Where P5 schools fall on Forbes 500 list...BU at #257

2,529 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by historian
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigGameBaylorBear
Forbes is trash. It's hard to take your list serious when you have Iowa St, Kansas, AND TECH in front of Baylor
Killing Floor
Ok, good talk.
Any list that has Florida 381 places ahead of Penn State is sus.
Let’s Go!
OsoCoreyell
hahaha! That's a laugher!
Chuckroast
Killing Floor said:

Ok, good talk.
Any list that has Florida 381 places ahead of Penn State is sus.

Don't agree - Florida has multiple national championships In football and basketball in recent memory, as well as a top 15 - 25 Ranking as an academic institution - depending on which publication you're looking at.
boykin_spaniel
Terrible list. We're behind Ole Miss? They don't even go to class there. Proof you ask? I know multiple people who went there. Alabama? Pretty sure they accepted me before my transcript arrived. Know successful people who went to both but a couple of them would freely they knew people who skated by doing little work.

Side note: these lists are always dumb. There's no way to quantify. If you want to go into agriculture then K-State and Nebraska would be top 5.
boognish_bear
Tech almost 100 places higher than BU??
Daveisabovereproach
What is the criteria for these rankings? Is this another one of those rankings that includes "equality and diversity" as part of their ranking system?
johnnychimpo
UH is crushing it likely due to taking a good chunk of international students and Asians. Doesn't hurt that there isn't another R1 public for another 100 miles.

Not to mention all of the Fortune 500 companies located within a 20 mi radius of campus where a lot of employees who never finished school can easily go back and finish it up there.

Still don't really understand the appeal of solid academic people winding up at UH.
Aberzombie1892
johnnychimpo said:

UH is crushing it likely due to taking a good chunk of international students and Asians. Doesn't hurt that there isn't another R1 public for another 100 miles.

Not to mention all of the Fortune 500 companies located within a 20 mi radius of campus where a lot of employees who never finished school can easily go back and finish it up there.

Still don't really understand the appeal of solid academic people winding up at UH.

To be clear, UH has a very high ceiling as an institution in the long term, however, they may be 10-20 years away from truly arriving at or around that level.
boognish_bear
Here are the metrics. I wonder how they defined academic success?

boykin_spaniel
Baylor will always hurt a little when salary is factored in. As a school of faith we send many alums into very honorable but low paying professions. Pastors and other church work, not for profit work, social work, teaching, etc.
Redbrickbear
Daveisabovereproach said:

What is the criteria for these rankings? Is this another one of those rankings that includes "equality and diversity" as part of their ranking system?

"Return on investment" and "student debt" are a big part of it.

That will always hurt Baylor now that it cost $50k plus a year.

And that will help places like Ole Miss that costs 9K for instate tuition
Redbrickbear
Aberzombie1892 said:

johnnychimpo said:

To be clear, UH has a very high ceiling as an institution in the long term, however, they may be 10-20 years away from truly arriving at or around that level.

If they ever open up the PUF money to other Texas public schools besides u.t. and aggy then yea it could be a very very good school.

Being located right in a ranked alpha world city like Houston is seriously good location for a public university with good funding

https://houston.innovationmap.com/oxford-economics-global-cities-index-2024-2668392256.html
Killing Floor
Rice is designated R1
Let’s Go!
Daveisabovereproach
Redbrickbear said:

Oh I see. Yeah, I can't disagree with that
ilikebu
UH and Rice are only twenty three miles from IAH. There are direct nonstop flights available to places like Johannesburg, South Africa, and Singapore. That's twenty three hours flight time, or about ten thousand miles.
vanillabryce
Stupid list is stupid
MrGolfguy
Bogus list is bogus
Chuckroast
Redbrickbear said:

Yep - state schools will tend to fare much better.
Assassin
boognish_bear said:

Here are the metrics. I wonder how they defined academic success?

How they determined their rankings:
Alumni salary (20%)
Debt (15%)
Graduation Rate (15%)
Forbes American Leaders List (15%)
Return on investment (15%)
Retention rate (10%)
Academic success (10%)
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Football in Texas, Texas Music, and our newest Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
johnnychimpo
So what's your point? In what world is Rice considered a public? Rice is also far more utilized for graduate studies than the rest of the state. Who brags about an undergrad degree from Rice in fine arts?
TechDawgMc
It isn't just public/private. Tech schools have huge advantage because engineers walk out with good salaries. Rice does well because it has strong science and engineering. Schools that are strong on liberal arts or (as someone else noted) who tend to have a lot of social work and teaching grads, don't score as well.

It's actually a pretty objective approach. It's just flawed in terms of measuring what colleges are about
boognish_bear
boykin_spaniel
"Athens, we have a problem…"
Killing Floor
I'm willing to go down the path of a crazy debate with you but I'll need some context. What are you talking about?
Rice is private but so is Baylor and so are many of the schools on that OP list. So what?

And "who brags about a degree from Rice"?
Anyone who has the grades to get into Rice.

My post about Rice was in reference to someone saying there was no R1 university within 100 miles of UH and Rice and UH are both R1. And I have a map.

Anyway, it's July so we have another full month to argue about nonsense so Bring It.
Let’s Go!
johnnychimpo
Killing Floor said:

My post about Rice was in reference to someone saying there was no R1 university within 100 miles of UH and Rice and UH are both R1. And I have a map.

Reading comprehension is hard

Quote:

Doesn't hurt that there isn't another R1 PUBLIC for another 100 miles.

historian
There are not 500 schools in the P5, not even 100. It's just a few dozen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.