Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

BREAKING: Baylor to face Houston in non-conference game on Sept. 19

September 12, 2020

According to SicEm365’s David Smoak, Baylor will face the University of Houston in a non-conference game on Saturday, Sept. 19 at McLane Stadium. The news was originally reported by Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports.

The matchup with the Cougars replaces Baylor’s recently canceled non-conference game against Louisiana Tech after the Bulldogs were forced to cancel the game due to a breakout of COVID-19.

Discussion from...

BREAKING: Baylor to face Houston in non-conference game on Sept. 19

14,148 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ImwithBU
HTown_Strong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes!!!!!!!!
MrGolfguy
'Bout time, haven't played UH since the SWC broke up
Michibear
Will my LaTech ticket get me into this game?
txrangers
I'd think so. This is how they should do it.
Aliceinbubbleland
Don't blow this one Bears. I will never forget the egg on our faces after 1976. In our own backyard.
historian
All of a sudden, Baylor has the best schedule in the Big 12.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
curtpenn
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Don't blow this one Bears. I will never forget the egg on our faces after 1976. In our own backyard.
I was there. Sucked.

Aliceinbubbleland
curtpenn said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

I was there. Sucked.

You and all of "us" lol.
whitetrash
11am kickoff next saturday.
DanaDane
Just a stupid, stupid decision. OU is smart. They're playing a creampuff and taking them to the woodshed tonight to build momentum. I guess Rhoades wants to see Aranda potentially start off his career at Baylor the way Rhule did, although at least it wouldn't be as bad as a Liberty loss.
Michibear
Got a text from Baylor that LaTech tickets will apply towards the Houston game.

BiPolarBear
DanaDane said:

Just a stupid, stupid decision. OU is smart. They're playing a creampuff and taking them to the woodshed tonight to build momentum. I guess Rhoades wants to see Aranda potentially start off his career at Baylor the way Rhule did, although at least it wouldn't be as bad as a Liberty loss.
And the alternative solution is .........?
ImwithBU
DanaDane said:

No excuses. You want the big bucks earn them. U of H is essentially rebuilding. They had several players leave/quit mid season one of which was their starting QB. Charlie is basically getting a free season this year
historian
https://baylorbears.com/news/2020/9/12/baylor-football-to-host-houston-sept-19.aspx
Bear8084
DanaDane said:

Not even close to the same situation CMR stepped into. Baylor will probably be even favored in this one. Keep in mind we were originally scheduled to start off with Ole Miss.
gobears20
Staff
All tickets and parking passes distributed for the originally scheduled game vs Louisiana Tech are valid for entry. Limited tickets are available for purchase at BaylorBears.com/tickets.
Kuykendahl
Coog fan coming in peace. UH was not very good last year because we redshirted a ton of players but we have those players back plus a lot of transfers. Nearly the entire offense returns and we didn't lose any starters on defense. we should be much improved but we'll see.
Aliceinbubbleland
Wonder when Cougar Red returns? He has to be excited for playing us again.
BearlyBeloved
I am delighted with this.

The multitude who griped about scheduling Incarnate Word had better not criticize this.

historian
Houston was 4-8 last year.
jdkingbear
We played Houston in 1963. It was my first game as a Freshman at Baylor. We whipped them 27-0 at Baylor Stadium. I have been a rabid Bear fan ever since. Absolutely delighted that the AD and others got this match up. Given his and Aranda's connections to Houston they did great in arranging it. Now, all we need is a big victory to begin the year. Sicem good, Bears !!
jdkingbear
jdkingbear
Dana ... OU ALWAYS plays a creampuff team ... most do. Tell me, fella - were you distraught over missing out on Incarnate Word? Try being happy about the fact that WE HAVE A GAME SATURDAY. Geez.
jdkingbear
historian
Us getting Houston was pure dumb luck, nothing else. We both happened to have the same open day and the need for a replacement due to COVID. Everything else is gravy.
BearlyBeloved
historian said:

Us getting Houston was pure dumb luck, nothing else. We both happened to have the same open day and the need for a replacement due to COVID. Everything else is gravy.
I like gravy.
Timbear
Playing Houston is great. Can't wait.
Quinton
DanaDane said:

Kind of agree. And the most vulnerable by far our team will be is our first game with a new coach (and first time HC), new system, with no spring, with a lot of uncertainty in the last 6 months mentally for the team/program.

They have a ton of experienced transfers and tanked a season last year to gain experience. They should be decent although their qb might not be any good. You can never lose to an in state team in a lesser conference. This is a must win in what would have otherwise been a bit of a wash season given the circumstances.

I think we have more talent and have a better winning culture of players but we are vulnerable for the first few games against anybody. Experienced qb and improved o-line should be the difference here. But our d-line better come with it.
Quinton
Kuykendahl said:

Coog fan coming in peace. UH was not very good last year because we redshirted a ton of players but we have those players back plus a lot of transfers. Nearly the entire offense returns and we didn't lose any starters on defense. we should be much improved but we'll see.

You're getting the program at the most opportune time. If you were to make a statement it would be next week. New coach, new system, no spring, lost a ton of starters, scrimmage type more relaxed stadium atmosphere (limits nerves for road teams). Still expect a win with a vet qb, talented wr's, and an improved (hopefully) o-line but this will be interesting how our defense holds up with the heavy losses on that side of the ball.
historian
What hurts Baylor the most right now is that we lost so many great defensive players. The good news is that the second stringers who backed them up so much in 2019 will now be starters and should have enough experience to perform reasonably well. Also, our offensive woes last year should not be repeated with an O-line that should be greatly improved. Finally, we are blessed to have Houston & Kansas first before any road games or opponents that will be more difficult.

I am not saying they are shoe-ins. No game ever is (ask Iowa State & K State). However, we are in a position to get off to a solid start. There is no reason to expect this year to be like 2017 despite Aranda's inexperience as HC. He has enough coaching experience and has an OC with plenty of HC experience to help out. And Rhule left us in a very good position.

We have lots of reasons to be optimistic about this season.
Johnny Bear
Any word yet on TV for this game?
Bear8084
Johnny Bear said:

Any word yet on TV for this game?

Fox, 11AM.
historian
Hopefully we'll get Joel & Gus.
Bear8084 said:

DanaDane said:

Not even close to the same situation CMR stepped into. Baylor will probably be even favored in this one. Keep in mind we were originally scheduled to start off with Ole Miss.
Which will make it all the worse if Baylor loses. Season would be over after one game. There's no coming back.
Bear8084
365 said:

Bear8084 said:

DanaDane said:

Which will make it all the worse if Baylor loses. Season would be over after one game. There's no coming back.

A loss would be bad, but the season would not be over.
BearTruth13
Let's be honest. This is basically an exhibition season at this point. The stakes aren't that high.
Aliceinbubbleland
Unless we should lose.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.