Football
Sponsored by

Baylor adds Texas Southern to 2021 Football Schedule

12,985 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ShooterTX
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bear8084 said:

Just showing Rhoades is doing what he needs to be doing. Those complaining about this game against TSU are forgetting the big P5s that are also coming up and trying to use this game as a way to criticize the AD now when there really doesn't need to be any criticism.

Some people just like to criticize. They don't necessarily need a legitimate reason (& often don't have one).
drahthaar
I guess N or S Dakota State we're tied up combining or hunting pheasant?

My tix in 308 are already for sale on this one.
BU82EX
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Yogi said:

I am now a Texas Southern fan for the next couple of years.

(Plus my intern is attending there)
Milli is about to send you a very seemingly condescending and very confusing insult. Bank on it.
Troll alert. Don't scratch the rash...
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
BU82EX said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Yogi said:

Milli is about to send you a very seemingly condescending and very confusing insult. Bank on it.
Hugs and kisses, Sunshine!!!

You are sure delicate. Pump that sunshine, Baby!!! Mack Rhoades schedules Texas Southern and I'm a troll? Whatever dude.

I think weak sister scheduling in the Rhule era makes a WHOLE lot more sense than it did in the Briles era.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Bear8084
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BU82EX said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Yogi said:

You are sure delicate. Pump that sunshine, Baby!!! Mack Rhoades schedules Texas Southern and I'm a troll? Whatever dude.

I think weak sister scheduling in the Rhule era makes a WHOLE lot more sense than it did in the Briles era.

He also scheduled Auburn and Oregon.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Bear8084 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BU82EX said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Yogi said:

I have heard through the grapevine that he is going to schedule Ohio State for a home and home starting in 2038. Real close to closing the deal. Hopefully Armageddon doesn't come first. God willing.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Media Bear
BUbackerinET said:

This is disappointing, especially for us season ticket holders, many of whom got a royal screwing in reseating. There are lots of good fcs schools to schedule, this is just not one of them - can't compare them to Grambling - Grambling has a winning tradition, and almost always fields a very good team...
Not sure that even Grambling (a Joe-average SWAC program at present) -- much less TSU -- rises to the level of what BU should be scheduling either. Grambling is the kind of school that gets butt-blasted by the likes of past BU non-con fodder such as Northwestern State (last year 34-7), yet beat Texas Southern 34-21. In other words, the patsies on BU's schedule usually crush Grambling, though they typically hang tough against their true peers once the season gets going (6-5 overall, 4-3 in SWAC in 2018).

As for Texas Southern, well, they're simply just gawd-awful by any measure. Even by SWAC standards. They royally suck against most schools that even field a football program -- and last year's 2-9 showing (1-6 in SWAC) is no exception. Houston boat raced them 70-14 last season and and SHSU bushwhacked them 66-17 back in 2016. A score like this is basically the baseline Baylor needs to meet when we take them on.

The era of Baylor taking on at least one "competitive" non-con EVERY season really doesn't start until 2020 (Ole Miss -- seems were taking a break this season after 2 years of Dook), so at least this really can't be considered a continuation of non-con scheduling weakness (as we have BYU at home in 2021 when Texas Southern comes 'round). That said, they are a patsy even for patsies -- and IMO I think fan disappointment with scheduling a team this noncompetitive is more than warranted.

We can and should do better than TSU when it comes to football scheduling. This is Incarnate Word-level bad (a school with a 6,000-seat home stadium and only 3 winning seasons in its short 11-year history). Interestingly enough (though just barely), one telling sign of how bad this scheduling truly is for BU will take place Sept. 7 when TSU travels to San Antonio to face IWU for one of the classic pillow fights of the early 2019 college football season.

P.S: I give the edge to IWU against TSU in that one by at least two TDs as IWU -- to their credit and like Grambling -- at least has become competitive against their conference foes (although perennial patsies like New Mexico and UNT continue to more than double the score on them). At their very best, I see IWU giving BU an SFA-level fight when that game rolls around next season, while TSU ... that 2021 slaughter may have to be called before regulation time expires, as the violence levels foisted upon that team may rise to felony-level assault.
Thee University
Competitors want to compete versus the very best. Competitors want to beat the very best. Competitors want to hold their head up high and know they have been given an opportunity to show the nation just how good this little Baptist school is.

Alumni want a game we can brag about. A road trip we can enjoy playing in a venue that has housed great traditions.

This is Incarnate Word level BS.

The teams that you limp-wrists mention as playing weak teams have EARNED that right. They are not lifetime .509 programs working their way up the blue blood ladder. They are already there!
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Bear8084
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Bear8084 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BU82EX said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Yogi said:

I have heard through the grapevine that he is going to schedule Ohio State for a home and home starting in 2038. Real close to closing the deal. Hopefully Armageddon doesn't come first. God willing.

But he actually scheduled those. The P5 game requirements of the Big 12 were already met for the upcoming seasons, he went out and got two solid home and homes for more seasons.
Redbrickbear
Ian scheduling those cupcakes again......oh wait
Redbrickbear
Seriously

I never understood why people on here got their panties in a bunch about teams like this.

We play 9 power five schools every year. The SEC only plays 8.

But I do wish we would stick with decent local Texas schools (not the TSU and Incarnate word types)

Sam Houston, Texas State, UNT, SFA, Rice, SMU, Lamar, UTSA, UTEP...........these are all acceptable local Texas college teams.

Just sign them all up on a rotating basis for the next 30 years and that will be good with me.
BiPolarBear
Thee University said:

jackets320 said:

Hey, Thee and X, are Ian and Art back. Who is scheduling these cupcakes? Where is the outrage now with whoever is AD and coach at the present time?
The outrage is right here! I'm speechless. I will never understand this tactic. It is humiliating.

I'll bet it was primarily scheduled to get the Ocean of Soul in Waco

Can the band do more than beat the drums?
Malbec
Quote:

This is Incarnate Word-level bad...
Incarnate Word was 3-0 VS. Guy Morriss.
Thee University
BiPolarBear said:

Thee University said:

jackets320 said:

Hey, Thee and X, are Ian and Art back. Who is scheduling these cupcakes? Where is the outrage now with whoever is AD and coach at the present time?
The outrage is right here! I'm speechless. I will never understand this tactic. It is humiliating.

Can the band do more than beat the drums?
Not sure. A better halftime would have been Prairie View A&M.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Baylorbears111
Redbrickbear said:

Seriously

I never understood why people on here got their panties in a bunch about teams like this.

We play 9 power five schools every year. The SEC only plays 8.

But I do wish we would stick with decent local Texas schools (not the TSU and Incarnate word types)

Sam Houston, Texas State, UNT, SFA, Rice, SMU, Lamar, UTSA, UTEP...........these are all acceptable local Texas college teams.

Just sign them all up on a rotating basis for the next 30 years and that will be good with me.
This isn't an apt comparison. We were required to play 9 P5 games because the SEC champion will have played 9 P5. It isn't about comparing everyone else, it is about comparing the conference champions for playoff purposes. Now that the Big 12 has a championship again the champion will have played 10 P5 games.

Otherwise, I largely agree with you about the teams you listed as being the only acceptable local Texas non-con fodder. If it were my choice we would primarily schedule between SMU or Rice for as long as they want a non-con series for one of our non-P5 slots. It does us no good to play below any of the teams you listed (and I would drop Lamar from that list as well). Baylor should be good enough to beat any of those teams, year in and year out. The nation-wide sports media is not going to Baylor any grief over scheduling SMU and Rice in the non-con so long as we have a P5 non-con lined up, those other games against SWC foes are good for the fans and those are our historical peers. We don't have time for the rest of the riff-raff.
BearlyBeloved
Thee University said:

jackets320 said:

Timing is everything. The Ocean of Soul never would have invited back when Baylor still banned dancing on campus. Without timing, there is no rhythm.

P.S. Since they wear maroon, might any of them be invited to transfer to the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band??

Wichitabear
Yes but I personally can't wait to see the Ocean of Soul perform. Really. It won' t hurt us to play Texas Southern. Chill
Wichitabear
Lol uh you and I will probably be gone by then. Please don't cut in front of me in line because I don't want to stand there that long while God is giving you a lecture.
USNA82
Hmmm. I don't like this as a season ticket holder. I think it should be a build-up process leading into league play. The first game of the season should be against a weak sister but helps you in a recruiting base area - Texas State, ACU UTEP, etc. to get everyone prepped. Nonconference game two should be competitive and should be a two year contract home and away - Vanderbilt, Duke, LaTech, Pitt, USF, UCF, Boise State, New Mexico, Service Academies. By non-conference week three you should be playing a headliner in the top 25 either at a neutral site or a two-year contract home and away - Ole Miss, Miss State, Penn State, UCLA - to get your nationwide brand out there. Playing these weak sisters in the middle of the season isn't for me. Let's move past the lost season of 2017 and make Baylor a team that people want to watch again. Just my opinion.
Timbear
When you wind up 5-7, and miss a bowl, people don't say," O but wait, it's ok, remember Baylor lost to ". 3 easy ones, 9 conf, bowl game. It's a good formula.
BearlyBeloved
USNA82 said:

Playing these weak sisters in the middle of the season isn't for me.
Duh, the game is on September 11,2021, not mid-season.
Redbrickbear
Timbear said:

When you wind up 5-7, and miss a bowl, people don't say," O but wait, it's ok, remember Baylor lost to ". 3 easy ones, 9 conf, bowl game. It's a good formula.
^^^this^^^

Give me a schedule of SFA, Texas State, SMU.....or something similar.....then conference play every year and I would love it.

ESPN can suck it
xiledinok
Redbrickbear said:

Timbear said:

^^^this^^^

Give me a schedule of SFA, Texas State, SMU.....or something similar.....then conference play every year and I would love it.

ESPN can suck it

Art felt the same way but those who own the show make the rules. He is now sucking on the "Face of Rape" rootin tootin Texas scumbag high school ball coach known for harassing Brenda (she won their idiot battle).

Just look at it like a Trump beauty pageant and Art as the stupid contestant that doesn't follow Trump's rules.
Eventually, Trump shows the stupid one who is boss and the stupid one ends up being portrayed as the ugliest, dumbest son of a ***** that every participated in a beauty pageant.

The rule is to play 1 Power 5 a season. That's it. Our former regime was too derped to even have the balls to schedule 1.
Thee University
I knew there were a multitude of you on 365 but it appears I misjudged just how soft Baylor fans/supporters truly are.

It is great to see that so many of you are not shy about showing the world you possess the weakest of pencil necks, the limpest of wrists and the softest dishwater hands. At least you are proud to be recognized as such and we know who you are.

Texas Southern, Stephen F, La Tech and Incarnate Word? The horror!
Dia del DougO
They must already anticipate Briles being back by then after Rhule is named head coach of the New York Giants.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Bubear2020
The only difference between McCaw and Rhodes is the non conference P5 Rhodes scheduled are set in stone. The game we have against Ole Miss has not been finalized. If you schedule someone you have to nail it down right off the bat so they can't back out. Or get to the year y'all are supposed to play and not have that game finalized resulting in an last minute FCS matchup
Oldbear83
historian said:

Bear8084 said:

Just showing Rhoades is doing what he needs to be doing. Those complaining about this game against TSU are forgetting the big P5s that are also coming up and trying to use this game as a way to criticize the AD now when there really doesn't need to be any criticism.

Some people just like to criticize. They don't necessarily need a legitimate reason (& often don't have one).
And as if on cue, in comes Thee to prove historian right.
BaylorRocks
Alabama's 2019/20 schedule:

8/31 Duke *****
9/07 New Mexico State ****
9/14 South Carolina
9/21 Southern Mississippi ****
9/28 Mississippi
10/12 Texas A&M
10/19 Tennessee
10/26 Arkansas
11/09 LSU
11/16 Mississippi State
11/23 Western Carolina ****
11/30 Auburn

Any questions? I didn't think so.....
Aberzombie1892
zunooreo said:

8/31 Duke *****
9/14 South Carolina
9/28 Mississippi
10/12 Texas A&M
10/19 Tennessee
10/26 Arkansas
11/09 LSU
11/16 Mississippi State
11/30 Auburn

This out of conference schedule is tougher than any of Baylor's that did not have a P5.
Wichitabear
Wow. That's their schedule!!! I sure hope they will be able to handle it ! What a joke!
MrGolfguy
Duke, NM St, and So. Miss are legit or semi-legit opponents. Western Carolina? Not
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BaylorRocks
Aberzombie1892 said:

zunooreo said:

8/31 Duke *****
9/14 South Carolina
9/28 Mississippi
10/12 Texas A&M
10/19 Tennessee
10/26 Arkansas
11/09 LSU
11/16 Mississippi State
11/30 Auburn

This out of conference schedule is tougher than any of Baylor's that did not have a P5.
Its Alabama - so its a relative comparison point. Pull up any of the top programs - everyone has cake on their schedule - that's the point. I can understand how you (most) didn't grasp that in this post first pass.
Baylor3216
Please tell me we're being punkd

We're being punkd right?

Right?
perrynative
None of the tide foes are tsu material. No excuse for tsu. Shsu and plenty of other more competent fcs were available.
BU82EX
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Bear8084 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

BU82EX said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Yogi said:

Sorry "dude", but you are a troll. When EVERYTHING in EVERY post is overwhelmingly negative it is clear that what generates pleasure for you is ripping everything Baylor. Pretty sad way to go through life, but that is what a troll chooses to do. Call me what you want, but I support Baylor University and choose to defend the program in the face of trolls like you. Doesn't mean I agree with everything the BOR or AD or Coach does, but I'm sure going to defend my school against a troll from Stephenville. A troll is predictable in their hate...and you are very predictable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.