Football
Sponsored by

#SPREADorDEAD

13,768 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HenryTheOctopus
xiledinok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They aren't going to fire him and pay him a bunch of money he is not earning while paying another coach.
He ll get three seasons.

Wichitabear
Ditto.
Dman
xiledinok said:

They aren't going to fire him and pay him a bunch of money he is not earning while paying another coach.
He ll get three seasons.

I don't disagree. I'd just like to see improvement this year. Not all or nothing next year.
D. C. Bear
MidWestBear2010 said:

I'm not sure I want us to win this game, it will just prolong the inevitable of Rhule getting fired. He has had plenty of chances, I don't care how he does against KU, it's time for him to go.

If Baylor wants its fan base back it needs a coach that is innovative that puts out a product that is exciting to watch. Matt is a good guy, and I think he has tons of football knowlege, but his game plan doesn't work at Baylor. We need someone who does things differently and is changing the way football is played. Think along the lines of the coach who never punts.

Troll or idiot?
ColomboLQ
GoldMind said:

Dman said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Took 3 years to have a winning team, that's what seems to matter to most people.
Which year did Art go 1-11?

Took 3 years to have a winning team, that's what seems to matter to most people.

Briles immediately improved results from his predecessor. Can't say I have seen the same from Rhule.

He immediately improved results by 1 game, it's true.

2007 3-9
2008 4-8
2009 4-8

I see your point. But Rhule had more talent than 1-11. That's all I'm looking at. And he had more talent than Duke. He needs to play up to his talent...regardless of any other previous coach. He'd agree. He needs to improve. And not by 2 games (3 wins). His own expectation was a bowl game this year. I'm hoping he reaches it.

briles had 5 first round picks those first two years

Jason Smith
Danny Watkins
Phil Taylor
RG3
Kendall Wright

Get out of here with the argument that Rhule has more talent.

I agree. Briles recruiting and developing talent should DEFINITELY be used against him. Good call.
Krieg
Doc Holliday said:

bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

no agenda except I want to see Baylor do well. Just trying to reason that offensive production through the air is not our biggest issue and that we do play a spread type of system.

I was using total yardage on both sides of those stats. Total points wouldn't yield a much different conclusion. Bottom line is if we get better with the running game, we will have a dynamic offense. And if we also get better on defense, we will have a good team. We have good QBs in the pipeline. I also think we have good OL in the pipeline, just not many of them grown up yet.

Of course I want Rhule to succeed. It is what is best for Baylor's interest. The true Baylor fans on this forum get that. The trolls from other schools or Art Briles only loyalists will not see it that way. They only desire to breed and fuel more chaos.

He's getting paid a lot of money and he is expected to produce now for the money he is getting paid. He's going to get at least 3 years (which he should) no matter what. Let it play out. But don't claim he is stubborn and not running a wide open offense. That is not accurate.

That is a terrible way to run a business. Can you imagine if any other job worked like that. "You are expected to do your job now, but if you don't it's ok we will still give you millions for a few more years and then check back in with you." We are idiots! Conference USA here we come.
Are you new to college football? Barring something truly unique, no one fires a coach after two seasons. In a business based on four- and five-year player cycles, it takes three or four years in most cases to find out exactly what you have in a coach.
1-11 is truly unique.

2-10/3-9 this season is truly unique.

It could happen.

Uh, yeah, this.
Krieg
bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Hotsauce said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

no agenda except I want to see Baylor do well. Just trying to reason that offensive production through the air is not our biggest issue and that we do play a spread type of system.

I was using total yardage on both sides of those stats. Total points wouldn't yield a much different conclusion. Bottom line is if we get better with the running game, we will have a dynamic offense. And if we also get better on defense, we will have a good team. We have good QBs in the pipeline. I also think we have good OL in the pipeline, just not many of them grown up yet.

Of course I want Rhule to succeed. It is what is best for Baylor's interest. The true Baylor fans on this forum get that. The trolls from other schools or Art Briles only loyalists will not see it that way. They only desire to breed and fuel more chaos.

He's getting paid a lot of money and he is expected to produce now for the money he is getting paid. He's going to get at least 3 years (which he should) no matter what. Let it play out. But don't claim he is stubborn and not running a wide open offense. That is not accurate.

That is a terrible way to run a business. Can you imagine if any other job worked like that. "You are expected to do your job now, but if you don't it's ok we will still give you millions for a few more years and then check back in with you." We are idiots! Conference USA here we come.
Are you new to college football? Barring something truly unique, no one fires a coach after two seasons. In a business based on four- and five-year player cycles, it takes three or four years in most cases to find out exactly what you have in a coach.

LOL! What a follower you are. "No one does x so we shouldn't either." God forbid we do something different than others. Has that mentality actually gotten you anywhere in life?
You dilute the next pool of coaching candidates by firing your previous one only 2 years in.
Not with the $$$$ we are paying lol
Everyone's paying big money. If you don't think that firing a guy two years after a major scandal would have a negative effect on the way coaches view this job, I don't know what to tell you.

We could hire someone, and it's hard to believe we'd get someone that would start worse than 3-13.
Krieg
GoldMind said:

Dman said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Briles immediately improved results from his predecessor. Can't say I have seen the same from Rhule.

2007 3-9
2008 4-8
2009 4-8

I see your point. But Rhule had more talent than 1-11. That's all I'm looking at. And he had more talent than Duke. He needs to play up to his talent...regardless of any other previous coach. He'd agree. He needs to improve. And not by 2 games (3 wins). His own expectation was a bowl game this year. I'm hoping he reaches it.

briles had 5 first round picks those first two years

Jason Smith
Danny Watkins
Phil Taylor
RG3
Kendall Wright

Get out of here with the argument that Rhule has more talent.

He recruited and trained 3 of them, talked a 4th into staying another year, and all moved way up the draft board after he arrived.

The picks didn't just happen, he helped make them happen. We were better the day he arrived on campus compared to the day before. You can't say the same about Rhule and that's objective. We we're far worse with him last year than we should've been, and we're far worse right now than we should be. That's his fault and if he doesn't fix it this year he should be fired. Otherwise, we'll go from a wait list to 20k tickets sold in 2 years. You can't run a business into the ground like that and keep your job. It's insane.
trey3216
Dman said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

2007 3-9
2008 4-8
2009 4-8

Well, ya see, Rhule doesn't play in the game. He didn't drop 7 passes. He didn't light up his own teammate and allow a touchdown. He didn't forget to block the same guy twice and allow him to affect 2 field goals.
D. C. Bear
trey3216 said:

Dman said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldMind said:

2007 3-9
2008 4-8
2009 4-8

Well, ya see, Rhule doesn't play in the game. He didn't drop 7 passes. He didn't light up his own teammate and allow a touchdown. He didn't forget to block the same guy twice and allow him to affect 2 field goals.

Well, ya see, Nick Saban doesn't play the game. He doesn't complete passes, force turnovers or make sacks. Over time, players reflect their coaching. It is getting to be time to see that in a positive way.
HenryTheOctopus
Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Hotsauce said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

bear2be2 said:

MidWestBear2010 said:

Ashley Hodge said:

LOL! What a follower you are. "No one does x so we shouldn't either." God forbid we do something different than others. Has that mentality actually gotten you anywhere in life?
You dilute the next pool of coaching candidates by firing your previous one only 2 years in.
Not with the $$$$ we are paying lol
Everyone's paying big money. If you don't think that firing a guy two years after a major scandal would have a negative effect on the way coaches view this job, I don't know what to tell you.

We could hire someone, and it's hard to believe we'd get someone that would start worse than 3-13.
It was hard to believe we'd get someone worse than Dave Roberts when we fired him after 2 seasons. We got Kevin Steele.

I'm guessing it was hard for Kansas fans to believe they would get someone worse than Turner Gill when they fired him after 2 seasons. They got Charlie Weis.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.