Rumor: Clemson & Florida State may lead 6 ACC teams to join the Big 12

19,556 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Aliceinbubbleland
chriscbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why would ND come to the BIG 12 ? State of TEXAS and a sweetheart deal from Big 12+ they keep their NBC deal.
PartyBear
chriscbear said:

Why would ND come to the BIG 12 ? State of TEXAS and a sweetheart deal from Big 12+ they keep their NBC deal.

No thank you! Also while it is all speculation this guy further speculated that ND, Clem, and FSU make more than everyone else. This approach caused the original XII to almost go extinct in 2010. No thank you!
boognish_bear
5 years ago I never would have believed the B12 would be seen as the 3rd most stable conference
BearFan33
ND is a different animal. I believe that if they join a conference they are obligated to join ACC. I may be mistaken but I thought that was in their arrangement with the ACC.

If we let them into the B12, they may be almost as bad as UT (the conference killer). But if they need to be in a conf to succeed in the playoffs then I suppose anything is possible.
Robert Wilson
BearFan33 said:

ND is a different animal. I believe that if they join a conference they are obligated to join ACC. I may be mistaken but I thought that was in their arrangement with the ACC.

If we let them into the B12, they may be almost as bad as UT (the conference killer). But if they need to be in a conf to succeed in the playoffs then I suppose anything is possible.
Obligated? Ha.
PartyBear
I believe it is almost certain that if ND joins a conference it will be the B10
historian
Probably. Big 12 didn't want them before. There's no reason to want them now.
Dia del DougO
Robert Wilson said:

BearFan33 said:

Obligated? Ha.
If there were a legitimate playoff system it would be required. But we all know it's a bunch of bullcorn.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
historian
BearlyBeloved said:

If nut jobs didn't exist, the news media would starve.

And many nut jobs have been elected.

Our Founding Fathers even called each other nut jobs:

1824 & 1828 were nasty too. 1860 was unique in that it led to secession & civil war. But the southern Democrats kinda guaranteed that by helping Lincoln win (they split the party & ran two candidates) then throwing a temper tantrum: secession & civil war!

The reality is that most election campaigns are pretty nasty.
historian
Bear2014 said:

first off.. never quote Swaim in anything serious. There has been no "reputable" source that the SEC and BIG have said no to FSU or Clemson.. just speculation. If they were to come into the XII, id expect some sort of distribution parity and im not sure how i feel about that

The Big 12 should not allow anyone in except on an equal basis. Texas should have taught us that lesson forever.
historian
BBWCBear said:

Yawn…. Big12 receiving ACC teams… never happen.

Some people said that about the Big 12 surviving the departure of the traitors or adding teams from the Pac 2 (current configuration).
historian
BellCountyBear said:

When can we change the damned name of this conference?

Not until realignment is finished. This reminds me of a political cartoon at the time of the Gulf War (I wish I could find a copy): it was a sign on the highway of death saying, "Welcome to Iraq, home if the world's 4th largest army." The "4th" was crossed & replaced with "5th" then that was grossed out & replaced with "6th", and so on. After Desert Storm they were decimated. It was funny because it was based on truth.
historian
OsoCoreyell said:

BBWCBear said:

Yawn…. Big12 receiving ACC teams… never happen.
Big 12 will get some ACC teams, but not those teams. We'll pick up Duke and Stanford when the ACC folds like a Jos. A. Banks suit in a few years, and we'll be the nastiest basketball conference around.

Big 12 is already the best basketball conference by far, especially with the addition of Arizona. If we were to add Duke, UNC, NC State, Virginia, & maybe a couple others it would only add to that domination. I don't know about Stanford.
historian
Dia del DougO said:

Probably won't happen, but it would be funny if SMU wasn't one of those invited. Though, I'm in favor of them being in the Big 12 and having more Texas rivalries on the schedule.

Maybe. I wasn't excited about adding houston because I thought it might mean too many from Texas but if the conference gets to 20+ then one more won't matter much especially if they can be competitive in multiple sports, especially football & basketball.
historian
boognish_bear said:

Instead of divisions, I'd prefer regional pods: obviously the Mountain time zone teams belong together as good Texas teams, maybe with OSU. The rest would fall into place easily. Also, I'd like to add Pitt & at least 1-2 of the NC schools, especially Duke & UNC. Can you imagine Baylor MBB playing Kansas, Houston, Arizona, Duke, & UNC every year? It would be the same for each of them playing each other & Baylor annually.
Aliceinbubbleland
Courts action in ACC as of today

The latest ruling means all four cases will proceed in three different jurisdictions: Florida State vs. the ACC in Leon County, Florida, and Clemson vs. the ACC in Pickens County, South Carolina -- which both aim to test the league's ability to enforce its grant of rights -- and the ACC's suits against Florida State and Clemson, both in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, which aim to uphold the grant of rights.

I can't see why either of those two would make a lateral move from ACC to Big 12
Kamala Harris: Lina Hidalgo on steroids.
Aliceinbubbleland
historian said:

boognish_bear said:

Instead of divisions, I'd prefer regional pods: obviously the Mountain time zone teams belong together as good Texas teams, maybe with OSU. The rest would fall into place easily. Also, I'd like to add Pitt & at least 1-2 of the NC schools, especially Duke & UNC. Can you imagine Baylor MBB playing Kansas, Houston, Arizona, Duke, & UNC every year? It would be the same for each of them playing each other & Baylor annually.
Looks like someone forgot Louisville is in ACC and we missed a great opportunity to invite them rather than the current spares we took in.
Robert Wilson
Aliceinbubbleland said:

historian said:

boognish_bear said:

Looks like someone forgot Louisville is in ACC and we missed a great opportunity to invite them rather than the current spares we took in.
Yep. Left them and likely Pitt on the table back when we were letting UT run the conference. Would've been a nice geographic pairing for WVU.
BearFan33
Aliceinbubbleland said:

The latest ruling means all four cases will proceed in three different jurisdictions: Florida State vs. the ACC in Leon County, Florida, and Clemson vs. the ACC in Pickens County, South Carolina -- which both aim to test the league's ability to enforce its grant of rights -- and the ACC's suits against Florida State and Clemson, both in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, which aim to uphold the grant of rights.

I can't see why either of those two would make a lateral move from ACC to Big 12

I think the ACC is locked into a very long media contract that isn't desirable. Once free of ACC maybe the b12 offers more
historian
I think there are some, maybe mss as my, who don't want Louisville.
chorne68
FSU and Clemson will join the Big 12 right after Biden is reelected president.
Johnny Bear
Whatever ultimately develops or doesn't develop in all of this it is at least refreshing to see the B12 continue to be aggressive and on the offensive instead of constantly being on its heels and in a reactionary defensive mode. And yes, Yormack is a genius.
Aberzombie1892
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Some articles are reporting that it would cost $572M per team to leave the ACC, and, even if that number would be cut in half and the Big 12 squeezed a few more million per team per year through sponsorships and similar activities, the value of leaving/destroying the ACC in order to join the Big 12 simply is not there. That's not even accounting for the fact that the media partners generally dictate realignment, and, given that they are already paying FSU/Clemson/etc., it seems quite unlikely that they would pay them a lot more money to play ISU, KSU, and Baylor vs. what they are currently paying them to play Pitt, Louisville, NC State and BC.
Aliceinbubbleland
And ND.
boykin_spaniel
To paraphrase Lucky Ned from True Grit on behalf of FSU and Clemson, "I don't need a good lawyer. I need a good judge."
jikespingleton
BearlyBeloved said:

muddybrazos said:

Even if this is all just talk, Brett Yormark is a genius for floating all of this out there. He probably has had these conversations with all of these teams so there maybe something there. I do like the fact that ND doesn't want to be in the big10 or they would've already joined.
Traditionally, ND is interested only in a conference that could be named The Big 1.

My thought as well.
historian
The rumor always seemed far fetched
Gmak
boykin_spaniel
Scheer was pretty accurate regarding PAC12 info and Arizona. Interesting development as he is not a shock jock like Swaim
PartyBear
He may be an insider at Zona that is why he was reliable about PAC and Arizona info. I doubt he has inside info as to what FSU and Clemson are doing or perhaps not much as of now as to what the XII is doing. I'm not sure his info here is anything but what he has seen on Twitter's echo chamber about this. If it is his contacts at Zona telling him this (I'm guessing Zona is being briefed on XII matters ) it is one thing, if it is just people like who I mentioned earlier in this thread, then he doesn't know more than any random poster here. Also if you read what he said, all he said is some people believe this could happen. That isn't saying much even if accurate.
boykin_spaniel
You are correct. It is not much but it is more than Swaim despite the "believes" line.
Aliceinbubbleland
Exactly. FSU and Clemson will use any stick they can to poke at the ACC agreements. If they want to use the Big 12 as fodder they will but they have no intention of lateral moves.
PartyBear
The only thing that contradicts that is should the B10 take UNC and UVA or ND, it is no longer a lateral move anymore. Additionally allegedly BY is working on ways to boost the income of each XII school substantially. So I would not say it is an impossibilty. I'm just blowing this stuff off so long as Swaim is the guy who started this echo chamber on Twitter and is the main source. That is as bad as picking a random poster here as a source for something like this.
tmcats
i'm taken by the fact that we have not heard a single denial from clemson or tallahassee. they could easily shut down all this blow with a wet towel statement. they have not. this suggests something is going on. i'm sure yormark has been to both towns just as he was at boulder and tucson a year past.

as for exiting the existing acc contract, that's what private equity may be used to fix. we can be sure that card will not be laid without predetermined financial goals having been met with media partners. these people - yormark, media, private equity firm - are not dumb.
Aliceinbubbleland
They do not want to shut down any chaos they can create to try and escape. They love this speculation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.