Football
Sponsored by

Announced attendance?

7,088 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PartyBear
Johnny Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One more season anywhere close to this level of epic fail and we can probably start measuring for the new tarp we're going to need.
Dia del DougO
Stadium holds 45K, right? It was about half empty, even the berm could barely field a basketball team, upper decks were pretty bare.

Traffic after the game was fairly quick, too, despite everybody pretty much staying until at least the 4 minute mark.

Probably low 20s.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
PartyBear
Johnny Bear, I think the fans and alums said yesterday, go ahead and measure for it and use it until you make a change. I was expecting something like yesterday more like at the end of next season if it was still bad.

I'm kind of wondering if yesterday may have been somewhat of a game changer. Even half the tail gate grounds sat vacant. The bottom fell out from a support stand point since the last home game. Rhoades should be shxtting his pants at this point.
Big guy
57Bear said:

I'm thinking that BU will not increase the stadium seating for 2018.
Athletic Dept. may be ordering a brand new Ian tarp instead.
Osodecentx
Big guy said:

57Bear said:

I'm thinking that BU will not increase the stadium seating for 2018.
Athletic Dept. may be ordering a brand new Ian tarp instead.
MackTarp
Oso Pardo
lakersfan34 said:

PartyBear said:

There is no way the stadium was 2/3 full to all the people estimating about 30k. It really was at about 1/2 capacity at the most.
I agree, it was at best 1/2 full. The end-zone upper deck was empty, the bern had about 10 people at most. That being said, I expected worse for today. The crowd filed out throughout halftime and second half. Quite frankly, the product is boring and uninspiring.

As for the process, I have seen the same disorganized, sloppy play throughout all of these home games all season. At no point during the game did I feel that Iowa State was worried about losing. In fact, they basically ran the most vanilla and conservative game plan on both sides, daring Baylor to make a mistake, which they were more than happy to do.

Honestly, I am lost with this hope and optimism for next year that others proclaim after attending these games. Where does this sentiment come from? Is it all from how a coach speaks and acts? The game performance does not correlate to the level of belief from these fans. I hope it comes true as a long-time fan, but I honestly think those believing this are being deceived.
See the bold, italic above and that is exactly what it was like around us yesterday. During the first quarter it was actually pretty energetic but apparently everyone has lost faith because as soon as BU lost momentum then everyone seemed to just sit down and watch lethargically. We were all just going through the motions on the fight song....really couldn't even hear anyone spelling but we were all pumping our fists. When they would call "That's another Baylor first down" everyone moved their hands but nobody was yelling FIRST DOWN as they usually would. Very much a beaten fan base just waiting for the death blow. I never thought I would see these types of crowds in McLane but it was a reality yesterday....reminded me of the days in the Case when people got free tickets and came just to say that they went but not really caring about winning. Sad, very sad.
Quinton
Oso and lakers are exactly right. In addition to being very good, we were the most exciting team in the country. It caused many gut wrenching moments but it was entertaining. Other fans around the country were also starting to love our style of play too. Now we are extremely bland. So if you aren't winning big you have nothing
blackie
Volunteer said:

Actual attendance was no more than 25,000. Probably a lot less than that. Embarrassing. Upper deck in the end zone was essentially void of people.
Upper deck in the end zone is part of the opponent allotment. It is not a Baylor season ticket area. That area is a case of not selling game tickets for this game versus Baylor people having tickets there and not showing up.
Stretch
My wife and I was there. Could not have been more than 25,000. We were there for a full house for the Liberty game. Saw enough football in my life to know when I'm watching bad football and the rest of the season we have our season tickets to friends until today's game when we decide one more time. After the game was over it was the first time I felt no emotion after a game since Morris era. It was like deja vu all over again. We made the walk toward Ferrell parking and stopped at the practice field. My wife and I turned around and looked in amazement of our surroundings. Although we've made that walk many times we had taken it for granted an incredible stadium, indoor practice facility, practice field that looks like it's never had a cleat on it, and the athletic student weight training coaches offices tutorial building and a nutritional center and wondered what the hell. It was a very humbling and empty feeling. We looked at each other and agreed it was our last walk for football. 40 years and I told her I've had enough of the green and gold enema. We are Not going to go thru another emotional "Process Trusting Again". To all on this board you have your agendas as I have my own. Yesterday's walk more than woke us up that in those 40 years as ticket holders the process never changed. Baylor football is and has always been about mediocrity and hope more than a determination to play successful big time football . There's a certain inner circle within Baylor that just don't get what it takes or don't want big time college football at a consistent level. If I was McLane and other major contributors I would personally feel high jacked at where we've come in the last two years. Looking back yesterday across that river and thinking what really should have been happening on that field and what I saw I know we felt high jacked. At some point when is enough - enough.
Tommy_Lou_Ramsower

"Christian Mission accomplished!"
ImwithBU
blackie said:

Volunteer said:

Actual attendance was no more than 25,000. Probably a lot less than that. Embarrassing. Upper deck in the end zone was essentially void of people.
Upper deck in the end zone is part of the opponent allotment. It is not a Baylor season ticket area. That area is a case of not selling game tickets for this game versus Baylor people having tickets there and not showing up.

Partially true but inaccurate. Big 12 teams give back allotments that they don't sell during the summer. In the Briles era those seats would be sold to other BU fans once they were returned. People were begging for stadium expansion then, now I bet we are thinking our stadium is too big.
I for one must admit I was wrong. I thought Rhule was a good enough coach to have us in a bowl game this season. I learned that he is arrogant and hell bent on proving his "method" works if nothing else. By his own admission we should be "really good next year" so I don't want to hear any BS about young players and injuries next season.
I've watched this train wreck all season because I couldn't turn away for some reason. One thing for sure is we can't afford piss poor seasons. Baylor is already calling and begging for donations. Successful teams in other sports only goes so far, football is the cash cow and we have a stadium we have to pay for, donors have enjoyed winning, they are not going to keep giving for this type of product. There is hope and there is reality, reality is we have not improved.
StatMan
I was at McLane Stadium yesterday, and there was less than 35,000 fan in attendance. 3rd level in the north end had few people, as did the berm area below the video board. Probably 15,000 left at the end of the 23-13 Baylor loss to Iowa State.
YoakDaddy
Saw on espn that attendance was 40.6k. I saw only 4 boats and lots of empty tailgate spaces. I highly doubt it was 40k.
Boatshoes
Stretch said:

My wife and I was there. Could not have been more than 25,000. We were there for a full house for the Liberty game. Saw enough football in my life to know when I'm watching bad football and the rest of the season we have our season tickets to friends until today's game when we decide one more time. After the game was over it was the first time I felt no emotion after a game since Morris era. It was like deja vu all over again. We made the walk toward Ferrell parking and stopped at the practice field. My wife and I turned around and looked in amazement of our surroundings. Although we've made that walk many times we had taken it for granted an incredible stadium, indoor practice facility, practice field that looks like it's never had a cleat on it, and the athletic student weight training coaches offices tutorial building and a nutritional center and wondered what the hell. It was a very humbling and empty feeling. We looked at each other and agreed it was our last walk for football. 40 years and I told her I've had enough of the green and gold enema. We are Not going to go thru another emotional "Process Trusting Again". To all on this board you have your agendas as I have my own. Yesterday's walk more than woke us up that in those 40 years as ticket holders the process never changed. Baylor football is and has always been about mediocrity and hope more than a determination to play successful big time football . There's a certain inner circle within Baylor that just don't get what it takes or don't want big time college football at a consistent level. If I was McLane and other major contributors I would personally feel high jacked at where we've come in the last two years. Looking back yesterday across that river and thinking what really should have been happening on that field and what I saw I know we felt high jacked. At some point when is enough - enough.

This. Couldn't agree more. Of course, the usual crowd will show up soon to call you a fair weather t-shirt fan. When we get four wins next year they will use that as proof that the process is working.
Jacques Strap
Stretch said:

I get what you and others are saying. However, I think if BU returns to winning fans will return. Going to a football game is a big time and money investment versus watching on TV. For most folks football is entertainment and for most people winning at home is part of the entertainment expectation. There is always a core of fans that show up because for them the entertainment is watching football win or lose and there is a social aspect. But for many it is a stretch both time and money wise to go to these games and those are the fans who are gone. Winning will bring them back and maybe you too Stretch. With that said I agree with your thoughts regarding the new facilities and unwillingness to go through another series of coaches until we can catch coaching lightning in a bottle again.

I hope CMR can go 6-6 and then 10-2 like he did at Temple. But I also know this is the Big 12 and not the AAC. Good coaches get poached from the AAC every year so it is a league where a new guy can build quickly because "good teams" probably lost their coach. Good coaches stay in the Big 12 for years so it is harder to pass them up in the W/L column. CMR had a lot of NFL picks on those 10-2 Temple teams. So he can win with the best roster in the conference. But can he ever get to the point where he has the best roster in the Big 12? We'll see. Hope fully he has the alchemy skills to turn overlooked 3 stars into 1st round picks.
Osodecentx
I've seen this process before

Long wait
Jacques Strap
Osodecentx said:

Long wait
No doubt and people are just tired of waiting.
Osodecentx
Jacques Strap said:

Osodecentx said:

Long wait
Get used to it

Remember, though, we have the finest Title IX program around
Johnny Bear
Osodecentx said:

Quote:

Yeah, and at least we're getting all kinds of respect and kudos from that same media that trashed us into oblivion last year.........oh wait..............
YoakDaddy
Osodecentx said:

Jacques Strap said:

Osodecentx said:

Long wait
Get used to it

I just enjoy getting those condescending pats on the head again from OU and UT coworkers....back to the good old days!!!
Johnny Bear
Stretch said:

Many of us are thinking and feeling the same thing as you are and still shaking our heads while failing to understand why what happened rose the level of requiring that all of the effort, sacrifice (financially and otherwise), blood, sweat, and tears that it took to build a nationally relevant program over a multi-year period be completely nuked into ashes. Still makes no sense whatsoever.
PartyBear
Ironically the very things y'all speak of indicate an incredible pressure to get back to the top. The things y'all speak of show big time commitment to big time football, including one of the highest budgets in the nation now for coaches salaries. The problem here is that we have idiots making the personel decisions. That is the problem right now, not hiring the right personel to do this. Everything else is in place. The problem is that you cant cure idiocy. So that is a bigger hurdle than I made it sound, I admit, but not one that cant be over come.

I will reiterate again the empty stadium and empty tail gate lots surely has the current AD in a freak out mode, his survival in one of the highest paid AD positions is on the line and depends on Rhule or what he does with Rhule. I'm pretty sure the AD saw and understood he looked out upon the dawning of the apocalypse for his program under his watch. He understands he is out, and his AD career is over in all likelihood, if he doesnt turn it around really, really soon as well. I will say again the disasterous turn out on Saturday may have been a game changer.
Jacques Strap
PartyBear said:

Ironically the very things y'all speak of indicate an incredible pressure to get back to the top. The things y'all speak of show big time commitment to big time football, including one of the highest budgets in the nation now for coaches salaries. The problem here is that we have idiots making the personel decisions. That is the problem right now, not hiring the right personel to do this. Everything else is in place. The problem is that you cant cure idiocy. So that is a bigger hurdle than I made it sound, I admit, but not one that cant be over come.

I will reiterate again the empty stadium and empty tail gate lots surely has the current AD in a freak out mode, his survival in one of the highest paid AD positions is on the line and depends on Rhule or what he does with Rhule. I'm pretty sure the AD saw and understood he looked out upon the dawning of the apocalypse for his program under his watch. He understands he is out, and his AD career is over in all likelihood, if he doesnt turn it around really, really soon as well. I will say again the disasterous turn out on Saturday may have been a game changer.
I think with hiring you just have to get lucky if you are not an elite Blue Blood. Even elite Blue Bloods like Florida fire and miss but their odds are better. Absent hiring lock like Saban or Urban Meyer Blue Bloods, P5s, G5s and FCS teams strike out all the time in hiring.

Once you get that great coach enjoy it because it is a rare thing and more than a little luck you picked the one Unicorn out of a herd of plow horses.

Our women's Basketball coach is lightning (and thunder and piss and vinegar) in a bottle so better enjoy her too while she is still coaching.
Bro
Jacques Strap said:

PartyBear said:

I think with hiring you just have to get lucky if you are not an elite Blue Blood. Even elite Blue Bloods like Florida fire and miss but their odds are better. Absent hiring lock like Saban or Urban Meyer Blue Bloods, P5s, G5s and FCS teams strike out all the time in hiring.

Once you get that great coach enjoy it because it is a rare thing and more than a little luck you picked the one Unicorn out of a herd of plow horses.

Our women's Basketball coach is lightning (and thunder and piss and vinegar) in a bottle so better enjoy her too while she is still coaching.

Finally someone tells it like it really is. Hit the nail on the head.
Stretch
Over my 40 year support tenure we've had a .375 % making bowls. Yes that's 15 bowls in 40 years. 7 of those in the last 8 years. Now you people think about that futility. That's less than 1 bowl every 4 years. With Briles not here I'd say it would have been 8 bowls in 40 years. Do I want to support that anymore? NO!!! Baylors administration sat on its hands, wore its neat little green suits, and ate its popcorn on Saturdays like it was all that is involved in running big time college football. Baylors lack of understanding and effort to secure infrastructure within football doomed its existence on a national stage. Football grew fast and they watched instead of securing its existence internally. Again I've never condoned Briles innocence in all of this because he had his faults in his demise but he wasn't in charge of developing the titl 9 department nor the enrollment of the student athletes he brought in. Only after Briles dismissal did this administration choose to get involve as who were qualified citizens and who weren't. The same group absurbly decide to unprecedentedly let 1/2 a football class leave as well. Coaches are fired every year and players are held to there commitments. These are just a few reasons that stick in my crawl. I've sat through all the Wendy's buy a Meal and get free ticket years. I've sat through all the average "Believe in the process years". I'm damn tired of it. My understanding was Grant Teaff wanted his successor to be Pete Fredenburg. Now I give Grant his dues about football. He did more with less in facilities than anyone. His financial support was limited also. Hell I remember when it was a big deal that we got a "New Scoreboard". Now we don't know whether Pete would have been "The Guy" but at that time an administration with an equal In thought process as we have today obviously felt the Clemson connection was better suited. We see how that worked out. And Pete today? Well we will never know will we what might have been even today.I also hate TCU!!! But Baylor could have learned a lot from TCU's actions and blueprint. They were banished from bigtime football and and hated us (and still do to this day) because we were still in. They figured out how and what was needed to make everything around football work. Why because they wanted it. They want to be recognized as an institution in SUPPORT of football. By the way they have had some "bad dudes" their coach brought in also. Seems they had a pretty sizable drug ring develop under their current wizard. TCU seemed to figure it out. Many rich folks made some large financial commitments here. You heard their names loudly when we were winning. Hear anything now? Think their pissed, embarrassed? I'm just saying folks I've seen a lot over the years. I'm seeing more of the same 40 years. You tell me when's enough!
la1037
lakersfan34 said:

PartyBear said:

There is no way the stadium was 2/3 full to all the people estimating about 30k. It really was at about 1/2 capacity at the most.
I agree, it was at best 1/2 full. The end-zone upper deck was empty, the bern had about 10 people at most. That being said, I expected worse for today. The crowd filed out throughout halftime and second half. Quite frankly, the product is boring and uninspiring.

As for the process, I have seen the same disorganized, sloppy play throughout all of these home games all season. At no point during the game did I feel that Iowa State was worried about losing. In fact, they basically ran the most vanilla and conservative game plan on both sides, daring Baylor to make a mistake, which they were more than happy to do.

Honestly, I am lost with this hope and optimism for next year that others proclaim after attending these games. Where does this sentiment come from? Is it all from how a coach speaks and acts? The game performance does not correlate to the level of belief from these fans. I hope it comes true as a long-time fan, but I honestly think those believing this are being deceived.
The optimism being spewed has three sources

1) Anti-Briles/Pro BOR/Anti Baylor - folks who know or are related to BOR; or people who just hate Briles because they are either trolls of other schools who want us to lose or they have some burr under their saddle about sexual assault. Or people who just hate Baylor and love that we are losing and want to deceptively make it sound like we have a good thing so we don't push for better.

2) Friends/Family/Association with players or coaches. - the reason for the optimism here is self explanatory.

3) Folks in denial who just want badly for what is happening to not be happening so they pretend otherwise.

If not for these three types of people, I don't see how they can not be sickened by what we have been handed and still love Baylor.

"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
la1037
Stretch said:

Nailed it. The irony is some people will question your love of Baylor. While I can see you love Baylor more than most and one can only take so much disappointment before you just can't take it any more.

The one thing that gives me hope is that despite our idiot decision makers of Baylor's unelected leadership, we are still the only D1 Non-Catholic Christian School in the Nation. There are hundreds of state supported public schools. That one difference if used to our advantage, can pull us through the other side. Baylor is different. That difference after the negative hate dust settles will allow us to attract kids who want more than a being at just another state school. I just hope we find the right guy to push that fact and turn us around before we get kicked out of our P5 league - if that happens, we become no different than Liberty.
"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
Private Pyle
Announced = 40,000
Actual = 30,000
Actually interested at game = 15,000
Nguyen One Soon
la1037 said:

Stretch said:

UMy wife and I was there. Could not have been more than 25,000. We were there for a full house for the Liberty game. Saw enough football in my life to know when I'm watching bad football and the rest of the season we have our season tickets to friends until today's game when we decide one more time. After the game was over it was the first time I felt no emotion after a game since Morris era. It was like deja vu all over again. We made the walk toward Ferrell parking and stopped at the practice field. My wife and I turned around and looked in amazement of our surroundings. Although we've made that walk many times we had taken it for granted an incredible stadium, indoor practice facility, practice field that looks like it's never had a cleat on it, and the athletic student weight training coaches offices tutorial building and a nutritional center and wondered what the hell. It was a very humbling and empty feeling. We looked at each other and agreed it was our last walk for football. 40 years and I told her I've had enough of the green and gold enema. We are Not going to go thru another emotional "Process Trusting Again". To all on this board you have your agendas as I have my own. Yesterday's walk more than woke us up that in those 40 years as ticket holders the process never changed. Baylor football is and has always been about mediocrity and hope more than a determination to play successful big time football . There's a certain inner circle within Baylor that just don't get what it takes or don't want big time college football at a consistent level. If I was McLane and other major contributors I would personally feel high jacked at where we've come in the last two years. Looking back yesterday across that river and thinking what really should have been happening on that field and what I saw I know we felt high jacked. At some point when is enough - enough.
Nailed it. The irony is some people will question your love of Baylor. While I can see you love Baylor more than most and one can only take so much disappointment before you just can't take it any more.

The one thing that gives me hope is that despite our idiot decision makers of Baylor's unelected leadership, we are still the only D1 Non-Catholic Christian School in the Nation. There are hundreds of state supported public schools. That one difference if used to our advantage, can pull us through the other side. Baylor is different. That difference after the negative hate dust settles will allow us to attract kids who want more than a being at just another state school. I just hope we find the right guy to push that fact and turn us around before we get kicked out of our P5 league - if that happens, we become no different than Liberty.
The other 27 or 28 say hello. If you meant P5 instead, there are still at least three -- Duke, Wake Forest and TCU.
la1037
Nguyen One Soon said:

la1037 said:

Stretch said:

UMy wife and I was there. Could not have been more than 25,000. We were there for a full house for the Liberty game. Saw enough football in my life to know when I'm watching bad football and the rest of the season we have our season tickets to friends until today's game when we decide one more time. After the game was over it was the first time I felt no emotion after a game since Morris era. It was like deja vu all over again. We made the walk toward Ferrell parking and stopped at the practice field. My wife and I turned around and looked in amazement of our surroundings. Although we've made that walk many times we had taken it for granted an incredible stadium, indoor practice facility, practice field that looks like it's never had a cleat on it, and the athletic student weight training coaches offices tutorial building and a nutritional center and wondered what the hell. It was a very humbling and empty feeling. We looked at each other and agreed it was our last walk for football. 40 years and I told her I've had enough of the green and gold enema. We are Not going to go thru another emotional "Process Trusting Again". To all on this board you have your agendas as I have my own. Yesterday's walk more than woke us up that in those 40 years as ticket holders the process never changed. Baylor football is and has always been about mediocrity and hope more than a determination to play successful big time football . There's a certain inner circle within Baylor that just don't get what it takes or don't want big time college football at a consistent level. If I was McLane and other major contributors I would personally feel high jacked at where we've come in the last two years. Looking back yesterday across that river and thinking what really should have been happening on that field and what I saw I know we felt high jacked. At some point when is enough - enough.

The other 27 or 28 say hello. If you meant P5 instead, there are still at least three -- Duke, Wake Forest and TCU.
I meant P5 but many of the 28 others you claim are no longer associated with a Christian world view. TCU for example is no longer a school who emphasizes a Christian view. Duke and Wake Forest are even farther removed from Christianity than TCU. Find anything about being "Christian" on their web sites. TCU is not even Texas "Christian University anymore... its just TCU. Like Kentucky Fried Chicken is now KFC because they want to avoid the word "Fried", TCU wants to avoid the word "Christian".

This is straight from TCU web site... No mention of Christ or Christian but "values-centered" instead.

Our Mission
To educate individuals to think and act as ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community.

Our Vision
To be a world-class, values-centered university.

In contrast Baylor is unapologetically a Christian School. Here is our posted mission statement

The mission of Baylor University is to educate men and women for worldwide leadership and service by integrating academic excellence and Christian commitment within a caring community.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. There is countless number of mentions of Christ on Baylor's web site.

I could not find even one single reference to Christ or Christian Values on Duke or Wake Forest web site (I admittedly just glanced at it). The Christian views of those schools of the past are sadly long gone.

For the record, I am not making this as a moral judgment against them. I am simply stating that Baylor's unique Christian education is a huge point of differentiation in a world of hundreds of Liberal private and State Schools as it pertains to recruiting.

JumboShrimper
Thank you for the explanation on why they are Fake Christian U.
PartyBear
Recruits are signing with places that have a cool image and win. Which was our image. Not one is signing to play at a school because they think it is progressive or conservative.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.