Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

Talking with Matt Rhule about his decision to go with Zach Smith

September 11, 2017

David Smoak of ESPN Central Texas visits with Baylor head coach Matt Rhule about his decision to make a change at quarterback, the remainder of the season, and more.

ESPN CENTRAL TEXAS PODCAST ARCHIVE
Discussion from...

Talking with Matt Rhule about his decision to go with Zach Smith

9,397 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MilliVanilli
OnField6158
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm so sick of hearing about how we're "developing the team off the field." You know if these guys don't have character and integrity they shouldn't have been recruited.

We want to ask questions about football, about the game, about the roster, about the morale - the direction of the program and the expectations for the season. Nobody wants to hear about how we're "saying a prayer" and "shaking hands" except the BOR.

The fact that Rhule said the major change in offense with the replacement of Anu is going to be "less quarterback run" should be a red flag to everyone.
OsoVerde
Yeah, we didn't run the ball with Anu that much which is the crazy thing. If you are going to play a QB who can run then let them run.

I'm sure now that Zach is in there we will have ten QB runs a game.
Wikstr9
BenchSolomon said:

I'm so sick of hearing about how we're "developing the team off the field." You know if these guys don't have character and integrity they shouldn't have been recruited.

We want to ask questions about football, about the game, about the roster, about the morale - the direction of the program and the expectations for the season. Nobody wants to hear about how we're "saying a prayer" and "shaking hands" except the BOR.

The fact that Rhule said the major change in offense with the replacement of Anu is going to be "less quarterback run" should be a red flag to everyone.

Amen bro.
Pale Rider
For the sake of our players I am no longer going to express my criticism of the coaching staff and especially Coach Rhule.
That is my conviction after listening to this interview.
God bless.
Quinton
BenchSolomon said:

Then you're at the wrong school right now bud. The board selection is self perpetuating from an already underwhelming and a religious image conscious group. It would take charter change and relentless hounding pressure that most baylor donors like drayton dont have the stomach for.

They self sabotaged the school that was on the cusp of greatness. It happens to people who fear achieving at the highest level. They are more comfortable now and thats the truth.
Doc Holliday
He needs to do more than change QB's.

We need to spread this offense out.
CoachHBU2008
BEAR RAMMAGE said:

We are spreading the ball out. We are in spread almost 67% of the time. The problem isn't being spread out. The problem is lack of confidence and young guys still learning how to play college football.

This team would struggle even if we running our regular offense. It's not the offense. It's the lack of confidence the players have. Briles pumped it in them. Unfortunately Briles isn't here anymore. It sucks but it is what it is. Let's hope that these guys can just go out there and play. Stop thinking so much and just do their job. Hopefully it's a good showing.
Grizz Air
Does smoak post on here like he did on BF? I'd be curious to hear his behind-the-scenes thoughts...
Team America
I would be really interested to know if the same decision would have been made if Anu wasn't in concussion protocol right tnow.
CoachHBU2008
Team America said:

I would be really interested to know if the same decision would have been made if Anu wasn't in concussion protocol right tnow.

I'm pretty sure it would. Everyone knows Anu didn't play well. Even Anu. I'm sure Anu is banged up, but I think a little of what Rhule is saying is to some coach speak so Anu doesn't become disenchanted after losing his job. He has to keep him mentally engaged. You don't know if injuries would force him to turn back to him.
MilliVanilli
BEAR RAMMAGE said:

I think that went away with Matt Lubick.
MilliVanilli
Grizz Air said:

Does smoak post on here like he did on BF? I'd be curious to hear his behind-the-scenes thoughts...
He posts links to his show and will answer a question posed here and there, but he's not lurking as a regular...if so he keeps quiet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.