Football
Sponsored by

Texas A&M's move to the SEC has impacted the recruiting landscape in Texas

10,141 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OldBurlyBear86
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wapiti said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TeamPlayer said:

Hey, I enjoy kicking A&M right now too, but I'm afraid we are going to see them take the next step in 2020. If you think their "former students" are annoying now, wait until they win the SEC. It might make me move out of Texas again.
It would be interesting if they did take the next step, but anything less than a top 2 finish in the SEC West leaves Texas A&M where they've always been, and, given their schedule includes @Mike Leach's MSU, @Auburn, @Alabama, LSU, and Lane Kiffin's Ole Miss, it seems unlikely that Texas A&M will reach that mark.

Tall order for A$M to beat Bama, LSU, AU. The rest of the West of just bad to mediocre at best. New coaches at Ole Miss, Miss, Arkanas won't change that.
^This....

Just by rolling the ball out there and letting their boys play aggy should beat the horrible teams in the SEC....and by God are there some horrible programs in the SEC.

Scar, Kentucky, Vandy, Arkansas, Miss state, Ole Miss, etc.

They will beat them barely trying.

The question is can they ever get past Bama, LSU, Auburn to win the SEC West?

And then can they get past UGA/Florida at the title game to actually win the SEC?

It might happen....heck aggy did it once in the Big 12 by getting lucky and squeaking out a win against Kansas St. in the title game.

But I doubt it.

Arkansas dominated aggy in the SWC.....yet they still have not won an SEC title.

Since 1964 no team besides Bama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, UGA and Tennessee has won the SEC. And Tennessee has not won it since 1998.
Aberzombie1892
whitetrash said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Wapiti said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TeamPlayer said:

Hey, I enjoy kicking A&M right now too, but I'm afraid we are going to see them take the next step in 2020. If you think their "former students" are annoying now, wait until they win the SEC. It might make me move out of Texas again.
It would be interesting if they did take the next step, but anything less than a top 2 finish in the SEC West leaves Texas A&M where they've always been, and, given their schedule includes @Mike Leach's MSU, @Auburn, @Alabama, LSU, and Lane Kiffin's Ole Miss, it seems unlikely that Texas A&M will reach that mark.

Tall order for A$M to beat Bama, LSU, AU. The rest of the West of just bad to mediocre at best. New coaches at Ole Miss, Miss, Arkanas won't change that.
A&M virtually always loses more games than it is expected to. It was true before the change to the SEC, it was true under Sumlin, and it's been true so far under Fisher, so there is no real reason to expect otherwise at this point.
They really didn't this past year. Lost all 5 games they had virtually no chance in (LSU/Bama/Clemson/UGA/Auburn). Won their 6 patsies that will still be patsies in 2020 (Ark/SC/Ole Miss/3 pushover noncons). Managed to win both of their only games against evenly matched competition (MissSt/OkSt).

And they get to replace 14-1 Clemson and 12-2 UGa with 5-7 Colorado and 3-9 Vandy in 2020. Plus outside chances against a retooling LSU and a Bama without a clearcut superstar QB.
Last year was an anomaly (i.e. why the "almost" in front of always).

In terms of unexpected losses: in 2018, they lost to MSU; in 2017, they lost to UCLA; in 2016, they lost to MSU/Ole Miss; and the list goes on. Like in 2019, lightening previously struck in 2012, but no unexpected losses in only 2/8 years in the SEC across two highly compensated coaches does not build confidence in Texas A&M given their budget and recruiting, especially when they lost their most recent conference game 50-7 in the worst loss in terms of final score that 2019 LSU levied on any P5 team.

In 2020, they could perform at exactly the same level in 2020 as they did in 2019 and improve slightly in the W/L column due to Clemson and Georgia falling off of the schedule, but the question is whether they will reach the next step by stringing together two seasons of no unexpected losses. At this moment in time, that means beating essentially everyone other than Alabama and LSU, and, other than Texas A&M's first year in the SEC (with essentially only a Big 12 roster), that program has not otherwise finished with only two losses in the history of its time either in the SEC or in the Big 12. Beyond Alabama and LSU, the obvious question marks for A&M are Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and MS State, and, even though three of the latter four teams have new staff, it would still be surprising if Texas A&M went undefeated against that group.

Who knows? Maybe Texas A&M will finish the regular season 10-2. Of course, on the other hand, given that PFF's early 2020 preseason CFB rankings don't have A&M included in the top 25, maybe they won't.
Pecos 45
The Aggies haven't even won a DIVISION championship in the SEC since moving there.

Was the SEC membership a move downward?

Is a bear Catholic?
Does the Pope sh*t in the woods?
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
BUbackerinET
And will never sniff the playoffs, because they have LSU, Alabama, and Auburn EVERY year, their BEST hope would be 2-1with those 3, but most years that will be 1-2, or 0-3. Still can't believe the short-sidedness of this decision, but enjoy your mediocrity there Agggy
Aliceinbubbleland
Pecos 45 said:

The Aggies haven't even won a DIVISION championship in the SEC since moving there.

Is a bear Catholic?
Both Arkansas and aggy have had a difficult introduction to the SEC. At least Arkie has won three SECw titles, I think, maybe just two? They always hit a hot Florida team in the SEC Championship game.

aggy on the OTH has never sniffed an SECw title. I think this year they may. Make no mistake Jimbo Fisher is going to win something other then NCAA probation.

They have too much money to be overlooked.
BearTruth13
The SEC move helped Aggie recruiting. It is silly to think it hasn't. They have had consistent top 15 and now top 10 classes since the move. They have simply had some really bad coaching and have the privilege of playing Auburn, LSU and Bama annually.

I hate A&M as much as the next guy but they would be a top 3 Big 12 team.
BUbackerinET
Post was good and right until the last sentence, because that is irrelevant, and can't be proven one way or the other
BearTruth13
BUbackerinET said:

Post was good and right until the last sentence, because that is irrelevant, and can't be proven one way or the other

I mean this year Oklahoma St finished 3rd in the Big 12 and the Aggies beat them. And the Ags finished 7-5 in the SEC West.

Both teams had injuries going into the bowl game.

Ags aren't world beaters but talent can take you a long way. UT and OU are the only Big 12 schools that recruit on their level.
BUbackerinET
Ok, I see what you're saying, this year that happened.
REvansBU71
whitetrash said:

boognish_bear said:

Yes, but in 16 years in the Big12, Aggy was beaten by the national champ 3 times.

In only 8 years in the SECSECSEC, Aggy has already surpassed that by being beaten by the national champ 4 times.

Trash gets it. Always has.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
TeamPlayer
Aliceinbubbleland said:

The aggy 2020 football schedule almosts guarantees a very highly successful year unfortunately. I think they can easily go 6-0 heading to Auburn. IF they win that game they will most likely go into the Alabama game at home with a 10-0 record.

Their schedule this year follows our pattern of last year.
This is what I'm expecting. Why Jimbo thinks Darrell Dickey is a suitable OC I'll never know. The lack of development of Mond, or any QB for that matter, is a big part of their issue.

I'm bracing for the worst, but hoping for a surprising loss somewhere in the first 10 games.
Krieg
So, let me get this straight'

- Aggy leaves the conference
- Aggy recruits better
- Aggy still sucks at winning football games
- UT's recruiting gets worse
- UT now sucks at winning football games
- Baylor's recruiting gets better (with the exception of this year)
- Baylor wins 10+ games 4 times since aggy left

I'm failing to see anything bad happening here.
gohogs14
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Pecos 45 said:

Is a bear Catholic?
Both Arkansas and aggy have had a difficult introduction to the SEC. At least Arkie has won three SECw titles, I think, maybe just two? They always hit a hot Florida team in the SEC Championship game.

aggy on the OTH has never sniffed an SECw title. I think this year they may. Make no mistake Jimbo Fisher is going to win something other then NCAA probation.

They have too much money to be overlooked.
Technically Arkansas has won the west 3 times but once was when Alabama was ineligible due to sanctions. The crazy thing is the Petrino teams in 2010 and 2011 were probably their best teams in the SEC but the division was so loaded then that they finished #5 in the nation but 3rd in the SEC West.

It is funny to me seeing people lump A&M in with Alabama, LSU and Auburn when they haven't accomplished anything in the SEC yet. They have all the potential in the world, but they did in the Big 12 too. Even Mississippi State under Mullen and Ole Miss under Freeze went to an Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl, more than A&M has done in the SEC to this point.
Crap in the woods bear
Appreciate the interest.
Timbear
I heard there might be SEC realignment. Anyone have any info?
Chuckroast
Timbear said:

I haven't heard that. I do remember when the SEC east was the gauntlet. There was a time when Florida and Tennessee were dominant and Georgia good enough to pick one of them off. Either Florida or Tennessee won the SEC all but 2 years between 1990-2000. Alabama won the other 2. It's all SEC west lately, but things can change.
Aliceinbubbleland
Timbear said:

I can't imagine how they would do that. Where did you pick up on this? Make no mistake. Birmingham rules the SEC and they will do whatever Bama requires.

Former rivals like Florida and Auburn no longer get to play regularly or Alabama and Georgia. All because Alabama insisted on keeping Tennessee and Auburn insisted on keeping Georgia.

LSU and Florida got screwed. They have to play each other every year while aggy gets a cakewalk with South Carolina.

I just wished everyone would adopt the Pac 12 rules. No non-conference games after the third game of the season. It's time for the B1G, Big12, ACC and Pac 12 to rattle the bases and bring the SEC into the same uniform scheduling as the others. What will the SEC do if they don't like the rules? No where for them to go.
EatMoreSalmon
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Timbear said:

I can't imagine how they would do that. Where did you pick up on this? Make no mistake. Birmingham rules the SEC and they will do whatever Bama requires.

Former rivals like Florida and Auburn no longer get to play regularly or Alabama and Georgia. All because Alabama insisted on keeping Tennessee and Auburn insisted on keeping Georgia.

LSU and Florida got screwed. They have to play each other every year while aggy gets a cakewalk with South Carolina.

I just wished everyone would adopt the Pac 12 rules. No non-conference games after the third game of the season. It's time for the B1G, Big12, ACC and Pac 12 to rattle the bases and bring the SEC into the same uniform scheduling as the others. What will the SEC do if they don't like the rules? No where for them to go.
And everyone plays 9 conference games plus one OOC P5 should be the rule as well.
Timbear
It was being discussed on Paul Finebaum.
Forest Bueller_bf
boognish_bear said:

Well aggy is exactly what they have been since joining the Big 12, very mediocre.

SEC/Big 12 doesn't matter, same results.
Pecos 45
They can pay Jimbo Fisher as much as they want.
Mediocrity (no division championships, no SEC championships) will still be the result.
They have gone through numerous coaches trying to "get to the next level" and it has always been a lateral move.
Their winningest coach was R.C. Slocum, and they got rid of him.

All the money and facilities in the world will not buy them success because they seem to be snake bit.
Malcolm Forbes
Chuckroast
I really didn't like A&M when I attended Baylor, but I'm not from Texas so I didn't grow up with the hatred of them that many here seem to have. I was curious what their overall record was in their 8 SEC years vs their last 8 Big 12 years.

Interestingly, they are 68-36 over their 8 years in the SEC and 54-46 in their last 8 years in the Big 12. The extra non con game is probably offset to some degree by not having an easy out conference game like Kansas. (a game against Vandy every 4 or so years . . . who has actually had some success since 2012 . . . isn't the same thing). I'd say better facilities + better recruiting + better overall record + being out of UT's shadow makes A&M have no regrets.
Aliceinbubbleland
Chuckroast said:

I really didn't like A&M when I attended Baylor, but I'm not from Texas so I didn't grow up with the hatred of them that many here seem to have. I was curious what their overall record was in their 8 SEC years vs their last 8 Big 12 years.

Interestingly, they are 68-36 over their 8 years in the SEC and 54-46 in their last 8 years in the Big 12. The extra non con game is probably offset to some degree by not having an easy out conference game like Kansas. (a game against Vandy every 4 or so years . . . who has actually had some success since 2012 . . . isn't the same thing). I'd say better facilities + better recruiting + better overall record + being out of UT's shadow makes A&M have no regrets.

I have no idea what years you attended but it couldn't have been when aggy was a military school. Also they were the biggest thorn in the side of Baylor athletics bar none. IF a game really mattered they won.
Chuckroast
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Chuckroast said:

I have no idea what years you attended but it couldn't have been when aggy was a military school. Also they were the biggest thorn in the side of Baylor athletics bar none. IF a game really mattered they won.

I agree with you I couldn't stand A&M when I was there in the 80's. I just didn't grow up hating them, and I'm pretty ambivalent now.since we don't play them.
RegentCoverup
Texas A&M appears to have a serious corruption problem regarding research.

I'll feign surprise.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-funding-of-u-s-researchers-raises-red-flags-11580428915
Pecos 45
When I entered Baylor University as a freshman in the fall of 1970, I was taught to hate Texas A&M, particularly at homecoming.
Dr. Paul Armitstead told us about the 1926 halftime riot that killed a Texas Aggie Cadet.
There was an entire book written about that incident that I highly recommend: https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Brazos-Football-Swaim-Paup-sponsored/dp/1623496616

To say that I despise Texas A&M would be an understatement.

"If the Aggies are playing the University of Osama bin Laden, I'm showing up at the stadium with a towel on my head." (BF.com poster whose name I cannot remember)
Malcolm Forbes
BearTruth
I seemed to help their recruiting 25% but they traded it for a 40% harder conference... so net loss.

I do think it destroyed Colorado, Nebraska & Missouri - when you can't recruit by assuring a Texas players momma they can watch their son play 5-6 games in Texas, those kids are choosing another school.
Crap in the woods bear
BearTruth said:

I seemed to help their recruiting 25% but they traded it for a 40% harder conference... so net loss.

I do think it destroyed Colorado, Nebraska & Missouri - when you can't recruit by assuring a Texas players momma they can watch their son play 5-6 games in Texas, those kids are choosing another school.

Yes but we left the state. Picked up the campus and ftickin' moved it according to the Perryman report.
historian
Were they playing as many creampuffs each year when in the Big 12? Certainly part of their win totals in recent years must be due to playing 4 creampuffs each year until recently when it's 3 (while Big 12 teams play only 2). Yes, Baylor had 3 last year (& probably this is one of the reasons for our great record), but that was very much an exception due to a unique circumstance. We have only 2 per year going forward.

Given that perspective, Aggies spent all that money for no gain. Heck, statistically it might even be a dropoff. Losing to Bama & LSU every year certainly does not help their numbers.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
CHP Bear
whitetrash said:

boognish_bear said:

Yes, but in 16 years in the Big12, Aggy was beaten by the national champ 3 times.

In only 8 years in the SECSECSEC, Aggy has already surpassed that by being beaten by the national champ 4 times.
Once I listened to a football coach speaking about "average and ordinary" and "setting goals". What's changed at agville?. I'll bet those SEC SEC SEC Participation Banners hanging around campus look great?
Pecos 45
They only give participation trophies at YMCA youth sports.
Malcolm Forbes
boognish_bear
Ursus Americanus
So who squanders 5 star recruits the most, UT or A&M?

Seems the aggys have finally caught up to UT with something.
Ursus Americanus
historian said:

Were they playing as many creampuffs each year when in the Big 12? Certainly part of their win totals in recent years must be due to playing 4 creampuffs each year until recently when it's 3 (while Big 12 teams play only 2). Yes, Baylor had 3 last year (& probably this is one of the reasons for our great record), but that was very much an exception due to a unique circumstance. We have only 2 per year going forward.

Given that perspective, Aggies spent all that money for no gain. Heck, statistically it might even be a dropoff. Losing to Bama & LSU every year certainly does not help their numbers.
Not only that, but the old Big 12 South era was arguably tougher than the modern SEC West, which was the lion's share of their time in the Big 12.

They were a mediocrity in their season in the round robin schedule too, where they played the whole conference.

Grumpy
So it appears that Baylor and LSU are tied as the second biggest beneficiaries of A&M's move to the SEC. Is this correct?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.