Football
Sponsored by

Rhule is staying

34,444 Views | 256 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by boognish_bear
BylrFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Krieg said:

Yeah, after building us from an awful program into a conference championship, Heisman-winning program. Rhule got us to where we started in year 2 and has tried to leave EVERY YEAR.

Also, Briles never even freaking interviewed. Rhule was ready to sign on but wouldn't because the Jets wouldn't do it his way. I don't fault him on the last part, but I'll never support him. God didn't call him here, his god did. His career.

I'm not on one side or the other, but the Briles thing needs to be called out. He didn't interview because he didn't think he needed to. He told UT to offer him or not. He would have jumped if offered. So don't pull this sanctimonious crap that he didn't interview. He negotiated and didn't get the gig. No different from this situation.
Difference is Briles was more likely to stay in Texas whereas Rhule is most likely to bolt to the North East in a year or two. Not many opportunities here once the UT job is gone.
Doc Holliday
Proves he's stubborn.

He didn't take the job because they wouldn't agree to let him build his own staff. It's his way or the highway.

Recruits have got to be pissed.
bigbearballs
Well, had he gone to the jets, he could have been wearing green for a long time.
Chuckroast
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Bear8084 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Neither are we.

His staff helped us get a bowl win in only his 2nd year here.

And as usual, those who trashed him and jumped to conclusions his two seasons here are...doing the same thing now.
I nominate you President of the Pollyannas and EvilTroy can be Vice President in case you are out having a soft ice cream or chasing unicorns. Do I hear a second to the nomination?
. . . but you're ignoring the "turnaround" job he has done. He inherited a 7-6 team and went 7-6 in his second year. How can you not be psyched about that?
Lil Sebastian
Hotsauce said:

So all these people who trashed Rhule and said he was garbage are now upset that he decided to NOT bolt for the NFL? Gotcha.
I think you're talking about two different groups here.. I was all for Rhule up until this point, though I was definitely temporarily questioning the process after the wvu game. I was team Rhule before, but now I'm just team Baylor. His staying here will definitely bode well for the next season, but I have a lot less pride in having him as our coach. Just waiting for an ESPN announcement one day and hoping we'll have a good or better replacement by that point. This is appearing to be an annual thing. Everyone is acting like this should be expected of every coach and ignored by the fan base. That's not at all true. We aren't some G5 school that should be cool with our coach sending mixed signals every season. We have the talent and *ahem* salary at disposal to be able to recruit and keep a coach here for longer than 1-2 years. I want a coach who is proud to be here, and I imagine recruits do too.
BoonDockSaint
8 guys were interviewed for the Jets job

And we all know how internet rumors get tossed around

So im not believing anything other than he at least spoke with the Jets and he will remain at Baylor..

Or so it seems for at least another season

syme
Lol Rhule hates it here. Can't blame him..In coaching circles Baylor is known as a school who's administration is willing to take out a PR hit campaign against the players and staff before ever admitting their own faults.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
syme said:

Lol Rhule hates it here. Can't blame him..In coaching circles Baylor is known as a school who's administration is willing to take out a PR hit campaign against the players and staff before ever admitting their own faults.

I'm not sure him pursuing an NFL opportunity means that he hates it here. From my outsider perspective I think he enjoys Baylor....doesn't mean he won't look to advance though.
Bear8084
Chuckroast said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Bear8084 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Neither are we.

And as usual, those who trashed him and jumped to conclusions his two seasons here are...doing the same thing now.
I nominate you President of the Pollyannas and EvilTroy can be Vice President in case you are out having a soft ice cream or chasing unicorns. Do I hear a second to the nomination?
. . . but you're ignoring the "turnaround" job he has done. He inherited a 7-6 team and went 7-6 in his second year. How can you not be psyched about that?

Oversimplification of a post.
Chuckroast
syme said:

I'd love to talk to Grobe one day and get his take on his experience here and how different it was working at Baylor than any of his previous stops. He was a saint to take the job as he had to have the backs of his coaching staff and players against the assaults from our own leadership - the people that hired him.
LTbear
boognish_bear said:

syme said:

I'm not sure him pursuing an NFL opportunity means that he hates it here. From my outsider perspective I think he enjoys Baylor....doesn't mean he won't look to advance though.

Yep
BUmoneymaker
Lil Sebastian said:

Hotsauce said:

So all these people who trashed Rhule and said he was garbage are now upset that he decided to NOT bolt for the NFL? Gotcha.
I think you're talking about two different groups here.. I was all for Rhule up until this point, though I was definitely temporarily questioning the process after the wvu game. I was team Rhule before, but now I'm just team Baylor. His staying here will definitely bode well for the next season, but I have a lot less pride in having him as our coach. Just waiting for an ESPN announcement one day and hoping we'll have a good or better replacement by that point. This is appearing to be an annual thing. Everyone is acting like this should be expected of every coach and ignored by the fan base. That's not at all true. We aren't some G5 school that should be cool with our coach sending mixed signals every season. We have the talent and *ahem* salary at disposal to be able to recruit and keep a coach here for longer than 1-2 years. I want a coach who is proud to be here, and I imagine recruits do too.

Yes this 100%.

Non baylor fans like smoak (sorry but you dont have a dog in this fight), say its just business. However they fail to acknowledge that fanatics want loyalty. Hell, they just want people to do what they say. So far he fullfilled the bowl game challenge. However from now on everybody who bleeds green and gold knows hes for certain headed out sooner than later. So how do you get reved up for games and seasons when you know the writing is on the wall and there is another down period 12 to 24 months away?

Fanatics know they just passed though the worst experiences in baylor fb history. Players bought in into 2016 only to get crushed by the administration. Then more bought in, only to find out their leader would have left if he could have a say in personel decisions. Who in their right mind would get excited for this guy now? Recruiting matters and recruiting is going to flounder until he gives it 3 or 4 years of solid effort without playing both sides. Only then would fanatics and recruits "Trusttheprocess" again.

Yet It truly is just process now.

In jan 2020 will he or wont he

In jan 2021 will he or wont he

If its just business, and we are supposed to accept being a stepping stone every year at his blessed discretion, i say sooner than later and get it over with. What the fudge do I get as a fan out of knowing not only do we have a good coach but that he actually WANTS to leave. How the hell is that supposed to make a fanatic or a player feel better.

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
Osouno
What a tool, he needs to leave!
Bear8084
BUmoneymaker said:

Lil Sebastian said:

Hotsauce said:

Yes this 100%.

Non baylor fans like smoak (sorry but you dont have a dog in this fight), say its just business. However they fail to acknowledge that fanatics want loyalty. Hell, they just want people to do what they say. So far he fullfilled the bowl game challenge. However from now on everybody who bleeds green and gold knows hes for certain headed out sooner than later. So how do you get reved up for games and seasons when you know the writing is on the wall and there is another down period 12 to 24 months away?

Fanatics know they just passed though the worst experiences in baylor fb history. Players bought in into 2016 only to get crushed by the administration. Then more bought in, only to find out their leader would have left if he could have a say in personel decisions. Who in their right mind would get excited for this guy now? Recruiting matters and recruiting is going to flounder until he gives it 3 or 4 years of solid effort without playing both sides. Only then would fanatics and recruits "Trusttheprocess" again.

Yet It truly is just process now.

In jan 2020 will he or wont he

In jan 2021 will he or wont he

If its just business, and we are supposed to accept being a stepping stone every year at his blessed discretion, i say sooner than later and get it over with. What the fudge do I get as a fan out of knowing not only do we have a good coach but that he actually WANTS to leave. How the hell is that supposed to make a fanatic or a player feel better.

Pretty excited he stayed. I am for certain players and recruits are too. Saved for when recruiting doesn't flounder.
Chuckroast
Bear8084 said:

Chuckroast said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Bear8084 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Neither are we.

not really picking on you - I think your enthusiasm is good. I'll admit that I was spoiled by our previous success and am now ambivalent about the state of our program. It's the low information media that cracks me up by talking about what a "turnaround" Rhule has accomplished without noting that the improvement was between his horrible first year and second year . . . it's not like the program he inherited has been turned around. Our 2016 team was better than a 7-6 team but just had to endure merciless distractions that caused them to underachieve. Rhule inherited a talented but thin underachieving program with a winning tradition, new stadium, enthusiastic fan base and darn near killed what momentum we still had before bringing us back to mediocrity. The team might be able to keep improving if he seemed committed and happy to be here, but he's looking more and more like a mercenary.

I'm just not sure our ceiling is very high, and the problem as I see it is what great coach in their right mind would want to come here with the way we treated CAB and then Grobe and his team. Football is just entertainment, and it's just not terribly entertaining right now.
BUBBFAN
Doc Holliday said:

Proves he's stubborn.

He didn't take the job because they wouldn't agree to let him build his own staff. It's his way or the highway.

Why?
Doc Holliday said:

Proves he's stubborn.

Recruits are pissed why exactly? Because he insists on remaining loyal to his current coaching staff, so much that he's willing to throw away an NFL job?

Yes, a Baylor recruit is probably stewing right now because Rhule refused to cast aside the positions coach that recruited him. He'd much rather play for someone that's willing to dump his staff on a whim.

Having interest from an NFL team is a good thing, because it shows that executives think: A. he's a good coach and B. that he understands the NFL style and would translate well at that level. Kids want to play for someone that can get them to that level, and because they want to reach the NFL they also understand that a coach aspires to do the same.

Enough with the mental gymnastics. There's probably an old Stephenville game from the 90s you can check out on Youtube instead.
BUbearinARK
seems like more posters are pissed than recruits.
CoachHBU2008
BUbearinARK said:

Reverend said:

He's a temp. Everybody knows it.
Reverend, we're all temps on this world.

lol. Preach.
MilliVanilli
BUbearinARK said:

The Cabers hate him, they don't want him to stay and be a success, only griping about a new coach and continuing to pine for 2011 to 2015 will do for them.
Forest Bueller
Dman said:

Personally, glad he's staying. I want to see what he can do with a few more years. But cut this **** out every year. It will be used against us in recruiting.

And I better not hear.."see..he was never leaving". BS. He'd be gone if he was offered with right circumstances.

This needs to hit home. Hopefully he can give the Bears 3 more years, but I won't hold my breath.

He WILL be gone when the right circumstances unfold. Just the way it is.
BUmoneymaker
Sorry but there is nothing loyal here. He committed to not leaving this offseason, but just barely.

I mean, the jets let him pick personell and hes gone. That aint loyalty, thats admitting you are outta here as soon as you see something better.

He was almost there and now will bide his time selling a process (with an asterisk) to recruits and fans. Hardly anything to be excited about.

If he goes 3 years without playing this spectacle again and improves this team he might get some respect back. Until that happens no one can be faulted for discounting him. Sure its a business, but we dont have to be a patron if he doesnt want to set a good example.

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
Forest Bueller
MilliVanilli said:

BUbearinARK said:

The Cabers hate him, they don't want him to stay and be a success, only griping about a new coach and continuing to pine for 2011 to 2015 will do for them.
Mill, I want him to stay permanently, Waco just must not be his destination. I was hoping for a Teaff type situation, but with a better won/loss record. It's just not going to be.
MilliVanilli
Forest Bueller said:

MilliVanilli said:

BUbearinARK said:

Mill, I want him to stay permanently, Waco just must not be his destination. I was hoping for a Teaff type situation, but with a better won/loss record. It's just not going to be.
That's another era, unfortunately, and not likely.

5 years is pretty standard these days.

His predecessor had the opportunity to be a Teaff tenure but blew it.
boognish_bear
oldbear69
MilliVanilli said:

BUbearinARK said:

Milli,,,,,,,learn it ...know it,,,,live it....
GruntTuff
Screw him
GruntTuff
We are now the only program in the Big 12 and in Texas with a coach who obviously wants to move on.

You think that might be used against him. This is much different than last year.

MilliVanilli
oldbear69 said:

MilliVanilli said:

BUbearinARK said:

Milli,,,,,,,learn it ...know it,,,,live it....
It's fun watching the Cabers that always resented him invent new ways to be malcontents.
syme
The Jets didn't draft Sam Darnold so Nixon could come in and play TOP ball while the rest of the league is rapidly adopting air raid.
Bear8084
Chuckroast said:

Bear8084 said:

Chuckroast said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Bear8084 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Neither are we.

not really picking on you - I think your enthusiasm is good. I'll admit that I was spoiled by our previous success and am now ambivalent about the state of our program. It's the low information media that cracks me up by talking about what a "turnaround" Rhule has accomplished without noting that the improvement was between his horrible first year and second year . . . it's not like the program he inherited has been turned around. Our 2016 team was better than a 7-6 team but just had to endure merciless distractions that caused them to underachieve. Rhule inherited a talented but thin underachieving program with a winning tradition, new stadium, enthusiastic fan base and darn near killed what momentum we still had before bringing us back to mediocrity. The team might be able to keep improving if he seemed committed and happy to be here, but he's looking more and more like a mercenary.

I'm just not sure our ceiling is very high, and the problem as I see it is what great coach in their right mind would want to come here with the way we treated CAB and then Grobe and his team. Football is just entertainment, and it's just not terribly entertaining right now.

Lack of Institutional Control says CAB brought that allllll on himself.

Yeah...that 2017 season all wasn't on Rhule. Grobe barely held it together in 2016 and is a Baylor saint for doing so. Rhule did turn it around, it was more dire than what many on here realize. A festering rape scandal, a patchwork o-line, a new culture install, attitudes needed to be checked and mended, new system install, a whole recruiting class up and left so he had to hit the ground running when he got here, thin and inexperienced on defense other than Young, and other regular season distractions. All through that, that team still showed growth, and it continued into this season, with a bowl win. So I guess turn a blind eye to what he has done here and will continue to do so as long as he stays, the team and program have a high ceiling indeed.
MilliVanilli
GruntTuff said:

We are now the only program in the Big 12 and in Texas with a coach who obviously wants to move on.

You think that might be used against him. This is much different than last year.

Yeah, no one ever said Lincoln Riley was of interest to the NFL or that Gundy wanted out at Okie Lite.

Cool your panties.

I realize you Cabers hate Rhule, but at least try and pretend to be rational about as to why.
PartyBear
Is it not customary for the GM and owner to have a huge say if not ultimate say in who the HC's staff is? Exception being long time HCs such as the Bellichek's out there and Coughlin (who is also the GM at Jacksonville). The NFL HCs don't have the freedom HCs at the college level typically have.
Bear8084
syme said:

The Jets didn't draft Sam Darnold so Nixon could come in and play TOP ball while the rest of the league is rapidly adopting air raid.

We run a spread offense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.