Football
Sponsored by

LSU to hire 3rd party to investigate sexual assault claims

8,724 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by boognish_bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bear8084
I remember when our mess was happening and everyone was acting all high and mighty and piling on, Scott Van Pelt had a good segment about it. He basically said it's a sad situation but no one should be acting high and mighty and taking their shots. Every school has their skeletons, and if folks started digging and digging like they did with us, they will most definitely find something, if not something worse. LSU and KU are learning that lesson.
boognish_bear
For whatever reason this one has drawn more national press attention than Mich St and Dantonio ever did....even though that was a more egregious situation. It's hard to figure out why some get picked up more than other my the national media.

I don't expect this will be a story much longer now though. They've announced their suspensions and plan of action and they can get back to business as usual and trying to figure out how to beat Saban....and the beat goes on.
historian
I suspect the difference may be largely due to politics. Voting patterns in Louisiana are very different than those in Minnesota. It seems that nowadays everything is politicized. And that is a sad state of affairs.
Jayman1963
boognish_bear said:

For whatever reason this one has drawn more national press attention than Mich St and Dantonio ever did....even though that was a more egregious situation. It's hard to figure out why some get picked up more than other my the national media.

I don't expect this will be a story much longer now though. They've announced their suspensions and plan of action and they can get back to business as usual and trying to figure out how to beat Saban....and the beat goes on.
Hhhmmmm - why aren't Paula Lavigne and Mark Schlabach writing stories about LSU every day?!?!? Can you say double standards?!?
RegentCoverup
Jayman1963 said:

boognish_bear said:

Hhhmmmm - why aren't Paula Lavigne and Mark Schlabach writing stories about LSU every day?!?!? Can you say double standards?!?

On the surface, it looks like double standards, but I'd counter that it's they have no standards at all.

Sensationalism and profiteering are their game, it's almost got nothing to do with journalism. Their entire MO is to shock readers and get them to pay for a book. The more salacious, and gossipy, the better it sells.

And they're all guilty.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
RegentCoverup
Another season, another faux outrage story from the Leftists in the media. Can someone explain to these people that it's unconvincing when the world doesn't agree with relative morality offered by the media? Has the Left held the moral authority on anything in the last decade?

We may have to start a GoFundme to pay for their tears and therapy.
historian
It's been a lot more than a decade. At least 48 years (January 1973). Probably far longer.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
RegentCoverup
It's crazy how slow the rest of the media world is, that it can't figure out that cancel culture is 21st century McCarthyism, and that the real goal of SJW journalists is political power without accountability.

Complaints aside, elections are more transparent than they've ever been. And as a mechanism of democracy, they are the best alternative to a lot of bad alternatives.

And yet, consistently, the one group that can least accept that in the US is the main stream media.
historian
The mainstream media has lots of problems with reality--in many different areas.
boognish_bear

One of the cases cited in the story:

Husch Blackwell revisited the case of "a highly recruited football player and enrolled at LSU in June 2017" whom the report called Respondent D. The circumstances described in the report make clear that he is Jacob Phillips, now a Cleveland Browns linebacker.

A woman alleged that he raped her in 2017.

"During this encounter Respondent D received a phone call from another student he answered and told him, 'I am f----ing' when asked what he was doing," the Husch Blackwell report states. "The phone was knocked to the floor and he was on speaker phone."

The Baton Rouge Police Department investigated the case and declined to arrest him, citing "several inconsistencies" in the victim's narrative. But during LSU's separate Title IX investigation, Husch Blackwell identified a handful of errors: LSU never documented efforts to get copies of key evidence, like text messages, nor did LSU show that it had attempted to get the results of a forensic rape kit.

The file contained no information about whether LSU even tried to contact the person who called as the alleged rape was occurring, Husch Blackwell said.

LSU ultimately found Phillips, who said the sex was consensual, had not broken any rules. An attorney for Phillips did not return a message left with a family member Saturday.

"No explanation is provided for how the investigators assessed the relative credibility of the parties," Husch Blackwell found.
boognish_bear
Yogi
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Jayman1963 said:

boognish_bear said:

On the surface, it looks like double standards, but I'd counter that it's they have no standards at all.

Sensationalism and profiteering are their game, it's almost got nothing to do with journalism. Their entire MO is to shock readers and get them to pay for a book. The more salacious, and gossipy, the better it sells.

And they're all guilty.
Agreed. Click bait. That's the world of journalism these days.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
historian
Modern day "Yellow Journalism."

"The more things change, the more they remain the same."
Yogi
It's a cultural-financial balance in effect.

Another issue is that this PC World Order requires people to identify one another on distinguishable physical characteristics relative to an identifiable group completely unrelated to someone's true individual personality or actions.

So, not only do optics substitute for the truth in this culture, but you consequently have a hierarchy of human categories based upon those current identification criteria.

Put another way, some characteristics are superior or take priority over others. So, Transgender > Gay > Woman > Black > Hispanic > Asian > Caucasian - and so forth and so on.

It has to be this way because when you have different categories, those categories then have to compete with one another for attention, federal money, moral recompense, etc. It's akin to a social justice food chain.

Essentially, Women's lives matter more than Black lives, particularly black male lives in that pecking order - and we are seeing that reflected not only with what happened at LSU - but also because of what happened at Baylor. We automatically assume that these young men committed the acts they are alleged to have committed due to their distinguishing characteristics, that is being black and being male. We assume that a woman of any race, even if she is Caucasian is more credible than a black male. And since optics are a preferred perception of reality to our culture rather than the truth, you basically have young men whom we assume are guilty, and therefore, responsibility lies with their superiors to provide counter-optics that reflect a specific amount of social justice in retaliation for the originally accused acts regardless of whether or not they are true and even if there is a lack of evidence thereof.

Talk about systemic stereotyping and discrimination - but you can't avoid it if you intend on identifying people by their distinguishing characteristics relative to group affiliations rather then by what distinguishes their personality and their character.as individual human beings.

And the media hounds on it because it works. It creates drama. As a result, Politicians can exploit it and use the changes in culture to ultimately make changes in the law.

That's why you end up with such a mess.

What really needs to be done at these times is to take each of these allegations on a case by case basis and respond on the basis of culpability; not optics. But that's not the society we live in today.

Les Miles has the privilege of being a white male, which means that, absent excellent results as a head football coach, he is no longer going to be employed by the University of Kansas when all is said and done.

It ultimately comes down to money and whether or not Kansas believes that the allegations against Les Miles will interfere with their bottom line. And in the culture we live in today, the optics probably will.

Now, I said all that to say all this: regardless if whether or not sensationalism is right or just, the media is just exploiting prejudices and cultural behaviors that are currently in existence. To change that means that we as human beings have to change society to one that values people by the content of their character rather than by their physical characteristics and always seeks to discover the truth.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
boognish_bear
Spin....spin....spin

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Bear75605
Netflix's new season of Last Chance U will include coaches Art Briles and Les Miles as co-head coaches for a college interested in giving coaches and players a 2nd chance in college football.
ScottS
Where is Brenda Tracey?
boognish_bear
ScottS said:

Where is Brenda Tracey?

Timbear
LSU has plenty of time. The NCAA won't make a ruling until sometime in 2026, right?
boognish_bear
Timbear said:

LSU has plenty of time. The NCAA won't make a ruling until sometime in 2026, right?

LSU took swift action in firing Kansas's HC and AD....I think the NCAA will look favorably upon them for that
Bear8084
boognish_bear said:

Timbear said:

LSU took swift action in firing Kansas's HC and AD....I think the NCAA will look favorably upon them for that
Ogeron right now thinking about Guice and Davis:

jh0505
Title 9 is working. You can see it in real time.
boognish_bear
I'm guessing they could find similar issues in just about every big time program
Aliceinbubbleland
boognish_bear said:

I'm guessing they could find similar issues in just about every big time program
Correct.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.