Drew a candidate for the UK job??

116,065 Views | 1003 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by wongobear
Bearsalwayswin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I still think it is. I might eat my words in the coming 12 hours but I think it still is
MashedPotatoes
IowaBear said:

He's gone. I was definitely being naive thinking his post today meant he was staying. Wish him luck. But he's going to regret that decision in a hurry.
Hope you're wrong. I don't think his family's tour of Lexington necessarily makes it so.
Daveisabovereproach
He gone. Officially irrelevant in every sport! Great job by Mack, Linda, and our BOR. at least we have nice facilities!
EvilTroyAndAbed
OurOurs said:

If I'm Drew, I'm also thinking about legacy at this point. While it would be tempting to have a change of scenery and a bigger stage, the reality is his name will never have the same weight in Lexington as he has here.

I have a feeling that if he leaves, it's unlikely that we will see his statue on campus. Similar to Mulkey a great, successful, longtime coach, but not an "immortal."

If he stays, we will see his statue before he retires. He will go down as Baylor's greatest sports coach of all-time. He will be a legend here forever. There is still a lot to accomplish at Baylor, and we need his JOY more than ever as a tentpole for the athletics programs and the university as a whole.

I think if he does leave, then he will have some buyer's remorse when he looks back at the end.
1. He will have success. He always has. He will there.
2. It won't be enough success for UK fans. If he doesn't make a Final Four in his first three years, they will revolt.
3. He will not leave Kentucky on his own terms. He will most likely leave the way Tubby and Cal left, finding a landing spot to escape the toxic culture surrounding that fan base. He'll probably finish his career at a place like Butler.
4. He'll return to Baylor for a ceremony in his 70's and get a warm reception, but he won't have the court named after him or a statue or anything resembling that.
5. He'll still be the best coach we'll ever have.
6. We've got the resources to maintain a good program, but I expect us to look like TCU or BYU in the long run. Expect Kansas, Zona and maybe Houston to run the conference.
IowaBear
Yeah I'm baffled. It's going to be hard to not look at Scott Drew a bit different when he accepts that job tomm. I have no idea why he would send a chunk of his family to Lexington if he wasn't taking that job. His tweet looks like a giant troll job (even if that wasn't his intention)
EvilTroyAndAbed
No Quarterback said:

He gone. Officially irrelevant in every sport! Great job by Mack, Linda, and our BOR. at least we have nice facilities!

You can be mad at them for other reasons if you want, but you can't blame anyone in this particular instance. It's freaking Kentucky.
IvanBear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

OurOurs said:

If I'm Drew, I'm also thinking about legacy at this point. While it would be tempting to have a change of scenery and a bigger stage, the reality is his name will never have the same weight in Lexington as he has here.

I have a feeling that if he leaves, it's unlikely that we will see his statue on campus. Similar to Mulkey a great, successful, longtime coach, but not an "immortal."

If he stays, we will see his statue before he retires. He will go down as Baylor's greatest sports coach of all-time. He will be a legend here forever. There is still a lot to accomplish at Baylor, and we need his JOY more than ever as a tentpole for the athletics programs and the university as a whole.

I think if he does leave, then he will have some buyer's remorse when he looks back at the end.
1. He will have success. He always has. He will there.
2. It won't be enough success for UK fans. If he doesn't make a Final Four in his first three years, they will revolt.
3. He will not leave Kentucky on his own terms. He will most likely leave the way Tubby and Cal left, finding a landing spot to escape the toxic culture surrounding that fan base. He'll probably finish his career at a place like Butler.
4. He'll return to Baylor for a ceremony in his 70's and get a warm reception, but he won't have the court named after him or a statue or anything resembling that.
5. He'll still be the best coach we'll ever have.
6. We've got the resources to maintain a good program, but I expect us to look like TCU or BYU in the long run. Expect Kansas, Zona and maybe Houston to run the conference.
Only thing I disagree with is I kinda expect him to coach 7 - 15 more years. If he takes a contract from Kentucky, I almost expect it to be the length of the rest of his career and he will retire Jay Wright style.

I also don't think we'll remain a relevant program, this is going to piss off the BMD even more, you've got to retain the coaching talent once you build a facilities and this administration doesn't want to do that.
IowaBear
He ain't lasting 7 years at Kentucky if he doesn't win a ship fast. His 24-11 seasons aren't cutting it there. That fanbase will turn on him in a second. He better pump out SEC titles and deep March runs right away.
EvilTroyAndAbed
The administration doesn't want to keep Drew? We can't match UK financially, but that doesn't mean they don't want him. That's silly to think so.
DallasBear9902
so here is a question I'd love to know the answer to. Homer Drew is probably advising him. Is the advice:

1. "I'm really glad I stayed at one place for the entirety of my head coaching career."

2. "I wish I would have jumped at that [bigger school] opportunity after Bryce hit that shot?"
IvanBear
IowaBear said:

He ain't lasting 7 years at Kentucky if he doesn't win a ship fast. His 24-11 seasons aren't cutting it there. That fanbase will turn on him in a second. He better pump out SEC titles and deep March runs right away.

Kentucky couldn't' fire Cal because of the buyout. It'll be the same with Drew even if he under performs.
PartyBear
IowaBear said:

If they will track him down at a mom and pop Mexican joint in Waco to harass him as a candidate, imagine his life in Lexington when in their minds they own you. Lol!
DallasBear9902
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

The administration doesn't want to keep Drew? We can't match UK financially, but that doesn't mean they don't want him. That's silly to think so.

No idea about Livingstone, but there is a dynamic within academic circles where they would love to be like Emory and Johns Hopkins and Carnegie Mellon where sports just aren't part of the equation at their school.

The UCLA and Cal admins have paid nominal lip service to sports and watched their athletic departments become shells of their former selves. The reality is that in a world where 60% of your new alumni are female each year, the passionate fans that care about athletics become a smaller portion of your university community.
Iron Claw
I know it's Kentucky but having a brand new arena and not the pressure seems like would be hard to leave. I wouldn't think he would be driven by the money and he's making 5 million here. And then the tweet. Doesn't make sense knowing him.
EvilTroyAndAbed
IvanBear said:

IowaBear said:

Kentucky couldn't' fire Cal because of the buyout. It'll be the same with Drew even if he under performs.
Drew ain't getting the same buyout Cal got. Not even close.
IvanBear
DallasBear9902 said:

so here is a question I'd love to know the answer to. Homer Drew is probably advising him. Is the advice:

1. "I'm really glad I stayed at one place for the entirety of my head coaching career."

2. "I wish I would have jumped at that [bigger school] opportunity after Bryce hit that shot?"
Well Drew left Valpo as head coach so I think we know how he feels about that particular question.
Big12Fan2024
Do you guys really think money is the primary motivating factor here? I don't. I think the money may be the icing on the cake but Scott has always had a huge ego just like most successful coaches. And when the biggest of all big name jobs is offered and he has a chance to be the face of that program there was not much of a chance of him turning it down even though I kept trying to convince myself he would.
STxBear81
He hasn't left yet.
IvanBear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IvanBear said:

IowaBear said:

Why not, he's got all the leverage, Kentucky's next best hope is a NBA coach who might be interested but hasn't recruited in years or the king of sleaze Rick Pitino. He has Kentucky over the same barrel he has Baylor from a negotiation perspective.

DallasBear9902
IvanBear said:

DallasBear9902 said:

Well Drew left Valpo as head coach so I think we know how he feels about that particular question.

That's a great point. The jump to Baylor allowed him to take a big short cut on the career ladder. That said, he's proven he can win a NC at Baylor. That was never going to happen at Valpo.
OkieBear12
Tinfoil hat time - any chance that since Drew and Barnhart are supposed buddies, this is all a stall tact to preoccupy the UK fanbase? Drew says no to the job but helps a buddy out to let the fans chase their tails for a week until the NBA season ends and Donovan becomes available. Not a good look for the AD of a program like that if there's no smoke for a week due to the top candidates saying no (and quickly). All would easily be forgotten if Donovan is the new HC by Monday. Not to mention, has a NBA coach ever taken a collegiate job before the season has ended?

It doesn't explain the family in Lexington thing unless it was a, "good luck convincing my wife and kids to uproot, but I'll let you have a shot". I still can't see Drew tweeting that out today if he was going to leave. Just not his style even if it was trying to disprove he was in Lexington.

One thing I do know - there are just as many UK fans calling for their AD's job if they hire Drew. Not getting into the Mack discussion but that is one job where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
IowaBear
I would think UK fans calling the restaurant today would be enough for him to say no right then and there.
I think what's happening here is the allure of coaching UK is just too much for him to pass up regardless of all the red flags. Just an opinion.
Think he will fail there (by UK standards) and have regret rather quick but I suppose will see
PartyBear
OkieBear12 said:

Tinfoil hat time - any chance that since Drew and Barnhart are supposed buddies, this is all a stall tact to preoccupy the UK fanbase? Drew says no to the job but helps a buddy out to let the fans chase their tails for a week until the NBA season ends and Donovan becomes available. Not a good look for the AD of a program like that if there's no smoke for a week due to the top candidates saying no (and quickly). All would easily be forgotten if Donovan is the new HC by Monday. Not to mention, has a NBA coach ever taken a collegiate job before the season has ended?

It doesn't explain the family in Lexington thing unless it was a, "good luck convincing my wife and kids to uproot, but I'll let you have a shot". I still can't see Drew tweeting that out today if he was going to leave. Just not his style even if it was trying to disprove he was in Lexington.

One thing I do know - there are just as many UK fans calling for their AD's job if they hire Drew. Not getting into the Mack discussion but that is one job where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Just to your last paragraph and it seems that way on Twittersphere, why jump into that situation? Why go to a place where your seat is already warm at the opening announcment ceremony.
Quinton
OkieBear12 said:

I still can't see Drew tweeting that out today if he was going to leave. Just not his style even if it was trying to disprove he was in Lexington.

Very strange if so. He's no fool.. that will leave a very sour taste for some and for no benefit.
IvanBear
Quite frankly it sounds like it's down to a long discussion between him and his wife tonight. I've had a bad feeling about this since the minute Arkansas reportedly landed Cal.

In Drew's shoes there are strong arguments for both, but I see a lot of legitimate reasons for his career and with the changing landscape of college athletics moving to the SEC would be wise. Why not move to the best program in the SEC if given the offer. Also, it's always referenced on the side here but as a Christian there's a lot of things Baylor (going to pin this on the administrative machine not one individual) does that isn't very Christian anymore and it's grating on Christians I know employed by the school. I'm sure that blows back less on the coach of the basketball team but also its tough to see people claim your faith and not life it out and you be a mouthpiece for that culture. Finally, Drew is an insane competitor I'm sure he thinks he can win 5 straight Nattys if he gets everything he wants, Kentucky will give him everything he wants resource wise. Baylor just can't give him near unlimited NIL.

On the flip side, I also think he fully controls the culture of the basketball program at Baylor, if he doesn't then that's why he's leaving. But I assume he does, and he won't get that level of control at Kentucky. The opportunity here is to become the next Jay Wright or a slightly lesser Coach K but with a more unique story than either of them if he finishes his career out at Baylor. That's got to be appealing.

I'm inclined to go with he actually is unsure of what he'll do and he's probably going to pray about it a lot and see where he falls on it in the morning.

EvilTroyAndAbed
IvanBear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IvanBear said:

IowaBear said:

Why not, he's got all the leverage, Kentucky's next best hope is a NBA coach who might be interested but hasn't recruited in years or the king of sleaze Rick Pitino. He has Kentucky over the same barrel he has Baylor from a negotiation perspective.

He may be the king of sleaze, but Kentucky fans wouldn't care about that. He's the best coach they've had in 40 years, and he only left because he thought he was getting Tim Duncan in Boston. Kentucky fans would look past all his faults for five years of his coaching. But that ain't happening.

And yet I don't think Drew "has them over a barrel." There are still lots of really good coaches available. If Drew is going, he's not going to hold out for a $20-25 million buyout.
boognish_bear
Publisher of "catsillustrated.com"

Big12Fan2024
Scott and the Kentucky NIL won't have it easy. They will have to go firmly against

Cal at Arkansas, and a commitment from Arkansas BMDs to have as much or more NIL funds as Kentucky
Oats at Alabama, whose NIL is reportedly not any lower than Kentucky.
Barnes at Tennessee, whose NIL is in the range of Kentucky
Beard at Ole Miss, whose boosters have committed to up the ante on NIL
Pearl at Auburn, whose NIL is not that far off Kentucky's

And it will be interesting to see how long Texas rides with Terry or do they jettison him pretty quickly and bring their NIL up to the SEC top line. And what does LSU do if it feels it is starting to fall behind.

It won't be easy for Drew even in his own conference.
boognish_bear
Welp....hope it gets announced early tomorrow either way....don't want to waste another day hitting refresh

IvanBear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IvanBear said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

IvanBear said:

IowaBear said:

He may be the king of sleaze, but Kentucky fans wouldn't care about that. He's the best coach they've had in 40 years, and he only left because he thought he was getting Tim Duncan in Boston. Kentucky fans would look past all his faults for five years of his coaching. But that ain't happening.

And yet I don't think Drew "has them over a barrel." There are still lots of really good coaches available. If Drew is going, he's not going to hold out for a $20-25 million buyout.
You don't take this job without getting
1) more monkey than Cal
2) equal or greater NIL support than Cal
3) a fully guaranteed contract like Cal

Drew is in an elite elite club of national championship winning coaches. He's got a horrific agent (which with his reported byalor buy out he doesn't) if he doesn't get maximum protection from the school axing him.
IowaBear
Officially baffled beyond belief he made that Twitter post knowing his family was in Lexington. Little Busch league imo. Maybe I'm being dramatic. But that doesn't sit well with me
IvanBear
IowaBear said:

Officially baffled beyond belief he made that Twitter post knowing his family was in Lexington. Little Busch league imo. Maybe I'm being dramatic. But that doesn't sit well with me
Nope you're not. We can only hope it was done after he got a text from his wife about what a horrible time she was having.
boognish_bear
IowaBear said:

Officially baffled beyond belief we made that Twitter post knowing his family was in Lexington. Little Busch league imo. Maybe I'm being dramatic. But that doesn't sit well with me

Me either. It feels kind of like he was playing with us. He's not that kind of person though. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I can't understand his purpose with that tweet.

He hadnt tweeted in 2 days. I would think he would know anything he put out at this time would be parsed and read into by his fans.

If he ends up going I'd like for someone to ask him about his intentions with that.
bear2be2
BUCANDOIT82 said:

Drew is not taking a very public interview to turn them down. He's just letting them know he's not desperate and he needs XY & Z.
I don't agree with you often, but I think you're spot on here. Get Grant McCasland on Line 1.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

IowaBear said:

He's gone. I was definitely being naive thinking his post today meant he was staying. Wish him luck. But he's going to regret that decision in a hurry.

Guess I'll wait to see how this all plays out...but that tweet definitely feels like a false step with the fans he's built a relationship with for 20 years.

He had to know how we would all receive something like that....then knowing the whole time his family was up in Lexington. Doesn't sit right. He should have just stayed silent.
Maybe he is that tone deaf after all because I can't see Scott Drew actively trolling Baylor fans.

The irony is most Baylor fans won't even be mad if he leaves for Kentucky. They'll understand why he's doing it. He could have just said nothing, accepted the job and we'd have moved on pretty quickly.

Weird decision, for sure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.