Rumor: Clemson & Florida State may lead 6 ACC teams to join the Big 12

19,708 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Aliceinbubbleland
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

historian said:

Unfortunately. Someone needs to find a way to end the rigged playoffs, aka the ESPN Blue Blood Invitational.
An expanded playoff will at least guarantee access to a few teams outside of the P2. But that access will always come on the P2 conferences' terms.

The best thing the Big 12 and others can do is get better. The only way to change the narrative and earn more access is to win when given the opportunity.
I know you guys think the TCU fiasco was a huge negative. But, they still beat Michigan in the Playoff. Objective people believe they were not good enough to compete to win it, but they were good enough to spoil someone else's day. For a Playoff that is enough, you don't have to win it all just win some. Not being from Texas, my TCU hatred is at least on the spectrum, many here it is off.. They did more than OU!
The thing I like about an expanded playoff is it will create levels of success. In a 12-team playoff, getting to the semifinals will be an achievement that it wasn't in the four-team playoff.

We've seen that in college basketball where getting to the Sweet Sixteen or beyond is lauded. I think the same will happen in football going forward. Winning a playoff game or two will be a big deal, even if you're not winning championships.
As it should be. Getting to the Semi-Finals is a great year.
Assassin
A 24 team Big 12 in the works?

On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Aliceinbubbleland
Hope it's true. That would be much better entertainment.
Kamala Harris: Lina Hidalgo on steroids.
Assassin
So apparently there was some talk with Notre Dame and Miami to join Clemson and FSU IF, Yormark pulls off the private equity deal. I missed that a couple of days ago.
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Stefano DiMera
Here we go again.

I just admonished someone on the other thread.

You guys keep falling for fake news..not just sports but politics.

Pronounce that guys name in your head. Pretty childish huh?

Look at his email and bio..how can you not see this is a parody account?

Do better Baylor graduates geez.
Assassin
FLBear5630
bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

MT_Bear said:

historian said:

Bear2014 said:

SEC wants new territory. If they expand, it'll be UNC/NC State or UVa/VT

Do they really want to expand further? Is that speculation or have the SEC leaders actually said something like that?
Popular internet speculation. Not as sensible speculation either, since brand on brand matchups matter more than "territory" in the world of streaming. Clemson vs Georgia, FSU vs Alabama - those are ratings monsters. UVa vs, well, anyone = not so much.
This is exactly why the smoke around Clemson/FSU being excluded from the P2 makes no sense. It makes as much sense as the arguments against Oregon/Washington joining the B1G - sure, they took lower payouts because the alternative options were not attractive, but that realignment was inevitable after USC/UCLA joined the B1G.
The lower payout is no small detail. They don't get in the Big Ten without agreeing to a deeply discounted rate that all but eliminated the monetary advantages of the move.

This wasn't terribly different from SMU's situation with the ACC. They bought their way into a more prestigious league that didn't really covet them.

Florida State and Clemson might be able to do the same thing. But the larger these leagues grow, the less likely that becomes because it gets more and more difficult to bring pro-rata value. And all of these teams that are taking discounts now will want full value in the next round of TV negotiations, which will likely come in a tighter market than the last one they negotiated in.
UNC and UVA have a better shot at the SEC than FSU and Clemson. They fit the profile better and expand the footprint. SEC does not think like other Conferences, they do not care. They are the SEC, they are the Deep South and will not budge off their culture.
Wicked_Wombat
Fit the SEC profile better...? UVA and UNC are highly-rated academic institutions where academics trump sports. They are more like Vanderbilt than any other school currently in the SEC...and Vandy is not your typical SEC school.
boognish_bear
FLBear5630
Wicked_Wombat said:

Fit the SEC profile better...? UVA and UNC are highly-rated academic institutions where academics trump sports. They are more like Vanderbilt than any other school currently in the SEC...and Vandy is not your typical SEC school.
They are deep south Universities in the only 2 Southern states the SEC has no visibility. They add to the Culture, the footprint and the sports SEC need help in mainly BB. FSU and Clemson detract from the big picture by competing with existing SEC schools and both bring histories of less than stellar oversight bringing nothing to the academics.

With Vandy, UT, UNC, UVA, UF, A&M and UGA that gives an Academic footprint that competes with B10. This is not about a few extra million each year anymore, this is ego. Those Conferences are going for the full Monty, football is the driver. But, they already got that.
Aliceinbubbleland
When I think deep south I think of Louisiana east to South Carolina. I never considered UVA and UNC deep south. Just deeply southern .

I still think the networks, not the Presidents, control who goes where at this stage of the game in football.

UCLA, Washington, Nebraska, Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland Presidents will do as told by networks and tOSU folks.

Everyone in SEC is just giddy to be lucky enough to have a solid home. There could be termoil in B1G but not SEC.

Kamala Harris: Lina Hidalgo on steroids.
FLBear5630
Aliceinbubbleland said:

When I think deep south I think of Louisiana east to South Carolina. I never considered UVA and UNC deep south. Just deeply southern .

I still think the networks, not the Presidents, control who goes where at this stage of the game in football.

UCLA, Washington, Nebraska, Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland Presidents will do as told by networks and tOSU folks.

Everyone in SEC is just giddy to be lucky enough to have a solid home. There could be termoil in B1G but not SEC.

There will be no turmoil, they do not allow that. UNC and UVA have more in common with the SEC than the B10.
Aberzombie1892
Wicked_Wombat said:

They are logical B1G fits, and it would shock the landscape if they chose the SEC over the B1G for one of many reasons - higher annual conference payouts in the B1G, better research/academic institutions in the B1G, more national exposure in the B1G, etc.
FLBear5630
Aberzombie1892 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

They are logical B1G fits, and it would shock the landscape if they chose the SEC over the B1G for one of many reasons - higher annual conference payouts in the B1G, better research/academic institutions in the B1G, more national exposure in the B1G, etc.

We will see. I say they go South and be the Academic big dogs with Vandy, not just one of the crowd where even UCLA can argue they are better academically. There fan bases will want to see UGA, BAMA and LSU over Michigan and Penn State.
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

And the Big Ten seems more determined to add than the SEC does. The SEC really doesn't need to expand. It may feel that need at some point. But the additions of Texas and OU pretty much ensured that it will not only be competitive in the areas it truly cares about, but will remain dominant in those areas -- even at 16 schools.
boognish_bear
FLBear5630
Hell, who knows. All I know in FL I am hearing from UF Boosters that UNC and UVA are more coveted than FSU and Clemson. I heard about a 20 team SEC with all four, backed by articles. If they say no to Clemson and FSU because USC does not want Clemson. 18 would work as well. But, stranger things have happened, USC and UCLA are now B10! Who knew?

SEC expansion: FSU, UNC, Clemson, Virginia a fit. Just see CWS (tennessean.com)

ESPN's Chris Low explains why UNC, Virginia are more likely to join SEC than Clemson, FSU (msn.com)

SEC Expansion Rumors: FSU Joins Big Ten as UNC and UVA Eyed for Growth - BVM Sports
PartyBear
I heard from a Univ of Texas guy also that UNC and UVA is how the SEC would raid the ACC if they do. I see those as more of a fit with the B10 just as I do Texas as well. But nevertheless........
Aberzombie1892
bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

And the Big Ten seems more determined to add than the SEC does. The SEC really doesn't need to expand. It may feel that need at some point. But the additions of Texas and OU pretty much ensured that it will not only be competitive in the areas it truly cares about, but will remain dominant in those areas -- even at 16 schools.
It's a complicated comparison. The SEC is currently pound for pound the better conference on the field, although the B1G will improve and get closer over the next few years with the impact of its addition and filtering out of some legacy competition. In contrast though, the SEC's biggest weakness relative to the B1G is its limited major media markets, and SEC could address that to the extent that it can with pursuing UVA and UNC.

That would of course leave the ball in UNC's and UVA's hands, and it would be fascinating if they by-passed the opportunity to be in a conference with Michigan, USC, UCLA, Washington, Northwestern, Illinois, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Rutgers and Maryland (i.e. top 50 US News) to be in a conference with Florida, Texas, Georgia, and Texas A&M (top 50 US News) - this is especially true with the potential for a Notre Dame/Stanford package deal to the B1G, which would add two more top 50 schools.
boykin_spaniel
This is more strategic and in line with SEC. Every recent expansion aside from the horns has been into a new state but Texas is a massive state so combing horns and aggies is like adding A&M and Missouri. It's so far the only power conference pretty open that they will stay relatively regional and only expand when it fits their agenda. UNC and UVA bring two new large states and elite basketball with some other top sports. They keep it regional. UNC and UVA meanwhile get a hefty payday and save big on travel. I doubt they want all their teams traveling every season multiple times across the country.

*side note: has anyone been to Clemson? It's in the middle of nowhere. The strip is smaller than the grease pit in Waco. Beautiful campus and good school but UNC comes with rapidly growing research triangle.
bear2be2
FLBear5630 said:

Hell, who knows. All I know in FL I am hearing from UF Boosters that UNC and UVA are more coveted than FSU and Clemson. I heard about a 20 team SEC with all four, backed by articles. If they say no to Clemson and FSU because USC does not want Clemson. 18 would work as well. But, stranger things have happened, USC and UCLA are now B10! Who knew?

SEC expansion: FSU, UNC, Clemson, Virginia a fit. Just see CWS (tennessean.com)

ESPN's Chris Low explains why UNC, Virginia are more likely to join SEC than Clemson, FSU (msn.com)

SEC Expansion Rumors: FSU Joins Big Ten as UNC and UVA Eyed for Growth - BVM Sports
I wouldn't be surprised to see the SEC go after UNC and Virginia, but I think both are better fits in the Big Ten. They're institutional priorities align more with the Big Ten than they do the SEC.
FLBear5630
boykin_spaniel said:

This is more strategic and in line with SEC. Every recent expansion aside from the horns has been into a new state but Texas is a massive state so combing horns and aggies is like adding A&M and Missouri. It's so far the only power conference pretty open that they will stay relatively regional and only expand when it fits their agenda. UNC and UVA bring two new large states and elite basketball with some other top sports. They keep it regional. UNC and UVA meanwhile get a hefty payday and save big on travel. I doubt they want all their teams traveling every season multiple times across the country.
SEC protects their brand better than anyone else. The biggest threat to SEC is not expansion, it is NIL. If NIL will let the SMU's of the world buy players (again) they will not be THE Conference. The other thing is it is nice to have the high academic schools, but for football and BB being flexible on academics helps...
boykin_spaniel
If priorities mean tripling your travel expenses for athletics
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

It's a complicated comparison. The SEC is currently pound for pound the better conference on the field, although the B1G will improve and get closer over the next few years with the impact of its addition and filtering out of some legacy competition. In contrast though, the SEC's biggest weakness relative to the B1G is its limited major media markets, and SEC could address that to the extent that it can with pursuing UVA and UNC.

That would of course leave the ball in UNC's and UVA's hands, and it would be fascinating if they by-passed the opportunity to be in a conference with Michigan, USC, UCLA, Washington, Northwestern, Illinois, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Rutgers and Maryland (i.e. top 50 US News) to be in a conference with Florida, Texas, Georgia, and Texas A&M (top 50 US News) - this is especially true with the potential for a Notre Dame/Stanford package deal to the B1G, which would add two more top 50 schools.
Major markets don't matter as much in college football as legacy brands. And the SEC is full of legacy brands. The Big Ten made some pretty major mistakes chasing markets. That's how they ended up with Rutgers, Maryland and UCLA, which either already are or will be long-term leeches on the league.
bear2be2
boykin_spaniel said:

If priorities mean tripling your travel expenses for athletics
Big Ten schools will be making almost $80 million a year in TV rights alone. Travel costs aren't a major concern for these schools.

Oregon and Washington just showed us that -- and they're only getting half shares of that TV money.
FLBear5630
bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

Major markets don't matter as much in college football as legacy brands. And the SEC is full of legacy brands. The Big Ten made some pretty major mistakes chasing markets. That's how they ended up with Rutgers, Maryland and UCLA, which either already are or will be long-term leeches on the league.
But UCLA is a top school.

The piece the people outside the South don't get is that they value regionalism. They are really not too concerned with Michigan or PA. SEC cares about the SEC and we are a fraternity. We care about one another no matter what, see Vandy... I think UVA and UNC fit that mold more than the B10 we will all submit to the B10 Academic rules or you are a 2nd class citizen.

The outlier in the SEC is UT, they do not fit... That is going to be the test for the SEC. UT has destroyed several Conferences... Next up.
bear2be2
FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

The piece the people outside the South don't get is that they value regionalism. They are really not too concerned with Michigan or PA. SEC cares about the SEC and we are a fraternity. We care about one another no matter what, see Vandy... I think UVA and UNC fit that mold more than the B10 we will all submit to the B10 Academic rules or you are a 2nd class citizen.

The outlier in the SEC is UT, they do not fit... That is going to be the test for the SEC. UT has destroyed several Conferences... Next up.
There are so many competing priorities. It makes for an interesting discussion. But if these leagues want to continue breaking the bank with their media rights deals, they can't keep adding schools that aren't actually worth full shares of their existing contracts.

There will come a time when ESPN and Fox can't afford to subsidize the many hangers-on in these leagues to pay the blue bloods what they feel they're worth. That's when things will get really interesting. We'll see how united these leagues actually are then.
BearFan33
Who could the SEC and B10 add that doesn't decrease (on a per school average) the next TV deal. Who adds enough value to increase the bottom line. Those are the impt questions.
bear2be2
BearFan33 said:

Who could the SEC and B10 add that doesn't decrease (on a per school average) the next TV deal. Who adds enough value to increase the bottom line. Those are the impt questions.
Notre Dame. And that's it. It's a one-school list.

The Irish are the last whale in the ocean.
Assassin
FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

I run a large State of Texas Facebook football page. The UT Tshirt fans are something I could do without. No telling how many I have banned because of them physically threatening, excessive cursing and so forth. Very little problem with Aggies or any other school other than the occasional twit...
FLBear5630
Assassin said:

FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

I run a large State of Texas Facebook football page. The UT Tshirt fans are something I could do without. No telling how many I have banned because of them physically threatening, excessive cursing and so forth. Very little problem with Aggies or any other school other than the occasional twit...
I live in FL but I went to Baylor and my son to A&M. A&M was actually THE BEST school to deal with from a Parent's perspective. They were outstanding from program to Financial Aid to following through. My son was in Galveston and evacuated twice, they handled it beautifully. As much as it irks me, I have nothing bad to say about A&M. Baylor's Financial Aid can take some lessons from "Howdy"...

bear2be2
FLBear5630 said:

Assassin said:

FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

I live in FL but I went to Baylor and my son to A&M. A&M was actually THE BEST school to deal with from a Parent's perspective. They were outstanding from program to Financial Aid to following through. My son was in Galveston and evacuated twice, they handled it beautifully. As much as it irks me, I have nothing bad to say about A&M. Baylor's Financial Aid can take some lessons from "Howdy"...
Honestly, A&M folk are only bad in bunches. Individually, they're some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. It's only when they get in crowds that things get culty and weird.

I have some good friends who attended UT, but in general, I find A&M grads to be much more pleasant to be around than Horns. And bandwagon Texas fans can be downright unbearable.
boognish_bear

boognish_bear

Aberzombie1892
bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

If markets didn't matter, the B1G wouldn't be more valuable to media than the SEC. Agree?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.