Football
Sponsored by

Out of conference scheduling

15,298 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by xiledinok
xiledinok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Are any of you limp-wrister posters able to conceive the respect and admiration we could have garnered had we scheduled at least 1 storied program and beaten the piss out of them? Anybody?

Art had us rolling and while he could not inject enough discipline to go undefeated, we would not have had to hang our heads when we boasted of rolling up 70 points on patsies.
Your mindset is still perplexing to me. We lose one game to Oklahoma State in Stillwater and another game to West Virginia in Morgantown, WV. and were still conference champions. Does not matter if we play Texas State at our house or Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Most people outside of Baylor will not care or even bother to set their DVR to record. Baylor has a very tough road ahead and I just hope they can find a way to compete. We shall see what happens. Once again, it takes us three or four games to score seventy points. It is what it is.

Stick to your idol worshipping face of rape trolling. You are clueless. You should stick to being the mayor of the laundry mat district.
You must have stayed up all night believing Art got us in the playoff and that was why ESPN invited him on the show on that Sunday morning.
Loaded4Bear
xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Are any of you limp-wrister posters able to conceive the respect and admiration we could have garnered had we scheduled at least 1 storied program and beaten the piss out of them? Anybody?

Art had us rolling and while he could not inject enough discipline to go undefeated, we would not have had to hang our heads when we boasted of rolling up 70 points on patsies.
Your mindset is still perplexing to me. We lose one game to Oklahoma State in Stillwater and another game to West Virginia in Morgantown, WV. and were still conference champions. Does not matter if we play Texas State at our house or Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Most people outside of Baylor will not care or even bother to set their DVR to record. Baylor has a very tough road ahead and I just hope they can find a way to compete. We shall see what happens. Once again, it takes us three or four games to score seventy points. It is what it is.

Stick to your idol worshipping face of rape trolling. You are clueless. You should stick to being the mayor of the laundry mat district.
You must have stayed up all night believing Art got us in the playoff and that was why ESPN invited him on the show on that Sunday morning.

Why must you and a handful of others turn every single thread into being about rape or Art Briles?

We did not get into the first college football playoff because Wisconsin laid down in the Big 10 Championship Game and got hammered 59-0.

You are beginning to sound more and more like that MilliVanilli poster.
"It it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer!"
Thee University
Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Of course it is perplexing for you and your type. You seek the path of least resistance and then crow like you are Alabama or Ohio State.

We won 1 conference championship and tied for another one. With TCU.

Nobody sets their DVR because we were labeled as pretenders. Few programs or fans respected us outside the state of Texas because of our weak scheduling scheme.

We scheduled like Ian looked!!!!!!

Maybe we won't have to score 50,60 or 70 to win in the future with a real defense, real special teams and REAL discipline.
xiledinok
Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

We did not get into the playoff because Wisconsin laid down in the Big 10 Championship Game and got hammered 59-0.

Rape trolling? Hmmmm. You are beginning to sound more and more like that MilliVanilli poster.

I would not have thought the mayor of the laundry mat district would know that Briles and company were clueless about how the business side of scheduling worked.

We didn't get in the playoff because we blew off the CFP owner when they asked the teams to schedule better.
They weren't rewarding those who took it upon themselves to ignore the owner. It doesn't work that way.
BUbearinARK
Im going to go exercise my wrists so I can post better and we can have a better schedule.

Other than that I did despise our previous OOC schedule. Win or loose get a series with one decent program and one traditional power at least. By then no one wanted us on their schedule to avoid embarassment so granted, it wasn't a simple task.

Yes, definitely some discipline issues. But also some s*****y turn of events and mental mistakes as in the OSU game after

I still refuse to post with my nads, tho. Thats just weird. /s
Loaded4Bear
xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

We did not get into the playoff because Wisconsin laid down in the Big 10 Championship Game and got hammered 59-0.

Rape trolling? Hmmmm. You are beginning to sound more and more like that MilliVanilli poster.

I would not have thought the mayor of the laundry mat district would know that Briles and company were clueless about how the business side of scheduling worked.

We didn't get in the playoff because we blew off the CFP owner when they asked the teams to schedule better.
They weren't rewarding those who took it upon themselves to ignore the owner. It doesn't work that way.

Alabama scheduled Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer last season. They didn't even win their own conference.

It is not scheduling that gets you into the College Football Playoff. It is winning football games.
xiledinok
Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Alabama scheduled Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer last season. They didn't even win their own conference.

It is not scheduling that gets you into the College Football Playoff. It is winning football games.

Does Alabama have a history of poor scheduling? I think Alabama has built up credibility. The committee got it right. They got it right with Ohio State. Monroe or Louisiana Directional doesn't build credibility.
CHP Bear
Thee University said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Of course it is perplexing for you and your type. You seek the path of least resistance and then crow like you are Alabama or Ohio State.

We won 1 conference championship and tied for another one. With TCU.

Nobody sets their DVR because we were labeled as pretenders. Few programs or fans respected us outside the state of Texas because of our weak scheduling scheme.

We scheduled like Ian looked!!!!!!

Maybe we won't have to score 50,60 or 70 to win in the future with a real defense, real special teams and REAL discipline.
"And with an real defense, real special teams and REAL discipline", we could still lose 3-0. "We won 1 conference championship and tied for another one. With TCU." Your glass is definitely half empty. Few programs or fans respected us outside the state of Texas because of our weak scheduling scheme. I see it a different way. We looked bad outside the state of Texas because we were "Scrubby Baylor". Translation, no matter how we couldn't win. Talked with many friends around the country who wouldn't give BU the time of day. After the Washington game, started to get calls re: great offense and the enjoyment of watching the game. BU was picking up steam against the headwinds. Also, some were calling me re: over-and-under bets. Told them to take the over and let it ride. For both league and non-league games. Received many THXs. No they are off the board. Finally, as I digested this post, I can't help but feel there are those who believe perfection should rule the day. Well guess what? Perfection will never be good enough with perfectionists. Case in point 3-0.
Loaded4Bear
xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Does Alabama have a history of poor scheduling? I think Alabama has built up credibility. The committee got it right. They got it right with Ohio State. Monroe or Louisiana Directional doesn't build credibility.
Yes, Alabama has a history of poor scheduling. This season they play Arkansas State, Louisiana- Lafayette(Louisiana Directional as you call them), and The Citadel. Yes, The Citadel.
xiledinok
Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Yes, Alabama has a history of poor scheduling. This season they play Arkansas State, Louisiana- Lafayette(Louisiana Directional as you call them), and The Citadel. Yes, The Citadel.

So, you don't think Alabama deserves to be in the playoff? They had defensive backups drafted while the Big 12 had zero defensive draft picks until the 3rd round. Wouldn't they be the consensus favorite to win the Big 12 this season?

Baylor and others have to do more with scheduling. It's a beauty contest. You best follow the wise advice of the CFP owners. When they want Baylor to schedule better, they ll mean it.
Loaded4Bear
xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

So, you don't think Alabama deserves to be in the playoff? They had defensive backups drafted while the Big 12 had zero defensive draft picks until the 3rd round. Wouldn't they be the consensus favorite to win the Big 12 this season?

Baylor and others have to do more with scheduling. It's a beauty contest. You best follow the wise advice of the CFP owners. When they want Baylor to schedule better, they ll mean it.
Will Alabama be kept out of the playoff with even marginal wins over Arkansas State, "Louisiana Directional" , and The Citadel? Absolutely not. What do you think? This is not a trick question. A simple yes or no will do. You can't have it both ways.
Aberzombie1892
Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Alabama had FSU, which was a better OOC opponent than anything during Briles big 5 year run (2011-2015), and, in addition, Fresno State was a better opponent than anything Baylor had during the same period other than 2011 G5 TCU. As a result, technically, Alabama's 2017 OOC lineup was tougher than anything Baylor has seen in years - since about 2008.

Thee's point appears to be that as great as it was that Baylor won 50+ games over 5 years, good wins in the regular season could have set Baylor up for a higher ranking entering bowl season and more recognition which would have led to better bowls and opponents than 2011 Washington (6 loss), 2012 UCLA (5 loss), 2013 UCF (CFP - 1 loss), 2014 Michigan State (CFP - 1 loss), 2015 UNC (3 loss) etc.
xiledinok
Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Will Alabama be kept out of the playoff with even marginal wins over Arkansas State, "Louisiana Directional" , and The Citadel? Absolutely not. What do you think? This is not a trick question. A simple yes or no will do. You can't have it both ways.

Alabama is getting in with one loss. They have the most talent and the playoff is about trying to sell the matchups and teams as the best.
It helps the SEC a tough league. You can see it's tough on draft night.

Marginal wins? You know they ll win convincingly. Of course, they won't be celebrating those wins.
Texasjeremy
ALABAMA NON-P5 GAMES

2017 - Colorado State, Fresno State, Mercer (FCS)
2016 - Kent State, Western Kentucky, Tennessee-Chattanooga (FCS)
2015 - Louisiana-Monroe, Middle Tennessee, Charleston Southern (FCS)
2014 - Florida Atlantic, Southern Miss, Western Carolina (FCS)
2013 - Colorado State, Georgia State, Tennessee-Chattanooga (FCS)
2012 - Florida Atlantic, Western Kentucky, Western Carolina (FCS)
2011 - Kent State, North Texas, Georgia Southern (FCS)
2010 - San Jose State, Georgia State (FCS)
2009 - Florida International, North Texas, Tennessee-Chattanooga (FCS)
2008 - Arkansas State, Tulane, Western Kentucky
2007 - Houston, Louisiana-Monroe, Western Carolina (FCS)
2006 - Florida International, Hawaii, Louisiana-Monroe
2005 - Middle Tennessee, Southern Miss, Utah State
2004 - Southern Miss, Utah State, Western Carolina (FCS)
2003 - Hawaii, Northern Illinois, South Florida, Southern Miss
2002 - Hawaii, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Southern Miss
CorsicanaBear
CorsicanaBear
Looks remarkably similar to our non conference scheduling. They play one less conference game and stick in a P5 opponent.
Illigitimus non carborundum
NoBSU
Texasjeremy said:

ALABAMA NON-CONF GAMES

2017 - Colorado State, Fresno State, Mercer (FCS) FLORIDA STATE
2016 - Kent State, Western Kentucky, Tennessee-Chattanooga (FCS) USC
2015 - Louisiana-Monroe, Middle Tennessee, Charleston Southern (FCS) WISCONSIN
2014 - Florida Atlantic, Southern Miss, Western Carolina (FCS) WEST VIRGINIA
2013 - Colorado State, Georgia State, Tennessee-Chattanooga (FCS) VIRGINIA TECH
2012 - Florida Atlantic, Western Kentucky, Western Carolina (FCS) MICHIGAN
2011 - Kent State, North Texas, Georgia Southern (FCS) PENN STATE
2010 - San Jose State, Georgia State (FCS) PENN STATE

FIFY
RioRata
CorsicanaBear said:

Looks remarkably similar to our non conference scheduling. They play one less conference game and stick in a P5 opponent.

You aren't supposed to point that out.

Signed,
Mike Slive.
Aberzombie1892
CorsicanaBear said:

A couple of things:

1. 9 conference games versus OOC P5 games - Outside of the TV partners, no one, including the CFP Committee, cares if a conference chooses to play 9 conference games instead of 8, while, in contrast, none of the 16 teams that have made the CFP were able to do so without playing a P5 OOC and the same can be said about the 6 teams that played for a BCS title during 2011-2013.

2. The impact of no CCG - The Big 12 did not have a conference title game during the 2011-2016 period unlike every other P5, and, as a result, the Big 12 champion, controlling for its regular season OOC opponent, would almost always have a weaker schedule/resume than another P5 champion due to missing out on built in ranked opponent at the end of the season. Because of that additional weakness, it was paramount that any Big 12 team that was serious about competing for anything meaningful in the postseason schedule for that OOC, and, even if Baylor's future schedules for that period were all already completed in 2011, it had plenty of opportunities to cancel games against G5s and replace them with P5s.

The takeaway: Baylor did not get bonus points for playing a 9 conference game schedule although it could have received bonus points for playing a P5 OOC, and, in addition, Baylor's big 5 year run had a legacy of OOC wins only over 2011 Washington, 2012 UCLA, and 2015 ranked UNC. In regard to the latter, here are the OOC P5 wins for a program that arrived in 2010 but won 50+ games during the same 2011-2015 seasons ("Ranked" meaning ranked in final AP poll):

2011 ranked Georgia
2012 TCU
2013 ranked Stanford
2014 ranked Baylor
2015 ranked Oregon

What's more impressive and/or nationally relevant? Above or below?

2011 Washington
2012 UCLA
2015 ranked UNC
Cisgendered Bear
Bama plays Louisville this year as their 9th P5 game along with three JUCOs.

Louisville is a border-line bowl team this year.

I know OOC teams are scheduled years in advance, but this year's Bama schedule is very Baylor-esk.
xiledinok
NoBSU said:

Texasjeremy said:

ALABAMA NON-CONF GAMES

FIFY
Left out the traditional teams that actually wear down opponents, cause injuries and other forms of attrition.
NoBSU
xiledinok said:

NoBSU said:

Texasjeremy said:

ALABAMA NON-CONF GAMES

FIFY
Left out the traditional teams that actually wear down opponents, cause injuries and other forms of attrition.
Plus back a few years ago they like to count our extra conference game twice. It counts as that non-conf P5 game and the conference championship game.
xiledinok
NoBSU said:

xiledinok said:

NoBSU said:

Texasjeremy said:

ALABAMA NON-CONF GAMES

FIFY
Plus back a few years ago they like to count our extra conference game twice. It counts as that non-conf P5 game and the conference championship game.
It would figure a guy who would take $15 million and claim he was framed under very public circumstances and a ribbon clerk athletic director would have their people defending our schedule by bringing up Alabama. Alabama also plays the toughest conference schedule and it is obvious if you watch the NFL draft.
Alabama earned that respect in post season and in the regular season. Heck, their coach wants Power 5 only to play Power 5. Let Houston and Memphis types battle for the light weight championships.
Thee University
Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Alabama gets a kitchen pass. They've won more National Championships than we have conference titles.

Do you delusional slaps really compare our program to Alabama?

Winning football games is true. For programs like Baylor, TCU and other .500 programs you need to impress somebody with more than just track meet offense that still manages to lose a game or two.
CorsicanaBear
1-11 was certainly more impressive.
xiledinok
It is a beauty pageant.
The former regime and the ribbon clerk were all about getting us a game to played during the middle of the night in Australia while they should have been signing up some competition for prime time tv at AT&T in Arlington.
Instead, Cal signed up Hawaii and we appeared to everyone important to be jerking around ESPN, the guys who own all the bowls and playoff.
Thus, we endured Bear's game day skit to tell the world we defined limp wristed scheduling and dodging competition.
Last season revealed what was left on defense was 1-11. The tankers and tweeters left us a burned up house with social media memories.

Bama would have been the last team I picked to bring up a schedule. They have been playing a marquee match for about 15 years out of conference. Could have been Baylor v Alabama. Instead we got Lamar (a team that had previously played NAIA Bacone College).
Timbear
And Rhule, making $4M, had nothing to do with 1-11? Snow, with a defense not even designed to be able to be executed successfully in year one (stupid and hard headed) deserves no blame?
xiledinok
Timbear said:

And Rhule, making $4M, had nothing to do with 1-11? Snow, with a defense not even designed to be able to be executed successfully in year one (stupid and hard headed) deserves no blame?

Please, that is a complex defense. You have to be able to read it too. It is definitely an adult defense. Not points per possession nonsense.
Gil knew Baylor played very short corners. It wasn't hard to implement a game plan for Gil against Baylor. Confusion and little talent was a disaster.
Timbear, where was all this badass talent you claim we returned? We had safeties running 4.8 40s. It's so unbelievable, it is almost funny because it is so sickening.
Thee University
Timbear said:

He obviously had something to do with it.

If we don't see major improvements this season i'll be very disappointed.
xiledinok
It best all improve.
I hope the new athletic director gets a few more marquee games by adding a Power 5
The idea do strip the down the program to the studs was a risky way but most effective to cleanhouse.
CHP Bear
xiledinok said:

It best all improve.
I hope the new athletic director gets a few more marquee games by adding a Power 5
The idea do strip the down the program to the studs was a risky way but most effective to cleanhouse.
If we don't go bowling this year it won't be hard to schedule the Alabama's of the world. They'll salivate scheduling us.
xiledinok
CHP Bear said:

xiledinok said:

It best all improve.
If we don't go bowling this year it won't be hard to schedule the Alabama's of the world. They'll salivate scheduling us.
They were salivating to play us in Texas. You think they would have ran away from Baylor and missed out on scheduling another game in the state of Texas?
We could have been the new Oregon for tv but instead we were trying to schedule games 12 times zones away during the middle of the night. Our ribbon clerk was not very innovative to say the least.
CorsicanaBear
No giving up home games to play anybody in Dallas or Houston. In fact, bring Texas Tech back to home and home. No single game away deals with P5 schools either. We should be willing to go anywhere to play at anybody's house, but they need to come to our house to play too.
Aberzombie1892
CHP Bear said:

xiledinok said:

It best all improve.
Alabama only plays one P5 OOC per year, and, aside from Duke in 2018 (Chick-Fil-A Kickoff*), it schedules historically good teams that have notably large fanbases for that slot - FSU 2017, USC 2016, Wisconsin 2015, WVU 2014, VaTech 2013, Michigan 2012, Penn State 2011, Penn State 2010, VaTech 2009, and Clemson 2008, so, assuming that Alabama continues that trend beyond the Duke game, Alabama is not interested in scheduling Baylor because Baylor is neither historically good nor has a large fanbase.

*Alabama does not have as much direct input on its opponent in the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff as it would in other neutral site matchups, and, further, the selection of Duke as the opponent stands out as all of the other teams selected for the Kickoff have been bigger/more successful programs.
AustinCory
RioRata said:

BUBear24 said:

SFLBear said:

From our opponents perspective, how does playing Baylor help them? Using only last year as a gauge, playing Baylor helps my SOS as much as playing SMU. Until we can get out of this losing funk and get back to our winning ways, I find it difficult to have a strong OoC schedule.

I admit, I don't know how it really works but ADs are trying to position their school to be in the playoff - nothing else. I don't see BU on someone's schedule helping them with that cause...today.

I don't see our OOC scheduling changing much and it isn't because we don't want to play with anyone else. They simply won't want to play with us.

I think from opponents perspective it's still a P5.
The TCU/Minn game that helped keep us out of playoff comes to mind. Minn wasn't a world beater but by being very competitive and having a decent season it kept us and TcU flipped in the rankings all year.

You have one ****ty year, but considering the national perspective is Baylor being on the up and up and giving Rhule a huge benefit of the doubt for last year helps as well. We, as Baylor fans rightfully so examined last year under a very strong microscope. The National examination was one where ever story started with basically "a program still coming over a vicious sexual scandal/etc/etc". Now if next year is God awful too, yes it'll start the whole Baylor in the basement mentality we were used too.

An easy P5 win for the opponent at that.
Yep. You'd think there'd be dozens of P5s calling to play us to fill their P5 OOC quota.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.