Matt Rhule

6,627 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jikespingleton
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This!! Seems fans are just pissed he left to pursue the NFL.
Sure he failed in the NFL (So did Saban whose the greatest CFB coach of time)
Rhule knows the college game and how to build programs. Don't be surprised if Nebby is 7-0 headed to Columbus
Aliceinbubbleland
Stranger said:

CorsicanaBear said:

The talent on the team in Rhule's first season was certainly not good but it was not as bad as the record showed. He was trying to make a statement and did so at the expense of fans. It was not necessary to achieve the team/school goals, only Matty's.

I don't hate the poor little ******* but I wouldn't trust him any further than I could throw Mac Rhoads. Rhule's stench still permeates this place.
I still remember that sweet smell of a 2021 Championship that Rhule built and still suffacating on the stench ever since. You and your sister hate Rhule just because he was from "up north".
Stefano DiMera
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

bear2be2 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

The only thing I'm hating on Matty over and that's the first season and the loss to Liberty. There was no reason for that. We could have won some of those games, but he was trying to send a message. That kind of thing pisses me off.
That's how Matt Rhule builds programs. Fans can be frustrated by it, but they can't argue whether or not it works.

Rhule rebuilds from the ground up in Year 1, so that he can get to where he wants to be in Years 2, 3 and beyond (if he stays long enough to see it).

People mocked "the process," but his process is undefeated as a college coach. The guy is a phenomenal college football coach. I just wish we could have kept him longer.
Matt Rhule is the feces of the species. He does not give a rat's ass about Baylor. Never did. We were just a stepping stone. He is Frank Solich 2.0. Nebraska fans have just not figured that out yet.

Frank Solich 2.0?

Are you aware of anything about his resume?

He was 58-19 in 6 years..that's 10-3 every year...

Is that supposed to be an insult?
Robert Wilson
Dude is a good coach and knows how to build a program.

Unfortunately, he didn't want to be at Baylor other than as a temporary stepping stone. Oh well.
Stefano DiMera
Based on their record last year...and the massive egg they laid yesterday..

Rhule obviously wasn't the problem in Carolina.
IowaBear
Carolina's problems go WAY higher than the HC. Rhule was always going to struggle in Charlotte because he wasn't being set up for success by the higher ups
MoneyBear
I think the fans who hate Rhule 1) loved Briles and hate that someone else won here, 2) think that anyone who walks away from the BU even for the NFL is crazy, or 3) hate that every coach leverages their hype for a raise.

Matt Rhule is great at building programs. That is well established and it's foolish to argue otherwise. I'm more interested in whether he is able to sustain success anywhere...but he'd have to stay in one place long enough for us to find out.
Robert Wilson
MoneyBear said:

I think the fans who hate Rhule 1) loved Briles and hate that someone else won here, 2) think that anyone who walks away from the BU even for the NFL is crazy, or 3) hate that every coach leverages their hype for a raise.

Matt Rhule is great at building programs. That is well established and it's foolish to argue otherwise. I'm more interested in whether he is able to sustain success anywhere...but he'd have to stay in one place long enough for us to find out.
Our BOR handled that whole thing so badly that the next head coach was bound to have built-in detractors. Rhule coming in and posting up a home loss to Liberty and an 11-loss season to start didn't help. Rhule interviewing for jobs after that first season didn't help. But the guy clearly can build and run a program, and I wish he'd have stayed here. If he had, he'd be widely appreciated by now b/c he'd likely have just kept winning. But, to your point, he hasn't stayed anywhere long enough yet to prove that out.
boykin_spaniel
Rhule is a dang good program builder.

Dumb arguments I've heard:

1. He left us high and dry: he was very up front about wanting an NFL job. He was hired with that in mind.

2. He didn't recruit: it is true he didn't like recruiting but his recruits won us the 21 Big12 and Sugar Bowl. Pitre, Bernard, Smith, Ebner, Thornton, Woods, etc. Rhule guys.

3. He sucked in the NFL: so did Saban, Spurrier, Sark, and Pete Carroll his first go around. 3/4 of those have college championships and one could be knocking in the door this year again after coming up short last year.
cowboycwr
MR is a good coach but that 1-11 season was all on him. We were not that bad. Yes the roster was depleted but we still had talent on the team. Enough that we should have won a few more games.

But his record overall shows he is an average coach because he does t stay anywhere long term. He is barely above 500. If he wants to be discussed as a good or great coach that record has to improve and that means staying somewhere and stop rebuilding programs. Otherwise as time goes by and people look back they will mostly forget the other things of the state of a program when he took it over, taking nfl phone calls every off season, recruiting success, etc. and see just his overall record.
boykin_spaniel
Mike Leach may never get an official HOF induction because his winning percentage is 59 but 60 is required to get in currently. No one doubts Leach isn't deserving because he coached 3 historically challenged teams to big wins and seasons.
Big12Bear
Rhule feasted on patsies.

ZERO wins over a ranked team in his entire tenure here.

He almost got a win over a ranked OU team, only to blow a 25 point lead - probably a BU record.
bear2be2
Robert Wilson said:

Dude is a good coach and knows how to build a program.

Unfortunately, he didn't want to be at Baylor other than as a temporary stepping stone. Oh well.
Baylor fans didn't give him a whole lot of reason to want to stay at Baylor. They were calling for him to be fired three games in and only begrudgingly gave him credit in Year 3, when they would have looked foolish not to.

Rhule was always treated as an outsider by the #CAB crowd, which resented him because he was the antithesis of their hero in virtually every way. Half of those people wanted him to fail as some sort of twisted vindication of Art.
Aliceinbubbleland
I"m firmly the most pro Briles fan on this board and I was a huge supporter of Rhule. I probably made a hundred dumb posts criticizing him but in his third year I was firmly hoping he stayed. We lacked the speed and thrills of Briles but we won and there is no doubt our 2021 championship was his.
cowboycwr
boykin_spaniel said:

Mike Leach may never get an official HOF induction because his winning percentage is 59 but 60 is required to get in currently. No one doubts Leach isn't deserving because he coached 3 historically challenged teams to big wins and seasons.

True. Which makes his record even more remarkable. I have a feeling he may get in under some obscure rule, members voting him in type thing eventually.

But it would also be one of those things that looking back 30 years from now his record will be seen as average because people will have forgotten the part you just mentioned. Or that he passed before being able to finish the job at miss state.
BUGWBBear
Fre3dombear said:

Dave Aranda is loyal

He coaches like a DEI hire.
boognish_bear
Big12Bear said:

Rhule feasted on patsies.

ZERO wins over a ranked team in his entire tenure here.

He almost got a win over a ranked OU team, only to blow a 25 point lead - probably a BU record.

After going 0-7 at home against FBS schools including one G5 school I would take feasting on patsies right about now.

boykin_spaniel
People don't get forget success. Don Coryell never won a Super Bowl but any football fan knows Air Coryell.
bossbowman
CaliBear00 said:

I'll never grasp the Matt Rhule hate. He's unquestionably a great college coach. Why was he disliked, because we weren't putting up over 50 points a game? I'd take Coach Rhule back in a heartbeat. Winning seems exciting to me.

He came to this dumpster fire of a program mired in one of the most horrific scandals in the history of college sports and resurrected it. I'm forever grateful.
Same here, glad we we had him while we did
D. C. Bear
boykin_spaniel said:

Rhule is a dang good program builder.

Dumb arguments I've heard:

1. He left us high and dry: he was very up front about wanting an NFL job. He was hired with that in mind.

2. He didn't recruit: it is true he didn't like recruiting but his recruits won us the 21 Big12 and Sugar Bowl. Pitre, Bernard, Smith, Ebner, Thornton, Woods, etc. Rhule guys.

3. He sucked in the NFL: so did Saban, Spurrier, Sark, and Pete Carroll his first go around. 3/4 of those have college championships and one could be knocking in the door this year again after coming up short last year.

Pitre was NOT a Rhule recruit.
Stefano DiMera
cowboycwr said:

MR is a good coach but that 1-11 season was all on him. We were not that bad. Yes the roster was depleted but we still had talent on the team. Enough that we should have won a few more games.

But his record overall shows he is an average coach because he does t stay anywhere long term. He is barely above 500. If he wants to be discussed as a good or great coach that record has to improve and that means staying somewhere and stop rebuilding programs. Otherwise as time goes by and people look back they will mostly forget the other things of the state of a program when he took it over, taking nfl phone calls every off season, recruiting success, etc. and see just his overall record.

Please stop with this nonsense that this roster was good...did we have a ****ing quarterback?...no..

The disaster was 2020..that team should have won the Big 12...it had talent...and yeah it was COVID..but is was COVID for everyone..
PartyBear
I'm curious as to how and why 20 had nothing to do with Rhule but the next season after that when we had our best season in history it was all Rhule.
cowboycwr
Stefano DiMera said:

cowboycwr said:

Please stop with this nonsense that this roster was good...did we have a ****ing quarterback?...no..

The disaster was 2020..that team should have won the Big 12...it had talent...and yeah it was COVID..but is was COVID for everyone..

Did I say it was good? No I did not. Did I say it had some talent on it? Yes it did. Enough to win a few more games.

It had more talent on it than any Kevin Steele era team.

It was not the worst roster we ever had.

People want to rewrite history to make his "turn around" even greater but the fact is that season was on him. His record shows he is a barely above 500 coach overall and a BELOW 500 coach at Baylor.
IowaBear
Tell me about all this talent Rhules first squad apparently had. That team was bare of at all 3 levels offensively and defensively.
boykin_spaniel
Rhule elected to get a lot of young guys reps over soon to be departed vets who maybe would've won another game or two. It paid off long term. Rhule has hit double digit wins by his third season at Temple and Baylor. Both impressive. He looks capable of doing it at Nebraska which would also be impressive.
Stefano DiMera
I have never heard one Dallas Cowboys fan complain about Jimmy Johnson's 1-15 first season in Dallas.

And they had Troy . Michael..and Emmitt..he stripped the thing down to see who could play and build his culture...I'm sure they could have squeaked out 2-3 more wins playing washed up veterans.
baylor1984
E wasn't on that team, but the point remains the same. The one game they did win Aikman didn't start it was Steve Walsh who got the lone W that year.
cowboycwr
boykin_spaniel said:

Rhule elected to get a lot of young guys reps over soon to be departed vets who maybe would've won another game or two. It paid off long term. Rhule has hit double digit wins by his third season at Temple and Baylor. Both impressive. He looks capable of doing it at Nebraska which would also be impressive.

This post is funny given the one right above it that claims we had no talent on the team and yet somehow we got young guys reps that season. Guys that would win with rhule the next two years and suddenly become talented.

So which is it? We had no talent or just young guys?
Robert Wilson
Stefano DiMera said:

I have never heard one Dallas Cowboys fan complain about Jimmy Johnson's 1-15 first season in Dallas.

And they had Troy . Michael..and Emmitt..he stripped the thing down to see who could play and build his culture...I'm sure they could have squeaked out 2-3 more wins playing washed up veterans.
Yeah, that's a little different. We were used to winning big. Everyone was already pissed off b/c of how badly the Briles thing was handled. Then he posted up a loss to Liberty en route to losing 11. Was more of a "salt in the wound" situation. But I think his final product justified his approach.
cowboycwr
IowaBear said:

Tell me about all this talent Rhules first squad apparently had. That team was bare of at all 3 levels offensively and defensively.

Charlie Brewer
Denzel Mims
Trestan Ebner
Blake Lynch
JaMycal Hasty
Jalen Hurd
Sam Tecklenberg
Bravo on Roy
Pitre

And several others that ended up on NFL rosters or at least in camps.

So yes there was talent there. Much of it may have been young players but we had talent. Unlike much of the early 2000s when we had no talent on the teams and our best player and only draft hopeful might be the punter.

This rewriting of history to make it seem that first year was the worst team ever is old and patently false.

cowboycwr
Stefano DiMera said:

Internet message boards weren't a thing…..

ESPN did not have 15 different shows dedicated to the NFL, talking heads, fantasy sports shows, and was not as well known as today.

Otherwise I'm sure there would have been a lot of complaining.

Also, the win immediately attitude of the NFL and college did not exist as much yet
Stranger
cowboycwr said:

Stefano DiMera said:

ESPN did not have 15 different shows dedicated to the NFL, talking heads, fantasy sports shows, and was not as well known as today.

Also, the win immediately attitude of the NFL and college did not exist as much yet

are we still kicking little Matty around?
IowaBear
Hurd wasn't on the 1-11 squad. He came the following year. The guys you listed were raw. Talented sure, but very raw. None of them truly reached their potential under Rhule until year 3-4.
Hasty, Blake Lynch, Ebner were never elite players. Solid pieces sure. But never elite. The only guy you listed with elite talent was Pitre and Mims and they were what Freshman in Rhules first year?
cowboycwr
Stranger said:

cowboycwr said:

Stefano DiMera said:

are we still kicking little Matty around?

I'm not kicking him around. I even called him a good coach in my first post.

I just pointed out his factual record overall and at Baylor, as others have done about his record against ranked teams, and that his first year was a failure and the excuse cannot be it was the worst roster Baylor ever had.
cowboycwr
IowaBear said:

Hurd wasn't on the 1-11 squad. He came the following year. The guys you listed were raw. Talented sure, but very raw. None of them truly reached their potential under Rhule until year 3-4.

Wrong. He was at Baylor that year but sitting out due to the old transfer rules.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.