Football
Sponsored by

Bye bye Free Board

2,812 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Ashley Hodge
BluesBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's coming.
ALLBEAR
Adios. It was fun while it lasted. We didn't conform.
74Bear
Don't know if I would join or not. I refuse to kiss Mack Rhoades butt like many say you have to.
MrGolfguy
"Hello Darkness My Old Friend"

ParadeOfBears
well, bye
SMack
Are they putting this site down?

Will it join BaylorFans in that great disconnected server in the sky?
br53
What have I missed?
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
Daveisabovereproach
Linda and Mack will not put up with anybody questioning their godlike wisdom. This website started out OK, but it quickly became the unofficial outlet of the Baylor administration much like Al Jazeera. Back on Baylor fans and 247, you were allowed to have a dissenting opinion, but not so much anymore
drahthaar
No Quarterback said:

Linda and Mack will not put up with anybody questioning their godlike wisdom. This website started out OK, but it quickly became the unofficial outlet of the Baylor administration much like Al Jazeera. Back on Baylor fans and 247, you were allowed to have a dissenting opinion, but not so much anymore
LOL!
burg0047
I'm not an alum. One of my kids attended as a student athlete for a short time. I live in Waco. I joined and paid for premium for quite some time but grew very tired of it because of the tone that nothing deemed as questioning leadership could be suggested without being responded to by a bombardment of vitriol and venom from a circle of jerks. I began to recognize the "elitist" persona so many folks wrap themselves in as they live, breathe, and eat all things BU. All schools have that rabid, bizarre-behaved segment within its fanbase... but I dumped premium after it got too obnoxious. And it caused me to enjoy BU athletics less. If the free boards go away, I don't really care. There are so many things of far greater importance upon which to focus. My life will probably be better. With that said, there were some very fun times in recent years. Hopefully there are more ahead... not sure there will be. Everything is different now. Some people want it that way. Others are too deluded as sunshine pumpers to recognize it.

TLDR: probably bye... thanks for the memories.
boognish_bear
br53 said:

What have I missed?

It got started on a thread over on the basketball forum. Discussion starts on page 25.

Scroll down to Ashley's post.

https://sicem365.com/forums/3/topics/138578/25
Rg6
I suspect a Baylor fan who is able to code will start a free website like killerfrogs, surlyhorns, the old baylorfans, etc. No need for insider news or stories, just a place for free discussion.
John Hawk
This would be a strategic mistake. "Nature abhors a vacuum" and someone is bound to start a free board. That would likely siphon people form this site.
SoonerFrogs
the highlight of free boards was the beer burglar. all downhill from there.
PartyBear
Wasn't that like 17-18 years ago on BFans?
muddybrazos
PartyBear said:

Wasn't that like 17-18 years ago on BFans?
it couldnt have been that long ago bc it was during the Briles years. I bet it was around 2010-2012.
SoonerFrogs
UConn 2009
muddybrazos
SoonerFrogs said:

UConn 2009
What a lousy game. They just ran it down our throat all game and we couldnt stop it. Jay Finley ran pretty well that day, though.
SMack
Should we start the countdown clock?
bear2be2
Rg6 said:

I suspect a Baylor fan who is able to code will start a free website like killerfrogs, surlyhorns, the old baylorfans, etc. No need for insider news or stories, just a place for free discussion.
With WordPress.com, you don't even need coding experience. I've built and maintained a subscription site for six years now without an ounce of coding ability or experience.

I pay less than $400 a year to host it and get almost 300,000 visitors a year.

The biggest pain with a message board is moderation. We had a message board for a while but ultimately killed it because a) the traffic didn't justify keeping it and b) I was constantly dealing with bots.
Bearsalwayswin
I want to say I appreciate this site and are usually the ones i get my info first from. Yes they pump the good a little much, but that's their job. They're not neutral writers, they're specifically baylor writers. Thank you to all y'all do. Besides a few naysayers this is one of the best baylor free discussion boards/ info sites out there.
BylrFan
Hope they leave the Waco and WBB forums untouched and accessible.

what I dont get is how TexAgs can make it work.
Big12Fan2024
Some things aren't meant to have a long shelf life.
PartyBear
I know someone high up in this site said something in passing about maybe they should get rid of the free board. Why do you think it is officially happening?
boognish_bear
PartyBear said:

I know someone high up in this site said something in passing about maybe they should get rid of the free board. Why do you think it is officially happening?

It's not officially happening....it's being considered.

Ashely just mentioned in that bball thread linked above that due to ongoing criticism by a handful of posters about the premium content that they were now having discussions about the possibility of taking the free board out behind the barn and putting her down.
morethanhecouldbear
boognish_bear said:

PartyBear said:

It's not officially happening....it's being considered.

I don't know who owns/runs the site but I won't have any hard feelings if they shut portions of it down.

I'm also confident that another site will open up to fill the needs of fans
Feedemfishheads
Necessity is the mother of invention. This site too shall pass and another will be born in it's ashes.
Hotsauce
I'd gladly push the implode button myself on the entire site if it meant the R&P board ceases to exist.
BUGWBBear
Feedemfishheads said:

Necessity is the mother of invention. This site too shall pass and another will be born in it's ashes.

Pretty much, yeah. I do miss some of the Baylorfans posters, but life goes on.
PartyBear
Hotsauce said:

I'd gladly push the implode button myself on the entire site if it meant the R&P board ceases to exist.

They should eliminate that piece of dark web wannabe.
BUDOS
IMO, over the last year or so, at least a few of the boards have become more tempered. The participants still say the same things, just not as "direct". Additionally, if one gets tired of another's language you can block them. I have my doubts that free board is going away; perhaps someone is being given too much credit, and just got others all charged up who appears to have an appetite for it.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
fake news
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.