Football
Sponsored by

#SPREADorDEAD

13,763 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HenryTheOctopus
YoakDaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bear8084 said:

MilliVanilli said:

Bear8084 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

no agenda except I want to see Baylor do well. Just trying to reason that offensive production through the air is not our biggest issue and that we do play a spread type of system.

I was using total yardage on both sides of those stats. Total points wouldn't yield a much different conclusion. Bottom line is if we get better with the running game, we will have a dynamic offense. And if we also get better on defense, we will have a good team. We have good QBs in the pipeline. I also think we have good OL in the pipeline, just not many of them grown up yet.

Of course I want Rhule to succeed. It is what is best for Baylor's interest. The true Baylor fans on this forum get that. The trolls from other schools or Art Briles only loyalists will not see it that way. They only desire to breed and fuel more chaos.

He's getting paid a lot of money and he is expected to produce now for the money he is getting paid. He's going to get at least 3 years (which he should) no matter what. Let it play out. But don't claim he is stubborn and not running a wide open offense. That is not accurate.

Excellent post. There are glaring weaknesses to what the offense is now with a porous o-line and a run game that needs to be better. Those saying we don't run the spread haven't been paying attention. We just need those other parts you mentioned to start clicking. Last year we were mid pack in the Big 12 in total offense, right behind the "Well Gary Patterson changed" TCU offense. It can and should succeed in the Big 12, it just depends how long those missing parts take to come together.
I think many are confusing the terminology spread with up-tempo, it's the tempo that seems to be lacking.

And that is a valid concern sure. There is some timing issues, but without the o-lind and run game playing like they need to is messes with the tempo and rhythm of everything.

And playing 2 QBs...one runs a spread (and HUNH) better than the other. Tempo is what makes spread so dangerous. I hope we stick with 1 soon.
bear2be2
MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

no agenda except I want to see Baylor do well. Just trying to reason that offensive production through the air is not our biggest issue and that we do play a spread type of system.

I was using total yardage on both sides of those stats. Total points wouldn't yield a much different conclusion. Bottom line is if we get better with the running game, we will have a dynamic offense. And if we also get better on defense, we will have a good team. We have good QBs in the pipeline. I also think we have good OL in the pipeline, just not many of them grown up yet.

Of course I want Rhule to succeed. It is what is best for Baylor's interest. The true Baylor fans on this forum get that. The trolls from other schools or Art Briles only loyalists will not see it that way. They only desire to breed and fuel more chaos.

He's getting paid a lot of money and he is expected to produce now for the money he is getting paid. He's going to get at least 3 years (which he should) no matter what. Let it play out. But don't claim he is stubborn and not running a wide open offense. That is not accurate.

That is a terrible way to run a business. Can you imagine if any other job worked like that. "You are expected to do your job now, but if you don't it's ok we will still give you millions for a few more years and then check back in with you." We are idiots! Conference USA here we come.
Are you new to college football? Barring something truly unique, no one fires a coach after two seasons. In a business based on four- and five-year player cycles, it takes three or four years in most cases to find out exactly what you have in a coach.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

In a business based on four- and five-year player cycles, it takes three or four years in most cases to find out exactly what you have in a coach.
If you like your wins, you can keep your wins.

Apparently we have to be ok with him losing to find out if he can win.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

That is a terrible way to run a business. Can you imagine if any other job worked like that. "You are expected to do your job now, but if you don't it's ok we will still give you millions for a few more years and then check back in with you." We are idiots! Conference USA here we come.
Are you new to college football? Barring something truly unique, no one fires a coach after two seasons. In a business based on four- and five-year player cycles, it takes three or four years in most cases to find out exactly what you have in a coach.
1-11 is truly unique.

2-10/3-9 this season is truly unique.

It could happen.
MidWestBear2010
bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

LOL! What a follower you are. "No one does x so we shouldn't either." God forbid we do something different than others. Has that mentality actually gotten you anywhere in life?
Hotsauce
MidWestBear2010 said:

bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

LOL! What a follower you are. "No one does x so we shouldn't either." God forbid we do something different than others. Has that mentality actually gotten you anywhere in life?
You dilute the next pool of coaching candidates by firing your previous one only 2 years in.
Doc Holliday
Hotsauce said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

You dilute the next pool of coaching candidates by firing your previous one only 2 years in.
Not with the $$$$ we are paying lol
trey3216
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/gil-lebreton/article5154216.html

If TCU was ever going to get over the Big 12 hump, Patterson realized, it was going to have to have a souped-up offense that could answer the Air Raid sirens that were going off around the league.
"It was a very difficult decision for him (Patterson)," Cumbie said. "When he said, 'Well, I know you're going to have to practice this offense a certain way, and I'm going to let you guys do that,' right then I knew that he really was serious about it."
What Cumbie and Patterson knew was that no huddle in games means no huddles in practice.
What Patterson was running in the Mountain West and what Baylor is running currently are two completely different animals. And our current offense, while lacking a running game, is incredibly modern in its concepts.

The irony with this ridiculous thread is that we're already running the spread predominantly. We're just not using tempo as part of that.
The epitome of modern spread is fast paced offense. No on thinks slow when they think spread.
So no, it's not ridiculous.

Also it's not as simple as using tempo.
Rhule's playbook is extremely complex and being taught to players who have never seen one in their life.
So difficult that a previous Heisman candidate (Jalen Hurd) struggles with it.

Scrap the playbook and let the players be athletes.

Jalen Hurd isn't struggling with a playbook as much as he's struggling catching the football. He's got 8 or 9 drops in 3 games. That's astoundingly bad. Many of them in crucial points in a game which has destroyed momentum.
Doc Holliday
trey3216 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/gil-lebreton/article5154216.html

If TCU was ever going to get over the Big 12 hump, Patterson realized, it was going to have to have a souped-up offense that could answer the Air Raid sirens that were going off around the league.
"It was a very difficult decision for him (Patterson)," Cumbie said. "When he said, 'Well, I know you're going to have to practice this offense a certain way, and I'm going to let you guys do that,' right then I knew that he really was serious about it."
What Cumbie and Patterson knew was that no huddle in games means no huddles in practice.
What Patterson was running in the Mountain West and what Baylor is running currently are two completely different animals. And our current offense, while lacking a running game, is incredibly modern in its concepts.

The irony with this ridiculous thread is that we're already running the spread predominantly. We're just not using tempo as part of that.
The epitome of modern spread is fast paced offense. No on thinks slow when they think spread.

Rhule's playbook is extremely complex and being taught to players who have never seen one in their life.

Jalen Hurd isn't struggling with a playbook as much as he's struggling catching the football. He's got 8 or 9 drops in 3 games. That's astoundingly bad. Many of them in crucial points in a game which has destroyed momentum.
Hurd is a freakishly tall RB trying to catch long passes at WR with an extremely complex playbook to further add to the confusion.
bear2be2
MidWestBear2010 said:

bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

There's a reason no one does it. It's stupid. But when you get your next AD job, feel free to run your program how you see fit.
bear2be2
Doc Holliday said:

Hotsauce said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Not with the $$$$ we are paying lol
Everyone's paying big money. If you don't think that firing a guy two years after a major scandal would have a negative effect on the way coaches view this job, I don't know what to tell you.
MidWestBear2010
bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

There's a reason no one does it. It's stupid. But when you get your next AD job, feel free to run your program how you see fit.
Nice, way to defend your argument with reason and facts.
jbbear
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

hodedofome said:

Says who? The best spread teams are going away from the tempo you so value.

Ohio State, arguably the best offensive team in the country, averages 80 plays per game. We're averaging 75.5. Clemson is down from 78 plays during their national championship season to 69 this season.

The bottom line is you don't know what you're talking about. You just think that Briles ball means winning ball. Well, tell that to Tulsa or Syracuse or Texas while Sterlin Gilbert was there.

If having a playbook was bad, the 99 percent of teams that have them would abandon theirs. And if offensive tempo was a sure-fire recipe for success, you wouldn't find Wake Forest, Texas Tech, Syracuse, Missouri and Northwestern in the top five for plays per game.
If we ran the exact same offense as Ohio State down to the minor details...what sets us apart from them?

The answer is Recruits.
We will NEVER recruit like Ohio State or Clemson. Ever.

You put us up against Ohio State and play exactly as they do...we lose every single time if you think we should adopt what they do.

So what do we do? Keep progressing with Rhule's philosophy even though you're not seeing an upward trend in progress?

You're going to have to tell me where you see us gaining progress.

Time? I don't buy it.
Dude, you're wrong. Give it up.

Houston, whose offense is run by a BRILES, is averaging 78.3 snaps per game this season. That's less than three per game more than us. Florida Atlantic averaged 73 snaps per game last season.

Extreme tempo was a fad, and one that did/does more harm than good for coaches not named Art Briles.
ACU is throwing up 27 points on us in year 2. We've had plenty of time to get over that hurdle. 95% of all CFB coaches have overcome that hurdle with this much talent.

So what gives? Why the absurd outlier?
What is Rhule doing wrong?

What is the process?
Like Kelly at UCLA? Taggart at FSU? Frost at Nebraska? Sumlin at Arizona? Morris at Arkansas? Brohm at Purdue? How about our old system being run by Montgomery at Tulsa? Last 15 games.....3-12.
At least you weren't stupid enough to say 100%....
Timbear
JBBear, most if not all of the coaches you just mentioned are 1st year coaches who have had their teams for maybe 1 spring training, 1 August training, and 3 games. Rhule has had Baylor football for 2 springs, 2 summers, 2 August trainings, and 15 games.
oldbear69

coach rhule calling plays for his high octane, air force offense..
bear2be2
MidWestBear2010 said:

bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Nice, way to defend your argument with reason and facts.
The fact is no one does what you're advocating here. The number of Division I coaches who have only been given two years at a school is so minute, it doesn't even merit discussion.

Like or not, when you hire a new coach, you're making a three-year commitment at a minimum. Add a scandal and a large buyout into the equation and you're probably guaranteeing four.
Dman
Bears2Canes said:

Even more so, I am astounded that grown ass adults have the time and energy to incessantly whine and moan about Rhule. I can understand disapproval of the program's direction under CMR, but some of y'all are borderline obsessed with your hatred of the guy.

He was brought here to do the job the way that he knows how. I may not always like it, and I have my own frustrations, but I'm going to keep faith in the guy as long as he's the head coach. After all, he undoubtedly knows more about how to run a football program than me, Doc, or any other poster in this forum. Get a grip, guys.

Let me get this straight. You're on a football forum whose whole existence is to talk football...and you're astounded" that grown ass men have the time to whine about Rhule. But you have the time to whine about those who whine about Rhule. You understand the circular absurdity of your position...don't you? Maybe not..and there in lies the irony.

As for "as long as he is our coach I'll keep the faith". Good lord. You'd still be supporting Steele if Baylor kept him employed? And no...just because someone is a head football coach doesn't make them a football geniuse above criticism or reproach. Many fail...only a few succeed.

I wish Rhule all the luck in the world, but he'd admit he had more talent than 1-11 last year and should have beaten Duke this year. So far, he's batting zero on results on the field. I hope that changes. But he does not have my blind loyalty as long as he's employed...as he does yours. Get off your high horse from those expecting more.
RansomBU
MilliVanilli said:

I think many are confusing the terminology spread with up-tempo, it's the tempo that seems to be lacking.

#TEMPOorNOSHOW
#TEMPOorLETGO
#TEMPOorGUANO
Bears2Cane
Dman said:

Bears2Canes said:

Even more so, I am astounded that grown ass adults have the time and energy to incessantly whine and moan about Rhule. I can understand disapproval of the program's direction under CMR, but some of y'all are borderline obsessed with your hatred of the guy.

He was brought here to do the job the way that he knows how. I may not always like it, and I have my own frustrations, but I'm going to keep faith in the guy as long as he's the head coach. After all, he undoubtedly knows more about how to run a football program than me, Doc, or any other poster in this forum. Get a grip, guys.

Let me get this straight. You're on a football forum whose whole existence is to talk football...and you're astounded" that grown ass men have the time to whine about Rhule. But you have the time to whine about those who whine about Rhule. You understand the circular absurdity of your position...don't you? Maybe not..and there in lies the irony.

As for "as long as he is our coach I'll keep the faith". Good lord. You'd still be supporting Steele if Baylor kept him employed? And no...just because someone is a head football coach doesn't make them a football geniuse above criticism or reproach. Many fail...only a few succeed.

I wish Rhule all the luck in the world, but he'd admit he had more talent than 1-11 last year and should have beaten Duke this year. So far, he's batting zero on results on the field. I hope that changes. But he does not have my blind loyalty as long as he's employed...as he does yours. Get off your high horse from those expecting more.
Yeah... I was mainly referring to the constant barrage of negative Rhule comments on this site and other forms of social media. My two comments "whining" about Rhule whiners are in reaction to hundreds upon hundreds of jabs on Rhule, many by the same posters over and over and over and over.

I never said he wasn't worthy of some criticism, but instead that he still deserves our support as head coach. He isn't going anywhere for awhile (as bear2be correctly pointed out), meaning that posters on this board are wasting their breath by constantly whining about the situation.

"Many fail... only a few succeed" is the exact reason why firing Rhule to just pick up some random coach off the street is a silly, silly thought. You aren't going to find a HC with similar pedigree as Rhule who would be willing to build our program up from scratch... Even if you did, progress doesn't just occur overnight.
Timbear
If Rhule is fired, and he won't be, Rhoades would not be hiring someone off the street. He would have a 2nd, and last chance to get it right, and go through a thorough process interviewing several candidates. Hopefully he would not be snowed again by a good faith, family, football speech.
Oldbear83
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

. Let's see what he can do when the chips are down and his back is against the wall.
That's where Rhule was after losing at home to Liberty. Rhule's response to the challenge was, especially on offense, underwhelming.

Reverend
Throw out the nonsense. Just watch us play. It's excrutiating.
Oldbear83
Reverend said:

Throw out the nonsense.
Can't, he still has six years on is contract.
BUbearinARK
MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

I believe this 'business' was already distressed upon Rhule's arrival. And somehow he's not just a desk jockey at a large company, he's the new fb CEO brought in to replicate what he's done in the past...not replicate what the last guy did. Not saying I don't like high-flyin offense (cuz I do!!!), just saying the corollary for 'business' in general isn't quite 1-for-1.
Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Took 3 years to have a winning team, that's what seems to matter to most people.
Which year did Art go 1-11?
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Took 3 years to have a winning team, that's what seems to matter to most people.

Oldbear83
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Briles immediately improved results from his predecessor. Can't say I have seen the same from Rhule.
GoldMind
Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Briles immediately improved results from his predecessor. Can't say I have seen the same from Rhule.

He immediately improved results by 1 game, it's true.

2007 3-9
2008 4-8
2009 4-8
jbbear
Timbear said:

JBBear, most if not all of the coaches you just mentioned are 1st year coaches who have had their teams for maybe 1 spring training, 1 August training, and 3 games. Rhule has had Baylor football for 2 springs, 2 summers, 2 August trainings, and 15 games.

Montgomery has been at Tulsa for 4 years. Brohm is in year 2 and is 0-3. You think UCLA (0-3), FSU (1-2) and Nebraska (about to be 0-3) started 2018 with worse talent than Rhule inherited?
You were probably clamoring for Montgomery or Brohm. They aren't tearing it up at all.
I'm not a sunshine pumper, but I'm amazed by all the numnuts on here that reference Steele/Roberts or fail to recognize the horrid state of the program he inherited.
jbbear
Timbear said:

If Rhule is fired, and he won't be, Rhoades would not be hiring someone off the street. He would have a 2nd, and last chance to get it right, and go through a thorough process interviewing several candidates. Hopefully he would not be snowed again by a good faith, family, football speech.
Glad to see you haven't made it personal with Rhule. Historically, you're a moronic poster. This statement shows your complete lack of class.
Dman
GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

2007 3-9
2008 4-8
2009 4-8

I see your point. But Rhule had more talent than 1-11. That's all I'm looking at. And he had more talent than Duke. He needs to play up to his talent...regardless of any other previous coach. He'd agree. He needs to improve. And not by 2 games (3 wins). His own expectation was a bowl game this year. I'm hoping he reaches it.
GoldMind
Dman said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

2007 3-9
2008 4-8
2009 4-8

I see your point. But Rhule had more talent than 1-11. That's all I'm looking at. And he had more talent than Duke. He needs to play up to his talent...regardless of any other previous coach. He'd agree. He needs to improve. And not by 2 games (3 wins). His own expectation was a bowl game this year. I'm hoping he reaches it.

briles had 5 first round picks those first two years

Jason Smith
Danny Watkins
Phil Taylor
RG3
Kendall Wright

Get out of here with the argument that Rhule has more talent.

Dman
GoldMind said:

Dman said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

2007 3-9
2008 4-8
2009 4-8

Jason Smith
Danny Watkins
Phil Taylor
RG3
Kendall Wright

Bro...I said nothing about Briles. I even said I'm not including previous coaches. I said he..Rhule, had more talent than 1-11 (UTSA, etc). He, Rhule, had more talent than Duke this year. He...Rhule, would agree. He needs to play up to HIS talent. Not a team Briles coached or any other team/coach. He said he expected 6 wins. I hope he reaches it. I will not consider 3-4 wins coaching up to his talent this year.
GoldMind
Dman said:

GoldMind said:

Dman said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

2007 3-9
2008 4-8
2009 4-8

Jason Smith
Danny Watkins
Phil Taylor
RG3
Kendall Wright

Bro...I said nothing about Briles. I even said I'm not including previous coaches. I said he..Rhule, had more talent than 1-11 (UTSA, etc). He, Rhule, had more talent than Duke this year. He...Rhule, would agree. He needs to play up to HIS talent. Not a team Briles coached or any other team/coach. He said he expected 6 wins. I hope he reaches it. I will not consider 3-4 wins coaching up to his talent this year.

My bad. I thought you were responding in context to my post about briles.
Dman
GoldMind said:

Dman said:

GoldMind said:

Dman said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

2007 3-9
2008 4-8
2009 4-8

Jason Smith
Danny Watkins
Phil Taylor
RG3
Kendall Wright

My bad. I thought you were responding in context to my post about briles.

No worries. I've misread/responded to my fair share of posts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.