Football
Sponsored by

"If Bears could not field a team Saturday, how could they 7 days later?"

4,937 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DanaDane
longtimebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This question was raised by ZUNOOREO In another thread and I think it's worth bringing up in a separate thread.
Does anyone have an opinion about this. Hope this is OK ZUNOOREO?
Stranger
longtimebear said:

This question was raised by ZUNOOREO In another thread and I think it's worth bringing up in a separate thread.

You just need to trust the process . . . whatever it is that day.
I'm a Bearbacker
IowaBear
If they can play against Ku they coulda played Saturday vs Houston. Fully expect KU cancellation no later then Tuesday
Baylor3216
Still confused if this was a Baylor failure to follow the process or following a flawed process that tripped up Baylor (but no one else in the big 12?)
IowaBear
Baylor3216 said:

Still confused if this was a Baylor failure to follow the process or following a flawed process that tripped up Baylor (but no one else in the big 12?)

THIS!!
SIC EM 94
How did La Tech have 38 players positive for Covid last week, and manage to play yesterday?
Thee University
Stranger said:

longtimebear said:

The real process is in Mt. Vernon. Trust it. Embrace it. Work it. Revere it. Support it.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Aberzombie1892
The Big 12 has established a two tiered cancellation process for conference games with approval from the commissioner:

1. If a Big 12 team has fewer than 53 players available (includes both scholarship players and walk ons) or
2. If a Big 12 team has less than specified amount of players per position group (although the Big 13 team can still choose to play below these marks).

In addition to the two options above for conference games, a Big 12 team can cancel a non-conference game via the terms of that contract, which usually allows them to cancel for a wide variety of events and covid would almost certainly be an option given when the contract was signed.

Is it possible that Baylor cancelled in order to avoid a tough out of conference game given the state of the roster? Sure - Baylor had more to lose than to gain by playing Houston, as anything less than a 3 TD win would have been perceived poorly.
SIC EM 94
Aberzombie1892 said:

The Big 12 has established a two tiered cancellation process for conference games with approval from the commissioner:

1. If a Big 12 team has fewer than 53 players available (includes both scholarship players and walk ons) or
2. If a Big 12 team has less than specified amount of players per position group (although the Big 13 team can still choose to play below these marks).

In addition to the two options above for conference games, a Big 12 team can cancel a non-conference game via the terms of that contract, which usually allows them to cancel for a wide variety of events and covid would almost certainly be an option given when the contract was signed.

Is it possible that Baylor cancelled in order to avoid a tough out of conference game given the state of the roster? Sure - Baylor had more to lose than to gain by playing Houston, as anything less than a 3 TD win would have been perceived poorly.

Totally disagree...a win by any margin would have been respectable. Baylor was favored by 4, to say "anything less than a 3 TD win would have been perceived poorly" is simply wrong. In addition, Baylor would have plenty to gain by playing...these guys need real game experience before heading into conference play.
BUGWBBear
By the Big 12 protocol rules, they must cancel Kansas because they aren't enough days apart.

Or they can break the stupid ghey rule and put up with a backlash of criticism and cowardice accusations by playing Kansas.

Bottom line, you're still a game short and they're not moving the conference championship,

Which'll it be, Baylor?
DanaDane
Some of you really need to tap the brakes on posting until you understand contact tracing. Anyone asking how we could play next Saturday because of results from this week, you are in the spotlight.
Mitch Henessey
DanaDane said:

Some of you really need to tap the brakes on posting until you understand contact tracing. Anyone asking how we could play next Saturday because of results from this week, you are in the spotlight.
You could have stopped after "tap the breaks on posting." I used to think our fanbase was more intelligent than others because Baylor is a pretty good school, and we don't have all that many t-shirt fans, but the past couple seasons have made it abundantly clear that we're just as dumb as the fanbase of any generic State School U.
Aberzombie1892
SIC EM 94 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Totally disagree...a win by any margin would have been respectable. Baylor was favored by 4, to say "anything less than a 3 TD win would have been perceived poorly" is simply wrong. In addition, Baylor would have plenty to gain by playing...these guys need real game experience before heading into conference play.
It would have hurt due to the Big 12's current reputation this season due to most of the other out of conference games (tough wins vs Tulsa and Houston Baptist and losses to Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette and Coastal Carolina). Posters in this forum have been talking about how great Baylor's going to be this season, and, if Baylor is that great, it should beat even a (very well rested) Houston team by more than 4.

Thank goodness Baylor (and TCU) skipped out on the out of conference games - they weren't worth in the Big 12 unless a team has a 2nd team as good as OU's or UT's that would be good enough to demolish most of the FBS on its own merit.
NTXCoog
According to Joel Klatt, Baylor would have had enough OL but your coach refused to move a suspension to another game. Does that mean he's going to try to claim a player was suspended for a cancelled game?

https://gocoogs.com/baylor-cancellation-aranda/
BUBear24
NTXCoog said:

According to Joel Klatt, Baylor would have had enough OL but your coach refused to move a suspension to another game. Does that mean he's going to try to claim a player was suspended for a cancelled game?

That player was supposed to be suspended for La Tech too, he will serve his suspension against KU.
NTXCoog
BUBear24 said:

NTXCoog said:

That player was supposed to be suspended for La Tech too, he will serve his suspension against KU.

But a La Tech suspension wouldn't have forced a game cancellation. It possibly caused one for UH. If a KU suspension forces another game cancellation/postponement, will it happen?
REX
Thee University said:

Stranger said:

longtimebear said:

The real process is in Mt. Vernon. Trust it. Embrace it. Work it. Revere it. Support it.

Still in your head???
Glad you still support the only B12 BU championship teams
WPS
Bear8084
NTXCoog said:

BUBear24 said:

NTXCoog said:

But a La Tech suspension wouldn't have forced a game cancellation. It possibly caused one for UH. If a KU suspension forces another game cancellation/postponement, will it happen?

He will still be suspended the game because we are getting 5 players back this week from that position group.
Green&GoldStandard
Thee University said:

Stranger said:

longtimebear said:

Briles still lives rent free in your head?
Thee University
Green&GoldStandard said:

Thee University said:

Stranger said:

longtimebear said:

No. I charge him the same amount he ripped us off for by getting Baylor into trouble with the NCAA, losing bowl revenue, TV $$$$, degrading the value of my degree, etc.

He owes me about $75,000,000 so we have a settlement worked out.

Every alum has a piece in the settlement.

I'm going to make sure you get your part. I've got you down for two tickets to the Baylor Religious Hour Choir performance complete with two Dr. Pepper floats.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
BUGWBBear
Sounds more and more like BEAR every day. Next he'll say he has records.
Green&GoldStandard
Thee University said:

Green&GoldStandard said:

Thee University said:

Stranger said:

longtimebear said:

No. I charge him the same amount he ripped us off for by getting Baylor into trouble with the NCAA, losing bowl revenue, TV $$$$, degrading the value of my degree, etc.

I'm going to make sure you get your part. I've got you down for two tickets to the Baylor Religious Hour Choir performance complete with two Dr. Pepper floats.

Take him to court. You can call the Texas Rangers and the NCAA as your witnesses...oh, wait
Green&GoldStandard
Thee University said:

Green&GoldStandard said:

Thee University said:

Stranger said:

longtimebear said:

You can choose a jury of your favorite regents
Thee University
Do you want your tickets to the Baylor Religious Hour Choir and DP float or not?

If you are upset I might throw in a night at the Mt. Vernon Quality Inn and then dinner for two at the Love's Truck Stop or maybe some fried chicken at Chester's.

I know a few of the Regents so it would not be fair.
BBWCBear
Thee University said:

Stranger said:

longtimebear said:

Geez!!! I've been away from this site since the end of last Football season, the search and naming of Aranda and of course, COVID... and the second thread I view and you're at it again. For the love of anything normal let it GO.
The scum sucking Media have moved on. COVID, NFL, College, BLM have placed East Texas in the rear view mirror, probably, maybe forever. If he ever makes it to the HS State Championship they might want to push a "come back from the ashes" story which they can enjoy an orgasmic experience over their stellar journalistic self.

For what it's worth, I had a phone conversation with an East Texas BU attorney friend who mentioned Briles was 8-3 last year and 3-0 presently so he's doing fine regardless of your ill feelings toward him. Great, atta'boy, booyah... doesn't have a thing to do with BU, cancellations, game short, etc, etc. That era is looongg gone.
Thee University
BBWCBear said:

Geez!!! I've been away from this site since the end of last Football season, the search and naming of Aranda and of course, COVID... and the second thread I view and you're at it again. For the love of anything normal let it GO.
The scum sucking Media have moved on. COVID, NFL, College, BLM have placed East Texas in the rear view mirror, probably, maybe forever. If he ever makes it to the HS State Championship they might want to push a "come back from the ashes" story which they can enjoy an orgasmic experience over their stellar journalistic self.

For what it's worth, I had a phone conversation with an East Texas BU attorney friend who mentioned Briles was 8-3 last year and 3-0 presently so he's doing fine regardless of your ill feelings toward him. Great, atta'boy, booyah... doesn't have a thing to do with BU, cancellations, game short, etc, etc. That era is looongg gone.
Sorry you got your feelings hurt. I was not talking to you.

In case you have not figured it out by now, I never give up. He left a legacy behind that keeps on "giving". I will give it right back.

jumpinjoe
Aberzombie1892 said:

Talking about clueless...he must have just awakened from a deep sleep.

The Houston game was agreed to only 4 days before it was cancelled, making his premise totally foolish.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Aberzombie1892
jumpinjoe said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

The Houston game was agreed to only 4 days before it was cancelled, making his premise totally foolish.
If you believe that the potential for an upset didn't play a role in Baylor cancelling the game, I have a bridge to sell you. The game didn't -need- to be cancelled, as Baylor (1) didn't have to cancel the game if it had less than the number of linemen set by the Big 12 (it could have still chosen to play under the Big 12 rules) and (2) Baylor could have unsuspended the suspended lineman so that it could play.

Baylor essentially cancelled the game by choice. I think it was the right decision - as a loss was potentially on the table and a close win would not have impressed anyone.
Bear8084
Aberzombie1892 said:

jumpinjoe said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

If you believe that the potential for an upset didn't play a role in Baylor cancelling the game, I have a bridge to sell you. The game didn't -need- to be cancelled, as Baylor (1) didn't have to cancel the game if it had less than the number of linemen set by the Big 12 (it could have still chosen to play under the Big 12 rules) and (2) Baylor could have unsuspended the suspended lineman so that it could play.

Baylor essentially cancelled the game by choice. I think it was the right decision - as a loss was potentially on the table and a close win would not have impressed anyone.

Except that it didn't. It was canceled because of COVID issues and keeping a player suspended. Rhoades didn't go through all that unprecedented trouble to even get the game on the calendar just to cancel it later because he was scared.
jumpinjoe
If Baylor was afraid of facing a tough opponent before conference begins, they would have never booked a game four days earlier. You are clueless.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
LTbear
Aberzombie1892 said:

jumpinjoe said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

You really didn't think this through. Or you did and you're not too bright.
PartyBear
I'm certain our players and coaches, and almost everyone involved with the athletic program would rather play and lose than not play at all on a given Saturday.
Aberzombie1892
LTbear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

jumpinjoe said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Didn't think what through?

There is, by definition, no rule that required Baylor to cancel the game, and, because that is the case, the game was, by definition, cancelled by choice by Baylor. None of that is disputable.

Stefano DiMera
Jesus Aberzombie...are you serious?
LTbear
Aberzombie1892 said:

LTbear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

jumpinjoe said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Didn't think what through?

Your first sentence.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.