Football
Sponsored by

Smoak with a good interview with Rhule

9,419 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wwbear
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MilliVanilli said:

PartyBear said:

Milli he can can easily be 7-8 right now and 8-8 after this weekend (and that is not real good) but we are 3-12. That is not asking for too much at all with what we have considering at least who 7 of the games we have played thus far in the Rhule era have been against.
He has the talent to go 6-6 or 7-5 with good coaching, if he doesn't it's on the coaching barring catastrophic injuries.

I don't think we have a 7 win roster, but we have talent to beat Duke in Waco
ImwithBU
bularry said:

MilliVanilli said:

PartyBear said:

Milli he can can easily be 7-8 right now and 8-8 after this weekend (and that is not real good) but we are 3-12. That is not asking for too much at all with what we have considering at least who 7 of the games we have played thus far in the Rhule era have been against.
He has the talent to go 6-6 or 7-5 with good coaching, if he doesn't it's on the coaching barring catastrophic injuries.

I don't think we have a 7 win roster, but we have talent to beat Duke in Waco
Well Rhule said we have a 6 win roster. Any good coach can get you an extra one. key word being good coach. Rhule has done nothing to make me think he is a good coach. Outside of a 20th rank Navy team (at that time) this guy has never beat a ranked team. Problem for him is we play a lot of ranked and borderline ranked teams.
Dia del DougO
Bearish said:

Dia del DougO said:

RG3 didn't injure his knee running the ball, being run to death. He got hit behind the line of scrimmage, under pressure from a team that wasn't even very good...much like what's happening these days. We're lucky we haven't had a QB knocked out for a long period, as we did last year.

Nobody, other than maybe an oddball or two, was calling for Briles to be fired after two seasons. That's just total nonsense. We could all see the improvement taking place and optimism for Baylor football.

Yeah, he was injured on a designed QB option on a fourth down play on Northwestern State's 25 yard line because Art didn't want to kick a field goal - on our opening series for God's sake. Sorry, but if Rhule pulled that crap today with Charlie, everyone would be livid.
Yeah, and it's not like Rhule's quarterbacks aren't running downfield, even going out on long pass patterns.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
PEPT11
bear2be2 said:

This is a great post and one that will likely fall on deaf ears here.

I don't have any idea if Matt Rhule and his philosophies will work out at Baylor or in the Big 12, but I know he's playing a long game and it will take some time to find out. If it works, he'll look like a genius two years from now, and everyone here will be eating crow. If it doesn't, he'll likely join Beal and Steele near the bottom of the Baylor coaching hierarchy.

But it's clear from both his words and actions that he's always viewed this as a long-term rebuilding process and his recruiting strategies and personnel decisions have reflected that. As long as positive progress is being made, I'm willing to be patient and see if that light bulb goes on at some point. But frankly, it doesn't matter what I'm willing or unwilling to put up with because he will (and should be) given a fair amount of time to put his words and philosophies to action.

Here's the thing that bothers me about this: even if Rhule is proven "right" in a couple years, these first two seasons didn't have to be this bad. He's wasted these seasons based on his stubborn refusal to adapt his schemes to the personnel he has and the conference he plays in. This didn't have to be a gut job. We had enough players to be respectable last year and this year. He just made choices that made the team significantly worse.
PartyBear
And it's a gamble if Rhule will be proven right and if so what does that look like 7 win seasons? I think it's a waste of precious time to wait and see what happens it's time to move on.
Sailor Bear
PEPT11 said:

bear2be2 said:

I don't have any idea if Matt Rhule and his philosophies will work out at Baylor or in the Big 12, but I know he's playing a long game and it will take some time to find out. If it works, he'll look like a genius two years from now, and everyone here will be eating crow. If it doesn't, he'll likely join Beal and Steele near the bottom of the Baylor coaching hierarchy.

But it's clear from both his words and actions that he's always viewed this as a long-term rebuilding process and his recruiting strategies and personnel decisions have reflected that. As long as positive progress is being made, I'm willing to be patient and see if that light bulb goes on at some point. But frankly, it doesn't matter what I'm willing or unwilling to put up with because he will (and should be) given a fair amount of time to put his words and philosophies to action.

Here's the thing that bothers me about this: even if Rhule is proven "right" in a couple years, these first two seasons didn't have to be this bad. He's wasted these seasons based on his stubborn refusal to adapt his schemes to the personnel he has and the conference he plays in. This didn't have to be a gut job. We had enough players to be respectable last year and this year. He just made choices that made the team significantly worse.

I bet those Temple fans disagree. As much fun as 2-10 must have been for them, I'm sure they saw those back to back 10-winners and thought it was all worth it.
bear2be2
PEPT11 said:

bear2be2 said:

If Rhule succeeds in the long term, I think these early struggles will have been a key part of the process everyone here is so tired of hearing about. It's pretty clear from his time at Temple and now Baylor that he feels laying a proper foundation is the key to everything that happens in the future, and he doesn't believe in taking shortcuts to short-term success at the expense of his long-term vision.

If ... and I fully admit it's a big if ... he can do here what he did at Temple, and get us to the point where we're winning 10-plus games and contending for conference titles, I don't think anyone will care at that point what happened in Years 1 and 2.

Rhule is clearly gambling on himself and his staff's ability to build a program his way. It's worked once. We'll know in the next couple of years if that was a perfect storm or a repeatable blueprint. The early returns aren't great obviously. But we're only 15 games in. Let's see where things stand at the end of this season and especially after Year 3.
gsgriffin
Art - From the original press conference to the final season, I always loved listening to Art speak. He captivated his audience and you felt excitement. Art always seemed to have a knack for putting his players in a position to succeed, and pull of some exciting stuff. Even in the early years, there was just excitemnt of what was to come. You had seen the flashes of greatness in the players. Offense can do that for you. Much easier to get excited about offensive plays, than defense, save a pick 6...

Rhule - Every media I listen to him on, save for when he was breaking down stuff on the bowl game, hasn't generated excitement for me. Sure, a lot of that is, the guy that follows greatness on the field...It is always hard for them (Grobe doesn't count). But I have never came away from a press conference excited after hearing Rhule. And on the field, it seems such a disarray. How can we be calling this many timeouts this early in games? Does Vegas have a prop bet on when the first TO is called each game? That would get some fun action. I don't feel like he knows how to put his best players in a position to succeed right now. Does he know at thi point? It seems like he is still feeling them out...And the whole scene is frustrating, and leaving me very pessimistic.

Griffin
PartyBear
Y'all realize that Temple was good before he was HC right? His two immediate predecessors also left for P5 HC jobs. Golden to Miami and Addazio to BC. Rhule didn't build Temple. Oddly enough Golden bombed at Miami and Addazio hasn't done all that well at BC but is still there.
Sailor Bear
gsgriffin said:

Art - From the original press conference to the final season, I always loved listening to Art speak. He captivated his audience and you felt excitement. Art always seemed to have a knack for putting his players in a position to succeed, and pull of some exciting stuff. Even in the early years, there was just excitemnt of what was to come. You had seen the flashes of greatness in the players. Offense can do that for you. Much easier to get excited about offensive plays, than defense, save a pick 6...

Rhule - Every media I listen to him on, save for when he was breaking down stuff on the bowl game, hasn't generated excitement for me. Sure, a lot of that is, the guy that follows greatness on the field...It is always hard for them (Grobe doesn't count). But I have never came away from a press conference excited after hearing Rhule. And on the field, it seems such a disarray. How can we be calling this many timeouts this early in games? Does Vegas have a prop bet on when the first TO is called each game? That would get some fun action. I don't feel like he knows how to put his best players in a position to succeed right now. Does he know at thi point? It seems like he is still feeling them out...And the whole scene is frustrating, and leaving me very pessimistic.

Griffin

You know who gives a snoozer of a press conference? Nick Saban. Bill Belichick
Krieg
Booray said:

In the 59 years preceding Bill Snyder's arrival as KSU head coach, the Wildcats won 118 games. They averaged winning 2 games a year for 59 years.

Coach Ruhle might want to reevaluate.

Maybe he can't count to 59 and that's why we run this offense now? He's be embarrassed if he couldn't say our own score after the game.
gsgriffin
True. And I would be thankful to be able to snooze to that presser after a game...maybe at some point I will be able to be grateful for snoozing through a Rhule one, since I am not getting a change anytime soon, have to hope for the best.

Griffin
Krieg
Doc Holliday said:

Bearish said:

MilliVanilli said:

PartyBear said:

I completely agree. I'm just saying what his overall record here could very easily be as of today but yet it is way short of that.
I give 2017 a mulligan for transition, but you should've learned by now that you're not running in a blizzard in South Bend, Indiana at any time in the Big 12.

Having a team that can is nice, so we can run out the clock in a Cotton Bowl, but if we can't even get to a Cotton Bowl to begin with what good is it.
This is the biggest difference with Rhule vs. Art.

Art's offense in years 1 and 2 looked nothing like what he ultimately wanted in 2013 and 2014. Art ran RG3 nearly to death as a freshman because he had to (it was the only way to pick up a couple of wins). He was a "throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks" guy for the first couple of years. (People wanted him gone after back to back 4-win seasons, also).

Rhule, by contrast, believes there is a "correct" way to play. He's getting guys for what he ultimately wants to do, betting that once his recruits are Juniors/Seniors (having played the same way - day in and day out - for 3 or 4 years), we will finally be the team he wants. That's the "process." He doesn't want to run Charlie to death (or at least ACL surgery like RG3), in order to be 4-8 vs 1-11. I'm hoping he's right in the end, but it's way too early to say he's not.
It's not too early to say it won't be successful.

Regarding practice:

• Consider a situation where a team has 40 total concepts and time to do 200 repetitions. That is, on average, five repetitions per concept.
  • If the offensive complexity is scaled back by 40 percent, that leaves 24 concepts. If the pace of practice is accelerated by 20 percent, that leads to 240 reps. The result is an average of 10 repetitions per concept, double the reps above.

Nudging a little more towards simplicity and working a little faster results in 2.5x the repetitions per concept.
Is it any wonder that Briles teams executed his offense so well.

Rhule is expecting high school spread players basically playing yard ball to adapt to a very complex playbook.

Even if he was successful we would be winning one season and losing as soon as the starters leave: giving the impression of inconsistency and it would results in poorer recruiting classes.

This, except I bet we're running 25% of the reps in practice that we ran under Art, which makes the math a whole lot worse.

We used to run plays as fast as possible in practice and would teach on the side while the reps were still run by others. Now, we stop practice after every play and address what went wrong on the previous rep.

Source: player's parent.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Y'all realize that Temple was good before he was HC right? His two immediate predecessors also left for P5 HC jobs. Golden to Miami and Addazio to BC. Rhule didn't build Temple. Oddly enough Golden bombed at Miami and Addazio hasn't done all that well at BC but is still there.
Temple has two 10-win seasons in its history. Both came on Matt Rhule's watch. And he absolutely rebuilt that program, which was on a downward trajectory when Addazio left. Say what you want about the job he's done at Baylor, but to denigrate his performance at Temple is to rewrite history.
Krieg
bear2be2 said:

LavacaBear said:

In Briles early seasons that we're a struggle, we saw good progress. Positive trends. We look terribly confused.

Even later with Briles in our best years we'd see a poor first half... but a hellacious 2nd half, or vice versa.

We look empty and lost.
I think you're romanticizing Briles' first two seasons. Griffin was about the only cause for excitement in Year 1, and outside of one inexplicable game in Missouri, Year 2 was a disaster. Even Year 3 had its share of frustrations, though they were easy to overlook because of the tangible progress made that season.

Anything worth building takes time. And since we have no choice or control in the matter, we might as well be patient and see how this thing plays out. The pitchfork mob could well end up being right. Rhule could be an abject failure here. But it's going to take more than 15 games to determine that, and he'll be given three seasons at a minimum to get the ship righted.

Go find me 3 coaches that have taken over a program that had made at least 3 straight bowls (we'd made 7 so I'm not asking for much) and then made the team at least 4 wins worse in year one (Rhule made us 6 worse, so again not asking for much) that went on to be successes at that same school at the P5 level.

If you can't find one, he proved he'd fail last year.
Krieg
Bearish said:

PEPT11 said:

bear2be2 said:

I bet those Temple fans disagree. As much fun as 2-10 must have been for them, I'm sure they saw those back to back 10-winners and thought it was all worth it.

Temple was winning 8-9 games annually before he took over, barring the single season right before. Then he won two games and 4 games. This is because he's too egotistical and not a winner.

Winners can't survive this level of failure not because of external pressures but because they themselves hate losing this much. Rhule doesn't have that and it's why he'll never be an elite coach.

At the very least we'd be better just by hiring someone that hates losing. Rhule seems to want to win a specific way and is fine with losing when his way doesn't pan out. That's a fireable offense in itself imo.

Finally, if I were Rhoades I'd have been all over him last season for blaming players all the time. The fact he's still doing it is unacceptable. You want to know why they seem like they're going through the motions out there? It's because they don't like their coach. They don't want to fight for him. I bet him blaming them for literally everything has something to do with that.
bear2be2
Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

LavacaBear said:

In Briles early seasons that we're a struggle, we saw good progress. Positive trends. We look terribly confused.

Even later with Briles in our best years we'd see a poor first half... but a hellacious 2nd half, or vice versa.

We look empty and lost.
I think you're romanticizing Briles' first two seasons. Griffin was about the only cause for excitement in Year 1, and outside of one inexplicable game in Missouri, Year 2 was a disaster. Even Year 3 had its share of frustrations, though they were easy to overlook because of the tangible progress made that season.

Anything worth building takes time. And since we have no choice or control in the matter, we might as well be patient and see how this thing plays out. The pitchfork mob could well end up being right. Rhule could be an abject failure here. But it's going to take more than 15 games to determine that, and he'll be given three seasons at a minimum to get the ship righted.

Go find me 3 coaches that have taken over a program that had made at least 3 straight bowls (we'd made 7 so I'm not asking for much) and then made the team at least 4 wins worse in year one (Rhule made us 6 worse, so again not asking for much) that went on to be successes at that same school at the P5 level.

The fact that you, as so many others here do, have completely glossed over the fairly unique set of circumstances that necessitated Rhule's hiring and impacted his roster enormously from both a talent and morale perspective tells me you're not terribly interested in having a real, nuanced discussion on the topic.
Krieg
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

Temple has two 10-win seasons in its history. Both came on Matt Rhule's watch. And he absolutely rebuilt that program, which was on a downward trajectory when Addazio left. Say what you want about the job he's done at Baylor, but to denigrate his performance at Temple is to rewrite history.

In the four years prior to Rhule Temple was:

30-19

In Rhule's 4 years at Temple he was:

33-19

So, he had 2 good seasons but actually held the winning percentage about where it had been before he got there. Keep in mind, teams haven't been playing 14 games very long (or even 12) so the whole total wins thing isn't that big a deal. Just like Art winning 10 a bunch and Teaff only did it once. Well, we played more games. Temple had 2 nine win seasons in the 4 years before Rhule but they only played 13 games. In both of Rhule's 10-win seasons they played 14 games and that extra game was OOC.

Still a good 2 years, but he didn't build the program. He got incrementally better after driving it off a cliff. Good coaches don't do that. Ever.
Krieg
bear2be2 said:

Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

LavacaBear said:

We look empty and lost.

The fact that you, as so many others here do, have completely glossed over the fairly unique set of circumstances that necessitated Rhule's hiring and impacted his roster enormously from both a talent and morale perspective tells me you're not terribly interested in having a real, nuanced discussion on the topic.

I gave up 4 years of our bowl streak and took away 2 wins from our last season. What more do you want? Clearly you're the one hiding from the real conversation.

Go find me a good coach that's made his team significantly worse when he took over at the P5 level. You can ignore my qualifiers if you want, but good must at least be a conference title and it needs to have been accomplished in the past 15 years. That's about 700 years of football seasons so surely you can find me a few guys.
Krieg
You talk like we were Marshall after the plane crash and our entire team died. No way were we worse off than 2008 and Art won 4. Heck, Morris won 3 the year before!

Since 1950, you know which coaches we've had at Baylor with a worse record in year one than their predecessor?

Beall
Ready
Roberts
Steele
Rhule
YoakDaddy
Bearish said:

gsgriffin said:

Griffin

You know who gives a snoozer of a press conference? Nick Saban. Bill Belichick

But they've got rings on their fingers.
BUbackerinET
MilliVanilli said:

He inherited a mess, no question, but he has the talent to be competitive. He doesn't even have to win yet, just be competitive, and play motivated and hopeful of the future, and last Saturday was just a turd that made it questionable if he can even do that.

It is true, he inherited a "PR" mess, not of his making, but he did not inherit a "mess" in general, and he knew what it was when he took the job. It is also true that he inherited plenty of good players and athletes. He also inherited first class facilities. He and staff also worked hard and landed some good recruits and he should be commended for that. That's where the excuses and compliments end for me. Last Saturday is not the only time turds have been left for all of us to look at, and while I consider myself a patient person and sold out fan, at some point, you have to cut your losses. I don't see the kind of improvement or enthusiasm I saw with the last re-build, and that concerns me greatly. There is no excuse whatsoever for that kind of performance with the athletes he has - I have concluded that he is simply too stubborn to listen to others, and ultimately, it will cost him his job.
Matthew
Krieg said:

Bearish said:

PEPT11 said:

bear2be2 said:

Temple was winning 8-9 games annually before he took over, barring the single season right before. Then he won two games and 4 games. This is because he's too egotistical and not a winner.

Winners can't survive this level of failure not because of external pressures but because they themselves hate losing this much. Rhule doesn't have that and it's why he'll never be an elite coach.

At the very least we'd be better just by hiring someone that hates losing. Rhule seems to want to win a specific way and is fine with losing when his way doesn't pan out. That's a fireable offense in itself imo.

Finally, if I were Rhoades I'd have been all over him last season for blaming players all the time. The fact he's still doing it is unacceptable. You want to know why they seem like they're going through the motions out there? It's because they don't like their coach. They don't want to fight for him. I bet him blaming them for literally everything has something to do with that.

You've got this exactly right. Coaches that have what it takes to be successful don't 1) look shocked and awed on the sideline the entirety of every game, 2) place all the blame on their players, and 3) put on a huge stupid smile after a blowout loss. I've seen enough to be convinced Rhule will never be successful at Baylor.
PacificBear
Matthew said:

Krieg said:

Bearish said:

PEPT11 said:

bear2be2 said:

You've got this exactly right. Coaches that have what it takes to be successful don't 1) look shocked and awed on the sideline the entirety of every game, 2) place all the blame on their players, and 3) put on a huge stupid smile after a blowout loss. I've seen enough to be convinced Rhule will never be successful at Baylor.
Stop the bleeding and fire his arse now. There has to be a better head coach within the program. Someone who doesn't have a constant stupid face would be a huge improvement.
Wwbear
PacificBear said:

Matthew said:

Krieg said:

Bearish said:

PEPT11 said:

bear2be2 said:

Stop the bleeding and fire his arse now. There has to be a better head coach within the program. Someone who doesn't have a constant stupid face would be a huge improvement.
Coach whats our offensive philosophy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.