Football
Sponsored by

Do Bowl Games Mean Anything

5,966 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 241Bear
Forest Bueller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bernard_legoat said:

syme said:

Thee University said:

I believe any player this selfish and willing to leave his teammates on an island when they obviously were a major reason a team even makes a bowl should have to pay back his final year on campus tuition, fees, etc. His future NFL contract will not suffer as this will be a pittance.

Any player who does this demonstrates for the world to see their true dedication to our alma mater, their teammates, their coaches and alumni footing the bill. This is just another continuation of the downfall of college athletics,

My god you are out of touch. Good luck recruiting when you're known as a school who fines and punishes it's best players.

College football is entertainment, not the freakin Navy Seals. Get a grip.
I agree so much with this. It's purely for our entertainment at the end of the day.

It's crazy how we hold athletes to such a different standard than others. A lot of deep-rooted jealousy IMO. We all (or 98%) played sports growing up, but were not all gifted to become professional and makes millions in that aspect. It seems a lot of fans have this hatred towards those who were able to achieve their dreams, and THINK they should behave or act how the fan VIEWS.

The way people view coaches v. players, owners v. players, AD's v. players; like the players are supposed to be the one who feel as if they should be lucky they are allowed to play their respective sport. They were blessed with athletic prowess, just as surgeons were blessed with steady hands or lawyers were blessed with the skill to argue. We as fans need to stop thinking athletes are supposed to be this perfect person, that we most certainly are not ourselves, and that we don't hold the owners and coaches to as well.

A lot of introspective looking needs to be done.

Wow, that was a lot of words for a simple situation. A player has a scholarship to play football, I don't believe you should skip a game just because you feel like it. If injured, of course yes. If healthy you should play.

MilliVanilli
Bowls are still prestigious, and if you don't go bowling you had a bad year.

The New Year's Six are still a goal to be pursued by teams that want to be contenders in the college playoff.

Thee University
tommie said:

Thee University said:

I believe any player this selfish and willing to leave his teammates on an island when they obviously were a major reason a team even makes a bowl should have to pay back his final year on campus tuition, fees, etc. His future NFL contract will not suffer as this will be a pittance.

Any player who does this demonstrates for the world to see their true dedication to our alma mater, their teammates, their coaches and alumni footing the bill. This is just another continuation of the downfall of college athletics,

Them days are long gone. You're asking for a one way dedication. In fact, you're suggesting players should be loyal while coaches will sign a player one day and take another job the next.

It was nice when it was different but is getting hurt in a meaningless bowl game worth it.

If we get back to 20 bowl games, we can talk.
One way? Baylor is bending over backwards for these guys and providing them with some of the finest facilities, training, nutrition and education in the south How can you sit there and say this is one way? The last time I checked these are still TEAMS, not individuals.

Who cares about the coaches?

We had a name for players that played not to get hurt. Have we gotten so far down the road of pussification of college football that you guys are starting to feel sorry for these super stars and are fine with 85% effort or 90% effort?

I knew the large majority of BF's and 365'ers were sporting limp wrists and pencil necks when we had the discussion about Oklahoma drills and then the topper of all toppers....................those of you who claimed we should not be playing good, solid teams in non-conference because someone might get hurt.

Good grief.
contrario
To compare to NCAAB, the playoff bowls are the Tournament and the other bowls are the NIT and other postseason tournaments. The extra practice is good, the extra playing time is good and the extra exposure is good, but the NIT championship is meaningless just as the winner of the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl (yes, that's a real bowl name). Since it is meaningless, the players should (and do) view it for what it is, and that is extra practice time for next season and a chance for some players that are on the draft bubble to get a little extra exposure. From a team perspective, those are the 2 main goals. So if a player is leaving for the NFL, he already won't be on the team next year and if he is projected to be picked in one of the early rounds, there is nothing to gain by playing in the game, and there is a chance (albeit small) that the player could get hurt and cost him money.

If I was a player on the team, I would have no problem with a top pick taking the game off because it would give the next guy a chance to get playing time for next year. And I would want my teammates to be supportive of me if I had the same opportunity and didn't want it ruined by injury.
Thee University
I guarantee you that if Baylor was competing regularly for a top tier bowl berth you guys would be singing a different tune. Now that we have dipped down into a Russell Athletic, Holiday, Motel 6 Cactus or even the Texas bowl you don't care so much.

Thee University
Some of you limp wrists saying you support kids bailing out on his respective school prior to bowl games please provide me a list of NFL caliber players that got hurt in their bowl game and ruined their careers.

I'll wait while that big melon mounted on your pencil neck tries to Google up a response.
contrario
Thee University said:

Some of you limp wrists saying you support kids bailing out on his respective school prior to bowl games please provide me a list of NFL caliber players that got hurt in their bowl game and ruined their careers.

I'll wait while that big melon mounted on your pencil neck tries to Google up a response.
It doesn't matter. Even if the list was only 1 player, that is enough to justify a player being reluctant to play in a game that is meaningless.

I fully support WVU's qb for skipping the game and they are playing in a big bowl. I would do the same if a Baylor player did the same. I also fully support players that decide to play the game. I support our players no matter what (as long as they don't break a law of course). I'm not going to criticize a player that gave 3-5 good years to Baylor if he decides to take an exhibition game off that is only good for establishing momentum going into next season and for making money for ESPN, sponsors and host cities. But maybe that's just me.
bernard_legoat
Thee University said:

tommie said:

Thee University said:

Them days are long gone. You're asking for a one way dedication. In fact, you're suggesting players should be loyal while coaches will sign a player one day and take another job the next.

It was nice when it was different but is getting hurt in a meaningless bowl game worth it.

One way? Baylor is bending over backwards for these guys and providing them with some of the finest facilities, training, nutrition and education in the south How can you sit there and say this is one way? The last time I checked these are still TEAMS, not individuals.

We had a name for players that played not to get hurt. Have we gotten so far down the road of pussification of college football that you guys are starting to feel sorry for these super stars and are fine with 85% effort or 90% effort?

I knew the large majority of BF's and 365'ers were sporting limp wrists and pencil necks when we had the discussion about Oklahoma drills and then the topper of all toppers....................those of you who claimed we should not be playing good, solid teams in non-conference because someone might get hurt.

Good grief.
lol bending over backwards.

Why don't you care about the coaches, sir?

Let's say Jalen Hurd was healthy, what does he have to gain by playing in the Texas Bowl? This entire argument is predicated on the fans (like yourself) being selfish. We have a term for that as well, since you want to play the guessing game.
homey d clown
Thee University said:

Thee is exactly right.. The downfall,however, started with schools chasing the dollar via changing conferences etc.. Unfortunately, players are following the examples of school administration where the dollar Is everything and tradition means nothing.
90sBear
Let's frame this another way:

Which is potentially more valuable to WVU, Will Grier playing and helping his team win their bowl game or Will Grier getting drafted highly? I realize those aren't mutually exclusive, but playing does carry a risk.

My point is, many of these players might have the blessing of their coaches who don't want to see them injured and fall in the draft either because a high draft pick is also great publicity and recruiting tool.
REvansBU71
Right now, in some cases, they're the difference between a losing season and a winning one.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
90sBear
REvansBU71 said:

Right now, in some cases, they're the difference between a losing season and a winning one.
And again I will ask, which is more valuable?

Let's say Jalen Hurd wasn't injured and is also a lock as a first round pick.

Which is more valuable to Baylor in the long run - a Texas Bowl victory and 7-6 season or a first round draft pick Jalen Hurd getting his name (and Baylor's) mentioned every single time ESPN does a draft analysis and the inevitable more playing time a first round player gets plus calling out "Jalen Hurd, Baylor University" on Sunday Night Football.

I'm not saying that one is always more valuable than the other, just wondering what the college coaches' thoughts actually are on this. I would not be surprised to find a variety of opinions just as there are a variety of opinions here.
Thee University
bernard_legoat said:

Thee University said:

tommie said:

Thee University said:

Good grief.

Let's say Jalen Hurd was healthy, what does he have to gain by playing in the Texas Bowl? This entire argument is predicated on the fans (like yourself) being selfish. We have a term for that as well, since you want to play the guessing game.
The coaches are not the primary or even secondary reason a kid should be choosing Baylor.

Jalen Hurd, in my opinion, did not truly separate himself this season from the multitudes of other WRs across the nation. While he was handcuffed to some degree by our O, I kept waiting for him to have a monster of a game and get some ESPN love. It never happened.

He still has something to prove in my opinion and I think most coaches try to help their potential NFL caliber seniors by getting them lots of looks/snaps during the bowl game.

Fans can deserve to be a bit selfish. After all, it is the fans and the alumni who make it possible for Baylor kids to play a game. Why can't our expectations be elevated a bit?
Mitch Blood Green
Thee University said:

bernard_legoat said:

Thee University said:

tommie said:

Thee University said:

Good grief.

The coaches are not the primary or even secondary reason a kid should be choosing Baylor.

Jalen Hurd, in my opinion, did not truly separate himself this season from the multitudes of other WRs across the nation. While he was handcuffed to some degree by our O, I kept waiting for him to have a monster of a game and get some ESPN love. It never happened.

He still has something to prove in my opinion and I think most coaches try to help their potential NFL caliber seniors by getting them lots of looks/snaps during the bowl game.

Fans can deserve to be a bit selfish. After all, it is the fans and the alumni who make it possible for Baylor kids to play a game. Why can't our expectations be elevated a bit?

He has nothing to prove. He doesn't have NFL receiver skills. However he has a big body and good speed. Can he play special teams?

4.48 vs. 4.44 can go a long way in giving him a chance to try. Two years from now? With daily practice? He can develop.

Texas bowl will not give him the .04 he needs.
BoonDockSaint
I cant imagine how some of yall seem to think Jalen is a 1st or even 2nd day draft pic

Some team would have to have a hard on for him

He dropped wayyyy too many balls this year IMO

He never showed any break away speed....nor game changing catches

Plus they dont really know whats going on in that mind of his

Nailer
A few bowls can mean quite a lot, the others mean very little.
Thee University
BoonDockSaint said:

I cant imagine how some of yall seem to think Jalen is a 1st or even 2nd day draft pic

I was trying to be nice but your neck is thicker than mine, your wrists is stiffer and your words more truthful.

I want Jalen to be great but you hit the nail on the head.

I looked up some draft forecasts and he is not even Top 35 WR in the draft.

Why would he skip the bowl game???
90sBear
BoonDockSaint said:

I haven't seen that argument, so I'm not sure why you are arguing. By all accounts Hurd is injured and just had surgery.

I mentioned him being a first round pick as a hypothetical for what is of more value to a team.
BaylorHistory
BoonDockSaint said:

1st off....there are too many bowls ..

So many bowls are just barely breathing....no one cares about most bowl games tbh

I dont like kids sitting out

Hell they all need to graduate even IMO

I mean...i dont think they can even coach at a school without a college diploma
Baylor (Men's bball at least) allows all players that go pro early to come back and finish their degree, iirc.

As far as guys sitting out I don't see a problem with it. Why do the top of the top that are worth more than tuition + expenses per year owe a school anything that is getting their services undervalue?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
BaylorHistory
Thee University said:

bernard_legoat said:

Thee University said:

tommie said:

Thee University said:

Good grief.

We're talking the real world here, not some utopia. Relationships and results matter.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
BaseballBear1108
Quote:

Quote:

Good grief.

Quote:

I think you are overestimating how much players "owe" their universities. What makes their final goals more important than fans wanting to see their team win? These guys are 20-23 years old. Of course they are going to care about their future more than an exhibition game. Although I understand why its hard for the "yell at the clouds crowd" to see that.
Thee University
BaseballBear1108 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Good grief.

Quote:

I think you are overestimating how much players "owe" their universities. What makes their final goals more important than fans wanting to see their team win? These guys are 20-23 years old. Of course they are going to care about their future more than an exhibition game. Although I understand why its hard for the "yell at the clouds crowd" to see that.
I don't think I'm overestimating how much players owe Baylor. I got 4.5 years of scholarship help from Baylor. I value that $$$ help and have tried to give back to BU over the past 40 years in a variety of ways. I guess I value my Baylor degree more than kids today?

There have been 30 kids drafted out of Baylor in the past 10 years. 3 per year average. 6 were first round and 3 more were taken in the first 3 rounds. Normally they say if you get drafted in rounds 1-3 you have a good chance of making the team. Some of those 9 kids are no longer playing. It is often short and sweet and I contend that kids today need to understand how many people have given so that they can play a game and get an education. Very, very few have a future in football.

Again, as I mentioned above in an earlier post, please provide me a list of kids who played in a bowl game, got hurt and lost their career because they played that bowl game. I'll guarantee you there are 10X as many kids who increased their draft stock AFTER having played in a bowl game and impressed the scouts.

If it did not mean anything the NFL would not send their scouts to the bowl games and to the post season all-star teams.

I'm still listening to crickets.
BoonDockSaint
Thee University said:

BoonDockSaint said:

I was trying to be nice but your neck is thicker than mine, your wrists is stiffer and your words more truthful.

I want Jalen to be great but you hit the nail on the head.

I looked up some draft forecasts and he is not even Top 35 WR in the draft.

Why would he skip the bowl game???

Dont get me wrong....i hope the best for Jalen

I hope someone takes a risk on him at WR

I get why he did what he did based on what has been put out publicly and how low a life an NFL RB on average winds up being.

That being said. This isnt a perfect world where we get to pick and choose what we want in life and still get meteoric results...

Life and success and money ebbs and flows as many of us in our 40s and older learn by living life

You could never explain this to a 20 year old and have them truly understand that most times in life...you only get 1 chance to strike while the iron is hot

Worst case...Jalen gets picked up as a free agent and has to continue to plow his way thru the learning curve he put on himself by switching positions

Best case...IMO he winds up at RB in the NFL after all is said and done after trudging thru free agency or low draft pick
90sBear
Thee University said:

Again, as I mentioned above in an earlier post, please provide me a list of kids who played in a bowl game, got hurt and lost their career because they played that bowl game. I'll guarantee you there are 10X as many kids who increased their draft stock AFTER having played in a bowl game and impressed the scouts.

If it did not mean anything the NFL would not send their scouts to the bowl games and to the post season all-star teams.

I'm still listening to crickets.
The two biggest examples of players falling in the draft due to injury are Willis McGahee in 2003 and Jaylon Smith in 2016. Both lost millions of dollars due to dropping in the draft after their respective injuries. It is Smith injury that has had the most impact as it happened recently and showed that McGahee's injury was not a one time fluke.

Obviously each player has to decide for himself if playing in a bowl will help his draft status. However as counter-argument to the idea that playing in a bowl absolutely helps you, Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey were the first high profile players to skip their bowl games last year. They were drafted 4th and 8th overall. I would say the scouts did not care they did not show up for their teams bowl games.

That sound you hear is the inevitable change in college football as players decide that their long term future and their family's future is more important than a single bowl game. The trend won't be changing any time soon.
Thee University
So..................every 13 years potential 1st round draft choice gets hurt in their bowl game?

I can guarantee you that if a coach suspects his star player is going to sit in the bowl game, that kid is going to see less playing time as the season winds down. If the kid is going to wait until the final game to break the news then he is a chicken _____ for deserting his teammates, his coaches, his university and should be cut off scholarship immediately. Let him go work out prior to the combine with his agent.
Thee University
90sBear said:

Thee University said:

That sound you hear is the inevitable change in college football as players decide that their long term future and their family's future is more important than a single bowl game. The trend won't be changing any time soon.

That sound I hear is a *****y, whining and ungrateful prima donna.
Timbear
Thee is always determined to try and prove how much of a man we should think he is, and what wimps everyone else is.
90sBear
Thee University said:

So..................every 13 years potential 1st round draft choice gets hurt in their bowl game?

I can guarantee you that if a coach suspects his star player is going to sit in the bowl game, that kid is going to see less playing time as the season winds down. If the kid is going to wait until the final game to break the news then he is a chicken _____ for deserting his teammates, his coaches, his university and should be cut off scholarship immediately. Let him go work out prior to the combine with his agent.
And how many kids who are virtually guaranteed a certain draft slot if they stay healthy and test well want to risk being the next one? Sure, most play. But I can promise you that number is going to steadily decrease. Eventually some kid will sit that overplayed his hand and might end up being drafted lower than he otherwise might have had he made a good showing at a bowl. But I don't think we are there yet.

I can guarantee you that you are wrong because not one of the players who have stated they are sitting out a bowl game has had their playing time reduced towards the end of the season. Because that coach knows that the higher that kid is drafted, the better he can be used as an example for the high school kid the coach is currently recruiting. "Come to our school and your name can also be called out on the first day."

Very few coaches can risk being known as the coach that benched his star player who is projected to be drafted in the first round because he was concerned that player might sit the bowl game.
90sBear
Thee University said:

90sBear said:

Thee University said:

The sound I hear from you is a *****y, whining, and ungrateful fan who thinks his years as a fan mean he deserves to see a 22 year old kid risk his future livelihood for personal enjoyment.
Thee University
Timbear said:

Thee is always determined to try and prove how much of a man we should think he is, and what wimps everyone else is.
I have nothing to prove. After 40 years I still appear in the Baylor record books. Read it and weep.

I also do not have to prove you millennial boys are wimps. Your posting speaks for itself.

What we are arguing about is the continuing implosion of college football. If you limp wrists and pencil necks get your way Baylor football will be a club sport played by pencil necks and limp wrists. NCAA football will be turned into farm systems for the NFL.

I'm ordering participation trophies for all of you!
Thee University
90sBear said:

Thee University said:

90sBear said:

Thee University said:

The sound I hear from you is a *****y, whining, and ungrateful fan who thinks his years as a fan mean he deserves to see a 22 year old kid risk his future livelihood for personal enjoyment.
We are talking about 1.6% of college players that even make the leap into the NFL. The sure-fire, 1st rounders are even less.

Is it too much to ask that these "team" players pay back what they are stealing by not upholding their end of the "contract"?

You guys act like you might be on welfare. You want something for nothing. I'm not giving you a participation trophy. You only get a ribbon.
90sBear
Thee University said:

90sBear said:

Thee University said:

90sBear said:

Thee University said:

We are talking about 1.6% of college players that even make the leap into the NFL. The sure-fire, 1st rounders are even less.

Is it too much to ask that these "team" players pay back what they are stealing by not upholding their end of the "contract"?

You guys act like you might be on welfare. You want something for nothing. I'm not giving you a participation trophy. You only get a ribbon.

Sure, the coach and school can ask. They can put it into a contract that the players have to sign before the season begins. "You as the committed scholarship player agree to play every game this season, including potential end of season bowl games and playoff games. For every game that you refuse to play not due to injury, you will reimburse the school the percentage of games you missed of your tuition for the semester."

Then they can sit back and get ready for the media onslaught that will come from it. And then prepare themselves for the negative recruiting that other schools will use against them.

As I said before, very few coaches could withstand the pressure that would bring and I still say there are probably many coaches out there who, depending on the circumstances, give their blessing to the player because they want him drafted highly as well.
Thee University
90sBear said:

Thee University said:

90sBear said:

Thee University said:

90sBear said:

Thee University said:

Sure, the coach and school can ask. They can put it into a contract that the players have to sign before the season begins. "You as the committed scholarship player agree to play every game this season. For every game that you refuse to play not due to injury, you will reimburse the school the percentage of games you missed of your tuition for the semester."

Then they can sit back and get ready for the media onslaught that will come from it. And then prepare themselves for the negative recruiting that other schools will use against them.

As I said before, very few coaches could withstand the pressure that would bring and I still say there are probably many coaches out there who, depending on the circumstances, give their blessing to the player because they want him drafted highly as well.
I'm not advocating that Baylor go lone wolf on this. I'm saying all of college football, outside the bluebloods, are going to be hard pressed to keep up with the big boys.

I personally think the liberal media, outside of ESPN, will support what I advocate.

College football is changing and you can't let 18-22 year old kids run the programs. The parts (players) are interchangeable.

How many of our recent high draft choices have panned out? Should any of them skipped their bowl games?

Baylor is different. As a private school we can manage and run our athletic departments a bit differently and still be an attractive choice for a kid who values his education and REAL future.
bernard_legoat
Thee University said:

Timbear said:

I have nothing to prove. After 40 years I still appear in the Baylor record books. Read it and weep.

I also do not have to prove you millennial boys are wimps. Your posting speaks for itself.

What we are arguing about is the continuing implosion of college football. If you limp wrists and pencil necks get your way Baylor football will be a club sport played by pencil necks and limp wrists. NCAA football will be turned into farm systems for the NFL.

I'm ordering participation trophies for all of you!
If we're being honest, the only thing/player pre-RGIII anyone cares about is Singletary.

Your "record" is cute lol. I think there are a few Cleveland Browns players who are proud of some records they hold as well.

Write a letter to the AD or coach and express your feelings then, sir. Make it public, make it go viral. Also make sure your first and last name are on it. Say exactly what you have said on this here board, sir.

Or are you too "pencil neck". Easy to hide behind a message board.
xiledinok
Getting a degree should be important to these guys because 5 years after they play, people will not do anything for them based on their playing.
This includes big time players who won national championships.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.