CTbruin
I wonder if he gave the same inspirational talk before our Liberty game
BluesBear
Holy Dog Crap....The King of the BS that's laughing all the way to the bank...Matty needs to pump the brakes some - too many wins in his first year...
boognish_bear
I never understand all the shxtting on CMR.

I would take him back right now. It sucked we were his stepping stone to the NFL....and he did have a little used car salesman to him (like a lot of successful HCs)...but he was good.

He gave us an identity, gave us toughness, knew how to hold leads, and was putting guys in the NFL. With Bell and Joey opening doors he eventually had THSCA singing his and Baylor's praises.

He made a lot of right moves and got us through a very precarious time when our program could have been set back 10 to 20 years.
parch
boognish_bear said:

I would take him back right now. It sucked we were his stepping stone to the NFL....and he did have a little used car salesman to him (like a lot of successful HCs)...but he was good.

He gave us an identity, gave us toughness, knew how to hold leads, and was putting guys in the NFL. With Bell and Joey opening doors he eventually had THSCA singing his and Baylor's praises.

He made a lot of right moves and got us through a very precarious time when our program could have been set back 10 to 20 years.
I just assume everyone destroying Rhule for being a mercenary has never accepted a better job offer for more money, responsibility and prestige. Because otherwise they are the height of hypocrisy as they'd do the exact same thing in the exact same scenario. The only difference in this case is that they have green/gold glasses on.

Rhule took us to a conference title game two years after he got here while still mired in the aftershocks of one of the great CFB scandals of our time and laid the foundations for the greatest season in Baylor football history. As far as I'm concerned, that completely absolves him of any jilted lover fantasies so many on this board retain to this day.
Jacques Strap
CMR pregame speeches are overrated
CMR intensity in practice, demanding full effort on each play, player development, S&C, schemes that fit the players on the roster, locker room leaders, attention to details, mental toughness, … underrated.

CST Bear
parch said:

boognish_bear said:

I just assume everyone destroying Rhule for being a mercenary has never accepted a better job offer for more money, responsibility and prestige. Because otherwise they are the height of hypocrisy as they'd do the exact same thing in the exact same scenario. The only difference in this case is that they have green/gold glasses on.

Rhule took us to a conference title game two years after he got here while still mired in the aftershocks of one of the great CFB scandals of our time and laid the foundations for the greatest season in Baylor football history. As far as I'm concerned, that completely absolves him of any jilted lover fantasies so many on this board retain to this day.
this is the only take.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

In addition to reasons posted by Parch, which are all very valid, Matt Rhule's biggest sin against those here who trash him constantly is he wasn't Art Briles. In fact, he was -- in many ways -- the anti-Art Briles.

A lot of folks made up their mind about him the during that rough first year, ignoring the foundation that was being laid at that time. And they just dug their heels deeper and deeper in the ground, even as the results were flipping.

I also think there's some resentment toward Rhule because he was proof that someone other than Art Briles could win big at Baylor. And that the gimmicks, ethical line-blurring, "swagger" and other various factors that many #CAB fans convinced themselves were necessary to win at Baylor really weren't.
PartyBear
I dont think it is the fact he is a mercenary. All of them are. So is Aranda. That said he just isnt as great of a coach as a few adulators of him here continue to try to argue every chance they get even now.
Stefano DiMera
Correct..all this ' we need to have a high flying offense because it's the only way to win' crowd is kinda pathetic.

As if Baylor can only win with gimmicky schemes .

We won with complimentary football under Rhule. Which by the way .right or wrong..is looked at more favorably by the folks on the CFB committee.
Bearknuckle
parch said:

boognish_bear said:

I don't hate on Rhule for wanting to go to the NFL - he was always very clear on that. But when you start slacking off current job duties because you're concentrating on landing the new gig - yeah that's a problem.

So while you're right about what he did *for* Baylor, that doesn't magically absolve him of what he did *to* Baylor on his way out the door: it doesn't magically wave away his miss rate on recruiting over his last two years.
BUBBFAN
PartyBear said:

I dont think it is the fact he is a mercenary. All of them are. So is Aranda. That said he just isnt as great of a coach as a few adulators of him here continue to try to argue every chance they get even now.

Certainly better than what we have now.
Russell Gym
Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

boognish_bear said:

I don't hate on Rhule for wanting to go to the NFL - he was always very clear on that. But when you start slacking off current job duties because you're concentrating on landing the new gig - yeah that's a problem.

So while you're right about what he did *for* Baylor, that doesn't magically absolve him of what he did *to* Baylor on his way out the door: it doesn't magically wave away his miss rate on recruiting over his last two years.

Yeah, I wish "slacking off" always included a run to the Big 12 Championship & Sugar Bowl, after a historic scandal and negativity coming from every direction at Baylor. If we could only be so lucky.

And, if only he could have left the next staff good enough players to win the Big 12 and Sugar Bowl with the next coach …
Bearknuckle
Russell Gym said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

boognish_bear said:

Yeah, I wish "slacking off" always included a run to the Big 12 Championship & Sugar Bowl, after a historic scandal and negativity coming from every direction at Baylor. If we could only be so lucky.

And, if only he could have left the next staff good enough players to win the Big 12 and Sugar Bowl with the next coach …
2019 was nearly as much smoke & mirrors as TCU's '22 - UGA exposed exactly how far from actually elite we were that year (much as LSU did with OU). We were on the lucky side of the bounces all year that year, had wonderful injury luck as well overall. It was a fun ride, but Rhule hadn't already built some juggernaut.

Everyone claims we give too much credit to Aranda for '21, but '19 is the outlier for Rhule at this point too...
PartyBear
BUBBFAN said:

PartyBear said:

Aranda inexplicably still has Rhule holdover staff members btw. I suspect if Aranda is fired and his successor wins a XII title or something in a few years the small number of Rhule adulators will be trying to tie the success to Rhule having been the coach here at some point in the past. Y'all just watch. Of course none of them will argue any losses post Rhule are due to Rhule only post Rhule wins are due to him having been a predecessor of his successor/s. It isnt Rhule's fault of course that a few year have gone cult over him on this site. But it is annoying and they sort of inadvertently make Rhule annoying by doing so.
Russell Gym
Bearknuckle said:

Russell Gym said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

boognish_bear said:

2019 was nearly as much smoke & mirrors as TCU's '22 - UGA exposed exactly how far from actually elite we were that year (much as LSU did with OU). We were on the lucky side of the bounces all year that year, had wonderful injury luck as well overall. It was a fun ride, but Rhule hadn't already built some juggernaut.

Everyone claims we give too much credit to Aranda for '21, but '19 is the outlier for Rhule at this point too...

Definitely got some breaks in 2019, no doubt. If Rhule had stayed another 2-4 years we would certainly know whether he'd continued the upward trajectory.
parch
Bearknuckle said:

Russell Gym said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

boognish_bear said:

Smoke and mirrors? Who cares? W's are what matters, no matter the path you take there. If it took "smoke and mirrors" to convince recruits to come and build what eventually became the best football team in a century of the program, what difference is it to you? At this time I'd take all the smoke and all the mirrors if it means we're playing relevant games in November again.

This is what I mean by the green/gold glasses. There's always a "yeah but" with some people and Rhule, as if none of what he did is really fully credible because of reasons. There are maybe a handful of guys in America who could've done what he did with the circumstances he was given, and why some folks can't just leave it there smacks of some weird deep wound they can't let go.
Bearknuckle
parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

Smoke and mirrors? Who cares? W's are what matters, no matter the path you take there. If it took "smoke and mirrors" to convince recruits to come and build what eventually became the best football team in a century of the program, what difference is it to you? At this time I'd take all the smoke and all the mirrors if it means we're playing relevant games in November again.

This is what I mean by the green/gold glasses. There's always a "yeah but" with some people and Rhule, as if none of what he did is really fully credible because of reasons. There are maybe a handful of guys in America who could've done what he did with the circumstances he was given, and why some folks can't just leave it there smacks of some weird deep wound they can't let go.
I don't understand why saying Rhule was great for Baylor, but his recruiting was a very mixed bag, the ugliest bits of which are bearing rotten fruit now - that's not nursing some old perceived slight, it's dealing with the final direct outcomes of Rhule's tenure.

FWIW, I think if he hadn't been so intent on the NFL, if he'd been truly trying to build his own empire in Waco, the recruiting trend would likely have been phenomenal given the available evidence. But that didn't happen because Rhule+Baylor was always a marriage of convenience on one side and necessity on the other. Unless Phil Snow was the majority of Rhule's CFB secret sauce, I think he'll build something special at NU eventually, as he does seem to be ready to be there for the long haul.
parch
Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

I don't understand why saying Rhule was great for Baylor, but his recruiting was a very mixed bag, the ugliest bits of which are bearing rotten fruit now - that's not nursing some old perceived slight, it's dealing with the final direct outcomes of Rhule's tenure.

FWIW, I think if he hadn't been so intent on the NFL, if he'd been truly trying to build his own empire in Waco, the recruiting trend would likely have been phenomenal given the available evidence. But that didn't happen because Rhule+Baylor was always a marriage of convenience on one side and necessity on the other. Unless Phil Snow was the majority of Rhule's CFB secret sauce, I think he'll build something special at NU eventually, as he does seem to be ready to be there for the long haul.
I guess you're going to have to explain what "bearing rotten fruit" means in this context. He recruited both of our Big 12 championship game teams in their entirety (minus Jalen Pitre). Aranda got a sprinting start as HC. Any rotten fruit borne out today is Aranda's.
Bearknuckle
parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

I guess you're going to have to explain what "bearing rotten fruit" means in this context. He recruited both of our Big 12 championship game teams in their entirety (minus Jalen Pitre). Aranda got a sprinting start as HC. Any rotten fruit borne out today is Aranda's.
I think you're a bit confused on the timeline here...
Apu Ika, Dillon Doyle, Jacob Gall, Grant Miller, Drew Estrada, Blake Shapen - all key contributors to that season who were Aranda recruits or tranfers.
parch
Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

Apu Ika, Dillon Doyle, Jacob Gall, Grant Miller, Drew Estrada, Blake Shapen - all key contributors to that season who were Aranda recruits or tranfers.
Fair enough, exaggeration on my part for the 2021 season. But point stands that the foundations for that team were set by Rhule, so I'm not sure where this "rotten fruit" argument comes from that somehow he's sabotaging this team from the grave four years after he left.
Bearknuckle
parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

Fair enough, exaggeration on my part for the 2021 season. But point stands that the foundations for that team were set by Rhule, so I'm not sure where this "rotten fruit" argument comes from that somehow he's sabotaging this team from the grave four years after he left.
then you've missed the endless discussion on this topic over the last four weeks. way too much to rehash here - Aranda & Co. bear the bulk of responsibility for what's happened roster-wise, but bottom line Rhule's 2019 class wasn't great, and Aranda's '20 class was super rushed because of the timeline of Rhule's departure.

While it's true that Rhule had a similarly compressed timeline when he got to Baylor, he had the benefit of bringing an established recruiting machine with him, and getting some super adds in McGuire, Wetzel and Bell.
montypython
PartyBear said:

BUBBFAN said:

PartyBear said:

I suspect if Aranda is fired and his successor wins a XII title or something in a few years the small number of Rhule adulators will be trying to tie the success to Rhule having been the coach here at some point in the past.

That's a nice modified straw man argument that you have there.

Good job.
PartyBear
Not really as I said just watch should we be really good again soon.
montypython
boognish_bear said:

I don't understand it either.

The reality is that if CMR didn't come here, there is no 11-win season in 2019 and no Big 12 title in 2021.

montypython
PartyBear said:

Not really as I said just watch should we be really good again soon.
If it's not a straw man then it's an appeal to ridicule because you are distorting the opposing sides viewpoint in a ridiculous manner.

I think CMR did a great job here. If aranda gets canned and a couple guys from Rhules staff somehow manage to stick and that new HC finds success - I would never give Rhule credit for it.
parch
Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

then you've missed the endless discussion on this topic over the last four weeks. way too much to rehash here - Aranda & Co. bear the bulk of responsibility for what's happened roster-wise, but bottom line Rhule's 2019 class wasn't great, and Aranda's '20 class was super rushed because of the timeline of Rhule's departure.

While it's true that Rhule had a similarly compressed timeline when he got to Baylor, he had the benefit of bringing an established recruiting machine with him, and getting some super adds in McGuire, Wetzel and Bell.
I mean... isn't that Rhule's doing though? The staff he put together? Does he not get credit for that? Both who he brought with him and who he hired from Adam?

I think this is part of the main issue here. Rhule gets dinged for having a better staff than Aranda, and Aranda gets dinged for not putting together as good of a staff as Rhule. The coach is over all of it. Staff success is HC success, and vice versa.

I just think blaming Rhule for any part of Aranda's failures is weak sauce and smacks of agenda. Rhule left Aranda with more in the cupboard than most coaches get.
montypython
Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

Bearknuckle said:

bottom line Rhule's 2019 class wasn't great,
Has it been considered that it is perhaps not great because Aranda's staff is shyt and cannot develop, game plan nor lead a program?
Bearknuckle
parch said:

I mean... isn't that Rhule's doing though? The staff he put together? Does he not get credit for that? Both who he brought with him and who he hired from Adam?

I think this is part of the main issue here. Rhule gets dinged for having a better staff than Aranda, and Aranda gets dinged for not putting together as good of a staff as Rhule. The coach is over all of it. Staff success is HC success, and vice versa.

I just think blaming Rhule for any part of Aranda's failures is weak sauce and smacks of agenda. Rhule left Aranda with more in the cupboard than most coaches get.
"dinged" you're the one assigning values here - i'm just describing reality.

Matt Rhule was a long-time HC with long-tenured assistants in every facet of his program.

Dave Aranda was a DC who's HC career began just as the pandemic set in...

So I'm saying that Rhule's first recruiting class was far better than Dave's despite similar timelines, because Rhule came in both with a well developed staff of his own, and was gifted several Texas HC coaches with great connections.

Dave came into a situation needing to learn/develop his own roster building strategy while putting together a staff that was partially comprised of hold overs, one of whom had been the second place finisher in the job search.

That's about as apples to oranges as you're going to get.
jsstewar
Bearknuckle said:

Russell Gym said:

Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

boognish_bear said:

26-14 versus Georgia compared to 65-7.
Bearknuckle
that game was never as close as the final score would indicate, and IIRC Georgia had several starters skip the game...bottom line '19 was a really fun season and good team that caught the lucky break more often than having it go against them...but it didn't portend a guaranteed dynasty under Rhule. cf '23 TCU.
BUBBFAN
Bearknuckle said:

parch said:

"dinged" you're the one assigning values here - i'm just describing reality.

Matt Rhule was a long-time HC with long-tenured assistants in every facet of his program.

Dave Aranda was a DC who's HC career began just as the pandemic set in...

So I'm saying that Rhule's first recruiting class was far better than Dave's despite similar timelines, because Rhule came in both with a well developed staff of his own, and was gifted several Texas HC coaches with great connections.

Dave came into a situation needing to learn/develop his own roster building strategy while putting together a staff that was partially comprised of hold overs, one of whom had been the second place finisher in the job search.

That's about as apples to oranges as you're going to get.
Then, what you are saying is Dave was just a really bad hire. This I agree with.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.