Football
Sponsored by

* * Gerry Bohanan update

5,207 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Ghostrider
Daveisabovereproach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

Daveisabovereproach said:

FLBear5630 said:

BUDOS said:

I don't disagree with your comments, and I appreciate the tone with which you state them. I just went off because I got tired of the after-the-fact experts spewing their garbage in such a vitriolic manner.

To be honest, the "after the facts" experts are the premium board and thought control types coming to the free board to cuss out and antagonize people who aren't toting the company line. there's nothing wrong with critiquing a multi million dollar coach, but it's annoying to antagonize random fans on the internet for doing so. If you can't handle a multi million dollar coach being critiqued, you need to stick to Pee-wee or perhaps upwards basketball where they give out awards for "best attitude"
Well, don't get me going on the Premium Board, after all they really know. They know a guy.

They are dead wrong of course, but the posse will hunt you down...

It also shows you how low Mack and Dave have brought the football program when people on the premium board would rather come here to cuss people out and fight rather than talk about Baylor football on the premium board which they pay money to post on. Even though it's the off-season, half of the current premium board threads are about non-Baylor related stuff. That says it all

Been really strange since CDA cratered, we've had more premies visit then I've seen in any other season. And we had Ashley come out with a threat to shut us down. Gotta let the poors know their place and quiet the rabble down. Worse part is the premiums were cheering for it,no surprise really.

And Mack has two or three of his staff that he has assigned to monitor the site and deflect attention away from himself and the chosen one Dave Aranda. Not some crazy conspiracy theory of mine; Mack has admitted it in past interviews
BUDOS
"Most pessimists are blinded by darkness."
BUDOS
"To be honest" your comments are above reproach,
And I appreciate the manner in which you stated them.
Pecos 45
FLBear5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Pecos 45 said:

All he did was win
you mean not lose
Which is still better than losing...

So he was just lucky?
Big 12 title and Sugar Bowl win over Ole Miss.
I believe GB was under-appreciated because he didn't win "pretty."
(It's those ice skating fans again.)

But September is coming.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
FLBear5630
Pecos 45 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Pecos 45 said:

All he did was win
you mean not lose

So he was just lucky?

But September is coming.
Lucky? No, he played within a total team system. In that year, all three aspects of the team supported each other. What I saw (I do not know if the numbers bear this out, never spent time checking):

The Offense played within itself, extended drives and scored enough to win.
D was good and was able to get off the field.
ST punting was good didn't place team in bad positions and kicking got points when needed.

Everything from personnel to style supported each other. Shappen was better off the bench, not having to carry a team. He is too fragile, but can light it up when a team prepared for a GB.

I even thought with Drones, we had GB part deux. In hindsight, in my opinion that should have been our style. A school like BU can support that. A school at BU's level can be solid all the way around OR great on one side of the ball. A complete Bama or UGA team is beyond our resources... The 2021 Team should be the model. GB and Drones were able to turn 3 and 4 OR 4 and 3 into 1st downs without putting the ball at risk.

But, what do I know. If I say anything Posse comes a calling.... After all, they were HS coaches or knew a HS coach or drove by a HS once...
Ghostrider
Pecos 45 said:

FLBear5630 said:

Ghostrider said:

Pecos 45 said:

All he did was win
you mean not lose

So he was just lucky?

But September is coming.
He was very lucky, yes. There are reasons other schools aren't jumping up and down for him. He should be a RB or FB...
Pecos 45
Well, his record here while he was our QB speaks for itself.
The team hasn't reached those heights since his departure.
To me, he was like James Street. Passing stats aren't great, he's not a "pretty" QB, but all the guy did was win, and leave parts of his body on the field for BU.
I like guys like that.

But that's just my opinion, man.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Ghostrider
Pecos 45 said:

To me, he was like James Street. Passing stats aren't great, he's not a "pretty" QB, but all the guy did was win, and leave parts of his body on the field for BU.
I like guys like that.

His passing stats aren't just not great, they aren't even bad, they are absolutely pathetic. In 2022, Gerry had 6 TD's and 6 INT's with a QBR of 56! Shapen had a 13 TD's with 3 INT's with a slightly worse QBR.

Gerry won 1 game at South Florida and lost 7. He had one of the worst qb ratings in football. Then he missed all of 2023 with an injury. I don't think he would have been our savior.
cowboycwr
Pecos 45 said:

I like guys like that.

Excellent point.

To me it is sort of comparable to Super Bowl winning QBs who are called not good. Sure they won it because of the stellar defense around them and other players but they still won it and on record books and stat sheets looking back years later they are the winning quarterback with no * next to their name calling them not good.

Think Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer.
Ghostrider
cowboycwr said:

Pecos 45 said:

I like guys like that.

Excellent point.

To me it is sort of comparable to Super Bowl winning QBs who are called not good. Sure they won it because of the stellar defense around them and other players but they still won it and on record books and stat sheets looking back years later they are the winning quarterback with no * next to their name calling them not good.

What happened at South Florida since all he does is win?
cowboycwr
Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

Pecos 45 said:

I like guys like that.

Excellent point.

I didn't say all he does in win anywhere he is at.

Just like my example of the QBs.

But nice deflection.
Ghostrider
cowboycwr said:

Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

Pecos 45 said:

I like guys like that.

Excellent point.

But nice deflection.
Well you said he had an excellent point. Just wondering why if all he did was win then why he didn't continue winning.
dstaylor57
He will probably run for 200 yards against us.
cowboycwr
Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

Pecos 45 said:

I like guys like that.

Excellent point.

But nice deflection.
Well you said he had an excellent point. Just wondering why if all he did was win then why he didn't continue winning.
Read his first sentence again.

It say "his record while here"

nothing else. You are the one reading into it more than what is there
boykin_spaniel
Gerry Bohanon is Batman. Not the quarterback we deserved but the one we needed. Then we ran him off when it was perceived he wasn't needed to start. Was he a great passer? No. Was he Lamar Jackson running? No. He was serviceable and a leader and ran well enough to make defenses have to respect it.

Hopefully Dequan Finn can throw more consistently and keep defenses honest with his legs. Sawyer can learn the new system for a year and then we can be rocking and rolling.

Whether Dave should or should not have been canned is mute. He's here. Let's look at the bright side. New offense, a new receiver who torched us last year, a new QB who was a conference player of the year for a double digit win team, couple new o-linemen, a safety who might be a good STAR.

Last ditch OC hires don't always go well (Phil Fulmer) but sometimes they do (Gundy). Tempered expectations? Never. I expect 8-10 wins like I do every year. Every… single… year.

But… if we start 0-5 by all means clean house starting with Mack. Also, could Iron Mike come be the assistant coach of tackling? I can't take another year of terrible fundamentals…
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Really like GB, great leader but nobody would be talking about GB if our Defense wasn't one of the best in the nation at that time. Our D carried us. Offense was decent enough, but barely. Beat an overrated Ole Miss thanks to the D absolutely crushing them. Once our D moved on, with or without GB our team was going to decline. CDA couldn't coach and Grimes wasn't creative enough to get us winning.
FLBear5630

Really like GB, great leader but nobody would be talking about GB if our Defense wasn't one of the best in the nation at that time. Our D carried us. Offense was decent enough, but barely. Beat an overrated Ole Miss thanks to the D absolutely crushing them. Once our D moved on, with or without GB our team was going to decline. CDA couldn't coach and Grimes wasn't creative enough to get us winning.
I actually think GB fits what Aranda likes. Great D, ball control and a QB that can move the chains. I think Shappen fit more what Grimes wanted.
Ghostrider
cowboycwr said:

Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

Pecos 45 said:

I like guys like that.

Excellent point.

But nice deflection.

insinuating he'd do it again
Daveisabovereproach
I definitely don't see that insinuation. Basically, why would you give the nod to Shapen when all Bohanon did was win here at Baylor? I can tell you the decision definitely affected team morale

Shawn Bell also failed to develop a single quarterback (even most of the people who love Bohannon admit that he wasn't a good passer). Moving on for him was quietly the best decision of the off-season.
Mitch Blood Green

You misunderstand how important what GB does is for defense.

It's why those Briles teams defenses looked bad on paper but put tons of guys into the league.

You can't score without the ball.
Ghostrider

I definitely don't see that insinuation. Basically, why would you give the nod to Shapen when all Bohanon did was win here at Baylor? I can tell you the decision definitely affected team morale

Shawn Bell also failed to develop a single quarterback (even most of the people who love Bohannon admit that he wasn't a good passer). Moving on for him was quietly the best decision of the off-season.

bc Shapen was better and had more potential
Ghostrider
GB behind last years o line would have been a disaster.
FLBear5630
Ghostrider said:

When he could stay on the field. He was made of glass. The final product under the 2 years of his leadership was not good. Whatever it was, did not work no matter how much talent he had. It was a bad fit for Baylor. Not all his fault, a lot of poor decisions for the recruiting spot BU sits.

GB fit closer to what BU could do consistently in the current environment, with the current AD and HC's philosophies. It all goes together. We can't just look at Briles and say "do that"... That world does not exist anymore
Daveisabovereproach
Ghostrider said:

Was he better? Or did he have more potential? Regardless, it was a terrible move.
cowboycwr
Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

Ghostrider said:

cowboycwr said:

Pecos 45 said:

I like guys like that.

Excellent point.

But nice deflection.

insinuating he'd do it again
I never said anything about him doing it again or even insinuated that. Again you are reading into it more than what is there
cowboycwr
Ghostrider said:

I thought Shapen had more potential but I would not say the facts now back up that he was better.
Ghostrider

Ghostrider said:

Was he better? Or did he have more potential? Regardless, it was a terrible move.
both. Better and a higher ceiling. Just no one knew Aranda wasn't going to have an o line.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.