Football
Sponsored by

Texas A&M's move to the SEC has impacted the recruiting landscape in Texas

10,112 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OldBurlyBear86
Ursus Americanus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grumpy said:

So it appears that Baylor and LSU are tied as the second biggest beneficiaries of A&M's move to the SEC. Is this correct?
An astute observation.

Funny thing is, they love to tell the yarn that we sued them and tried to prevent them from leaving. Well, no one has benefited more from Aggy's departure than us...that and all the ranked teams that find themselves on the A&M schedule.
KajunKarlsdad
TeamPlayer said:

Hey, I enjoy kicking A&M right now too, but I'm afraid we are going to see them take the next step in 2020. If you think their "former students" are annoying now, wait until they win the SEC. It might make me move out of Texas again.
You'll NEVER have to worry about that happening. LSU and Bama will keep them from winning the west.
Ursus Americanus
KajunKarlsdad said:

TeamPlayer said:

Hey, I enjoy kicking A&M right now too, but I'm afraid we are going to see them take the next step in 2020. If you think their "former students" are annoying now, wait until they win the SEC. It might make me move out of Texas again.
You'll NEVER have to worry about that happening. LSU and Bama will keep them from winning the west.
Yep, they will never exceed the 2012 campaign, and even that was only good enough for third best in the SEC West.
historian
gobears20 said:

How Texas Longhorn of them: tons of great recruits with nothing much to show for it.

Quote:

Oh yes, also tons of money.

They spent almost twice as much $$$ to refurbish Kyle Field (adding 10k seats) than we did on brand new McLane Stadium (with 10k fewer seats the Floyd Casey)--and it is a far more aesthetically pleasing stadium. We have 2 conference titles, a runner up, and three 11-win seasons in the past decade (plus a couple 10 win seasons). We've also had a bunch of other accomplishments for the team including records broken. The Aggies are stuck in mediocrity (aided by playing 3 creampuffs every year, one in November) and will likely be lucky if they can get 9 wins in any given year. Our floor this year might be 8-9 wins.

That said, I really wish we could get a home & home with them: our last Aggie game was 2011 and we lost big despite having an arguably better team. For most of the years since, I think we've had a better team & probably would have beaten them. I want to see some Baylor wins over the Aggies--in both stadiums.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Johnny Bear
historian said:

gobears20 said:

How Texas Longhorn of them: tons of great recruits with nothing much to show for it.

Quote:

Oh yes, also tons of money.

They spent almost twice as much $$$ to refurbish Kyle Field (adding 10k seats) than we did on brand new McLane Stadium (with 10k fewer seats the Floyd Casey)--and it is a far more aesthetically pleasing stadium. We have 2 conference titles, a runner up, and three 11-win seasons in the past decade (plus a couple 10 win seasons). We've also had a bunch of other accomplishments for the team including records broken. The Aggies are stuck in mediocrity (aided by playing 3 creampuffs every year, one in November) and will likely be lucky if they can get 9 wins in any given year. Our floor this year might be 8-9 wins.

That said, I really wish we could get a home & home with them: our last Aggie game was 2011 and we lost big despite having an arguably better team. For most of the years since, I think we've had a better team & probably would have beaten them. I want to see some Baylor wins over the Aggies--in both stadiums.

While I appreciate your optimism, the way our schedule lays out, our floor is lower than 8-9 wins, and we'll do well to get to that level. As far as ever playing the aggys again (at least in the regular season) I agree with Kim Mulkey. Neither us nor any of the other Texas Big 12 school should ever be a party to giving them another inexpensive appearance within the state, thereby at least indirectly helping their recruiting and by extension helping the SEC. They turned their backs on their own traditions and in the process helped almost destroy the Big 12 which would've subjugated us to G5 status. They don't want to play in the Big 12 and I think we should continue to enthusiastically grant them their wish based on principle.
historian
You have a point.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
OldBurlyBear86
That was my quote on BFans, slightly different nic bc that mean personal made a derogatory homo reference about a moderator.

Thank you for reminding me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.