Story Poster
Baylor Football

GameDay Thread: Baylor travels to Texas Tech for first time since 2008

November 13, 2020

Depth Chart | Class Scholarship Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Roster

Baylor (1-4) is back on the road again to face off against Texas Tech (2-5) on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. CT in a game that will be aired on FS1. 

Baylor vs. Texas Tech Primer

A year after a controversial ending to the 2019 contest between Baylor and Texas Tech in Waco, the Bears hit the road to Lubbock in what will be a game that could be the turning point for both programs in 2020. 

After a season opening victory over Kansas, the Bears have struggled to find consistency in the stretch of four-straight losses that followed. As for the Red Raiders, Matt Wells’ teams has seen it all: a very close call to Houston Baptist, an overtime loss to Texas after having a 15-point lead with 3:13 remaining in regulation and blow out losses to Iowa State, Oklahoma and TCU. Oh, and a random win over West Virginia right in the middle. 

But the paths to the current records have been quite different. While Baylor has worked through a scheme change on offense and defense under new head coach Dave Aranda while dealing with three game cancellations and postponements because of COVID, Tech has struggled under their second-year head who has tried to build on a 4-8 2019 season that was scalped by four losses by three points or less.

That included a double-overtime loss to the Bears where a fumble that was recovered by the Red Raiders in the first extra period was ruled an illegal snap. If both teams were in the position they had hoped this fall, that specific play would likely be getting much more attention leading up to kickoff.

The internal issues for both programs at this juncture in the season are more pressing, however. While Texas Tech plans to play two quarterbacks against the Bears tomorrow, Aranda’s defense will be dealing with the challenge of replacing their leading rusher and their best defender, Sqwirl Williams and Terrel Bernard, who were both lost for the season due to injury last Saturday against Iowa State. 

Needless to say, something has to give for the teams that have a combined record of 3-9. 

Baylor vs. Texas Tech Content
How Baylor can attack Tech’s defense
Texada, Barnes exemplify the consistency Baylor needs
Ride or Die: Why Charlie Brewer is Baylor’s guy for 2020
A statistical preview of Texas Tech
Trust the Podcast: Bears in Lubbock for first time since 2008

Baylor vs. Texas Tech Prediction

Written by Sam Bradshaw (S11)

Neither team is looking strong this year but both are probably 3-4 win teams in a “normal” year at this point.  Both teams have dynamic skill guys, inconsistency at QB, and line issues.   One team forces turnovers, doesn’t massively lose the field position battle, and shows more ability to impact the opposing offense.

Baylor wins one that’s close.

Baylor 34, Texas Tech 30

Discussion from...

GameDay Thread: Baylor travels to Texas Tech for first time since 2008

46,455 Views | 547 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bear2be2
Michibear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I haz sads.
BearTruth13
Michibear said:

BaylorHistory said:

The Hound said:

That's game. Loss is on Fedora and Aranda for thinking that they could win it with 23 points and going full conservative. Also on Aranda for not trying a new qb

I dont get it. Zeno might not be as good as CB, but this year is over. We need to prepare for the future.
Charlie coming back next year, friend.

I'm pretty sure the Baylor fan base will be non existent and the program will collapse in on itself if we have another year of Brewer starting.
wgeralds
not sure what hurts worse - the refs not calling the safety when the QB was clearly stopped in the endzone or dabney not paying attention to the play on the field where the tech LB stopped brewer near the goal line. either way another L for a team that doesn't know how to win and continually aren't put in positions to win by their coaching staff.
Hob Howelll
I don't want Charlie back. I'm also not sure fedora and Aranda are the right combination in terms of philosophy.
Baylor University class of 2014
whitetrash
Second year in a row a blown safety call costs us a win in regulation.
DanaDane
9th place in the Big 12 and a close battle for the worst coaching staff in the Big 12.
Dia del DougO
This team is offensively castrated by both talent and scheme. The defense plays with effort, but just can't control the line, misses playmakers on the front 7.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
JXL
So pathetic. Is it too late to hire Joey McGuire?
Thedeiyaanking
If Charlie comes back we need to change the team of this website lmao
IowaBear
Arandas not the answer and Fedora is trash
Hob Howelll
I'm so glad I don't have cable.
Baylor University class of 2014
BellCountyBear
Man, it feels like the Steele years are back.
Jorkel
Michibear said:

BaylorHistory said:

The Hound said:

That's game. Loss is on Fedora and Aranda for thinking that they could win it with 23 points and going full conservative. Also on Aranda for not trying a new qb

I dont get it. Zeno might not be as good as CB, but this year is over. We need to prepare for the future.
Charlie coming back next year, friend.

You think so?
BUbackerinET
I sure hope not - seriously, we have already lost Bohanon, and Zeno will follow - make no mistake Zeno is much more talented than CB
canoso
I saw this loss coming from 4.5 years away.
Bgleaton
If Charlie doesn't throw that terrible pick and dives into the end zone instead of going in straight up and getting drilled, we win this game by two scores. Tech's QB that started the 2nd half and still threw for more yards than Brewer.
SIC EM 94
tpj1991 said:

This one hurts, Tech sucks. Only positive about this season is how crappy we played and yet we were still in almost every game we have played.

Actually makes these choke job losses even harder in my opinion.
CorsicanaBear
Convinced now these games are as scripted for TV as WWE or Survivor.
Illigitimus non carborundum
PartyBear
Reminds me of the Reedy era. We seem to think of we get about 24 points the game is over offense can stop no matter how much time is left.
wgeralds
Thedeiyaanking said:

If Charlie comes back we need to change the team of this website lmao
please don't even speak the words "if charlie comes back"
BBWCBear
Loser. *******. U!
GoldenBear007
Anyone see another win on the schedule? OU and OSU are surely losses. Might have a shot against K-State.
Thedeiyaanking
CorsicanaBear said:

Convinced now these games are as scripted for TV as WWE or Survivor.
nah. We just ****ing suck.
SIC EM 94
Bgleaton said:

If Charlie doesn't throw that terrible pick and dives into the end zone instead of going in straight up and getting drilled, we win this game by two scores. Tech's QB that started the 2nd half and still threw for more yards than Brewer.

Definitely 2 game crushing plays. Along with the phantom holding, Barnes getting burned deep, and the extremely predictable play calling. Lots of failure to go around with these Bears.
Big_Pumpin
Thank goodness this happened on Masters weekend. Didn't even know what time the game started until 2:00.
SIC EM 94
BUbackerinET said:

I sure hope not - seriously, we have already lost Bohanon, and Zeno will follow - make no mistake Zeno is much more talented than CB

You have info on Bohannan or just throwing **** out there?
Reverend
We are beyond pathetic. Feel sorry for our players.

This coaching staff needs to return their paychecks
CHP Bear
Well we do have the head-to-head win over Kansas.
Space53
Had a good running game going with Jones and in the 2nd half they don't play him much. Looked like we were trying to lose.
oldbear69
JXL said:

So pathetic. Is it too late to hire Joey McGuire?
mc guire gone \, first offer, this beall clone is worthhless, so what, hang with this guy 3 more years?
blackie
BellCountyBear said:

Uh, no. You have a short memory. Steele would have lost this game by at least 20 points.
DanaDane
blackie said:

BellCountyBear said:

Uh, no. You have a short memory. Steele would have lost this game by at least 20 points.

Aranda reminded me of STEAL at first, because it is readily apparent he is clueless and essentially learning on the job. But, I agree, we're not at the Steal years. Unfortunately though this staff ain't winning more than 3, maybe 4 games a year (when we get 3 non-conference creampuffs back on the schedule).
Reverend
Of course won't happen but Aranda should be gone. Terrible mistake. And I don't blame Rhodes. It was just a terrible mistake.
Bear8084
DanaDane said:

blackie said:

BellCountyBear said:

Aranda reminded me of STEAL at first, because it is readily apparent he is clueless and essentially learning on the job. But, I agree, we're not at the Steal years. Unfortunately though this staff ain't winning more than 3, maybe 4 games a year (when we get 3 non-conference creampuffs back on the schedule).

Heard this before with recent coaches...
DanaDane
Bear8084 said:

DanaDane said:

blackie said:

BellCountyBear said:

Heard this before with recent coaches...
Could you sign back into your other account on the premium side and come back with an update on Bohanon.

Thank you!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.