Story Poster
Photo by Brian Powers-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Football

Weekend in Review: Bedlam & Farmageddon show the path for Big 12

November 24, 2020

Remember when Oklahoma St. fans got all up in arms about the Baylor game getting rescheduled? As if it would ruin their chances at the Big 12 title? Yeah, that was cute. My how things can change when reality sets it. Let’s get to it.

Iowa State 45, Kansas St 0

Iowa State made a statement on Saturday. It’s November and they aren’t afraid of it anymore after 11th month has been a bugaboo for the Cyclones under Matt Campbell. They are as locked in as they have ever been and Campbell has his team in lockstep behind him.

The Cyclones play within themselves, they bounce back from mistakes, and they block and tackle well. There is nothing really flashy to them, but they showed what they can do.

As for Kansas State, this is a drastically different team than it was a month ago. The two biggest reasons? No more Skylar Thompson and COVID-19. Injuries are a part of it too, but this team is a shell of what they showed early this season. This game was not about them though. This was about Iowa St sending a message to the rest of the league.

Texas is up next and the Cyclones can really make that statement with a win over the Horns. 

Oklahoma 41, Oklahoma State 13

This was never a game, not even for one second. Spencer Rattler has shaken off his early-season struggles and once again, Alex Grinch is showing that his defense is growing up.

For OSU, not having Spencer Sanders be fully available is killing their offense, but they have not really been explosive all season even when he’s been in the line up. This is who they are and I am not sure if this team ever really was a contender. We’ll see how they play down the stretch, but they are what they have usually been, a middle-of-the-pack team in the league.

The road to the title clearly still goes through Norman. There was a brief moment where it appeared that it did not. Alas, it was only a mirage. 

Final Thoughts

• Iowa State and Texas will be interesting. The Longhorns have been luckier than good all year. while Iowa State has been just the opposite. For Cyclones fans to come this far and not get this win would be a gut punch. 
  • Oklahoma is back and here to stay. Deal with it in whichever fashion helps you cope the most. 
  • Baylor vs. Kansas State is an intriguing game as well.  Baylor’s off week was NECESSARY on so many levels. They did not get to have it before and it showed. Kansas State is now in a similar position that Baylor was a few weeks ago. 
  • Oklahoma State fans who thought they were going to the championship game before they had even played two conference games should have to wear scarlet letters. LET. THE. SEASON. PLAY. OUT. You are only setting yourself up to be sad. 
  • On an unrelated note to the Big 12, but because I got a lot of DMs about it, no I don’t think FSU dodged Clemson. Everyone else is beating them by 40, what’s the difference? Now were they probably a little too sensitive? I can buy that argument. But I fall into the camp that this is 100% on the ignorance of Dabo Swinney. He let a symptomatic player practice and travel with the team. If you look around the country to the outbreaks, this exact situation is almost batting 1.000. Had he just done what almost everyone else is doing and kept that player away, they would have left Tallahassee with a 77-14 win. And he looks even dumber in the fact that this was a backup offensive lineman. You just had your star QB out 2 weeks, you know how this works.  Instead, there is a controversy where there would not have been one. Honestly, how do you think FSU should have reacted in 2020? It’s like he hasn’t been here. Rant over. 
Discussion from...

Weekend in Review: Bedlam & Farmageddon show the path for Big 12

1,350 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by historian
Jorkel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wish I didn't waste 4 minutes of my life reading this...it's dumb
CorsicanaBear
I like Farmageddon though.
Illigitimus non carborundum
historian
This weekend I'm cheering for every home team in the Big 12--except the Horns. Go Cyclones!

I'm disappointed in Dabo. This is the first I heard about (don't really care much about ACC or any teams on east coast) but I thought he was smarter than that, especially after what happened against ND. Maybe he learned his lesson.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.