Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

ESPN lists Baylor as a team that could cause national chaos

October 8, 2019

On Monday, ESPN writer Bill Connelly wrote an article titled The teams, players and chaos scenarios that can upend college football. The article highlights many teams and players that will have an opportunity to create havoc around the college football landscape. 

Baylor was mentioned in this excerpt from the article which details Oklahoma’s treacherous path through the Big 12 schedule. The Bears are considered the toughest game remaining on the schedule for the Sooners.

The Big 12's average SP+ rating is currently 12.6 adjusted points per game, just a point behind the SEC's (13.4). Although the league has only one top-10 team to the SEC's five, its depth is astounding: Six teams rank between 14th and 33rd, and a seventh isn't far behind (No. 41 Kansas State).

This is making for one heckuva title game race. Even if we hand Oklahoma one of the two spots, the favorite for the other spot shifts from week to week. Texas and Baylor are tied with Oklahoma at 2-0, four teams are 1-1, and SP+ projects three with between 5.5 and 6.4 average conference wins. This is a delightful mess that could go down to the wire.

This constant quality also could mean trouble for OU, even if the Sooners, at No. 3 in SP+, are a step ahead overall. Their average projected win total in conference play is 7.6 games, and though they're favored in every remaining regular-season contest, SP+ gives them a 68% to 77% chance in four games:

• Week 7: Oklahoma vs. Texas -- 77% OU win probability
• Week 11: Iowa State at Oklahoma -- 77% OU win probability
• Week 12: Oklahoma at Baylor -- 68% OU win probability
• Week 14: Oklahoma at Oklahoma State -- 74% OU win probability

Odds of winning all four of those games? Just 30%. Chances of going 10-2 or worse overall: 41%.

For chaos lovers who regard wild seasons such as 2007 as the be-all and end-all of the sport, there still is hope. Maybe not much hope, but hope.

We have to acknowledge, though, that while we almost never get to the finish line with three or more unbeatens, we did have three last season. We did in 2004 and 2009, too.

By this point in the 2018 season, Clemson was finished with close games. The Tigers won every game by 20-plus points from this point forward. Alabama didn't win a game by fewer than 22 points until the SEC title game against Georgia. Notre Dame, though not on Clemson's or Alabama's level, flirted with defeat only one more time, and that was against constant chaos agent Pitt. These teams could be gearing up to dominate once more down the stretch.

In addition to the team being mentioned as potential spoilers for a top team in the country, Baylor’s Bravvion Roy was highlighted in a section that detailed top players from likely noncontenders.

Defensive tackle: Bravvion Roy (Baylor): Who doesn't love a good bowling ball in the middle? The 6-foot-1, 333-pound senior has 4.5 TFLs, plus a sack and three hurries for a Baylor defense that might be the Big 12's best.

The 23rd-ranked Baylor Bears are starting to get the national audiences attention with how they have played through the first five games of the season. If the Bears keep winning the notice will continue to rise. Baylor takes on the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Saturday at McLane Stadium.

Tags: Football, Baylor
Discussion from...

ESPN lists Baylor as a team that could cause national chaos

10,069 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Who doesn't love a good bowling ball in the middle? "

Golden!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
boognish_bear
"for a Baylor defense that might be the Big 12's best."

A sentence that I haven't ever heard before.
Jokerman
boognish_bear said:

Even for a five-minute stretch since the Big XII's inception, we've not ever been able to say that.
Len Richard
That Bravvion "Bowling Ball" Roy is a True Wrecking Machine even when he's getting double and triple teamed,
he seriously is making James Lynch and the Linebackers shine beyond their years....Can't wait to see him on Sunday's.....So happy he stayed LOYAL to the Program after all the Turmoil in 2016!!!
whitetrash
Jokerman said:

boognish_bear said:

Even for a five-minute stretch since the Big XII's inception, we've not ever been able to say that.
Goal line stand against #1 KSt in 2012 is as close as we ever came.
historian
Baylor has has a few great goal line stands in recent years. Here's probably the best:

The 2013 OU game had another fine example, deserving at least an honorable mention:

adambear
Week 7: Oklahoma vs. Texas -- 77% OU win probability
Week 11: Iowa State at Oklahoma -- 77% OU win probability
Week 12: Oklahoma at Baylor -- 68% OU win probability
Week 14: Oklahoma at Oklahoma State -- 74% OU win probability

Greater chance to lose to us than Texas? Wow.

For the record, I think Texas has much better than a 23% chance to beat OU Saturday. 50-50.
Johnny Bear
adambear said:

Week 7: Oklahoma vs. Texas -- 77% OU win probability
Week 11: Iowa State at Oklahoma -- 77% OU win probability
Week 12: Oklahoma at Baylor -- 68% OU win probability
Week 14: Oklahoma at Oklahoma State -- 74% OU win probability

Greater chance to lose to us than Texas? Wow.

For the record, I think Texas has much better than a 23% chance to beat OU Saturday. 50-50.
Probably the main explanation for that is the fact that we have home field vs. OU and the game with UT is on a neutral field.
Johnny Bear
historian said:

Baylor has has a few great goal line stands in recent years. Here's probably the best:

The 2013 OU game had another fine example, deserving at least an honorable mention:

Good memories. Despite all the criticism of Phil Bennett, that 2013 team definitely had some players on it (Lackey, Dixon, Billings and Hagar to name four) and other than a couple of games they played well enough to more than support an offense that was capable of scoring half a hundred on most teams. The same could be said for the 2014 defense in addition.
Porteroso
Great to read. Hopefully we live up to the hype.

OU does have flaws, and the fact that we get them at home gives us a great shot.

I do think the SEC is really good, but it's disgusting how many SEC teams are in the top 10. Not deserved at all. Here's to a Baylor top 10 if we can win the next 2 games. (just hoping here)
historian
Although I like the idea, I don't think we will be top 10 until we are at least 8-0, maybe 9-0. Heck, we might have to be 10-0 (meaning a win over OU) to get there. The media SEC droolfest is disgusting but it is also an annual event. It is also doesn't matter a whole lot as more of them rack up the losses. But they may have to wait until November.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.