Football
Sponsored by

Sources saying Jersey leveraged Colts interview for raise

20,968 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MilliVanilli
BUBear24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Crash posts quite a bit of good stuff over on the other side, but he's been here before, long before you.
Gust Avrakotos
BUBear24 said:

Crash posts quite a bit of good stuff over on the other side, but he's been here before, long before you.
Hmmm....long before me huh? Wow!

Just how long?
Gust Avrakotos
Crash Davis said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

I haven't seen you over here....other than this thread.

Is that a coincidence? Maybe I just missed you posting.
I post on this board on occasion. This thread is one of those occasions.
Yes, I recognize why you are posting in this specific thread. It's the others I am unclear on.
Ludwig von Missi
Gust Avrakotos said:

Crash Davis said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

I haven't seen you over here....other than this thread.

Is that a coincidence? Maybe I just missed you posting.
I post on this board on occasion. This thread is one of those occasions.
Yes, I recognize why you are posting in this specific thread. It's the others I am unclear on.
The others? Is this a Lost reference?
Krieg
Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

This is difficult to believe without more information.

On a separate note, if Rhule left, who would Baylor hire, from a realistic standpoint, and would whoever they hired have a better resume than Rhule?

Mack Brown and Les Miles say hi.

I mean seriously, easy question.

Mack Brown and Les Miles are the best options? That's rough.

A dozen 10 win seasons, P5 championships, and a national title. Man, I'm so glad we don't have a guy with that resume.
la1037
Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

On a separate note, if Rhule left, who would Baylor hire, from a realistic standpoint, and would whoever they hired have a better resume than Rhule?

I know you are mostly joking so no offense to you but both would have won at least 4 games this year. Both have won National Championships. Both have won more P5 games than Rhule will ever win.

OR

Phillip Montgomery
Bob Stoops
Major Applewhite
Dino Babers
Chad Morris (BU blew their chance here)
Captain Kangaroo
Bruiser

Any of the above win more games than Rhule. The "No One Else is Out There" argument is false and a loser mentality.
"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
Ludwig von Missi
Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

A dozen 10 win seasons, P5 championships, and a national title. Man, I'm so glad we don't have a guy with that resume.
Mack is one of the top 10 coaches of his generation, but I would take Rhule over him at this point in time.

Maybe Rhule pans out, maybe not. But he has more upside than a 66 year old coach that hasn't had to bust it recruiting at a non blue blood in over 20 years. Also, Mack has a knack for 1 win first seasons and we really can't afford another one of those
Krieg
Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Mack is one of the top 10 coaches of his generation, but I would take Rhule over him at this point in time.

Maybe Rhule pans out, maybe not. But he has more upside than a 66 year old coach that hasn't had to bust it recruiting at a non blue blood in over 20 years. Also, Mack has a knack for 1 win first seasons and we really can't afford another one of those

His question was, had Rhule left, who could we have possibly gotten with a resume as good as Rhule's. Mack qualifies (as does Miles) objectively. That was my point.

As for Rhule, if he wants out already he doesn't really have an upside. He wins at all and he'll leave. He loses that's obviously bad. He's a short term play just like a 66 year old hire.
xiledinok
Les Miles is not coming to Baylor. He'll fit like Dave Roberts and offend people to a point they'll cry over it with his straight forward attitude.
Ludwig von Missi
Krieg said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

His question was, had Rhule left, who could we have possibly gotten with a resume as good as Rhule's. Mack qualifies (as does Miles) objectively. That was my point.

As for Rhule, if he wants out already he doesn't really have an upside. He wins at all and he'll leave. He loses that's obviously bad. He's a short term play just like a 66 year old hire.
Understood...I guess I took the resume question as more of "who has better resume that would be beneficial and/or realistic for us."

Personally, I don't think Rhule wants out. If the total was set at 3.5 years I would take the over.
Dia del DougO
Gust Avrakotos said:

Since we are on the topic of salary...let's go ahead and take this to the next level.

You all recall the intriguing post that I put up about the collective salaries of Jersey and his staff.

We all pretty much agreed that 7.625M was the number that we paid for 1 win last year.

Let's see if we can guess how much that number just went up in the last 2 weeks because of the Colts interview.

Most of the time that a HC gets a raise, he makes sure that his staff gets something too. Briles was really good at that.

So lets say that Jersey got a half mil raise per season and the rest of the salaries went up by 10% (min).

That's 8.49M that we paid for our win over Kansas last year. That has to be (by far) the worst return on investment in the history of college football. Bar none!

Pure insanity

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dungeon Athletics
Dia del DougO said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

If it makes you feel better to think that I have no sources.....by all means...think it.

My guys say Jersey got a raise...and the Colts fiasco is what did it.

Gust
Are these the same sources that told you that nobody has been critical of the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff?
No, different sources. These are the ones that told him Barry Alvarez would make sure Ohio St. gets in the playoffs.
ColomboLQ
Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Understood...I guess I took the resume question as more of "who has better resume that would be beneficial and/or realistic for us."

Personally, I don't think Rhule wants out. If the total was set at 3.5 years I would take the over.
Question for you, and I don't mean this to sound antagonistic in any way because I do not mean it as such. Do you think if Rhule (by some chance) has a 8-10 win season in year 3, he will stay at BU? Because from what I've seen, I do not think so.
D. C. Bear
ColomboLQ said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Question for you, and I don't mean this to sound antagonistic in any way because I do not mean it as such. Do you think if Rhule (by some chance) has a 8-10 win season in year 3, he will stay at BU? Because from what I've seen, I do not think so.
There are a lot of factors that would go in to that decision, many of which we can't predict right now. If Rhule wins eight games in year three, what makes you think he'd have any offers he couldn't refuse? In the college game, there are not many jobs that are better at this point. Would they be open? Would they want him and his style? As for the NFL, there are 32 teams, many of which won't be changing coaches.
Ludwig von Missi
ColomboLQ said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

I would say that largely depends on what opportunities present themselves. I don't think he wants to get out of Waco Tommy Tubberville style...Cincinnati? Sure, sounds good, just get me the **** out of Lubbock.

If Penn State or an NFL team came calling, yes, there is a very good chance he would be gone. I'm sure there are several other college jobs he covets that you could throw in there as well. But timing is everything when it comes to a coaching searches, and I think the odds are in favor of him not getting an offer from one of his dream landing spots.
Krieg
Crash Davis said:

ColomboLQ said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

I would say that largely depends on what opportunities present themselves. I don't think he wants to get out of Waco Tommy Tubberville style...Cincinnati? Sure, sounds good, just get me the **** out of Lubbock.

If Penn State or an NFL team came calling, yes, there is a very good chance he would be gone. I'm sure there are several other college jobs he covets that you could throw in there as well. But timing is everything when it comes to a coaching searches, and I think the odds are in favor of him not getting an offer from one of his dream landing spots.

That's fair and I hope you're right if he's a championship-level coach for us. If he isn't I just hope he's gone one way or another and don't particularly care how. Interviewing after a really bad first year is concerning for me, though. Of course he might be less likely to want to leave if he's actually having success at Baylor.
OsoCoreyell
Well, I did some digging because this thread intrigued me. All of the sources I spoke with (I'll admit it was only 3, but 3 that I think would know) said "Huh?" Well, two said "huh?" and one said "Ha!"

UniquelyUrsine
Gust Avrakotos said:

My sources are excellent.
Gust Avrakotos
My sources are now telling me that 7.625M is light and the number is higher.

Forget the recent raise.....that's news in of itself.

Worst ROI in the history of college football from a monetary standpoint.

Gust
Krieg
Gust Avrakotos said:

Worst ROI in the history of college football from a monetary standpoint.*

Gust

*of teams that actually won at least one game. 0-X teams have an infinitely worse return.

Fify
Gust Avrakotos
Krieg said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Gust

*of teams that actually won at least one game. 0-X teams have an infinitely worse return.

Fify

Not if they paid a lower cost per loss.
Gust Avrakotos
I'd take les miles in a heartbeat. He'd have us winning next season. The problem with him is we would live in the Hornibrook era throughout his tenure.
Friscobear
Gust Avrakotos said:

Krieg said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Gust

Fify

Lower cost per loss does not equate to a better ROI.
Gust Avrakotos
Friscobear said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Krieg said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Gust

Fify

Lower cost per loss does not equate to a better ROI.

Frisco, the hard freeze knocked out one of my fire bowls on my pool. Do those things have a temperature threshold?
bularry
xiledinok said:

Les Miles is not coming to Baylor. He'll fit like Dave Roberts and offend people to a point they'll cry over it with his straight forward attitude.
he's a simpleton. he isn't "straight forward" he is just very, very base. but hey, he was a pretty good coach of an nfl team in Baton Rouge
bularry
Krieg said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

This is just stupid. Sure, some retreads are available. only an idiot would endorse that as a serious opinion in this discussion.
Sicem1
Just the act of reading this thread has left me dumber than before I clicked on it. Thank god message board posters don't run Athletics Departments.
PartyBear
bularry said:

Krieg said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

This is just stupid. Sure, some retreads are available. only an idiot would endorse that as a serious opinion in this discussion.
I havent read all of this but I think he is saying if Rhule bolted for the Colts this weekend, who with a good track record is realistic this week. I dont think he is advocating Mack Brown or Les Miles in any other situation than one that is an emergency due to the timing.
LIB,MR BEARS
Folks gripe about Rhule not running B12 Offense while others want Miles.

This is one crazy board!
Gust Avrakotos
LIB,MR BEARS said:

This is one crazy board!
Ummmm....no. Folks gripe about 1-11 and losing to Liberty.

No way in hell Miles would have lost to Liberty with that amount of talent coming off a bowl win.

But we all know he is a better coach than Jersey.
Stranger
Gust Avrakotos said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

This is one crazy board!
Ummmm....no. Folks gripe about 1-11 and losing to Liberty.

No way in hell Miles would have lost to Liberty with that amount of talent coming off a bowl win.

But we all know he is a better coach than Jersey.

Hell, half of the posters on this here board are better coaches than jersey.
I'm a Bearbacker
Krieg
bularry said:

Krieg said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Read, man. Who would you hire TODAY if we had to hire someone? That was the question. Most employed guys aren't available so you pretty much have to go the unemployed route. Those 2 would have us respectable and stable, which would be a huge improvement over the last two seasons and losing a coach in January, which was his hypothetical.

Only an idiot would call out a post without reading the context of said post...
Krieg
PartyBear said:

bularry said:

Krieg said:

Crash Davis said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Krieg said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

I havent read all of this but I think he is saying if Rhule bolted for the Colts this weekend, who with a good track record is realistic this week. I dont think he is advocating Mack Brown or Les Miles in any other situation than one that is an emergency due to the timing.

Thank you! Someone can read!
Pale Rider
Sicem1 said:

Just the act of reading this thread has left me dumber than before I clicked on it. Thank god message board posters don't run Athletics Departments.

Star worthy.
Bro
Sicem1 said:

Dumber than before? Man, that's gotta be really, really dumb.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.