Football
Sponsored by

Out of conference scheduling

15,195 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by xiledinok
AustinCory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BUBear24 said:

BYU 2020/2021
Utah 2022/2023
Oregon 2027/2028

I'm pretty sure they're going to have to replace someone next year because of the Big12 bylaw that passed making every team play a P5 opponent. We don't have one right now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_Bears_football#Future_Non-Conference_Opponents
NoBSU
Did we lose a bet with Louisiana Tech or is this part of Mulkey's contract?
Beartrack
They get that better than you do probably... they do not believe you build champions avoiding stout competition. We need nothing less than Div 1 teams on our schedule. A respectable out of conference victory would have put us in the Championship picture a few years back possibly
Originally BearTracks 🐻 on BF
Thee University
Beartrack said:

A respectable out of conference victory would have put us in the Championship picture a few years back possibly
Right you are sir!

We were Walmart Shoppers under Briles/McCaw.
CorsicanaBear
Perhaps the current staff should win a few games before we concern ourselves with who they are playing.

Being concerned that CAB was not playing the best quality opposition was a rich folks problem (like having the smallest yacht at the yacht club). We don't have those kinds of problems anymore because we are now pity poor.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Thee University
CorsicanaBear said:

Perhaps the current staff should win a few games before we concern ourselves with who they are playing.

Being concerned that CAB was not playing the best quality opposition was a rich folks problem (like having the smallest yacht at the yacht club). We don't have those kinds of problems anymore because we are now pity poor.

Wrong. We are scheduling years in advance and Ian & Art left their Tampons strewn about Waco.

To get better, to improve on our new schemes, to gain confidence, to build a solid resume, to attract truely competitive recruits and to impress someone outside the state of Texas we need to schedule and play the best.

Instead of Tampons let's put some lead in our pencils!
REX
Thee University said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Wrong. We are scheduling years in advance and Ian & Art left their Tampons strewn about Waco.

To get better, to improve on our new schemes, to gain confidence, to build a solid resume, to attract truely competitive recruits and to impress someone outside the state of Texas we need to schedule and play the best.

Liberty and UTsa say hi
xiledinok
REX said:

Thee University said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Liberty and UTsa say hi

Rex, enjoy playing for nothing this year. The CFP says hello.
Thee University
REX said:

Thee University said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Liberty and UTsa say hi
Are you associated with them in some way?

Tell them congrats on their wins last year. Impressive wins for both of them.
xiledinok
Thee University said:

REX said:

Thee University said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Liberty and UTsa say hi

No, his son is Baby Briles' right hand man. I was heartbroken that they skipped town on Lame Kiffin and won't be coming to Norman in the Fall with FAU.
They are Cougar High all day.

It's probably best. The FAU team wouldn't last long with the "mall fighters" in middle America.
BUbearinARK
xiledinok said:

Thee University said:

REX said:

Thee University said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Liberty and UTsa say hi

No, his son is Baby Briles' right hand man. I was heartbroken that they skipped town on Lame Kiffin and won't be coming to Norman in the Fall with FAU.
They are Cougar High all day.

It's probably best. The FAU team wouldn't last long with the "mall fighters" in middle America.
BaylorRocks
xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Are any of you limp-wrister posters able to conceive the respect and admiration we could have garnered had we scheduled at least 1 storied program and beaten the piss out of them? Anybody?

Art had us rolling and while he could not inject enough discipline to go undefeated, we would not have had to hang our heads when we boasted of rolling up 70 points on patsies.
Your mindset is still perplexing to me. We lose one game to Oklahoma State in Stillwater and another game to West Virginia in Morgantown, WV. and were still conference champions. Does not matter if we play Texas State at our house or Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Most people outside of Baylor will not care or even bother to set their DVR to record. Baylor has a very tough road ahead and I just hope they can find a way to compete. We shall see what happens. Once again, it takes us three or four games to score seventy points. It is what it is.

Stick to your idol worshipping face of rape trolling. You are clueless. You should stick to being the mayor of the laundry mat district.
You must have stayed up all night believing Art got us in the playoff and that was why ESPN invited him on the show on that Sunday morning.

We did not get into the playoff because Wisconsin laid down in the Big 10 Championship Game and got hammered 59-0.

Rape trolling? Hmmmm. You are beginning to sound more and more like that MilliVanilli poster.

I would not have thought the mayor of the laundry mat district would know that Briles and company were clueless about how the business side of scheduling worked.

We didn't get in the playoff because we blew off the CFP owner when they asked the teams to schedule better.
They weren't rewarding those who took it upon themselves to ignore the owner. It doesn't work that way.

Alabama scheduled Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer last season. They didn't even win their own conference.

It is not scheduling that gets you into the College Football Playoff. It is winning football games.

Does Alabama have a history of poor scheduling? I think Alabama has built up credibility. The committee got it right. They got it right with Ohio State. Monroe or Louisiana Directional doesn't build credibility.
geoman
Been following Baylor football since the late '60s and attended/graduated late70s/early '80s. I wasn't a fan of light schedule-scheming for the playoffs under the previous regime and its not what I'd like to see going forward under the current. For the empty 2025-26 non-cons, I'd love to see scheduling akin (not necessarily exactly but similar) to Baylor's 1985 non-conference opponents: Wyoming, #18 Georgia, and #3 USC; however, I'd prefer we not play back-to-back tough road games but lure one of the bigs to Waco for a home and away series. Part of the rationale is the belief that in six years Baylor will not be a gun-shy, timid bottom dweller. Another part is the upside of beating a team that is supposed to win is greater than the downside of losing to said team. Maybe I have too much residual USMC in my blood but real warriors have never thrived by picking on pansies.
DustyM
xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Loaded4Bear said:

Thee University said:

Are any of you limp-wrister posters able to conceive the respect and admiration we could have garnered had we scheduled at least 1 storied program and beaten the piss out of them? Anybody?

Art had us rolling and while he could not inject enough discipline to go undefeated, we would not have had to hang our heads when we boasted of rolling up 70 points on patsies.
Your mindset is still perplexing to me. We lose one game to Oklahoma State in Stillwater and another game to West Virginia in Morgantown, WV. and were still conference champions. Does not matter if we play Texas State at our house or Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Most people outside of Baylor will not care or even bother to set their DVR to record. Baylor has a very tough road ahead and I just hope they can find a way to compete. We shall see what happens. Once again, it takes us three or four games to score seventy points. It is what it is.

Stick to your idol worshipping face of rape trolling. You are clueless. You should stick to being the mayor of the laundry mat district.
You must have stayed up all night believing Art got us in the playoff and that was why ESPN invited him on the show on that Sunday morning.

We did not get into the playoff because Wisconsin laid down in the Big 10 Championship Game and got hammered 59-0.

Rape trolling? Hmmmm. You are beginning to sound more and more like that MilliVanilli poster.

I would not have thought the mayor of the laundry mat district would know that Briles and company were clueless about how the business side of scheduling worked.

We didn't get in the playoff because we blew off the CFP owner when they asked the teams to schedule better.
They weren't rewarding those who took it upon themselves to ignore the owner. It doesn't work that way.

Alabama scheduled Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer last season. They didn't even win their own conference.

It is not scheduling that gets you into the College Football Playoff. It is winning football games.

Does Alabama have a history of poor scheduling? I think Alabama has built up credibility. The committee got it right. They got it right with Ohio State. Monroe or Louisiana Directional doesn't build credibility.
Hmmmm
RioRata
geoman said:

Been following Baylor football since the late '60s and attended/graduated late70s/early '80s. I wasn't a fan of light schedule-scheming for the playoffs under the previous regime and its not what I'd like to see going forward under the current. For the empty 2025-26 non-cons, I'd love to see scheduling akin (not necessarily exactly but similar) to Baylor's 1985 non-conference opponents: Wyoming, #18 Georgia, and #3 USC; however, I'd prefer we not play back-to-back tough road games but lure one of the bigs to Waco for a home and away series. Part of the rationale is the belief that in six years Baylor will not be a gun-shy, timid bottom dweller. Another part is the upside of beating a team that is supposed to win is greater than the downside of losing to said team. Maybe I have too much residual USMC in my blood but real warriors have never thrived by picking on pansies.

I hear you. That USC series was a home-n-home and Georgia has never been to Waco. It would probably take a two for one or road and nutural site (Dallas, Houston or San Antonio) series to get that caliber of opponent to sign on the dotted line again. Times have changed.
ImwithBU
We are worried about beating those cupcakes that Briles/Ian scheduled. Most of you cant even say for certain we will beat them this year, that is what is so sad about htis coaching staff. Please dont compare Baylor to Bama. Bama has a reputation and respected that they earned by beating top programs every year. Is it their fault that Louisville is expected to be down this year. And please save all that 8 conference games vs 9. They still play 9 P5 teams and they dont have a Kansas (or Baylor for that point) on their schedule. Futhermore with the new playoffs system they play 10 most years.
NoBSU
ImwithBU said:

We are worried about beating those cupcakes that Briles/Ian scheduled. Most of you cant even say for certain we will beat them this year, that is what is so sad about htis coaching staff. Please dont compare Baylor to Bama. Bama has a reputation and respected that they earned by beating top programs every year. Is it their fault that Louisville is expected to be down this year. And please save all that 8 conference games vs 9. They still play 9 P5 teams and they dont have a Kansas (or Baylor for that point) on their schedule. Futhermore with the new playoffs system they play 10 most years.
Lol. So, you agree with Thee.
Thee University
geoman said:

Maybe I have too much residual USMC in my blood but real warriors have never thrived by picking on pansies.
Man are you on the wrong board. There are tons of weekend warriors on here that still, to this very day, believe that our Pansy Parade was absolutely the way to elitism. They crowed from the mountaintops when we would light up some poor schlock school looking for a paycheck.
xiledinok
Those vegetable medley football fanboys don't like the challenge of playing teams that improve their team in the non conference but can also lay an L on their team.
Loaded4Bear
xiledinok said:

Those vegetable medley football fanboys don't like the challenge of playing teams that improve their team in the non conference but can also lay an L on their team.

Like LIberty and UTSA?
"It it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer!"
xiledinok
Loaded4Bear said:

xiledinok said:

Like LIberty and UTSA?
No, that's veggie medley football. The entire country thought Briles took the easy path on playing non conference and most didn't like their Power 5 team having to work harder and sacrifice players early in the season.

BLR=Briles Last Resort. Two years later, they are the only ones not ready to move down the road. When is the NCAA going to come and ban some folks to finish off the issue and get the Baylor spat out of the public? No one is wanting to watch football this year and see Briles' Last Resort.
Surf Oso
Look: These days, the blue bloods aren't travelling to Waco, Ft Worth, Lubbock, Starkville, Stillwater, Pullman, Manhattan, West Lafayette, etc, etc unless they have to for conference games. USC visits Austin or Norman, not Waco these days. Additionally, these teams aren't asking you to travel there as they may get beat. At worse, they'll do 2 at home & one on the road (like BYU and USC coming up)

I've always said this for OOC: schedule home/away with regional foes each year: Rice, SMU, Tulane. Have one of those per year. Find some other MWC type to visit Waco: Wyoming, New Mexico, UTEP, etc once in awhile to visit Waco. At worse 2 in Waco while 1 there. Have home/away with the military academies. No one get slighted for that, and you can really promote at home (I still can't believe we lost to Army in Waco-- grr). Then do home/away with the P5 schools that give the alums a good trip and will return the favor: Northwestern, Arizona, UVA, Maryland, Illinois, Vandy, etc.

Someone got it with Duke, Utah, BYU and Oregon, but the Incarnate Words and ACUs should have been bought out the day our new AD signed his contract.

We can start with 2020 and 2021: Air Force has availability. Buy out ICW, and do a home/away with Air Force. So, 2020 is Ole Miss, LaTech and AF and 2021 is TxState, BYU and AF. Not bad!
Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap airfare
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere
I'm close to bodily harm
Timbear
I actually would feel better getting beat by better sounding teams.
BUbearinARK
Timbear said:

are you talking personally or about the team. No judgement here.
I’m an optimist!

And /S in case I missed it

TE
Matthew Klopfenstein 1 catch/5 yds
MrGolfguy
Timbear said:

Like Auburn?
Thee University
MrGolfguy said:

Timbear said:

Like Auburn?
We actually lead the series with Auburn 2-1-1 with our only loss being in the Gator Bowl way back in 1954.

This is a great move by Baylor in getting this game set up. All of the Briles Babies, afraid of teeing up competition, have to be curled up in a fetal ball underneath their beds wrapped up in a rainbow blankie.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
ImwithBU
Glad out new AD has a working phone. Now we have to hope we are actually good by then. If not you have to admit the trip to Auburn will be worth it. Better to lose to Auburn than Liberty
PartyBear
So we have gone from play off contender a couple years ago to now talking about who we would rather lose to. Just freakin awesome!
Thee University
PartyBear said:

So we have gone from play off contender a couple years ago to now talking about who we would rather lose to. Just freakin awesome!
No. Only losers like yourself talk about losing.

Play off contender? For what playoffs? Maybe if they created a playoff for the best at beating down sacrificial lamb patsies.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
PartyBear
I'm not talking about losing others are. Yes we were in playoff contention. It is ludicrous to argue it never happened when we all remember the era.
Thee University
PartyBear said:

I'm not talking about losing others are. Yes we were in playoff contention. It is ludicrous to argue it never happened when we all remember the era.
In a relatively weak B12 conference we lost to a 10-3 Oklahoma State team in 2013 when we were ranked #3 and they were #11. It was a 17-49 beatdown. I'm not sure how you classify that BU team as a playoff contender.

In another weak B12 conference we lost to a 7-6 West Virginia team in 2014 when we were ranked #4 and they were not ranked. Again, this was an embarrassing 27-41 enema.

I suppose if you chalk up our rousing non-conference wins over the following I can see how some wearing green & gold glasses along with yellow polyester pants might call us contenders.

2013 Resume Fluffers
  • Wofford (5-6 finish out of the Southern Conference losing to Gardner-Webb, Furman, Samford, Chattanooga & App State)
  • Buffalo (8-5 finish but they did get invited to the Idaho Potato bowl!!!!!!)
  • Louisiana Monroe (6-6 finish but they did squeak out a Battle on the Bayou win over Louisiana Lafayette)

2014 Resume Fluffers
  • SMU (1-11 finish after starting 0-10. Hapless UConn gave it up on the final weekend)
  • Northwestern State (6-6 finish with huge wins over Incarnate Word, Sam Houston and ACU)
  • Buffalo (5-6 finish but they were salty when playing in Amherst!)

Those lightweights went a combined 31-40 or .436 to give you and your type bragging rights in Sunday School the next morning while you sang of playoff contention. Somebody forgot to tell Oklahoma State and West Virginia because they dog-drilled us by a combined 90-44 score.

Contender?

Pretender!!!!
MrGolfguy
LOL, you think finishing #5 in the Playoff ranking (Top 4 make the Playoff) is not in Playoff contention. You can believe whatever you want to make yourself feel better but denying that BU was in Playoff contention in 2014 is ludicrous.
PartyBear
We were still in play off contention nonetheless despite losing to OSU and WV over those 2 years. Not to mention the XII title those years.
Thee University
ALL teams need a couple of disengaged, unbridled, dementia influenced optimists. Every program has them.

Thee University
The ONLY way Baylor was ever going to get in with that murderers row of non-conference giants was to win out.

BU 44
OSU & WVU 90

Not even close!

I threw up weekly listening to you guys prop up our Pansy Parade as the "smart" scheduling choice. You guys crowed every year about how we were going to go undefeated and slip in.

Mullet Man and Dana "Little Leach" Holgorsen beat the tar out of us before our colossal collapses on the big stage.

Lack of discipline. Plain & simple.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.