Football
Sponsored by

Huge Loss - Schobel Flips to OK State

3,900 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by WacoFan
wgeralds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boognish_bear
This one stinks.

Seems like there's not much reason to follow recruiting until actual signing day because of so much flipping.
ABC BEAR
We shouldn't have offered
ImABearToo
Bazaar turn of events. Okie Lite? Huh?
Daveisabovereproach
None of these guys believe in Dave as a coach. It is interesting how these highly rated recruits get framed as huge wins for Dave by the sunshine pumpers only to be dismissed as "not a big loss" by those same folks when the decommits and transfers start rolling in
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

This one stinks.

Seems like there's not much reason to follow recruiting until actual signing day because of so much flipping.
I was about to post the same thing. I don't know why anyone follows this ***** Wake me up on signing day and tell me who's hitting the portal each year.

There's hardly any reason to even learn these guys' names at this point.
boognish_bear
I guess at least this one was not at 11:59 PM the night before signing day so we can at least start looking for another one
Bobsyouruncle
Nailed it.
PawpaBear
This is not a shock
Bearsalwayswin
lol I don't get the point of okie lite. He'll just be there behind in the depth chart play one year and make the Outback bowl and go undrafted
Bearwhiz
Dave is way disappointed
OkieBear12
There's a lot more to get than the state of our program. Okie lite at least has an identity whereas our bears are still wandering the desert in search of person over player.

We are definitely NOT in a position to cast stones right now....
Bandito
No Quarterback said:

None of these guys believe in Dave as a coach. It is interesting how these highly rated recruits get framed as huge wins for Dave by the sunshine pumpers only to be dismissed as "not a big loss" by those same folks when the decommits and transfers start rolling in
This...

He brings no energy. We are no longer respected.
BaylorLit 01
This is what happens when you keep a lame duck coach an extra year because you're too cheap or poor to pay his buyout.
Fre3dombear
Bearwhiz said:

Dave is way disappointed

Appreciate that

I shaved my head today. Prepping for my next HC gig
CactusOnTheBrazos
This is what happens when you have a HC who shows zero energy or fight. This is what happens when you have a poor NIL structure. This is what happens when the fanbase and brand doesn't grow even after double-digit win seasons and Big 12 titles. I mean we downsized our football stadium after winning a Big 12 title. We downsized our arena after winning a Natty...

Aranda needs to be fired. Baylor needs someone who can coach, develop, has high energy, and can recruit at a high level. This is going to continue to happen with Dave as the HC. There is no reason Cincy, Houston, Iowa State, BYU, ASU, or Kansas should EVER be recruiting better than Baylor.
parch
CactusOnTheBrazos said:

This is what happens when you have a HC who shows zero energy or fight. This is what happens when you have a poor NIL structure. This is what happens when the fanbase and brand doesn't grow even after double-digit win seasons and Big 12 titles. I mean we downsized our football stadium after winning a Big 12 title. We downsized our arena after winning a Natty...

Aranda needs to be fired. Baylor needs someone who can coach, develop, has high energy, and can recruit at a high level. This is going to continue to happen with Dave as the HC. There is no reason Cincy, Houston, Iowa State, BYU, ASU, or Kansas should EVER be recruiting better than Baylor.
Our recruiting is not. the. problem. Unless you're expecting us to recruit at Ohio State top 10 national levels, Dave's classes are historically on the upper edge of the Baylor recruiting curve, like, all-time. Even with this cat decommitting for a class that won't be finalized for another 10 months. Flips like this happen every day. No recruit is solid on any program, the Georgias of the world included (Dylan Raiola anyone), until signing day.

Our problems are overwhelmingly schematic and gameday-related. Dave has had the roster talent to have winning seasons every year. A mixture of bad coordinator hires, naive head coaching and lack of identifiable identity have been his bugbears. Not whatever dumb handwringing is going on in this thread.
Killing Floor
Not surprised. He wants to follow in those family footsteps.

Waiting for all the "not a loss" comments to follow.
CactusOnTheBrazos
"Our recruiting is not the problem" (as a 4 star QB walks out the door)
parch
CactusOnTheBrazos said:

You have to look at overalls and averages, not fixate on individual cases. Flips happen with every program every year, without fail, many of them involving more high profile players than Schobel. Even without Schobel we're still in the upper third for the 2025 class, which is still 10 months from being completed. Fans who obsess over it at this point are literally inflicting this doomsday mentality on themselves for no benefit or gain.

Losing Schobel sucks. I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned from it internally. It does not mean our recruiting or talent IDing is the problem, especially in the era of the portal. Dave's staffs have always recruited well relative to past staffs. The problem has always been in player development, scheme implementation and gameday coaching situations. This is just useless angst being thrown into the abyss just for the sake of it.
drahthaar
When you have a "2023 season" following a "2022 season" the question must be asked "Why?". The answers are limited to recruiting and/or coaching failures. Missed evaluations? Missed potential? Missed on player character?Failure (or inability) to teach and develop athletes? Lack of ability to adapt "play" to available talent? Maybe too stubborn to adapt? In either case it falls back on the staff in the main.
IowaBear
This is all meaningless because in 9 months Dave will be out of a job and will be starting over again.
Keeping him for this lame duck season was the dumbest thing Mack could have done. Stevie Wonder can see that Dave isn't it yet our own AD can't seem to admit this and cut ties
ImABearToo
My hope is someone on the coaching staff emerges as a replacement for Dave. Spavital turns the offense around and maybe he's the guy. Otherwise it's cast our net and see who we can get that's into "person over player" culture (aka no Bad Dudes) that seems to be embraced deeply by BOR, Linda and Mack
Bear8084
parch said:

CactusOnTheBrazos said:

Our recruiting is not. the. problem. Unless you're expecting us to recruit at Ohio State top 10 national levels, Dave's classes are historically on the upper edge of the Baylor recruiting curve, like, all-time. Even with this cat decommitting for a class that won't be finalized for another 10 months. Flips like this happen every day. No recruit is solid on any program, the Georgias of the world included (Dylan Raiola anyone), until signing day.

Our problems are overwhelmingly schematic and gameday-related. Dave has had the roster talent to have winning seasons every year. A mixture of bad coordinator hires, naive head coaching and lack of identifiable identity have been his bugbears. Not whatever dumb handwringing is going on in this thread.

100% correct.
bear2be2
ImABearToo said:

My hope is someone on the coaching staff emerges as a replacement for Dave. Spavital turns the offense around and maybe he's the guy. Otherwise it's cast our net and see who we can get that's into "person over player" culture (aka no Bad Dudes) that seems to be embraced deeply by BOR, Linda and Mack
Nope. If Dave fails, we need to call Jeff Traylor and do what we should have done last fall. We're lucky he's still available.
ScottS
IowaBear said:

This is all meaningless because in 9 months Dave will be out of a job and will be starting over again.
Keeping him for this lame duck season was the dumbest thing Mack could have done. Stevie Wonder can see that Dave isn't it yet our own AD can't seem to admit this and cut ties
Your last sentence seems to conflict with the first sentence.
IowaBear
Not really. Mack not firing Dave 4 months ago was a comical error.
ScottS
IowaBear said:

Not really. Mack not firing Dave 4 months ago was a comical error.

I'm talking about 9 months from now.
jikespingleton
I rarely if ever followed commitments as it always seemed like a waste of time tracking the whims of 18 year olds.

With NIL and the portal, there is zero to get excited about on the entire recruiting front.

Even if a guys signs on the dotted line with a program, he can portal out.
perrynative
Killing Floor said:

Not surprised. He wants to follow in those family footsteps.

Waiting for all the "not a loss" comments to follow.
Most of family went to TCU.
oorahpa
Dave is Mack, Linda and BOR's guy. Will they adjust u p in portal $ to save him? 5th year and starting over. New offense, New defense, mostly new coaching = no identity. No i.d. creates recruiting problems. Does anyone think Gundy was not talking about this flipping Schobel ? Now missing on 2 q.b.s. Not a positive look. Is Patterson our D.C.? What did we hire Dave for ? I appreciate the improvements in change of schemes and portal funding finally but it appears too little too late. No spring game because we had an embarrassing team to trot out? Spring games are to fire up the team, add momentum to recruiting and fire up the alums to support the program. U.T. had a big one. A&M moved their game forward. We minimumized. Poor optics all around.
oorahpa
Daveisabovereproach
parch said:

CactusOnTheBrazos said:

Folks, notice how the sunshine pumpers will never call out Dave. All of his problems are solely the fault of his coordinators, the fan base, lack of support, lack of money, or lack of identity, all of which culminates into a very minor 'Buggabear' and aren't fireable offenses for which a head coach is responsible. And if you do hold a coach responsible for the aforementioned offenses, you'll be accused of "hand wringing". Y'all make so many excuses for Dave Aranda. He is a multi million dollar head coach in his fifth year at a P5 program, not a highschooler training to be a fry cook at Taco Bell.
ImABearToo
Traylor and Spavital seem like a good combo.
Daveisabovereproach
parch said:

CactusOnTheBrazos said:

You have to look at overalls and averages, not fixate on individual cases. Flips happen with every program every year, without fail, many of them involving more high profile players than Schobel. Even without Schobel we're still in the upper third for the 2025 class, which is still 10 months from being completed. Fans who obsess over it at this point are literally inflicting this doomsday mentality on themselves for no benefit or gain.

Losing Schobel sucks. I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned from it internally. It does not mean our recruiting or talent IDing is the problem, especially in the era of the portal. Dave's staffs have always recruited well relative to past staffs. The problem has always been in player development, scheme implementation and gameday coaching situations. This is just useless angst being thrown into the abyss just for the sake of it.

Mack just called and said that he'd like another coffee. When you get done making these posts, can you go bring that to him? Thank you
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.