Rumor: Clemson & Florida State may lead 6 ACC teams to join the Big 12

18,801 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Aliceinbubbleland
BearlyBeloved
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shut out by B1G and SEC, will Yormark be able to snag these schools, and create parity?

Rumor: SEC turns down FSU and Clemson, Big 12 could poach six ACC schools (flywareagle.com)

BearlyBeloved
IF that happened, will SMU, Stanford and Cal be stranded again?
BayouCity
Post looks familiar
MT_Bear
BearlyBeloved said:

IF that happened, will SMU, Stanford and Cal be stranded again?

Depends on what you mean by "stranded." They'd be with the rest of the ACC that remained.

That said, I would bet a year's salary that FSU and Clemson will never join the Big XII.
PartyBear
Swaim is a nut job. Just to warn y'all before you get too excited. I believe he was the source for some click bait earlier today saying A&M will go to the B10 and Tech will replace them in the SEC. Yes the SEC says no to Clemson and FSU but is set to take Tech. Folks like Swaim arent even worth posting about here. It wasnt worth starting a thread over. I admit I just did repeat him but to demonstrate his nuttiness.
BearlyBeloved
If nut jobs didn't exist, the news media would starve.

And many nut jobs have been elected.

Our Founding Fathers even called each other nut jobs:

BayouCity
PartyBear said:

Swaim is a nut job. Just to warn y'all before you get too excited. I believe he was the source for some click bait earlier today saying A&M will go to the B10 and Tech will replace them in the SEC. Yes the SEC says no to Clemson and FSU but is set to take Tech. Folks like Swaim arent even worth posting about here. It wasnt worth starting a thread over. I admit I just did repeat him but to demonstrate his nuttiness.

He's not the only one talking about it. Not the Tech part, that's straight nuts, but there are others talking about the next round of realignment.
BearFan33
I don't believe Swaim. But with that said, I think FSU and Clemson are most definitely leaving the ACC and probably some others as well. A move to the B12 is a lateral one, but things are toxic within the ACC. If for some reason SEC and B10 won't take them, I could see a move to the B12. I know we are due to renegotiate our media contracts before the ACC.
muddybrazos
I dont believe that for a second. I bet Clemp and FSU end up in the SEC but they will have to break out of the ACC before the SEC will officially do a deal with them. I bet some preliminary talks have already taken place at somebodys beach house down at Kiawah or Jekyll Island.
Bear2014
first off.. never quote Swaim in anything serious. There has been no "reputable" source that the SEC and BIG have said no to FSU or Clemson.. just speculation. If they were to come into the XII, id expect some sort of distribution parity and im not sure how i feel about that
Aberzombie1892
The SEC is going to publicly say "no", as doing so protects them legally. It's a nothing burger.
BBWCBear
Yawn…. Big12 receiving ACC teams… never happen.
BellCountyBear
When can we change the damned name of this conference?
gobears20
Staff
This needs to come from a better source.
OsoCoreyell
BBWCBear said:

Yawn…. Big12 receiving ACC teams… never happen.
Big 12 will get some ACC teams, but not those teams. We'll pick up Duke and Stanford when the ACC folds like a Jos. A. Banks suit in a few years, and we'll be the nastiest basketball conference around.
OsoCoreyell
BellCountyBear said:

Big Buc'ees
Big Privates (b/c of all of the private schools, of course)

SailorBear13
Yahoo Sports source as well from Big 12 Media Days, still very early though.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/07/10/big-12-expansion-in-early-conversations-with-florida-state-clemson/
Dia del DougO
Probably won't happen, but it would be funny if SMU wasn't one of those invited. Though, I'm in favor of them being in the Big 12 and having more Texas rivalries on the schedule.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
BellCountyBear said:

Should have happened 30 years ago.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
blackie
Aberzombie1892 said:

The SEC is going to publicly say "no", as doing so protects them legally. It's a nothing burger.
I totally agree. But I suspect one day someone will figure out that media contracts and GORs are discriminatory and restrict the rights of teams to move around. Silly? I agree but 10 years ago who ever heard of basically free agency for players not to mention openly paying them to play and with no limit to the amount they could be paid or when they could transfer. Allowing teams to switch conferences whenever they want with no strings attached would be the last domino to fall for any semblance of order to the now blowing up of college football as we knew it growing up.
Big12Fan2024
Greg Swaim as a source for anything. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

boykin_spaniel
Swain is less accurate than a blindfolded and earmuffed sportsman shooting a revolver at a dove hunt.
boognish_bear
BearlyBeloved
boognish_bear said:

The Big 20?

Or (to play on words) The Big Score!

ScottS
Name checks out
boognish_bear
Dia del DougO
BearlyBeloved said:

boognish_bear said:

The Big 20?

The Big Friggin' Mess.
BearlyBeloved
Say what you will about Swaim's reliability, but this story has legs. It's popping up all over, and not just to repeat what Swaim said:

Big 12 Has A Real Chance To Add Notre Dame, Florida State, And Clemson - Gridiron Heroics

My take is that Yormark, as part of the Big 12 Media Days in Vegas, wanted it leaked that there have been at least preliminary contacts between the Big 12, Clemson and Florida State.

And it's no coincidence that this coincided with news that Colorado was paid $2.5-M to be the first to jump and destabilize the Pac-12. Multiple ACC schools might wonder if they're truly protected by the GOR that is being challenged in multiple courts.

Don't put away your popcorn. This show isn't over yet.

chriscbear
ACC teams coming to Big 12 at some point ? 60% true ?
BearFan33
BearlyBeloved said:

Say what you will about Swaim's reliability, but this story has legs. It's popping up all over, and not just to repeat what Swaim said:

Big 12 Has A Real Chance To Add Notre Dame, Florida State, And Clemson - Gridiron Heroics

My take is that Yormark, as part of the Big 12 Media Days in Vegas, wanted it leaked that there have been at least preliminary contacts between the Big 12, Clemson and Florida State.

And it's no coincidence that this coincided with news that Colorado was paid $2.5-M to be the first to jump and destabilize the Pac-12. Multiple ACC schools might wonder if they're truly protected by the GOR that is being challenged in multiple courts.

Don't put away your popcorn. This show isn't over yet.

The detail in that article is something else...more than just leaks
BluesBear
BearlyBeloved said:

boognish_bear said:

The Big 20?

Holy Crap. Epic Road games.....Conference Tournaments......Special Events.....Mr. Y is getting it done....
Robert Wilson
Almost posted this yesterday. Feels more on point when you add the current rumors.

SEC and B1G have to realize they just aren't big enough to only play with themselves. Too many markets, traditional teams, fan bases left out. Market and product will suffer. Also, the talent pool is big enough to supply 60-ish solid CFB programs - not 30. If we are the most creative / toughest / best man standing, we may benefit when they realize they need other good partners left in CFB. Yormark making that look possible...

Would be interesting to work a relegation model in there, other than we might get relegated quickly...
muddybrazos
Even if this is all just talk, Brett Yormark is a genius for floating all of this out there. He probably has had these conversations with all of these teams so there maybe something there. I do like the fact that ND doesnt want to be in the big10 or they wouldve already joined.
BearlyBeloved
muddybrazos said:

Even if this is all just talk, Brett Yormark is a genius for floating all of this out there. He probably has had these conversations with all of these teams so there maybe something there. I do like the fact that ND doesn't want to be in the big10 or they would've already joined.
Traditionally, ND is interested only in a conference that could be named The Big 1.

BearlyBeloved
BearFan33 said:

BearlyBeloved said:

The detail in that article is something else...more than just leaks
True. But the leaks lead to additional stuff; they prime the pump.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.