Football
Sponsored by

Unfortunately for Monty...

5,942 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BaylorOkie
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tulsa gave Morris and Arkansas his second win of the season.
MilliVanilli
Monty isn't escaping Tulsa for the P5 as anything other than a coordinator any time soon.

Wichitabear
I'm not sure Tulsa keeps him
BaylorOkie
I hope he gets another year because either the freshman will step up or Zach will give him good QB play next year. But he's under pressure. This week I spoke to a former player from the 80s and he said there is a lot of frustration among other former players that he's spoken with lately. The heat is on from them. Whether that will influence the AD, who knows.
Baylor3216
What happened to Chad President?
PartyBear
No offense to the Univ of Tulsa but it won't kill them to give him another year. It's not like they are P5 standing on shaky ground if realignment occurs. They also aren't a candidate for a promotion to P5 if realignment occurs. Time is not of any essence for Tulsa. Unless they have to extend his contract to give him next season, it isn't going to hurt them to give him next season and see how he does with Zach.
BaylorOkie
Agree, and there is a large faction of fans and alumni that agree with you, Party. Including the guy I talked to.

Also, TU is short on money. Monty took a pay cut this past summer. IDK what his buyout is, if any, but the school likely doesn't want to pay it. I think he has a very strong case to sit in his AD's office and make a case for next year with Zach.
MilliVanilli
Baylor3216 said:

Impeached.
MilliVanilli
Wichitabear said:

Tulsa can't do much better, might as well ride out his contract.
Wichitabear
Ok Milli. Lololol
Wichitabear
Benched. He can't pass
Wichitabear
I can agree with that. Monty isn't doing bad money wise and his house isn't bad either. I feel that Tulsa will let him have his chance with Zack
DanaDane
Baylor3216 said:

Rag arm, can't read D's and makes poor decisions. Art was fortunate Stidham flipped and President fled. He was never gonna be an effective P5 QB. He was just a really good high school athlete who should have tried receiver or DB in college.
BaylorBJM
Don't tell Stranger. In his expert opinion, Monty should have been our next coach and we were crazy not to hire him.

Damn, that's chick's opinions are solid.
BUbearinARK
BaylorBJM said:

Don't tell Stranger. In his expert opinion, Monty should have been our next coach and we were crazy not to hire him.

Ha!!

I was pulling for Monty today, but at least my neighbors will be in a good mood this week.
Wichitabear
Tulsa wanted him to play receiver but he wouldn't do it
Stranger
BaylorBJM said:

Don't mind your opinions. You are entitled to them. Don't spread things that aren't true, however. I was never a fan of him and never advocated his hiring anywhere.

Go Bears!
I'm a Bearbacker
D. C. Bear
Baylor3216 said:

He was impeached.
vanillabryce
Playing Texas and Arkansas in non-con is rough.

They've had close games, they just could t pull off.

I hope they give him another year.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
DanaDane said:

Baylor3216 said:

Rag arm, can't read D's and makes poor decisions. Art was fortunate Stidham flipped and President fled. He was never gonna be an effective P5 QB. He was just a really good high school athlete who should have tried receiver or DB in college.
Art's coaching would have made the kid looked other worldly. Nick Florence, for example.
Golden Helmet
Monty coached the QB's......
xiledinok
His job is safe. He will get another year but the recruiting has to pick up. The players are not going to be easy to find. The Tulsa fan base wants him to recruit Texas better than he is recruiting per Tulsa media.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Golden Helmet said:

Yeah, Briles had zero to do with qb development. Gotcha.
xiledinok
BarleyMcDougal said:

Golden Helmet said:

Yeah, Briles had zero to do with qb development. Gotcha.

He's a friend of the old staff. Monty and the old BU offensive line coach are big time coaches.
Some of us want Tulsa to do well. It's a good small school in a great town.
Golden Helmet
That's not what you said initially nor what I replied with....I'm confident Art is a fine QB coach - history proves that.

You stated Art would have made CP look other worldly like Nick....which is completely inaccurate.

If you'd ever attended practices you'd know what I'm referring to.

Maybe Art was up the QB's butts in meetings and during film study - but on the field - he was not.....Monty coached them....daily without fail and with no interference from Art.

EvilTroyAndAbed
MilliVanilli said:

Wichitabear said:

They do better all the time. They usually get a rising star and have 1-3 strong seasons. They've got to feel they can do better than these last three years with Monty.
Aberzombie1892
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

MilliVanilli said:

Wichitabear said:

They do better all the time. They usually get a rising star and have 1-3 strong seasons. They've got to feel they can do better than these last three years with Monty.

This. It would be surprising if he misses a bowl and they keep him.
hustlenflow
I have a daughter at TU, so I've been watching them this season. QB play has killed them. Southern Florida is ranked, and TU almost beat them without a passing game. They look very competitive to me with the exception of the QB position. I kind of hope he gets another year because I like him, and starting over sucks. But the results have been bad these past 2 season. [In 2016, they went 10-3 and won their bowl game.]

Banned BarleyMcDougal
Golden Helmet said:

That's not what you said initially nor what I replied with....I'm confident Art is a fine QB coach - history proves that.

You stated Art would have made CP look other worldly like Nick....which is completely inaccurate.

If you'd ever attended practices you'd know what I'm referring to.

Maybe Art was up the QB's butts in meetings and during film study - but on the field - he was not.....Monty coached them....daily without fail and with no interference from Art.

Definitely in the film room. And gameday, on the field coaching. I think Monty is a great offensive mind too. But Art was the architect. I think Art would have put CP in a better position to succeed.
Bears2Cane
Zach Smith will have Tulsa bowling next year. Quarterback play has consistently killed us all year (peep last week's stat sheet).
LavacaBear
Will be interesting. Hope he does well as long as we don't play em
bear2be2
Bears2Canes said:

Zach Smith will have Tulsa bowling next year. Quarterback play has consistently killed us all year (peep last week's stat sheet).
If Tulsa/Philip Montgomery is banking on Zach Smith being some sort of savior, they could be in for a rude awakening. I think Smith can be a good quarterback in that system and I hope he does well, but he comes with plenty of question marks. He was a really inaccurate passer last year for Baylor and made questionable decisions in both of his seasons as a starter. He's going to have to improve in both areas to succeed as a college quarterback, regardless of the offense and competition level.
ColomboLQ
bear2be2 said:

Bears2Canes said:

If Tulsa/Philip Montgomery is banking on Zach Smith being some sort of savior, they could be in for a rude awakening. I think Smith can be a good quarterback in that system and I hope he does well, but he comes with plenty of question marks. He was a really inaccurate passer last year for Baylor and made questionable decisions in both of his seasons as a starter. He's going to have to improve in both areas to succeed as a college quarterback, regardless of the offense and competition level.
Its a good thing that offense simplifies reads to maximize the production out of the player,
bear2be2
ColomboLQ said:

bear2be2 said:

Bears2Canes said:

Its a good thing that offense simplifies reads to maximize the production out of the player,
If that offense won games by itself, they wouldn't be sporting a 3-16 record over the past two years with a combined quarterback rating of about 108.

That offense should be a more quarterback-friendly system, but the play of Chad President, Luke Skipper and Seth Boomer the past two years should serve as all the proof necessary that it's far from a plug-and-play situation. If Zach Smith plays the same way at Tulsa he played for Baylor last season, he'll be only a marginal upgrade. I hope, for the sake of Zach, Monty and Tulsa, that he plays much better than that. He's got tools, but he's got to be more accurate as a passer and take better care of the ball.
Bears2Cane
bear2be2 said:

Bears2Canes said:

All completely fair points. But remember that Tulsa is playing AAC defenses all season and arguably has given the worst QB performances in all of FBS this year. Zach Smith, despite his flaws, is a massive step up from what we've been putting out there so far. Also, most of our losses have been pretty close and we've been competitive despite an atrocious passing game.

I don't think Smith will save Tulsa, but I'm certain that he will bring a ton of much needed improvement to the offense.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.