TSU HC Todd Whitten
Tarleton Preview
Player Media Session
Depth Chart Overview
Aranda Presser
Baylor Football

Gameday Thread: Baylor Kicks Off Season against Tarleton

August 30, 2024

The Baylor Bears (0-0) will face the Tarleton Texans (1-0) to open the 2024 football season at 6 p.m. CT inside McLane Stadium on Saturday. Click here to read, listen and watch content pertaining to Baylor vs. Tarleton State and more. 

DEPTH CHART ROSTER BIG 12 STANDINGS SCHEDULE

The Run Down

Baylor Tarleton State
Head Coach Dave Aranda Todd Whitten
Team Record 0-0 1-0
Leading Passer NA Victor Gabalis
11/18, 140 yards, 1 TD
Leading Rusher NA Kayvon Britten
25 carries, 164 yards, 0 TDs
Leading Receiver NA Darius Cooper
6 receptions, 85 yards, 0 TDs
Leading Tackler NA Caden Holt, LB
7 tackles
Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: Baylor Kicks Off Season against Tarleton

30,279 Views | 347 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Daveisabovereproach
Killing Floor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice win. Sic'em Bears

Things to work on but that's fine. Keep getting better.
Let’s Go!
EvilTroyAndAbed
bear2be2 said:

BUGWBBear said:

D has some holes as the game goes on. Hence my Aranda comment earlier. Even JJ isn't that impressed, calling it "basic".
"Basic" isn't a criticism of the defense's play, it's a commentary on the game plan.

We've been really vanilla on both sides of the ball tonight, especially in the second half.

But Tarleton is averaging 3.3 yards per play tonight. That's excellent by any standard.

Dude, BUGWBB wasn't impressed with our national championship in basketball. I wouldn't expect him to be happy with anything. He lives to be miserable.
Aliceinbubbleland
I've never bought in to the deliberate vanilla. You either have it or you don't. We don't. Look at the OU or Ole Miss or Washington St or Nebraska. There is no such thing as slowdown game plan.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
bear2be2 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Fans are hilarious...one of the Finn interceptions JJ Joe said Dallas Baker lit into Baldwin for either cutting his route short or not doing enough to prevent the pick..

He ain't getting benched next week.
Finn will look better once we're running our full offense. But we're blessed with a quality second quarterback. If we need to go to Sawyer at some point, he'll be up to that task.

Rose colored glasses.

What we saw this game:
He wasn't a good passer.
He made several bad decisions.
It's not obvious that he's going to be a great running QB at this level. Just didn't see enough to know.

Obviously too early to tell but I think he's got a long way to go, not sure he'll get us there. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Daveisabovereproach
Aliceinbubbleland said:

I've never bought in to the deliberate vanilla. You either have it or you don't. We don't. Look at the OU or Ole Miss or Washington St or Nebraska. There is no such thing as slowdown game plan.

You can't really claim the deliberate vanilla argument when a quarterback has 10 seconds to throw it and is chunking it 30 yards downfield into double coverage. I saw Spavital going over plays with him a couple times after those questionable throws, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that that is not how Spavital wants his offense to be played
bear2be2
Aliceinbubbleland said:

You could count both the designed quarterback runs and RPOs we ran tonight on one hand. And virtually all of them came on the first three possessions of the game.

If you think that's indicative of the offensive game plan we're going to see the rest of the season, I don't know what to tell you.
Stefano DiMera
14-22 for 200 yds...and an electrifying 40 yd TD run...and one of the picks as I stated above wasn't his fault..

I'm not saying put him in HOF but damn guys...let him settle in..I know Tarleton isn't the 72 Dolphins but they had played a game and this was Finns debut.
burg0047
After seeing tonight's performance 6-6 would be a good outcome for the season. There was plenty to appreciate... but there are still some pretty big questions.
boognish_bear
8:00 mins left in TT game.

ACU about to receive the ball down 7.
Daveisabovereproach
Stefano DiMera said:

14-22 for 200 yds...and an electrifying 40 yd TD run...and one of the picks as I stated above wasn't his fault..

I'm not saying put him in HOF but damn guys...let him settle in..I know Tarleton isn't the 72 Dolphins but they had played a game and this was Finns debut.

We will know what we have with Finn by next week. There were positive takeaways, but he also did some stuff that he will not be able to get away with against a better opponent regardless of gameplan. I think that's a fair assessment
bear2be2
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

bear2be2 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Fans are hilarious...one of the Finn interceptions JJ Joe said Dallas Baker lit into Baldwin for either cutting his route short or not doing enough to prevent the pick..

Finn will look better once we're running our full offense. But we're blessed with a quality second quarterback. If we need to go to Sawyer at some point, he'll be up to that task.

Rose colored glasses.

What we saw this game:
He wasn't a good passer.
It's not obvious that he's going to be a great running QB at this level. Just didn't see enough to know.

Obviously too early to tell but I think he's got a long way to go, not sure he'll get us there. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Dequan Finn's career didn't start tonight. This is his fifth year as a college quarterback. If you want to see what he's capable of, go watch his game against Ohio State in 2022.

He's an electric athlete, and he'll show that in a Baylor uniform before this season is over.

He needs to improve his decision making and pocket passing. But he'll look better once we start letting him play more to his strengths.
Assassin
In the words of Tim Burton, Dequan, Dequan, Dequan... Lots of dead stuff pops up
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Fair enough, just expected better decisions from this guy, it's not like playing against Tarleton level opponents is a far stretch from his prior experience.
BellCountyBear
WIN! Now let's go Irish!
bear2be2
burg0047 said:

After seeing tonight's performance 6-6 would be a good outcome for the season. There was plenty to appreciate... but there are still some pretty big questions.
I think this is a perfectly fair commentary. I saw a lot to be encouraged by, but we'll see how good we actually are the next two weeks.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

8:00 mins left in TT game.

ACU about to receive the ball down 7.
Maverick McIvor is a stud. He's another one, like Robertson, I saw and was super impressed with back in high school.
bear2be2
Tech's defense looks atrocious.
Jorkel
bear2be2 said:

bear2be2 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Rose colored glasses.

What we saw this game:
He wasn't a good passer.

Dequan Finn's career didn't start tonight. This is his fifth year as a college quarterback. If you want to see what he's capable of, go watch his game against Ohio State in 2022.

He's an electric athlete, and he'll show that in a Baylor uniform before this season is over.

He needs to improve his decision making and pocket passing. But he'll look better once we start letting him play more to his strengths.

You think he is going to improve his pocket passing and awareness his fifth year? I'm not gonna pass too much judgement until non con games have been played.
boognish_bear
bear2be2 said:

Tech's defense looks atrocious.

I was just about to post the same thing. They may be in for a long season.
bear2be2
Jorkel said:

bear2be2 said:

bear2be2 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Rose colored glasses.

What we saw this game:
He wasn't a good passer.

You think he is going to improve his pocket passing and awareness his fifth year? I'm not gonna pass too much judgement until non con games have been played.
I think, going forward, we're going to run a hell of a lot more designed QB runs and RPOs, which is what he's good at. I don't know why some of you are struggling so much with this concept.
Assassin
#3 Oregon, the new pride of the Big 10. Up 17-14 over...Idaho? Less than 10 mins left
bear2be2
Assassin said:

#3 Oregon, the new pride of the Big 10. Up 17-14 over...Idaho? Less than 10 mins left
Go Vandals!!!
Stefano DiMera
I think you can look at every one of the 16 QBs in the Big 12 after this weekend is through if you're their coach and say 'you could have done this better '.

You think the guy in Boulder who's mentioned for the Heisman wouldn't want a do over on some of the decisions he made Thursday night?
boognish_bear
Watching TT give up 42 points so far to FCS Abilene makes me feel even better about only giving up 3 tonight.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

Watching TT give up 42 points so far to FCS Abilene makes me feel even better about only giving up 3 tonight.
The opponent is who it was, but our defense was objectively excellent tonight. You couldn't have defended a whole lot better than we did.

I think everyone should be encouraged by that. Our new (and returning) guys have really helped that unit.
boognish_bear
IBleedGreenandGold
Finn is what I expected. A so-so passer but a good athlete that'll give us a chance to win.
boognish_bear
Last year we beat our FCS opponent LIU by 23.

We won by 42 tonight. Hopefully that's a good sign of an improved product.
bear2be2
IBleedGreenandGold said:

Finn is what I expected. A so-so passer but a good athlete that'll give us a chance to win.
I think Finn's value to the offense will really be seen once we're playing better defensive fronts and he's buying time and extending plays with his feet.

Finn has been one of the best quarterbacks in America at avoiding sacks for his career. Shapen was one of the worst. A lot of those sacks that Shapen would take that would kill drives are going to be gains with Finn.
boognish_bear
TT takes a 3 point lead.

ACU will get the ball with 2:39 left and a chance to win
bear2be2
McIvor is playing one hell of a game. He's going to come back to Abilene a legend if he pulls this off.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
wgeralds
bear2be2 said:

IBleedGreenandGold said:

I think Finn's value to the offense will really be seen once we're playing better defensive fronts and he's buying time and extending plays with his feet.

Finn has been one of the best quarterbacks in America at avoiding sacks for his career. Shapen was one of the worst. A lot of those sacks that Shapen would take that would kill drives are going to be gains with Finn.
the throwing off the back foot is giving me flashbacks
Assassin
Assassin said:

Oregon scored. 24-14 with two minutes left

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.