Football
Sponsored by

Week 12 bowl projections

14,947 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can Jalen transfer back to Alabama before the CCG?
Booray
Aberzombie1892 said:

Baylor has no shot at the Cotton Bowl. If Baylor wins the Big 12, it's going to the Sugar Bowl, and, if Baylor beats Texas and Kansas and loses to OU, it will probably be ranked outside the top 12. That doesn't even contemplate whether there would be an at-large P5 ranked higher than Baylor - something that appears to be a foregone conclusion at this point.
Don't see why not. if OU does not get in to the CFP. that means 12-1 PAC-12 is likely there with 13-0 LSU, tOSU and Clemson.

The line-up is then:

Rose Utah as Pac-12 runner up v. PSU as second best Big10
Sugar OU v. GA as SEC runner up.
Orange Wake as second best ACC v. Bama as SEC third
Cotton ??? v. Group of 5.

??? would be 10-2 Florida, 11-2 (at best) Minnesota, 10-3 (at best) Wisconsin or 9-3 (at best) Michigan, or 11-2 BU.

Our P-5 wins would likely be over 8-4 OSU, 8-4 ISU, 7-5 KSU, 7-5 UT and 6-6 TCU, 4-8 Tech, 4- 8 WVU and 3-9 KU. Our losses would be twice to a number 5 or 6 OU, hopefully both close.

Florida P-5 wins would likely be 8-4 Auburn, 8-4 Miami, 7-5 Ky, 6-6 Tenn, 6-6 Mizzou, 6-6 FSU, 4-8 S. Car., and 3-9 Vandy. Florida losses by 14 at #1 or 2 LSU and by 7 neutral site to a #7 or 8 Georgia.

Wisconsin p-5 wins would be 10-2 Minn, 9-3 Iowa, 9-3 Mich, 6-6 MSU, 5-7 Neb, 4-8 Purdue and 2-10 Northwestern. Lost badly at #1/2 tOSU (hopefully twice) and close loss to an improved but only average Illinois. Better top end wins,but one more loss to an average team and not a very deep schedule.

Minnesota P-5 wins would be 10-2 PSU, 9-3 Wisc, 7-5 Illinois, 5-7 Nebraska, 4-8 Purdue, 3-9 Maryland, 2-10 Rutgers and 2-10 Northwestern. Losses at Iowa and to #1/2 tOSU. Again, better top end wins but only 3 of them.

Michigan p-5 wins would be 10-2 Notre Dame, 9-3 Iowa, 8-4 Indiana, 7-5 Illinois, 6-6 MSU, 3-9 Maryland, 2-10 Rutgers with a blow out loss to Wisconsin, loss to PSU and tOSU.

Pretty similar resumes. Cotton Bowl would probably lobby for us.
Aberzombie1892
New Years Six
Fiesta Bowl - semifinal
Peach Bowl - semifinal
Sugar Bowl - SEC #1 vs Big 12 #1
Rose Bowl - PAC #1 vs B1G #1
Orange Bowl - ACC #1 vs SEC/B1G/ND
Cotton Bowl - G5 bid vs at large

If Oklahoma makes the CFP, there is no way for Baylor to make the Cotton Bowl since:
1. The team that loses to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game is going to the Sugar Bowl period.
2. Baylor would have to lose to both Texas and Kansas to not make the Big 12 title game, and, if Baylor lost to both Texas and Kansas, it has no shot at being ranked in the final CFP top #12.

If Baylor wins out, it's going to the Sugar Bowl as the #1 Big 12 team.

If Oklahoma wins out and doesn't make the CFP, it's going to the Sugar Bowl as the #1 Big 12 team. Given that Baylor was ranked #13 prior to losing to Oklahoma and would lose again to Oklahoma in this scenario, there are not many teams currently ranked above Baylor that would fall below Baylor before the final CFP rankings.

Hypothetically speaking, Baylor could be ranked anywhere from #14-17 in the rankings revealed today, and, if Baylor beats Texas, Texas will have 5 losses and virtually no chance of being ranked in the final CFP rankings, and, assuming Baylor beats Texas and Kansas, Baylor would not move up much in the rankings due to neither of those wins being of a high quality. Another loss to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game would move Baylor down in the rankings, and, as a result, it wouldn't be too surprising to see Baylor ranked #13-16 in the final CFP rankings with an 11-2 record. If this seems unbelievable, 2018 11-2 Washington State didn't play any P5s out of conference and finished at #13 in the final CFP rankings - behind 9-3 Penn State, 9-3 LSU, 9-3 Florida, and 10-3 Washington. They would have made a NY6 bowl if they had been ranked one spot higher. Following the approach that was established last season, it would be unlikely that Baylor would be ranked above all of the teams with one more loss than it has, so, if Baylor has 2 losses, expect several 3 loss teams that played P5s out of conference to be in front in the final rankings.

Long story short, it's not happening.
boognish_bear
LTbear
boognish_bear said:

This dude seems like an idiot
boognish_bear
LTbear said:

boognish_bear said:

He tweets a lot of dumb stuff
MommaBear
Cotton would be nice, but I still have nightmares of the Mich State game. The OU game reminded me a lot of the Cotton Bowl.
whitetrash
LTbear said:

boognish_bear said:

I read that tweet hearing a Sally Struthers voice sobbing through a Save the Children commercial
historian
LTbear said:

boognish_bear said:

I bet he bleeds red and white. No, wait....
Aliceinbubbleland
historian said:

LTbear said:

boognish_bear said:

Are y'all overlooking the fact that Oregon lost to Auburn this year?
historian
I'm just making a lame joke about Alabama fans including those in the media.
boognish_bear
He's got BU vs Wash in Alamo

historian
I can think of other bowls I would prefer but I'm OK with that. I don't think it will be the shootout it was last time.
Stefano DiMera
Alamo Bowl wouldn't want that. Thats a rematch..a distant one nonetheless
historian
I wondered about that. It would make more sense to have at least one different team. I'd prefer Utah or Oregon even though we already have both on our future schedules.
LTbear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

historian said:

LTbear said:

boognish_bear said:

Are y'all overlooking the fact that Oregon lost to Auburn this year?

I'm calling the tweeter an idiot for believing Alabama with a weakass schedule, one top 25 win, and no conference title would be a stronger playoff team than a conference champion Oregon that would be fresh off a top 10 win and 12 straight wins.
BiPolarBear
BellCountyBear said:

I'd like a chance at redemption in the Cotton.
It goes further back than just the Michigan State game in 2015. I was in the Cotton Bowl when we lost to Penn State in 1975 and then again when we lost to Alabama in 1981. We are 0 and 3 in Cotton Bowl games and I would like to see us win it just once while I am still on this earth.
BellCountyBear
BiPolarBear said:

BellCountyBear said:

I'd like a chance at redemption in the Cotton.
It goes further back than just the Michigan State game in 2015. I was in the Cotton Bowl when we lost to Penn State in 1975 and then again when we lost to Alabama in 1981. We are 0 and 3 in Cotton Bowl games and I would like to see us win it just once while I am still on this earth.
Did I say anything about Michigan State? I just want to win the Cotton because it's the Cotton.
Dia del DougO
Memphis is good. And they would be my next pick for expansion as well. Should have added them a couple years ago while they were on the rise, as long as we were going with the goofy CCG.
Dia del DougO
FudgePac will probably knock themsevles out of CFP.. Seems to be their way, and nobody really wants them in anyway. Media would love to make room for more SEC SEC SEC!
Bearsnarl
I'm in Florida, and I go lethal when I hear SECSECSEC.SUCSUCSUC!

And when we lost to gawdawful, nasty fans UCF, my hernia got caught in my ulcer!

Just go to a bowl and beat **** out of somebody!
guadalupeoso
If we can't get the Sugar Bowl, I would prefer to play a bigger brand in a slightly lesser bowl like the Alamo Bowl than play a smaller brand in a bigger bowl like the Cotton. Don't get me wrong, Memphis/Cincinnati are both very good teams and would be a challenge, just feel like we would have everything to lose and nothing to gain in a matchup like that, i.e. the power 5 vs. group of 5 distinction. Plus, I still have nightmares from the Fiesta Bowl in 2013.

However, a win over a Pac 12 team with a history like USC (although somewhat middling this year), I think would establish some solid momentum going into next year and would put a little more positive national attention on Baylor, which we can always use.
Stefano DiMera
Can we get Vanderbilt bowl eligible..i like how we match up against them!
historian
In 1985 Baylor beat the Trojans in Cali.
Aberzombie1892
guadalupeoso said:

If we can't get the Sugar Bowl, I would prefer to play a bigger brand in a slightly lesser bowl like the Alamo Bowl than play a smaller brand in a bigger bowl like the Cotton. Don't get me wrong, Memphis/Cincinnati are both very good teams and would be a challenge, just feel like we would have everything to lose and nothing to gain in a matchup like that, i.e. the power 5 vs. group of 5 distinction. Plus, I still have nightmares from the Fiesta Bowl in 2013.

However, a win over a Pac 12 team with a history like USC (although somewhat middling this year), I think would establish some solid momentum going into next year and would put a little more positive national attention on Baylor, which we can always use.
Agreed.

And, again, Baylor has no path to the Cotton Bowl, so there is no real point in focusing on that anyway, and, unless the wheels completely fall off during the final two regular season games, the expected outcome should be either the Alamo Bowl or Sugar Bowl.

Aliceinbubbleland
historian said:

That USC team finished 6-6. They weren't that great.
whitetrash
Aliceinbubbleland said:

historian said:

That USC team finished 6-6. They weren't that great.
Much like LSU's win in Austin this year. USC was ranked #3 at the time.
sanfranciscobear
I was there. USC was ranked #2 or #3. What a stunned crowd! It was such fun.
Aliceinbubbleland
sanfranciscobear said:

I was there. USC was ranked #2 or #3. What a stunned crowd! It was such fun.
Just shows how little meaning early season polls mean. True it was a stunning win. One I'd give anything for today but the fact is USC wasn't that good and the loss to them in Waco was simply really really unimaginal.
guadalupeoso
My uncle was the Bear trainer for Chamber back then and was at the game as well. Said it was incredible to see that unenthusiastic of a crowd at such a historic program.
S11
Staff
Assuming nobody makes the playoff we'll likely see:

BU or OU in the Sugar

The loser of the title game in the Alamo. Likely against SC or Washington unless the P12 gets shut out of the playoff. If they get a team in the title game loser goes to the Rose. If they don't they'll likely be in San Antonio.

Camping World picks next. I think ND will be here for them to pick and I can imagine this being a made for TV pairing with Texas. I could also see them select ISU who travels really well.

Texas Bowl: All over Bevo against an SEC team if available. TCU or Tech have the inside track if bowl eligible or OkSt if not likely if UT is already off the board.

Liberty: Gotta think ISU is off the board but they'd be first call. KSU next. All others likely left here are backup options.

Cheezit: There probably won't be a P12 opponent here. So we are probably looking at whoever is left Vs Boise, San Diego State, or AFA.

First Responder Bowl gets the scraps.
Jack Bauer
6 teams currently bowl eligible.

TCU has to beat either OU or WVa to get in.

I could see Tech, WVa and Ku being the ones left out.
S11
Staff
Jack Bauer said:

6 teams currently bowl eligible.

TCU has to beat either OU or WVa to get in.

I could see Tech, WVa and Ku being the ones left out.

TCU has to win one game.

Tech has to win both.

Odds are that TCU gets it done Vs WVU a d Tech drops one Vs UT or KSU.

Right now I project TCU as a bowl team giving the league 7 teams for 7 bids.
BUbackerinET
I don't think the Cotton is right unless we finish third, think 2nd place B12 goes to the Alamo, 3rd to the Cotton, I thought...
S11
Staff
BUbackerinET said:

I don't think the Cotton is right unless we finish third, think 2nd place B12 goes to the Alamo, 3rd to the Cotton, I thought...

Cotton isn't a Big 12 tie in anymore. It's a NY6.

So in years where the Playoff has the Fiesta and Peach as semifinals like this one we'll see the others break down like this:

Rose: Best non playoff teams from Big Ten and P12

Sugar: Big 12 champ or next in standings Vs SEC champ or next highest ranked by playoff committee

Orange: ACC champ or next highest ranked Vs whoever is highest ranked of the still available teams out of the SEC, Big Ten, or Notre Dame.

Cotton: Only one without specific tie ins so they get the highest ranked AAC, MWC, Sun Belt, MAC, or CUSA champ. They will pair them with a very highly ranked at-large. Not sure if they have to take the highest ranking available or if they can have any leeway.

So only way BU makes the Cotton is losing the B12 title game but being ranked top ten. Unlikely given how much the committee seems to overly despise Baylor and it's resume so far.

Likeliest bet is Sugar or Alamo pending result of Big 12 title game. Win and sugar, lose and Alamo. Next most likely is a date in Orlando probably against ND.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.