Football
Sponsored by

Coach Aranda's call for unity

25,256 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by boognish_bear
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boognish_bear said:

RJ Sneed's mom replying to Hanspard

This lady is a great example--even a bold example!--of how to respond to the chaos. And Byron is another.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
boognish_bear said:

Looks like he's reading off of cue cards in the video
I think that's usually the case with these kinds of videos. Did you watch any of the student athletes presenting the Golden Bruiser Awards a couple weeks ago? Those were even more obvious. GP probably had some time to rehearse, the Baylor students often looked like they were reading it for the first or second time.

To be honest, I think most politicians ready off of Tele-prompters too.
boognish_bear
Mitch Henessey
Johnny Bear said:

George Truett said:

Timbear said:

Where are the Black protesters against Black on Black crime when probably 100's of Blacks are killed and wounded by Blacks every weekend in cities around the country?
Just a wild guess, but I think it might have something to do with our racist history of oppressing blacks.

Again, just a guess.
And from a societal standpoint, the USA has done about as much as humanly possible to eliminate further systemic oppression/mistreatment of blacks over the course of the last half century plus - but please carry on with your false narrative.
When millions of black men and women across the country and around the world are hurting because of actions by a white man, the amount of callousness it takes to essentially tell them, "it's not that bad, suck it up," is nearly unfathomable. You've shown your ass enough on the R&P Board this week. If you can't just keep your opinions to yourself, at least keep them there.
historian
It's difficult to see how millions of people all over the world are hurting from the actions of one man when most of them have never heard of George Floyd before his death. On the other hand, no doubt many blacks are hurting because of their own experiences at the hands of others. But there are literally billions of people of every ethnicity that can make that claim. For example, most of the people on the planet are hurting one way or another because of the coronavirus and the economic chaos created by it--but that is because of the incompetence of the Chinese communist regime and, in some cases, poor decisions by their own governments. In fact, I would say historically it's usually the case that human suffering is more often caused by the actions of the local government (at whatever level) than those of someone on another planet or in another country (think of the people of N. Korea or Venezuela).
Timbear
In a country of 300 Million, tragic mistakes will be made by people of all races. Does it justify burning and looting ? Mayors of big cities, particularly those run by Dems, do nothing to protect Blacks from senseless killings and crime from other Blacks. All they want is their vote.
boognish_bear
Bearupnobly
I teach English students with disabilities who cannot read within 5 grades of their high school status. Every day I look at young men of color and wonder "What can I do to prepare these young men for the systemic societal prejudice which they will have to face?" I cannot imagine being a black or brown parent, knowing the dangers facing my sons. Racism will continue to exist whatever I do, but what I can do I must do. Until white people bear the burden of change, violence will continue to surface. Until white churches follow the commands of Jesus Christ and cease supporting institutionalized prejudice, cease supporting and electing racist politicians, and speak out on biblical principles against prejudice against every person, the pace of change will continue to slow.

Here's a quote from Martin Luther King, Jr., who gave the civil rights movement the elements of faith and nonviolence:
Here is the true meaning and value of compassion and nonviolence, when it helps us to see the enemy's point of view, to hear his questions, to know his assessment of ourselves. For from his view we may indeed see the basic weaknesses of our own condition, and if we are mature, we may learn and grow and profit from the wisdom of the brothers who are called the opposition."

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

boognish_bear

boognish_bear

Timbear
How about diversifying the BOR with more men and women of color?
ImwithBU
Timbear said:

How about diversifying the BOR with more men and women of color?

You've said some stuff I disagree with on this thread, but this is something we can agree upon. I'm sure this isn't specific to Baylor but we need to do better with our minorities on campus and especially once they graduate. Baptist love money, I can literally count over 50 Baylor friends Who went on to get terminal degrees (and that's just people I kept in contact with). Less than 10 have ever given back to Baylor. I know I don't donate (outside of that requirement for football tickets). I like Baylor, glad I got an education but my connection with the school is very superficial. Will definitely push my kids to look elsewhere which is sad because my wife is Alum as well. I wish it was different but I can think of several environments that would be better for my children. They are younger than five so hopefully my opinion will change By the time they hit high school
boognish_bear
Timbear
Imwithbu, what do you think Baylor needs to do? Don't all kids come in, attend class, graduate and get on with their lives? How are Blacks discriminated against at Baylor? Serious questions. Illuminate.
boognish_bear
I know there is not much African American representation. The student body is 6% black and the staff is 7%.

OsoCoreyell
Can I ask an honest and sincere question? What does "change" look like? I don't mean "unarmed black people don't get killed by the police." We all want that. I mean, what is a practical change that we can do to end up there? Really. Not trying to punk or bait. Honestly, it's something I've been thinking a lot about and I wonder what others are thinking.
OsoCoreyell
boognish_bear said:

https://twitter.com/baylornaacp/status/1267884673021235202?
This is a good example of why I've been asking the question. How can Baylor respond to this? Is Baylor irredeemably racist? Is that what they are saying? Because of their "privilege?" I'm sorry, but I don't think critical race theory is the way to a better place. It just isn't.
Timbear
Aren't African American athletes at Baylor treated well? Both men and women? Is it that Black students are not asked to be in Fraternities and Sororities? Can someone who's on campus answer that? All students at Baylor are at a great University, getting an excellent education, if they apply themselves. Will Pres Livingstone saying "Black Lives Matter" increase anyone's GPA? Of course not. No one is denied access to any Major, or building or opportunity or facility or conversation or place of Worship or whatever, at Baylor. The fact that some people decide not to donate once they've graduated is an individual decision. Don't put that on Baylor. Someone please tell us, where's the bias, prejudice and racism at Baylor? Honestly, no sarcasm.
Mr Tulip
It's tough to strike a proper tone on an online forum. I need, then, to point out that I'm not saying this accusatory or aloof.

This is a perfect opportunity for us white guys to shut up and listen. It sounds like Baylor's black alumni make the decision to attend, do well, get degrees, and leave. However, they don't feel connected to the school. I strongly suspect that the African-American community has a lot of these interactions. Perfectly pleasant, not especially hostile, but never made to feel included or cherished by an institution. It's a necessary business transaction to accomplish an end.

I'm running the risk of putting words in mouths. I'd like to hear, though, an honest statement on how an individual's experience at Baylor felt, and how it could be improved.
curtpenn
Mr Tulip said:

ImwithBU said:

As a black man I will address this. This line of thinking is part of the problem. Fact is most races are killed by their own race. Whites kill whites. Blacks kill blacks and so on. It's proximity, it's the reason most investigations begin with the family and close family ties. Check the crime and FBI database if you need proof.

The problem with your argument is black on black crime is controlled by blacks. That's on us to clean up. Cops killing blacks is on cops. You can't tell the victim not to be a victim. you can't tell someone who is oppressed not to be oppressed, it's up to the oppressor to stop that situation.

And spare me with the all lives matter bull***** No one is saying all lives don't matter. But your life isn't the one at risk. Assume you live in a neighborhood and your house is on fire. The fire department shows up and sprays your neighbors home but does nothing for your home, because all houses matter. Of course your neighbors house matters but your neighbors house isn't on fire, yours is.

We have to have talks about how to keep your hands visible when pulled over. How to keep your registeration visible, how to keep your wallet visible. I'm a doctor riding around with a Baylor alumni plate because my family feels this lowers cops anxiety levels when they pull me over for driving a nice car while being a young black guy.

I don't expect you to understand because it's not your life. Just like I don't understand what a Muslim or Jew goes through in this country. But I don't understand how people always try to justify black people being Murdered by cops. This guy supposedly had a counterfeit bill or something of that nature. Yet you have a guy shoot up an entire church Killing several( yea he was white) and he gets handcuffed and his day in court.

I consider it like this.

I'm a 6'0" 210lb athletically built white male. When I go downtown at night or get in an elevator or other functions, I do it with a certain carefree attitude. I'm not particularly intimidating, and I don't try to be. Bullets and knives go into me like anyone else, so I'm not invulnerable. I just move with a certain freedom.

My wife, not surprisingly, is female. She's 5'4". Her world looks different than mine. She assesses situations not necessarily out of fear, but with the understanding that certain things just "aren't a good idea". According to the rules, she should have the same freedom of movement that I do, but that is just not the case.

I have to think that people with dark skin live in a similar, but much more intensified, world. I don't know what that world truly is, and can really never know. I think I can help by realizing that these worlds exist. Our system has been teaching us all that black skin is threatening all our lives. It's on each of us to unlearn that lesson. It won't happen overnight, but it will never happen if we don't recognize it and commit to working on it.

I agree with most of what you say, but struggle with "our system has been teaching us all that black skin is threatening". Don't think it is really "our system", just inherent human nature since the beginning. Which makes it doubly difficult to address. Sad times.
Timbear
No one is justifying what could be the murder of George Floyd. I just believe that people burning and looting around the country have their own agendas, totally unrelated to George Floyd.
Texasjeremy
boognish_bear said:

I know there is not much African American representation. The student body is 6% black and the staff is 7%.

Baylor may be the most diverse school in the Big 12.

STUDENT POPULATION BY RACE (%) - NUMBERS FROM 2017

WHITE
78.1% - West Virginia (22,191)
75.3% - Kansas State (17,155)
69.9% - Iowa State (25,167)
69.8% - Kansas (19,288)
69.4% - TCU (7,282)
65.7% - Oklahoma State (16,630)
63.6% - Baylor (10,842)
58.6% - Oklahoma (16,716)
55.1% - Texas Tech (20,372)
42.4% - Texas (21,870)

HISPANIC
25.4% - Texas Tech (9,380)
20.4% - Texas (10,534)
14.2% - Baylor (2,430)
13.0% - TCU (1,368)
9.0% - Oklahoma (2,569)
7.1% - Oklahoma State (1,790)
6.6% - Kansas (1,824)
6.6% - Kansas State (1,504)
5.0% - Iowa State (1,800)
3.5% - West Virginia (985)

BLACK
6.2% - Baylor (1,059)
5.9% - Texas Tech (2,173)
5.5% - TCU (578)
5.3% - Oklahoma (1,498)
4.4% - Oklahoma State (1,115)
4.2% - West Virginia (1,194)
4.1% - Kansas (1,141)
3.9% - Texas (1,990)
3.3% - Kansas State (762)
2.6% - Iowa State (948)

ASIAN
18.2% - Texas (9,399)
5.9% - Baylor (1,004)
5.5% - Oklahoma (1,560)
4.5% - Kansas (1,245)
3.1% - TCU (320)
3.0% - Iowa State (1,089)
2.3% - Texas Tech (859)
1.8% - West Virginia (513)
1.8% - Oklahoma State (456)
1.7% - Kansas State (377)

TWO OR MORE RACES
9.0% - Oklahoma State (2,287)
7.6% - Oklahoma (2,166)
4.8% - Kansas (1,320)
4.7% - Baylor (800)
3.7% - West Virginia (1,065)
3.4% - Kansas State (772)
3.3% - Texas (1,709)
2.0% - Iowa State (736)
1.9% - Texas Tech (717)
0.7% - TCU (75)

AMERICAN INDIAN
4.19% - Oklahoma State (1,060)
4.10% - Oklahoma (1,170)
0.77% - TCU (81)
0.50% - Kansas State (115)
0.48% - Kansas (133)
0.43% - Baylor (73)
0.32% - Texas Tech (118)
0.20% - Iowa State (72)
0.16% - Texas (84)
0.12% - West Virginia (33)

NATIVE HAWAIIAN OR PACIFIC ISLANDER
0.22% - TCU (23)
0.12% - Texas (61)
0.12% - Oklahoma (33)
0.11% - Oklahoma State (28)
0.10% - Texas Tech (36)
0.09% - Kansas State (21)
0.08% - Iowa State (29)
0.06% - West Virginia (18)
0.05% - Kansas (14)
0.05% - Baylor (9)

NON-RESIDENT ALIEN
11.4% - Iowa State (4,115)
10.2% - Texas (5,244)
8.3% - Texas Tech (3,084)
8.3% - Kansas (2,305)
8.2% - West Virginia (2,316)
8.0% - Kansas State (1,819)
7.2% - Oklahoma State (1,819)
7.0% - Oklahoma (1,983)
4.9% - TCU (514)
4.2% - Baylor (725)
boognish_bear
boognish_bear

boognish_bear
San Diego Bear
"The truth will set us free."

The American (white) church needs to know our full family history, not a redacted one, or a mythology. Jemar Tisby's, The Color of Compromise, provides a needed corrective so we can repent and heal.

Baylor University's own Malcolm Foley (Ph.D. Church History) is also a needed voice.

I wish someone would have taught this history to me while I was at Baylor, and then later seminary.

San Diego Bear
curtpenn said:

I agree with most of what you say, but struggle with "our system has been teaching us all that black skin is threatening". Don't think it is really "our system", just inherent human nature since the beginning. Which makes it doubly difficult to address. Sad times.
Racism in American is contingent--we had a choice. In peace and non-judgment, I beg you to read Jemar Tisby's, The Color of Compromise.
jbbear
boognish_bear said:

The highest in the BIG XII.
Timbear
People want honesty, so, someone tell me why National Black leaders and prominent Dems never speak to the younger Black Community about Responsibility, Accountability, getting an Education and Hardwork? They talk plenty about Victimhood. The young Black culture is dominated by music, clothing styles and language that is abhorrent to many in the Adult, educated White Community. Before anyone wears a t-shirt saying some group matters, they need to go out and make sure that they do all they can for Their own life to matter.
Mr Tulip
Timbear said:

People want honesty, so, someone tell me why National Black leaders and prominent Dems never speak to the younger Black Community about Responsibility, Accountability, getting an Education and Hardwork? They talk plenty about Victimhood. The young Black culture is dominated by music, clothing styles and language that is abhorrent to many in the Adult, educated White Community. Before anyone wears a t-shirt saying some group matters, they need to go out and make sure that they do all they can for Their own life to matter.
In the spirit of honesty, and really not trying to sound like a jerk, black leaders speak constantly to the black community about hard work, education, dedication, and family. The message isn't for me, and I'm not invited to that conversation, because I'm not part of the black community. The messages they convey aren't meant for me.

"Prominent Dems" may be able to participate in the conversation, but they don't lead it. They certainly don't do it publicly. Realistically, the current message being sent is that white people need to quit bringing solutions to "their" problem to the black community. White people are called to realize that, if they're really interested in recognizing equality, there's a lot of work they should do to their own house before asking someone else to change.
Timbear
Mr. Tulip, please don't talk in vague generalities. $Billions in property damage has taken place due to burning and looting and breaking numetous laws without consequences. What specifically should happen , right now? Don't just say "White people need to change ". No one can answer that.
OsoCoreyell
boognish_bear said:

You lost me at privilege. A canard designed to create a system where people with not observed racism are stil guilty because of their race. Pernicious. Evil.
OsoCoreyell
OsoCoreyell said:

boognish_bear said:

You lost me at privilege. A canard designed to create a system where people with no observed racism are stil guilty because of their race. Pernicious. Evil.
historian
Stupid idea. Baylor is the last place I want to see students brainwashed with p.c. lies.

I much better idea would be to renew the focus on Christian principles beginning with Christ's greatest commandments:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength... Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:30-31

If everyone obeyed these 2 commands, there would be no racism, no hatred of any kind, no riots, etc.
GreenBearrow
historian said:

Stupid idea. Baylor is the last place I want to see students brainwashed with p.c. lies.

It's going to happen. If it was just about racism then I could understand, but they won't be able to stop from turning it into the latest p.c. indoctrination class every year. It's a slippery slope.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.