Story Poster
Baylor Football

Gameday Thread: Baylor vs. Texas Tech (AT&T Stadium)

November 11, 2017

BAYLOR (1-8) vs. TEXAS TECH (4-5)

AT&T Stadium | 11 a.m. CT | Fox Sports

Depth Chart | Class Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Baylor Staff | Baylor Roster

Bears look to build on momentum

Baylor secured their first victory of the season and of the Matt Rhule era last Saturday over the Kansas Jayhawks and now are headed to Arlington to face Texas Tech with hopes of pulling out their second in a row.

If the Bears indeed leave AT&T Stadium with a victory it will be the first time the program has won consecutive games since week five and week seven of the 2016 season when the Bears defeated Iowa State and Kansas. The two wins were the final stretch of a seven-game win streak and 16 of their last 19 games dating back to 2015.

While the Bears cannot become bowl eligible for an eighth consecutive season, a strong close to the season would be a huge boost to the recruiting efforts of the Bears who currently hold verbal pledges from 19 2018 prospects.

Baylor has won five of their last six contests against Texas Tech but lost the most recent of the series in 2016, 54-35. Then freshman Zach Smith threw for 377 yards and three touchdowns while running back Terence Williams rushed for 147 yards and two touchdowns.

SIDENOTE STORYLINE

Texas Tech playing for Kingsbury's job?

As Matt Rhule settles into the final three games of his first season in Waco, Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury is feeling his seat get warm as the Red Raiders have dropped five of their last six including a heartbreaking overtime loss to Kansas State last weekend when Tech led by eight points in the final minutes. The stretch came after Tech opened the season with wins over Arizona State and Houston and began the season 4-1.

The loss to KSU was the second time in Big 12 play Tech has blown a fourth-quarter lead in Big 12 play. Back on Oct. 14, the Red Raiders held a double-digit lead over West Virginia only to see the lead evaporate in the final quarter, dropping the contest 46-35 in Morgantown after giving up 22 points in the final 15 minutes. In that six-game stretch Tech has claimed only single victory over Kansas and has also lost to Oklahoma State, Iowa State and Oklahoma.

Sitting at 4-5 in 2017, Kingsbury has posted a 28-31 overall record in his time in Lubbock and reached a bowl game twice in 2013 and 2015. With three games remaining this season against Baylor, TCU and Texas, missing a bowl game for a second-straight season and falling apart after another promising start could be the final straw for Kingsbury.

MATT RHULE QUOTE OF THE WEEK

On team earning first victory of 2017 season...

“It was a ton of fun. Those guys have worked so hard and we’ve had to put things in perspective so many times in the locker room. We still had to put things in perspective after the game, because great teams ask what’s next and move forward. But it was good for them to have a chance to celebrate and be happy. I just liked the way they finished the game. I didn’t want a team that, when we finally got up and had a chance to win, would celebrate too early or be careless or sloppy or make the other team look bad or not be respectful. I just like the way our guys handled it at the end of the game. We found a way to keep them out of the end zone. We got our fourth quarter shutout. We ran for 65 yards in the fourth quarter. We got the touchdown to Ish [Wainright]. We won the game, shook their hands, said a prayer, went and saw our fans, and went to the locker room. The nice thing was that the way we handled things when we lost was the same way we handled things when we won. But to get in the locker room and see the happy looks on their faces, and to go in on Monday morning and have the team meeting and call out award winners, which we only do when we win, was really nice. Offensive scout team player of the week was Obim Okeke, and defensive scout team player of the week was James Lockhart, and they might not get a ton of time to play right now, with Lockhart sitting out, but all those guys understand it was a team win. It was all the guys on the scout team. It was all the guys that signaled during the game. It was everyone. That was fun.”

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Jim Black
Charlie Brewer

Charlie Brewer will get his second start of the season against Texas Tech and the freshman will need to be prepared to help the Bears keep pace with the high-flying offense from Lubbock. If Brewer can keep his pace from last week, the Bears should be in good position. 

Jim Black
Verkedric Vaughns

Baylor's safeties have been a weak link throughout the season but junior Verkedric Vaughns has begun to emerge as the season progresses. The success of Baylor's defense will depend on how well the secondary holds up, but a big game from Vaughns would be a big help.

Jim Black
Denzel Mims

As important as the defense is, "keeping up" is just as important as the Red Raiders will get their yards and points. Sophomore Denzel Mims will need to be helped out on the outside, but Baylor's leading receiver needs to make Tech's defense question their defensive alignments.

Jim Black
Offensive Line

The best defense is a good offense and Baylor's offensive line can be the deciding point if they can create running lanes for Baylor's running backs. If the Bears can dominate at the LOS and control the clock, the less time Tech's offense will spend on the field in Arlington.

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: Baylor vs. Texas Tech (AT&T Stadium)

72,156 Views | 489 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Assassin
BabaYaga
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacques Strap
Was Kansas fools gold or did the Bears turn the corner? We'll find out at Jerry World.
FWBear91
It's 10:45. Present crowd would probably be about average for a Bell/Trinity game. Come on Baylor fans, show up and support the team!!
BearKamp
This is the worst crowd by far from both teams I've ever seen here not surprisingly. Looks like 2000 BU fans showed up. Was literally able 45 mins before game time able to park second row next to stadium. Oh how times have changed.
JumboShrimper
We all know how the Baylor fan base is. Win and they'll show up. Lose and they don't. Much like other fans but we have fickle fans.
SicThe12
BearKamp said:

This is the worst crowd by far from both teams I've ever seen here not surprisingly. Looks like 2000 BU fans showed up. Was literally able 45 mins before game time able to park second row next to stadium. Oh how times have changed.
how many butts in seats in total?
Anthonybaylor2009
Only 6 comments so far? Dang how things have changed
JXL
That #%^* figures.
gobears20
Staff
When will we learn to kick it to the end zone
FWBear91
Oh my. Worse than I imagined.
Anthonybaylor2009
And that's the ballgame only wasted 14 seconds of my Saturday.
BylrFan
Trust the process
BearKamp
Ha! Just how I figured. Long game but geez how pathetic. Let's see if KU is/was just that bad.
RioRata
Tech goin' in dry early.

Raider Rash 7
Jersey Boy 0
SicThe12
RioRata said:

Tech goin' in dry early.

Raider Rash 7
Jersey Boy 0
not an ounce of vasline in sight
Anthonybaylor2009
And the good game thread by Marco is locked 14 seconds into it, about right.
bobo
What happened? Just got down from the deer stand and not home yet
Everything is racist
303Bear
SicThe12 said:

RioRata said:

Tech goin' in dry early.

Raider Rash 7
Jersey Boy 0
not an ounce of vasline in sight
An ounce? A drop would be nice!
303Bear
bobo said:

What happened? Just got down from the deer stand and not home yet
Think of the worst possible thing that can happen when you kick off, and then imagine it without anyone on our team even getting close enough to touch him...
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Tech with an annual tradition of hitting a Baylor QB late for a 15 yard penalty
JXL
Brewer gets the 1st plus 15 for the late hit
Beaneater
Jacques Strap
I like Brewer. Hope we can settle down and make it a game.
RioRata
BearKamp said:

Ha! Just how I figured. Long game but geez how pathetic. Let's see if KU is/was just that bad.

This is actually a question for you???
timetraveler
Is tech D worse than Kansas?
303Bear
Jacques Strap said:

I like Brewer. Hope we can settle down and make it a game.
I hope he doesn't get killed. Took too many shots against Kansas, and Tech is making it an annual tradition to hit our QB late as hell
JXL
I hate these 2 yard passes
Jacques Strap
You can see why Brewer was the most accurate passer in HS history
JXL
Ok let's punch it in
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Lynch has to secure that ball.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Nice offensive series for BU with the Holmes rushing TD on the lateral
JXL
That's a TD, nice running after the catch. Take the wind out of Tech' sails. A good kickoff would be nice now.
Tommy_Lou_Ramsower
!!!!!!!!
Jacques Strap
Quality drive. Brewer running for that initial first down was huge. Dude can ball.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.