Football
Sponsored by

* * Midway Goes 10-0

30,364 Views | 380 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RR/BV
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Pretty impressive. Too bad Mordecai didnt want to stay home for college.

Assassin
Waco Midway 59, Trophy Club Nelson 7

Undefeated Waco Midway scored 45 unanswered points in the final 32 minutes of action to roll past Byron Nelson 59-7 in a 6A Division II area round playoff game at AT&T Stadium. Midway advances to the regional semifinals to take on Mansfield on Dec. 1 at McLane Stadium in Waco.

Key players: Oklahoma commit Tanner Mordecai had 283 passing yards and four touchdowns while rushing for another 56 yards and a touchdown to lead the Midway offense. Jordan Joiner led Trophy Club Nelson with 118 yards rushing on 16 carries.

Key stat: Waco Midway rolled up 511 yards of offense with 283 yards through the air and 228 yards rushing.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
MilliVanilli
Oughta make a lot of Baylor faculty happy, undoubtedly they have kids on the team.
Assassin
Halftime score at McLane Stadium 6-A Texas Football Playoff Game
MIDWAY- 28
MANSFIELD -17
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Midway wins 48-17, looks like we will be back at McLane next Saturday. We will play the winner of Southlake Carroll and Arlington.
DAC
Assassin said:

Midway wins 48-17, looks like we will be back at McLane next Saturday. We will play the winner of Southlake Carroll and Arlington.

Sounds like a big second half. Congrats on the win.
Stephenville just beat #3 Argyle 31-28
Assassin
DAC said:

Assassin said:

Sounds like a big second half. Congrats on the win.
Stephenville just beat #3 Argyle 31-28
Argyles been a beast all year. Good win.
Assassin
Bearprof
Gleeson looked good against MHS early on, but he was bracketed most of the 2nd quarter and just about all of the second half. MHS is playing their best defense of the year. Gleeson will need to put on some weight and get stronger, but he can run. If MHS can have a bend but not break D and limit mistakes in O, they might be able to win it all.
PartyBear
I'm kind of thinking the Midway HC should be given a position on our staff.
Assassin
Bearprof said:

Gleeson looked good against MHS early on, but he was bracketed most of the 2nd quarter and just about all of the second half. MHS is playing their best defense of the year. Gleeson will need to put on some weight and get stronger, but he can run. If MHS can have a bend but not break D and limit mistakes in O, they might be able to win it all.
Wish the Bears had landed Mordecai. Looks like he might be a really good next level QB
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

Go Arlington!!!!!!!!!!!!
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

Bearprof said:

Wish the Bears had landed Mordecai. Looks like he might be a really good next level QB
If only
BaylorProud77
I just can't remember Midway being that great of a school academic and athletic in the 70's. They must have really stepped up. Of course, I may just not have paid that much attention. ha
Bearprof
When I've talked to folks who moved to this area in the '60s and '70s, they moved to Waco ISD due to the schools. When I've talked to others who did the same from the '90s and later, they moved to Midway ISD for the same reason (generally speaking). My kids have gotten a great education in MISD. No school system is perfect but MISD does a good job. Athletically speaking, MHS has been pretty terrific all around for the last 15 years. Mordecai can make every throw in the book. His pocket awareness has improved as the season has progressed. He has enough speed at the P5 level to be considered a dual threat, but he's definitely a pocket passer. The play calling for the last three weeks has been outstanding - good balance between pass and the run. He can throw the deep ball with touch and has plenty of arm to throw into tight windows. He would have been great in green and gold, but I'm satisified with Brewer and Smith. It's all about BU's OL at this point.
BaylorProud77
Bearprof said:

When I've talked to folks who moved to this area in the '60s and '70s, they moved to Waco ISD due to the schools. When I've talked to others who did the same from the '90s and later, they moved to Midway ISD for the same reason (generally speaking). My kids have gotten a great education in MISD. No school system is perfect but MISD does a good job. Athletically speaking, MHS has been pretty terrific all around for the last 15 years. Mordecai can make every throw in the book. His pocket awareness has improved as the season has progressed. He has enough speed at the P5 level to be considered a dual threat, but he's definitely a pocket passer. The play calling for the last three weeks has been outstanding - good balance between pass and the run. He can throw the deep ball with touch and has plenty of arm to throw into tight windows. He would have been great in green and gold, but I'm satisified with Brewer and Smith. It's all about BU's OL at this point.
good to see that they have done so well.
RioRata
PartyBear said:

I'm kind of thinking the Midway HC should be given a position on our staff.

Not sure if he could help. I mean if Bell, McGuire and Wetzel can't fix the offense...
gobears20
Staff
Midway use to not be good in football. We have aways since the 90's at least been good in academics. Midway got good in football because they take in a lot of kids from other areas. Also facilities have helped kids want to play there.
Boatshoes
Assassin said:

Bearprof said:

He is going to an institution of football.
LIB,MR BEARS
WISD recruits just to keep their own kids in Waco. Midway is VERY attractive compared to what Waco and other area schools have to offer.
Assassin
Bearprof said:

Midway was considered the premier academic school in the 60s and 70s in the Waco area. It was like a college prep school in comparison to Richfield (later named Waco HS) of the day. Lots of folks were moving out of Waco into the Midway district for the schools at that time. As I went to both, I can testify. Classes were MUCH easier at Richfield

We were pretty average in football. Lots of 4-6, 5-5, 6-5 type seasons. We won district in basketball while I was there. Did really well in women's sports. Lots of district and further wins in basketball. State titles in 1955, 1969, 1973, 1975, 1976 and a few afterwards.

Several of us played college ball off those teams but only Barry Joe Pledger was a SWC school to the best of my knowledge. Signed with Baylor - played for a couple of years.

So the Midway runs are kinda new to us. Great to see it happen.
Assassin
SL vs Arl 14 all at half
RioRata
Assassin said:

SL vs Arl 14 all at half

SLC ain't what they used to be since Todd Dodge left.

Speaking of Dodge, I googled him (sounds strange/creepy...huh) before making this post and discovered something I didn't know:

Quote:

Dodge is married to Elizabeth Neptune, daughter of Ebbie Neptune, longtime athletic director and football coach at Westlake High School of Austin, Texas.

I know Todd's resume is good enough to get the Westlake job but it's always nice to have an "in".
Assassin
24-21 Arlington deep into the 3rd
Assassin
Carroll up with 9 mins plus left 28-24
Assassin
Midway will take on Southlake Carroll next Sat. They beat Arlington 28-24
DAC
Sounds like it was a barn burner. Was you at the game Assassin?
Assassin
DAC said:

Sounds like it was a barn burner. Was you at the game Assassin?
nope. passing it on as it was relevant to Midway

also in 6a DII Steele (9-4) will face Austin Westlake (13-0) in the Class 6A Division II state quarterfinals at 8 p.m. next Saturday, Dec. 9 at the Alamodome.
Assassin
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/football/boxscore/2017/86691

boxscore of the Carroll-Arlington game
Assassin
Midway (13-0) vs. Southlake Carroll (10-3)
Round: Class 6A Div. II regional final

Time/site: 6 p.m. Saturday, McLane Stadium
Players to watch: Midway: Tanner Mordecai, James Fullbright, Trevius Hodges; Southlake Carroll: Will Bowers, Cade Bell, Ryan Thompson
Breakdown: Midway in the state quarterfinals for the first time since 2012. Behind an offense that averages 508 yards per game, the Panthers gear up to take on Southlake Carroll Saturday evening at McLane Stadium.
"The guys have just been having a lot of fun," Midway coach Jeff Hulme said. "They don't look tired even though its Game 14. They're enthusiastic to be out there, but they've still been pretty focused."
A week ago, Midway lit up McLane Stadium in a 48-17win over Mansfield behind strong defensive play while putting on an offensive display. The Panthers forced three fumbles, including a pair by junior defensive back Trevius Hodges.
"Trevius started out with a bang the first game of the season with an interception," Hulme said. "He's gotten better and better since. His tackling has gotten better. He's an enforcer from the safety position. When you've got somebody like that who makes plays, it's a real benefit."
Senior quarterback Tanner Mordecai continued to slice up opposing defenses as he finished with 256 passing yards and 90 rushing yards for a total of six touchdowns through the air and on the ground.
Now the Panthers turn their attention to Southlake Carroll. The Dragons are led by quarterback Will Bowers who has 2,217 pass yards and 27 touchdowns along with 131 carries for 828 yards and 7 touchdowns. His top target is Cade Bell who has 47 catches for 764 yards and 3 touchdowns.
On the ground, TJ McDaniel has been the guy for Southlake Carroll with more than 1,800 rush yards on the season. However, he sustained an injury in last week's game.
"Southlake Carroll is a good team," Hulme said. "They're in the quarterfinals for a reason. They don't make a lot of mistakes."
Assassin
Week 16 - State Semi-FInal Information

6AD1
Euless Trinity/Allen vs. Cedar Ridge/Pflugerville Hendrickson , Sat, 12/16, 2:00pm, McLane Stadium, Waco
Katy/North Shore vs. Lake Travis/San Antonio O'Connor , Sat , 12/16 , 3:00pm , Alamo Stadium , San Antonio

6AD2
Southlake Carroll/Hewitt Midway vs. Longview/Lufkin , TBD
Cy Fair/Langham Creek vs. Westlake/Cibolo Steele , Sat , 12/16 , TBD , NRG Stadium , Houston

5AD1
Denton Ryan/Lubbock Coronado vs. Highland Park/Mansfield Lake Ridge , Fri, 12/15, 9:00pm, AT&T Stadium, Arlington
Manvel/Temple vs. Angleton/Richmond Foster , TBD

5AD2
Richland/Aledo vs. Frisco Lone Star/Mansfield Legacy , TBD
FB Marshall/College Station vs. McCallum/Calallen , TBD

4AD1
Wichita Falls Hirschi/Stephenville vs. Kennedale/Kaufman , Fri , 12/15 , 5:00pm , AT&T Stadium , Arlington
Carthage/Henderson vs. La Vega/Liberty Hill , Fri, 12/15 , 7:30pm , Ford Center , Frisco

4AD2
Bushland/Graham vs. Melissa/Pleasant Grove , Thu, 12/14 , 7:00pm , Ford Center , Frisco
Salado/West Orange-Stark vs. Wimberley/Cuero , TBD

3AD1
Brock/Comanche vs. Grandview/Kemp , Thu , 12/14 , 7:00pm , AT&T Stadium , Arlington
Teague/Rockdale vs. Yoakum/Goliad , TBD

3AD2
Canadian/Childress vs. Gunter/New Diana , TBD
Newton/Waskom vs. Lexington/Boling , Fri , 12/15 , 7:30pm , Texan Drive , Porter

2AD1
Stratford/Panhandle vs. Crawford/Mart , TBD
Centerville/San Augustine vs. Mason/Refugio , TBD

2AD2
Wellington/Clarendon vs. Albany/Muenster , TBD
Timpson/Tenaha vs. Burton/Falls City , TBD
Robert Wilson
Longview/Lufkin is an old school East Texas slobber knocker.

Will be a lot of fun if Midway gets to the winner of that one.
Assassin
Robert Wilson said:

Longview/Lufkin is an old school East Texas slobber knocker.

Will be a lot of fun if Midway gets to the winner of that one.
You bet. Some strong schools in that area
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
BaylorProud77 said:

I just can't remember Midway being that great of a school academic and athletic in the 70's. They must have really stepped up. Of course, I may just not have paid that much attention. ha

Midway was good in the late 70's. Mike Lively was a Midway product. He once held the record for the longest pass reception in Baylor history. Midway excelled in academics also. The baseball team,(Coach Beverly), the football team (Coach Aubrey Roberts) and the basketball team (Coach Reggie Davis) all made the playoffs while I was in high school. Of course Coach Lemoyn's girls team made the trip to Austin on a yearly basis.

P.S. Thanks for the updates Assassin.
RioRata
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

BaylorProud77 said:

Midway was good in the late 70's. Mike Lively was a Midway product. He once held the record for the longest pass reception in Baylor history. Midway excelled in academics also. The baseball team,(Coach Beverly), the football team (Coach Aubrey Roberts) and the basketball team (Coach Reggie Davis) all made the playoffs while I was in high school. Of course Coach Lemoyn's girls team made the trip to Austin on a yearly basis.

P.S. Thanks for the updates Assassin.

Andy Hawkins signed football scholarship with Baylor before being drafted in the 1st round by the Padres.

Quote:

He is known for being the first (and thus far, the only) San Diego Padres pitcher to win a World Series game. Hawkins earned a victory pitching in relief in Game 2 of the 1984 World Series

Hawkins lost a one game playoff to Jefferson-Moore, his Sr year, to determine which team won district and would move on to play Delle Valley.

The Waco area was a hotbed of baseball back then. Waco High, University, Richfield, Jefferson-Moore, Midway, LaVega, Connally, China Spring, McGregor, Crawford, Marlin all sporting good to great progams.

Baylor made two straight CWS and MCC made seven straight NJCAA World Series (winning one). Dub Kilgo was one hell of a pitching coach/recruiter at both schools before moving onto Arizona State and winning CWSs there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.