Football
Sponsored by

Baylor has record setting year with 56,000+ new student applications

8,810 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by historian
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think I've seen someone here saying Baylor allows students to apply for free which helps drive this number up a little bit.

I hope all those scholarships are big ones with it costing $70K per year now.

Redbrickbear
Baylor gets about 3,500 students to actually enroll each year.

So its good they have a big applicant pool.

But you have to wonder how many just apply to Baylor to see if they can get in and have no intention (or ability) to pay $70,000 a year.

BigGameBaylorBear
Hope this brings our acceptance rate back down to the 30s
Daveisabovereproach
You know it's bad when a university has to basically come out and say, "we know the sticker price is going to make you crap your pants, hopefully you can get some scholarships kid"
Aberzombie1892
The challenge with Baylor is its acceptance rate given that it's around 40-50% despite having high applications, and one of the main contributors to that issue is that many Baylor applicants also apply to SMU/TCU/UT-Dallas/etc.
boognish_bear
No Quarterback said:

You know it's bad when a university has to basically come out and say, "we know the sticker price is going to make you crap your pants, hopefully you can get some scholarships kid"

Plus....they mentioned taking out loans to cover it. That of course will make the sticker price even higher with interest being applied.
Fre3dombear
Price tag not worth it for most everyone that attends Baylor sadly
Golden Helmet
Clearly, the majority of these applicants do not have a winning football program as a criteria for their school of choice.
Johnny Bear
Redbrickbear said:

But you have to wonder how many just apply to Baylor to see if they can get in and have no intention (or ability) to pay $70,000 a year.

As indicated, it's rare that anybody does end up paying that - otherwise enrollment wouldn't be constantly headed north.
Redbrickbear
Johnny Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

As indicated, it's rare that anybody does end up paying that - otherwise enrollment wouldn't be constantly headed north.

My understanding is that they don't want enrollment to grow.

In fact Baylor undergrad is only 2,000 different from when I was on campus 20 years ago.

While at the same time Texas has added millions of people and many State schools in Texas have grown by 30% or more

Baylor has been pretty consistent over the past 20 years will only a little growth

Aberzombie1892
Most private schools - especially those that aren't extremely wealthy - are not interested in growing enrollment for all of the obvious reasons - scholarships, housing, academics, university resources and the like would all be negatively impacted by such growth.
texillian
My wife graduated from Baylor in the late 90's.

We've always envisioned one of our 4 kids might be able attend. But the price has absolutely driven us away. Talking with other Baylor grads this seems a pretty common experience. Even if we're able to get the cost of attendance to half of the sticker price: $140k for a 4 year degree is insanity. There is no degree plan in existence where that's a good ROI.

Obviously, demand being what it is, there's still a significant pool of people willing to apply, so I'm really not sure what to make of the observation.
Dman
Basically they are saying.."we may hand out some aide, but reality is you or your child are going to graduate with a mountain of student loans/debt. Sorry….not sorry."

boognish_bear
texillian said:

We've always envisioned one of our 4 kids might be able attend. But the price has absolutely driven us away. Talking with other Baylor grads this seems a pretty common experience. Even if we're able to get the cost of attendance to half of the sticker price: $140k for a 4 year degree is insanity. There is no degree plan in existence where that's a good ROI.

Obviously, demand being what it is, there's still a significant pool of people willing to apply, so I'm really not sure what to make of the observation.

That is us. My son applied just to be accepted… but we had no plans of sending him there. He grew up a Baylor fan and would've been a third generation Bear on both sides of our family.

He smartly wants to graduate with zero debt… and that would not happen at Baylor unfortunately. There are better financial options out there from other schools who's names will carry just as much weight as Baylor's when he starts looking for jobs.

Obviously… they are having no problem finding families willing to pay that marked up price so they've got no incentive to lower it.
Aberzombie1892
The comments in this thread, and general economics, make it clear that if the federal government stopped guaranteeing student loans, Baylor would probably be a casualty of that as Baylor cannot justify its costs in any quantitative manner.
Bearwhiz
boognish_bear said:

texillian said:

That is us. My son applied just to be accepted… but we had no plans of sending him there. He grew up a Baylor fan and would've been a third generation Bear on both sides of our family.

He smartly wants to graduate with zero debt… and that would not happen at Baylor unfortunately. There are better financial options out there from other schools who's names will carry just as much weight as Baylor's when he starts looking for jobs.

Obviously… they are having no problem finding families willing to pay that marked up price so they've got no incentive to lower it.

We are right there with you. Our son was accepted but we can't justify the cost. I don't want him saddled with that much debt. Sad.
Golden Helmet
It's not a good ROI
Redbrickbear
Aberzombie1892 said:

The comments in this thread, and general economics, make it clear that if the federal government stopped guaranteeing student loans, Baylor would probably be a casualty of that as Baylor cannot justify its costs in any quantitative manner.

Or would college's across the board just cut tuition back to a more affordable price point?
Aberzombie1892
Redbrickbear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Or would college's across the board just cut tuition back to a more affordable price point?

The issue is that institutions that aren't particularly wealthy would struggle to attract students from cheaper state schools in such a scenario as generally higher profile private schools would -always- cost more (sticker price wise) than higher profile state schools because state schools are generally subsidized by the state. The challenge would be how Baylor would position itself to unbiased families/applicants in order to justify its added cost given the competition for students with those state schools and various other private schools.
johnnychimpo
texillian said:

Even if we're able to get the cost of attendance to half of the sticker price: $140k for a 4 year degree is insanity. There is no degree plan in existence where that's a good ROI. .

90-95% of U.S. undergrad degree only holders will never in their lifetime have a yearly base salary that exceeds 140K in today dollars. That's probably a good indicator to pass. My boss holds a BA degree from Yale (all out of mom's pocket), a MBA from UH, he's 10 years older and his compensation is no more than 30% more.

I enjoy the ROI my non land grant flagship state undergrad degree has provided.
thales
didn't we already have a thread about this?

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/136085
canoso
thales said:

Too much truth being spoken on this one?
boognish_bear
thales said:

This thread was actually started before the other one....occasionally we get duplicates in the forum
Greenboy232
We have two kids at Baylor right now, and while it is expensive, neither pays anywhere close to the sticker price thanks to scholarships and a very small amount of financial aid.

I'm in a weird "middle ground" financially where I make "too much" to really get any significant financial aid, but I make "too little" to be able to afford to send my kids to Baylor at full price.

Thankfully, there are ample scholarships available, both through Baylor and externally, if you're willing to look for them and do the work to apply for them. It's still very tight for us right now, but we feel like it's a fantastic investment both because we love Baylor (both my wife and I graduated from there), and because we feel like our kids are not only getting an excellent education, but also Baylor is one of the few remaining major universities that hasn't completely gone "woke." Granted, it's starting to infiltrate Baylor, but there's still a fairly sound Christian worldview being taught, by and large. Plus all the trappings of a big university with athletics, clubs, greek life, etc. Both of them have grown socially, spiritually, and certainly academically in their years as students. Both of them are very active in a Waco church, and as parents that's wonderful to see.

We feel like we're paying not only for the academics, but also for the intangibles that our kids will experience, learn from, and benefit from at Baylor. Plus, they absolutely love the school - having grown up as Bears. For us, we feel like it's a good investment. One of our kids will go onto law school (on her own dime), and the other is majoring in mechanical engineering. We feel like both will get a good return on their investment with those careers.
CharlesCole
Redbrickbear said:

That was my first thought.

Not every student has a chance to pay such money. Nowadays, tuition prices are so high, so there is no guarantee that there will be many new students. I applied to different places, but I only went to one. Some students want to try their best to get scholarships, too. I didn't get one, but it's okay because I'm still a student. It's not easy to be in such a role, but there is no way back. This term, I started using more helpful sources, and it's easier for me to study. Here is one page: https://papersowl.com/blog/case-study-topics , which helped me a lot, especially the last time when I had to choose a case study topic. Only after reading the info did I manage to do it. It's good that we have such resources nowadays because they help us become more successful students.

Fre3dombear
Unless getting some type of specialized degree, or having significant financial help, there's really no financial reason to go to Baylor

The ROI just isn't there.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Fre3dombear said:

Unless getting some type of specialized degree, or having significant financial help, there's really no financial reason to go to Baylor

The ROI just isn't there.

Well not having to go to school with the rest of the state school riff raff is worth a lot of money to many people.
BigGameBaylorBear
I'm not from Texas originally but my buds told me Baylor is a Texas Ivy. The others being SMU and Rice. In my own experience I feel like Baylor has a lot of pull and an elite network
chorne68
In 1964 enrollment was 6000, my dorm room cost $75 per semester, and tuition was $25 per semester hour. Glad my folks did not have to pay todays rates.
Fre3dombear
chorne68 said:

In 1964 enrollment was 6000, my dorm room cost $75 per semester, and tuition was $25 per semester hour. Glad my folks did not have to pay todays rates.

Once government turbocharged the price making it free well, here we are lol
Aberzombie1892
BigGameBaylorBear said:

I'm not from Texas originally but my buds told me Baylor is a Texas Ivy. The others being SMU and Rice. In my own experience I feel like Baylor has a lot of pull and an elite network

No one really believes that any other private institution in Texas is on the same level as Rice. It's actually a shame that the Texas based private schools haven't evolved to be as high profile as those in California, New York, Pennsylvania or Massachusetts.
BigGameBaylorBear
Yea I know Rice is the best. I feel like a Rice degree can you get you pretty far just about anywhere in the country. Baylor has a decent reputation but I never heard of SMU until I moved here. But obviously SMU is highly respected here
RightRevBear
Golden Helmet said:

Clearly, the majority of these applicants do not have a winning football program as a criteria for their school of choice.

Hopefully, academics is their number one priority with this type of investment.

But then again if they are willing to pay this much without a lot of scholarships then they are crazy. My wife's cousin went to Baylor because with scholarships it was cheaper than A&M which is where most of her family went. I doubt that is true for most though.
Redbrickbear
chorne68 said:

Wow

Imagine if Baylor cost $4500

Now that would be a deal

BUGWBBear
Fre3dombear said:

Price tag not worth it for most everyone that attends Baylor sadly

Little steep for a Harry Potter class.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.