Football
Sponsored by

Rhule is staying

34,452 Views | 256 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boognish_bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boognish_bear
CMR back on the grind

YoakDaddy
boognish_bear said:

CMR back on the grind

I sure hope Wetzel gets promoted to coach. He could lead this team when CMR leaves for the league.
PartyBear
Not until after he has had a couple successful seasons as OC.
Timbear
Rhule as an OC? What is this, Comedy Central?
PartyBear
No I was responding to someone mentioning Whetzel as Rhule's successor.
boognish_bear
Crowded house in the Hill

Timbear
O, sorry PartyBear.
YoakDaddy
Timbear said:

O, sorry PartyBear.

Yeah. It was me. IMO we've got a load of coaching talent in Wetzel, McGuire, and Bell who are from Texas and not likely to drift far when CMR leaves like Nixon, Snow, and others brought in would. It would be wise for CMR and Mack to plan for CMR's successor and promote up internally since the NFL jobs open typically after college season is over. Promote up to HC like tOSU just did. It'd be better for team continuity, too.
boognish_bear

So what happened with Rhule?

Though it's not clear who liked whom in the Jets' organization during the search, some outside believe that Rhule -- a former Giants assistant (for one season) who turned around college programs at Temple and Baylor -- had become Maccagnan's favorite. The Jets had extensive talks with him, but they had concerns over his lack of NFL experience.

In those discussions with Rhule, the Jets made it clear that if they were to hire him they wanted to make sure he had an experienced NFL staff. They even pitched the idea of Monken to him as his offensive coordinator. They discussed several other possible assistants. It's not clear if the Jets told him whom he should hire -- remember, Johnson denied the Jets would have dictated the staff of any candidates -- but Rhule was left with the impression that they at least wanted to guide him in the process.

And Rhule would have none of that.

"I'm never going to be in an arranged marriage," he later told a Waco, Texas radio station. "I'm never going to subcontract jobs to the offense and defense. I want to hire people that believe in what I believe, that are going to do things our way."

That's advice that, according to one source, he got from his mentor -- Bill Parcells.
Tenacious D
jh0505 said:

He is at the top of the food chain. Hopefully this all gets explained, this week. Let him. Thanks Coach for being big enough for the worry.
Dude...I found your post from a year ago and it is an all time classic on the premium site. Someone just paraphrased it today. I wanted to thank you for this post and bring joy & comedy to everyone.

Will you cancel my subscription? If can't, who can. This baby football at it finest, and not Sic' em in the least. Getting inside knowledge is one thing, but this is another.
BUbearinARK
Tenacious D said:

jh0505 said:

He is at the top of the food chain. Hopefully this all gets explained, this week. Let him. Thanks Coach for being big enough for the worry.
Dude...I found your post from a year ago and it is an all time classic on the premium site. Someone just paraphrased it today. I wanted to thank you for this post and bring joy & comedy to everyone.

Will you cancel my subscription? If can't, who can. This baby football at it finest, and not Sic' em in the least. Getting inside knowledge is one thing, but this is another.
Are non donors allowed to comment?
boognish_bear
And the Jets had an issue with CMR because they were worried about the staff he would hire??

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.