Drew a candidate for the UK job??

115,141 Views | 1003 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by wongobear
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's about the Louisville offer and is from March 20. Old news.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
Much better! Thanks
historian
boognish_bear said:

We will probably never really know...but I would love to hear a play by play of how all of this really went down and what ultimately tipped it in our favor.

Little BU holding off giant blueblood UK is quite the David and Goliath story.

Is that a reference to Drew's speech when he first took the Baylor job in 2003? He used it differently but close enough.
historian
whitetrash said:

hodedofome said:

Hopefully everyone on this thread is planning to spend big bucks at Mi Casita tonight.

And hopefully Mi Casita charges $100 to sit at Drew's table from now on.

Kiss the booth my friends. Kiss the booth.
They can hang a sign over the booth like the "I'll have what she's having" table at Katz's Deli in NYC.

The actress who had the best line in the film was Rob Reiner's mother. Yes, "meathead".
historian
I suspect many people on these boards don't know who Gonzaga was and are probably unaware where the phrase "jumping the shark" originated. I could be wrong.
historian
parch said:

The point here is that God picked Baylor over Kentucky. Put the banner in the rafters now.

Scott Drew is not God and he would be the first one to say that.
historian
True
historian
Hopefully a better year with fewer losses and a second weekend in March.
historian
jikespingleton said:

BluesBear said:

If Drew leaves, then all the best of luck. He would go down as the best Coach in Baylor History. Sorry Kim.
Since when is 3 < 1?

Since MBB makes more money than WBB.
historian
boognish_bear said:

LOL

Chip & Joanna pulled out the big guns and sealed the deal as l: Drew & family got cupcakes!!
boognish_bear
boognish_bear

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Sidenote… As many times as I have seen this play I don't remember seeing this bird's eye angle

boognish_bear
OurOurs
OurOurs said:

If I'm Drew, I'm also thinking about legacy at this point. While it would be tempting to have a change of scenery and a bigger stage, the reality is his name will never have the same weight in Lexington as he has here.

I have a feeling that if he leaves, it's unlikely that we will see his statue on campus. Similar to Mulkey a great, successful, longtime coach, but not an "immortal."

If he stays, we will see his statue before he retires. He will go down as Baylor's greatest sports coach of all-time. He will be a legend here forever. There is still a lot to accomplish at Baylor, and we need his JOY more than ever as a tentpole for the athletics programs and the university as a whole.

I think if he does leave, then he will have some buyer's remorse when he looks back at the end.

I don't have a lot of money, but I will pay to put a stone in this statue. The JOY is real today!
historian
boognish_bear said:

Sidenote… As many times as I have seen this play I don't remember seeing this bird's eye angle

Whomever wrote that response needs to get a life!
cowboycwr
boognish_bear said:

Jim Rome still has a show?

I had no idea he still did. Is it a youtube type thing now? or just a radio or podcast?

He was fun to watch originally but then he got tired and too controversial just to be controversial and I know he bounced between Fox sports and ESPN a few times and then faded.
cowboycwr
historian said:

parch said:

The point here is that God picked Baylor over Kentucky. Put the banner in the rafters now.

I don't think he was calling Drew God but rather that God picked BU over Kentucky and told Drew that.
cowboycwr
historian said:

boognish_bear said:

Whomever wrote that response needs to get a life!
How can he? His life his ruined, ruined I say, over a coach not taking a job......
cowboycwr
Those with inside sources like Blues bear sure have gone silent.....
historian
cowboycwr said:

Those with inside sources like Blues bear sure have gone silent.....

That's probably because Blues Bear was a UK troll. It is their color, after all.
historian
I hope not. That would be very sad!
historian
cowboycwr said:

historian said:

parch said:

I don't think he was calling Drew God but rather that God picked BU over Kentucky and told Drew that.

Probably. Still, it's a very casual attitude yo take about God. Im pretty sure He doesn't work like that.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Mitch Henessey said:

I am hoping against all hope that CSD stays in Waco. That said, trusting the owners of this site to have the inside scoop is a great way to end up with egg on your face.

Ashley Hodge was the guy that posted that the BOR would be giving Briles a second chance in 2016. Etheridge (or maybe it was Hodge) posted that the HC hire in 2017 would be Chad Morris. All of them got scooped by ESPN that Aranda was coming back for (at least) one more year this year.

Look, I appreciate this site as a forum to discuss Baylor sports, a gathering place to interact with other Baylor fans, and all the resources they provide (Smoaky foremost amongst them). But if you're coming here for inside info, there are no true "insiders" to be found here. It's just speculation, much like what most of the UK crap that's been posted on this thread has been.
we should probably shut the free boards down.

First of all, we lose money on them every month. All of the ad money goes to Jason, which is fair because he brought the community to us. We actually subsidize that by 15% as well.

Second, we have mostly "free" users ripping us every chance they get. We mostly ignore it but I know I worked hard on this story. It's a "side hustle" for me and I was fielding calls after midnight to talk to people about what was going on.

Third, I was telling fans on premium that Aranda was getting another year when it was a very unpopular opinion so that is inaccurate.

If you owned this business and most of your "free" customers just *****ed and complained about the premium product that they aren't even paying for and you were losing money on the "free" product, what would you do? Might be time to shut it down.

Sorry for the rant, just a beating to read all the negativity on the free boards. It would be one thing if we actually made any money on it!
historian
Some of us appreciate what you, Colt, Brian, and everyone else does. Some people just liked to complain. Unfortunately, it's always been that way.
boognish_bear
I spent so much damn time on Twitter with this whole episode that Twitter analytics now thinks I'm a Kentucky fan.

Half my timeline all day has been UK crap. Doh.
historian
That's too funny!

If it's any consolation, that will probably right itself in a few days.
boognish_bear
historian said:

That's too funny!

If it's in the consolation, that will probably right itself in a few days.

That's what I figured. A few days of not engaging with the UK tweets and it'll fade.
Mitch Henessey
Ashley Hodge said:

Mitch Henessey said:

I am hoping against all hope that CSD stays in Waco. That said, trusting the owners of this site to have the inside scoop is a great way to end up with egg on your face.

Ashley Hodge was the guy that posted that the BOR would be giving Briles a second chance in 2016. Etheridge (or maybe it was Hodge) posted that the HC hire in 2017 would be Chad Morris. All of them got scooped by ESPN that Aranda was coming back for (at least) one more year this year.

Look, I appreciate this site as a forum to discuss Baylor sports, a gathering place to interact with other Baylor fans, and all the resources they provide (Smoaky foremost amongst them). But if you're coming here for inside info, there are no true "insiders" to be found here. It's just speculation, much like what most of the UK crap that's been posted on this thread has been.

First of all, we lose money on them every month. All of the ad money goes to Jason, which is fair because he brought the community to us. We actually subsidize that by 15% as well.

Second, we have mostly "free" users ripping us every chance they get. We mostly ignore it but I know I worked hard on this story. It's a "side hustle" for me and I was fielding calls after midnight to talk to people about what was going on.

Third, I was telling fans on premium that Aranda was getting another year when it was a very unpopular opinion so that is inaccurate.

If you owned this business and most of your "free" customers just *****ed and complained about the premium product that they aren't even paying for and you were losing money on the "free" product, what would you do? Might be time to shut it down.

Sorry for the rant, just a beating to read all the negativity on the free boards. It would be one thing if we actually made any money on it!
No need to apologize. It's your business, you can do with it as you see fit.

A couple of thoughts, since this has obviously drawn your attention:

1) The free board is likely a loss leader. Many businesses function in this manner. Offer a product or service, and get people using it. Then, offer a superior service and charge for that. You wouldn't be the only business losing money on your free product, but it's probably good marketing for the pay side. Ask BearScoop how only operating a pay board went for them.

2) The users here are actually pretty tame, compared to many other sites. Since the UI here is modeled after TexAgs, if you head over there, take a look at how the free users talk about Liucci. Baylor fans, in general, are very cordial compared to most other fanbases. No one personally attacked you or the other owners, called you any names, or used profanity, as far as I could tell. That's admittedly a very low bar of human decency to clear, but you'd be surprised how often it isn't cleared by other fan sites.

3) No one is denying how hard you worked on the story. I'm extremely glad that you were correct on this one, and it's raised your credibility in my eyes. That probably doesn't mean anything to you, nor should it, but for what it's worth, well done.

4) Again, it's your business, and you're free to do with it as you please. But, buying the largest free Baylor board to try and convert those users into paying users, then shutting the free board down does feel a tad bit predatory. And you not making any money off the free board, unless that was a conscious business decision you and the other owners made at the time you purchased BaylorFans.com, isn't really our problem. It seems like something that should have been negotiated into the purchasing agreement for BFans.

5) I have no issue with you, Brian, Colt, or any other employee of this site. I enjoy the platform that you provide, and would miss it if it was gone. I personally wouldn't pay for premium access if this site went away, however. I did at one point in my life (BFans premium, BearScoop, BearsTruth premium member), but I am not at the point in my life where the additional expense or time spent on the premium side makes sense for me. As I said in a subsequent post, it seems like the premium side is excellent at recruiting news. I simply don't care about recruiting enough to make it worth my while. Maybe you nailing the Drew news makes me change my mind.

If you decide to shut down the free board, that's your prerogative. I personally would think it a poor business decision, because you're burning the #1 marketing pipeline you have to actually make money for your side hustle/passion project.

If you're looking for an apology, I'm sorry that I missed your reporting to the premium side about Aranda's return last fall. I did see Brian complaining that Thamel got the scoop over a dedicated Baylor site that is close to the program, so I assumed everyone at SicEm also got scooped on the story, and it reinforced the narrative about the previous stories you guys had gotten incorrect. That's my bad.
historian
boognish_bear said:

Hopefully this is a short-lived thread because we quickly hear it's not happening....

I never was worried about Louisville....but UK is a different animal. I still think he stays....hope so.

This poll is of minimal value with it being only 4 coaches, presumably excluding those whose names are on the list (although not necessarily). A far more meaningful poll would have asked all SEC HC's including those joining this summer.
DP4LIFE
Ashley Hodge said:

Mitch Henessey said:

All I know is I told my wife earlier this week that this Ashley dude is the only one on any message board (Baylor, UK and others) who was getting everything right in his predictions. Appreciate your hard work!
RightRevBear
Ashley Hodge said:

Mitch Henessey said:

First, I appreciate what you all offer, and after hearing what you said I will be more mindful of what I say. While I am no means the worst premium basher. I have done it. It is easy to do when you feel like someone is being a talking head or acting elitist. Instead of saying that, it was easier to lump them in as a premium side user. It was lazy and I didn't realize the impact.

Second, this site is where I come to get my info. I love listening to the podcasts, and I appreciate the Sic'em team's reporting work. Just ignore what Mitch Hennessey writes like most of the other posters on here.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Mitch Henessey said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Mitch Henessey said:

No need to apologize. It's your business, you can do with it as you see fit.

A couple of thoughts, since this has obviously drawn your attention:

1) The free board is likely a loss leader. Many businesses function in this manner. Offer a product or service, and get people using it. Then, offer a superior service and charge for that. You wouldn't be the only business losing money on your free product, but it's probably good marketing for the pay side. Ask BearScoop how only operating a pay board went for them.

2) The users here are actually pretty tame, compared to many other sites. Since the UI here is modeled after TexAgs, if you head over there, take a look at how the free users talk about Liucci. Baylor fans, in general, are very cordial compared to most other fanbases. No one personally attacked you or the other owners, called you any names, or used profanity, as far as I could tell. That's admittedly a very low bar of human decency to clear, but you'd be surprised how often it isn't cleared by other fan sites.

3) No one is denying how hard you worked on the story. I'm extremely glad that you were correct on this one, and it's raised your credibility in my eyes. That probably doesn't mean anything to you, nor should it, but for what it's worth, well done.

4) Again, it's your business, and you're free to do with it as you please. But, buying the largest free Baylor board to try and convert those users into paying users, then shutting the free board down does feel a tad bit predatory. And you not making any money off the free board, unless that was a conscious business decision you and the other owners made at the time you purchased BaylorFans.com, isn't really our problem. It seems like something that should have been negotiated into the purchasing agreement for BFans.

5) I have no issue with you, Brian, Colt, or any other employee of this site. I enjoy the platform that you provide, and would miss it if it was gone. I personally wouldn't pay for premium access if this site went away, however. I did at one point in my life (BFans premium, BearScoop, BearsTruth premium member), but I am not at the point in my life where the additional expense or time spent on the premium side makes sense for me. As I said in a subsequent post, it seems like the premium side is excellent at recruiting news. I simply don't care about recruiting enough to make it worth my while. Maybe you nailing the Drew news makes me change my mind.

If you decide to shut down the free board, that's your prerogative. I personally would think it a poor business decision, because you're burning the #1 marketing pipeline you have to actually make money for your side hustle/passion project.

If you're looking for an apology, I'm sorry that I missed your reporting to the premium side about Aranda's return last fall. I did see Brian complaining that Thamel got the scoop over a dedicated Baylor site that is close to the program, so I assumed everyone at SicEm also got scooped on the story, and it reinforced the narrative about the previous stories you guys had gotten incorrect. That's my bad.

Our site is definitely tame. While I appreciate their "charity" and all that they do, Killing the free site would just mean another one (new or existing) would pop up in its place. That is just how fan sites work, the majority don't expect to have to pay just to chat about college athletics. Most don't care about paying for recruiting insight or having breaking news hours earlier than the public. I'd miss this site of course, they do good work here that I appreciate, but I'd move to where ever.

I know it's venting, but I personally think his post about shutting us down because we're free loaders is telling. When we joke about the premiums being our "betters", it's a joke to us but to them it's exactly how they feel. They bought a free board and are upset that some here are both jerks and free loaders. Really, did they not know that before they bought it?

Anyway, definitely appreciate this place and enjoyed reading Ashley's posts on CSD, but I think this recent post is just poor judgement.
historian
Ashley's venting was a form of joking. It's a two way street.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.