Football
Sponsored by

CAB interviewed by Smoak today on YMTC

25,491 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by summaryjudged
SATXBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

My feelings were different. Smoke ask him is everything getting back to normal. Briles said smoke i will never be normal again. Briles doesnt deserve to have his life destroyed because Baylor was ignoring title 9
Star was behind that. The mistakes he made were mistakes not evil. I am sorry we had to fire him and i wish him nothing but the best.
We didn't have to fire him. We needed to be redemptive, but we just didn't, or couldn't, rise to that level.
That's my current take. We didn't have to fire him. But we were more worried about public perception at that point than anything else. And it backfired. When you spend too much time worrying about what people think, you generally end up looking worse.

That is what gave rise to our problems dealing with sexual assault, and that is what infected our response to the crisis. We cared more about perception than reality.
On May 24, two days before the board announced plans to fire Mr. Briles, he addressed regents in a conference room in an office tower across the Brazos River from the $266 million football stadium that opened in 2014.
Baylor regents said that when Mr. Briles was asked what he would have done differently, he broke down and wept. Many board members began to cry as well.
"He couldn't speak he was so upset, and all of us were," Mr. Gray said. "Art said, 'I delegated down, and I know I shouldn't have. And I had a system where I was the last to know, and I should have been the first to know.'"
Mr. Cannon said Mr. Briles quoted Scripture and expressed his regrets over the painful situation Baylor was in, but didn't admit to wrongdoing.

We had to fire him. He had his chance to lay out his plan and could not or did not.

Perception nationwide was reality!

Pretty good summary. He gave them no other choice. I think we can all agree that Baylor University is far better off with someone other than Art Briles as the football coach. It would have been a disaster for the program to have kept him.

In contrast, Aranda is hiring quality experienced assistants and even hired an off the field general manager of sorts to handle administrative matters. The program is in much better hands at this point.

Briles thought he had a team of off the field people handling administrative matters. I think he was told to coach football. In hindsight, we have learned that was not ok. I think his mistake was trusting the heirarchy that Baylor had in place back then.

Don't know why it's okay for a new coach to rely on other off the field administrators if it wasn't for Briles. Disclaimer: I'm a huge Aranda fan and agree he should be able to have and rely on off the field administrators.

You have no proof. Just opinion.

You do realize that the NCAA requires the head football coach be responsible for all the compliance in the football program. This is where Briles failed.
SATXBear
Robert Wilson said:

I had a great time this year, sans a Big 12 championship.

I love the staff Aranda has put together.

We wouldn't have our current success without Briles.

Tar and feather him with snippets out of context all you want, but he pulled us out of the football ditch and won the only B12 championships we've got.

Anyone claiming our failures weren't university wide is being intentionally obtuse. He was a convenient bright shiny object to throw to second tier journalists. Larry, Moe, and Curly could've handled that mess better.

Why does a smart guy like you keep your head in the sand? I will never understand it.
Keyser Soze
Robert Wilson said:

Tar and feather him with snippets out of context all you want speaking of obtuse, but he pulled us out of the football ditch and won the only B12 championships we've got. - and then fell back into the ditch

Anyone claiming our failures weren't university wide said no one - straw man much? is being intentionally obtuse. - He was a convenient bright shiny object to throw to second tier journalists. Larry, Moe, and Curly could've handled that mess better.
JP1037
Robert Wilson said:

Tar and feather him with snippets out of context all you want, but he pulled us out of the football ditch and won the only B12 championships we've got.

Anyone claiming our failures weren't university wide is being intentionally obtuse. He was a convenient bright shiny object to throw to second tier journalists. Larry, Moe, and Curly could've handled that mess better.
This is a great post RW. Nailed it. I have moved on for football. But I will never move on from the injustice and those who got away with it. Every time I see a of the Regents responsible at various games I attend it makes me ill. It takes all I have not to tell them what I think about them.
Chuckroast
SATXBear said:

Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

My feelings were different. Smoke ask him is everything getting back to normal. Briles said smoke i will never be normal again. Briles doesnt deserve to have his life destroyed because Baylor was ignoring title 9
Star was behind that. The mistakes he made were mistakes not evil. I am sorry we had to fire him and i wish him nothing but the best.
We didn't have to fire him. We needed to be redemptive, but we just didn't, or couldn't, rise to that level.
That's my current take. We didn't have to fire him. But we were more worried about public perception at that point than anything else. And it backfired. When you spend too much time worrying about what people think, you generally end up looking worse.

That is what gave rise to our problems dealing with sexual assault, and that is what infected our response to the crisis. We cared more about perception than reality.
On May 24, two days before the board announced plans to fire Mr. Briles, he addressed regents in a conference room in an office tower across the Brazos River from the $266 million football stadium that opened in 2014.
Baylor regents said that when Mr. Briles was asked what he would have done differently, he broke down and wept. Many board members began to cry as well.
"He couldn't speak he was so upset, and all of us were," Mr. Gray said. "Art said, 'I delegated down, and I know I shouldn't have. And I had a system where I was the last to know, and I should have been the first to know.'"
Mr. Cannon said Mr. Briles quoted Scripture and expressed his regrets over the painful situation Baylor was in, but didn't admit to wrongdoing.

We had to fire him. He had his chance to lay out his plan and could not or did not.

Pretty good summary. He gave them no other choice. I think we can all agree that Baylor University is far better off with someone other than Art Briles as the football coach. It would have been a disaster for the program to have kept him.

In contrast, Aranda is hiring quality experienced assistants and even hired an off the field general manager of sorts to handle administrative matters. The program is in much better hands at this point.

Briles thought he had a team of off the field people handling administrative matters. I think he was told to coach football. In hindsight, we have learned that was not ok. I think his mistake was trusting the heirarchy that Baylor had in place back then.

Don't know why it's okay for a new coach to rely on other off the field administrators if it wasn't for Briles. Disclaimer: I'm a huge Aranda fan and agree he should be able to have and rely on off the field administrators.

You do realize that the NCAA requires the head football coach be responsible for all the compliance in the football program. This is where Briles failed.

Much of the teeth gnashing against Briles was because of the Sam U situation. Sam's conviction was the catalyst that got everything started.

Yet if you recall CAB's interviews leading up to that season, he referenced that he was relying on others to properly vet Sam's situation. CAB had at least taken the initiative to keep him from playing football until it was resolved one way or another since that was a power within his purview.

Once Sam's conviction happened, it was no longer acceptable that Briles had been relying on a "team" of administrators. The narrative suddenly changed to one where Briles knew Sam was a criminal and recruited him anyway. Meanwhile, the team of administrators disappears quietly out the back door.
Thee University
Robert Wilson said:

Nobody cared the failures were campus wide until Art got nailed. The vast majority of athletic supporters just did not care.

Art painted a nice, bright, shiny target on his chest early on in so many ways and underestimated how many wanted to target practice and how he was going to survive the slings, arrows and bullets.

bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

I'm sorry, but this is just nonsense. No head coach is hired without an explicit mandate and expectation to oversee the culture of his program. How some of you can absolve Art Briles of this very basic responsibility is beyond me. The guy was a great football mind and a terrible leader. Period. Art and his sycophants need to own that, not make excuses for it.

It doesn't take hindsight to know that running a rogue program is bad.
bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

It's unbelievable anyone on here is STILL sulking about Art Briles, he's so gone that we're about to graduate two whole classes of students that never knew him as coach.

Rhule was a home run hire a play away from the Big 12 title and playoff and was so good the NFL wanted him, now we just got the most coveted defensive coordinator in the country as our coach hot off being instrumental to one of the most dominating national title teams of all-time, but the usual suspects STILL want to sulk about a high school coach in Mount Vernon no one is hiring to play big boy football.

It'll be half a decade of football this fall since his dismissal but here they STILL are, sulking.

The game has evolved and the league has evolved, and Baylor is in position to evolve better with the current staff, which is head to toe better than it ever was under Briles, and has ZERO nepotism in its ranks, but here they STILL are, sulking.

I wonder how many Aggies still pine for Jackie Sherrill.

Coach Briles won two Big 12 titles (the same number
Thee's team scored). Not a "play" away
Darn facts
Thanks

Not to mention that some people simply don't like to sweep injustice under the rug.
"Hopefully he's under radar enough they won't recognize name -- did he get ticket from Baylor police or Waco? ... Just trying to keep him away from our judicial affairs folks." -- Art Briles

Hypocrisy, thy name is #CABer.
SATXBear
Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Much of the teeth gnashing against Briles was because of the Sam U situation. Sam's conviction was the catalyst that got everything started.

Yet if you recall CAB's interviews leading up to that season, he referenced that he was relying on others to properly vet Sam's situation. CAB had at least taken the initiative to keep him from playing football until it was resolved one way or another since that was a power within his purview.

Once Sam's conviction happened, it was no longer acceptable that Briles had been relying on a "team" of administrators. The narrative suddenly changed to one where Briles knew Sam was a criminal and recruited him anyway. Meanwhile, the team of administrators disappears quietly out the back door.

After all that, Briles was suppose to set up title 9 compliance and he refused. The BOR really had no choice but to fire him. NCAA rules say the head coach is responsible for understanding compliance, reporting infractions, and is responsible for the actions of his staff. That is separate from SamU completely.
REX
bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

It's unbelievable anyone on here is STILL sulking about Art Briles, he's so gone that we're about to graduate two whole classes of students that never knew him as coach.

Rhule was a home run hire a play away from the Big 12 title and playoff and was so good the NFL wanted him, now we just got the most coveted defensive coordinator in the country as our coach hot off being instrumental to one of the most dominating national title teams of all-time, but the usual suspects STILL want to sulk about a high school coach in Mount Vernon no one is hiring to play big boy football.

It'll be half a decade of football this fall since his dismissal but here they STILL are, sulking.

The game has evolved and the league has evolved, and Baylor is in position to evolve better with the current staff, which is head to toe better than it ever was under Briles, and has ZERO nepotism in its ranks, but here they STILL are, sulking.

Darn facts
Thanks

Not to mention that some people simply don't like to sweep injustice under the rug.
"Hopefully he's under radar enough they won't recognize name -- did he get ticket from Baylor police or Waco? ... Just trying to keep him away from our judicial affairs folks." -- Art Briles

Calm down little man
It's going to be ok
bear2be2
REX said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Calm down little man
It's going to be ok
Swell post. Another great addition to this discussion/your post history.

The great news for actual Baylor fans is that it already is OK, thanks to Matt Rhule and the work he put in to clean up his predecessor's stink.
REX
bear2be2 said:

REX said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

"Hopefully he's under radar enough won't recognize name -- did he get ticket from Baylor police or Waco? ... Just trying to keep him away from our judicial affairs folks." -- Art Briles

Calm down little man
It's going to be ok

Pot/kettle
Ursus Americanus
REX said:

bear2be2 said:

REX said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

"Hopefully he's under radar enough won't recognize name -- did he get ticket from Baylor police or Waco? ... Just trying to keep him away from our judicial affairs folks." -- Art Briles

Calm down little man
It's going to be ok

Pot/kettle

You need to step up your trolling game if you think it's going to distract from the fact you're just the bitter parent of a Briles crony awaiting for the shoe to drop on some rape accessory charges.

Reverend
Art Briles doesn't know Ursula even exists.
Chuckroast
SATXBear said:

Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

After all that, Briles was suppose to set up title 9 compliance and he refused. The BOR really had no choice but to fire him. NCAA rules say the head coach is responsible for understanding compliance, reporting infractions, and is responsible for the actions of his staff. That is separate from SamU completely.

We had no meaningful title 9 compliance. Our own President admitted as much. Yet somehow Briles was responsible for title 9 compliance all on his own. I'm not saying Briles did everything perfectly, but he operated within a system our administration created thinking that compliance people were properly training everyone and that he could trust them. When our compliance was later proven to be woefully lacking, people like you are comfortable placing all the blame on the coach who was dependent on being properly trained.

I've got no connection to Briles - just trying to look at it as an objective outsider. I wonder if you've either got an axe to grind or are protecting some other undeclared agenda.

Chuckroast
bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Let me see . . . Whom should I believe? On the one hand, we have Ken Starr, who is nationally respected and knew the totality of facts I dare say better than any of us, and who also said Briles was a good man and didn't deserve the degree of blame he received

Vs.

the comparatively uninformed opinions and spin of bear2be2 and SATX

bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Let me see . . . Whom should I believe? On the one hand, we have Ken Starr, who is nationally respected and knew the totality of facts I dare say better than any of us, and who also said Briles was a good man and didn't deserve the degree of blame he received

Vs.

You mean the Ken Starr who was effectively fired for his role in the same scandal? If you wish to take solace in watching one derelict leader cover for another, that's your choice.
SATXBear
Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

We had no meaningful title 9 compliance. Our own President admitted as much. Yet somehow Briles was responsible for title 9 compliance all on his own. I'm not saying Briles did everything perfectly, but he operated within a system our administration created thinking that compliance people were properly training everyone and that he could trust them. When our compliance was later proven to be woefully lacking, people like you are comfortable placing all the blame on the coach who was dependent on being properly trained.

I've got no connection to Briles - just trying to look at it as an objective outsider. I wonder if you've either got an axe to grind or are protecting some other undeclared agenda.

What I am referring to is 2015. After the two convictions the BOR ordered Briles to set up title 9 compliance in his program. Briles still refused and said it was not his job. The BOR could not move forward with a coach with that kind of plan. I realize that would not of changed things prior to 2015, but it affected the decision to fire Briles. Starr's response to title 9 was also inadequate in 2014 and BOR had to order Starr also. Of course for ten years prior everyone (Briles, Starr, McCaw, BOR) had a hand in this mismanagement. Seems you want to let Briles off the hook. They are all guilty of mismanagement in a changing culture.
BaylorRocks
Once the BOR publicly sacrificed CAB, all of the (money hungry) #metoo pigs and their attorneys started lining up at the trough. And, to this day, Baylor still is negotiating and paying out those selfish opportunists. Biggest scam in Baylor history.

Tuition and ticket prices rise........
Keyser Soze
zunooreo said:

Once the BOR publicly sacrificed CAB, all of the (money hungry) #metoo pigs and their attorneys started lining up at the trough. And, to this day, Baylor still is negotiating and paying out those selfish opportunists. Biggest scam in Baylor history.

Utter detachment from reality with a strong dose of **** shaming. Classy

Keyser Soze

Just got around to listening to the the whole interview. All those conspiracy theories are straight from the horse's mouth. Misleading by omission.

bear2be2
Keyser Soze said:

Just got around to listening to the the whole interview. All those conspiracy theories are straight from the horse's mouth. Misleading by omission.
The interview just reinforced what I already believed to be true. Art Briles isn't a monster. He's just a football savant -- and even that's limited to one side of the ball. Take him off the football field or out of the film room and he comes off as painfully out of touch.

From an organizational and leadership standpoint, this guy had no business running a Division I program. He should be an offensive coordinator at the college or pro level. He doesn't have the big-picture view necessary to effectively lead a large organization.
SATXBear
bear2be2 said:

Keyser Soze said:

The interview just reinforced what I already believed to be true. Art Briles isn't a monster. He's just a football savant -- and even that's limited to one side of the ball. Take him off the football field or out of the film room and he comes off as painfully out of touch.

From an organizational and leadership standpoint, this guy had no business running a Division I program. He should be an offensive coordinator at the college or pro level. He doesn't have the big-picture view necessary to effectively lead a large organization.

Agree
Chuckroast
bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Vs.

You mean the Ken Starr who was effectively fired for his role in the same scandal? If you wish to take solace in watching one derelict leader cover for another, that's your choice.

The fact you believe Starr is derelict is all we need to know about the credibility of your posts.
Chuckroast
zunooreo said:

Just more of the fallout of our colossal mismanagement
SATXBear
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Vs.

The fact you believe Starr is derelict is all we need to know about the credibility of your posts.

OMG
It is pretty much common knowledge that the BOR had to take over some of Starr's administrative duties the year and a half before he was removed from his position. Do you really think they removed him just for the fun of it? Let's be honest for once.
Chuckroast
bear2be2 said:

Keyser Soze said:

Maybe. He can without question lead a football team and staff. Not sure why we can't entrust compliance to a staff of other people. As long as the coach works with that staff and doesn't look the other way on serious violations, that shouldn't have been a problem.

What we had was a coach who properly handled serious misconduct but may have taken some liberties on minor stuff (if we are to believe the spin we've been given regarding his text messages). The BOR and anti-CAB folks conflated the two in order to justify firing him and saving themselves.
bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Vs.

Ken Starr's self-serving handling of Title IX legislation is the root of virtually all of the problems we've experienced in that area. If you call that leadership, I have no choice but to question your credibility.
bear2be2
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Keyser Soze said:

Maybe. He can without question lead a football team and staff. Not sure why we can't entrust compliance to a staff of other people. As long as the coach works with that staff and doesn't look the other way on serious violations, that shouldn't have been a problem.

What we had was a coach who properly handled serious misconduct but may have taken some liberties on minor stuff (if we are to believe the spin we've been given regarding his text messages). The BOR and anti-CAB folks conflated the two in order to justify firing him and saving themselves.
You Briles sycophants are as out of touch as he is. It's not everyone else's job to oversee the leadership of Art Briles' program. It's not their job to tell him what type of recruits he should or should not be bringing into his program or how his players should be disciplined when they run afoul of the law or team rules.

For the life of me, I just can not understand why some of you guys blame everyone but Briles for the fact that he couldn't do what the vast majority of Division I football coaches do without issue. The guy was a ****ty leader who prioritized winning over character and discipline. That's on him. Period.

The guy has a brilliant mind for offensive football. But as a Division I head coach, he's a ticking time bomb.
SATXBear
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Keyser Soze said:

SMDH
Chuckroast
SATXBear said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Vs.

OMG
It is pretty much common knowledge that the BOR had to take over some of Starr's administrative duties the year and a half before he was removed from his position. Do you really think they removed him just for the fun of it? Let's be honest for once.

Starr was never a college administrator. We knew that when we hired him. He was a figurehead that helped hold the Big 12 together and brought great recognition to our brand while he was here. That's what we wanted from him. When our administrators got busted for years of mismanagement,, Starr as the so called captain of the ship was the casualty.
Chuckroast
bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Vs.

Ken Starr's self-serving handling of Title IX legislation is the root of virtually all of the problems we've experienced in that area. If you call that leadership, I have no choice but to question your credibility.

Since you seem to believe all of our non compliance issues were the fault of Starr and Briles, why did we even need a BOR and 100s of administrators and staff to handle compliance and oversight. Even if Starr believed title IX to be unconstitutional, the last I checked we had a general counsel and scads of outside counsel as well as a board overseeing them. Was Starr calling all the shots across the university, and if that was allowed, whose fault was that?
Timbear
We all know the BOR was derelict, and they knew it ,too. That's why they thru Baylor and Briles under the bus, to protect themselves. Anytime someone says they're only answerable to God like that preacher BOR member said, things aren't getting better.
Keyser Soze
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Keyser Soze said:

Like when Oakman hit his girlfriend (hard evidence on Shillinglaw's computer) or the gang bang that didn't get reported ?

And do you just ignore all the non-T9 stuff?

The kid selling drugs that was not reported.
Academic violations - which is likely the greatest NCAA problem still out there.
Tipping off players when drug test would happen.
The kid flashing the gun that was not reported.

The worst was that it was systematic. There was an entire team of fixers. How many times can you deliberately hide player violations from your employer - a clear violation of any employment contact - and not get fired?

SATXBear
Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

bear2be2 said:

Chuckroast said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Vs.

Since you seem to believe all of our non compliance issues were the fault of Starr and Briles, why did we even need a BOR and 100s of administrators and staff to handle compliance and oversight. Even if Starr believed title IX to be unconstitutional, the last I checked we had a general counsel and scads of outside counsel as well as a board overseeing them. Was Starr calling all the shots across the university, and if that was allowed, whose fault was that?

Briles was in charge of football and Starr was in charge of academics. They both were responsible for their subordinates and what went on. So yes, they both got fired. Simple as that. Can't fire 100 administrators reporting and answering to Starr.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.