Story Poster
Baylor Football

Gameday Thread: Baylor (7-1) travels to TCU (3-4)

November 5, 2021

Depth Chart | Class Scholarship Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Roster

Baylor (7-1) hits the road for the first time in over a month as the Bears travel to Fort Worth to take on in-state Rival TCU (3-4) at Amon Carter Stadium on Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. CT.

Articles: Baylor vs. Iowa State 

Quote of the week...

Dave Aranda: “I think TCU would be very motivated. I think there's a rivalry to start. Their pieces are there, the talent is there. In watching the tape, it's been a little off here, a little off there. We need to be talking about doing 1/11th. There's eight guys, nine guys doing this, and then the two guys are not and whatever it is, and then they get hit. There's things like that, that show on tape. It is not something that is hard to diagnose. I think they're really close. And so I think for them to have a spark for them to rally, which I would anticipate they're going to do makes it that tougher of a game.

Craig Smoak’s Players to Watch 

TCU — Wide Receiver Quentin Johnston

The former Temple Wildcats star has been one of the lone bright spots for the TCU offense, although he managed only two receptions for 5 yards in last week’s painful loss at Kansas State. In the two games prior, Johnston was at his best, posting back-to-back 100+ yard outings, including a monster performance against OU, catching seven passes for 185 yards and three touchdowns. 

Baylor — Defensive Tackle TJ Franklin

TCU’s offensive line is suspect, and Franklin has a knack for making a splash play each week. Against Texas, it was running down Casey Thompson at midfield as he broke off a 25-yard run. The drive would result in RJ Sneed’s (sort of) blocked punt a few plays later. Baylor’s offense then produced their beautiful 14-play drive to take the lead and never look back in the fourth quarter. So which Temple Wildcat alum gets bragging rights after Saturday? 

Pregame Show | Saturday 12:30 p.m. CT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: Baylor (7-1) travels to TCU (3-4)

64,188 Views | 859 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bigkahunaww
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IowaBear said:

We laid an egg, I'll be dramatic for a bit. But life goes on. We got 7 wins and will play in a bowl. But this team is going to struggle to find another W. The secondary is horrendous and Gerrys average at best. Maybe will beat Tech to finish on a high note. Oh well life goes on

You don't beat BYU and then struggle to find a win later in the season. TCU is just a cursed game for us for the past 12 years almost. It's either close or they blow us out. Step off the ledge.
Jorkel
IowaBear said:

We laid an egg, I'll be dramatic for a bit. But life goes on. We got 7 wins and will play in a bowl. But this team is going to struggle to find another W. The secondary is horrendous and Gerrys average at best. Maybe will beat Tech to finish on a high note. Oh well life goes on

Maybe I think we will still beat tech and Kstate. OU might boat race us with another freshman QB
True Grit
CaliByWayOfKS said:

The after game media had better be rough and tear them up to get real answers as to the prep and lack of any change to improve their situation.
Well, that's not going to happen...
Bgleaton
I understand the frustration with Grimes and the play calling at the end when we were in FG range but let's talk about the 460+ yards we let C. Morris throw today. We couldn't cover, had blown assignments, couldn't make stops (50% conversion rate on 3rd down). Our offense is decent with a great running game but our defense has to play better especially with all of these upper class men. We blew a shot to have game day in Waco next weekend but it's time to move on and get ready for OU.
BUGWBBear
Bear8084 said:

IowaBear said:

You don't beat BYU and then struggle to find a win later in the season. TCU is just a cursed game for us for the past 12 years almost. It's either close or they blow us out. Step off the ledge.

The CFP will do that for us by probably knocking us to 25 if not out entirely.
BUGWBBear
Bgleaton said:

I understand the frustration with Grimes and the play calling at the end when we were in FG range but let's talk about the 460+ yards we let C. Morris throw today. We couldn't cover, had blown assignments, couldn't make stops (50% conversion rate on 3rd down). Our offense is decent with a great running game but our defense has to play better especially with all of these upper class men. We blew a shot to have game day in Waco next weekend but it's time to move on and get ready for OU.

This
ImwithBU
Jorkel said:

IowaBear said:

Maybe I think we will still beat tech and Kstate. OU might boat race us with another freshman QB

And if I told you we would be 9-3 this season heading into a bowl game all BU fans would have taken it. For some reason Baylor doesn't treat TCU like a rival. They play us and SMU harder than anyone else
CHP Bear
Inspite of all that we were in position to win the game. We still could have won the scoreboard stat, but NO! Even after all the defensive frustration it came down to an offensive coaching mistake.
PartyBear
Why do you assume we will be 9 and 3. TCU should show you no game win is automatic and I thought OU and KSU in Manhattan would already be hard as hell. Tech is probably better than TCU.
EvilTroyAndAbed
DrCrunkDaddy said:

We should've never let Zeno go. Gerry is a great game manager but he's not a great QB/passer. Thornton is open 7/10 plays and if Gerry even throws to him he underthrows him every. single. time.

Who are you? Never seen you here before.
DanaDane
Grimes has had some very good games this season. The Ok State game and this game were obviously not. I'm confident Aranda will examine with Grimes and address.
Jorkel
ImwithBU said:

Jorkel said:

IowaBear said:

And if I told you we would be 9-3 this season heading into a bowl game all BU fans would have taken it. For some reason Baylor doesn't treat TCU like a rival. They play us and SMU harder than anyone else

I think I said 10 wins, but would be happy with 8+
BearFan33
This one hurts. Driving and nearly in field goal range.

We could have stole one in Fort Worth
Bear8084
DanaDane said:

Grimes has had some very good games this season. The Ok State game and this game were obviously not. I'm confident Aranda will examine with Grimes and address.

Agree. I think Grimes will also. He came back with the WVU game plan after the Okie State loss.
Osouno
Hate to say it, but TCU was way better coached and Morris is the bomb!!
Reverend
We screwed the pooch today.

Bad game on both sides of the ball.

It happens, but it's still bad. I'm sure they wish they had this one over.
GruntTuff
I'm watching Iowa State's QB miss on plays young Morris made with ease today.

Maybe it's his one and only miraculous game, but if I'm a TCU fan, I'm pretty excited.
MoonshineJones
That. Was. Pathetic. How are any of you even excited for next weekend after that? That crap was embarrassing.
Bexar Pitts
GruntTuff said:

I'm watching Iowa State's QB miss on plays young Morris made with ease today.

Maybe it's his one and only miraculous game, but if I'm a TCU fan, I'm pretty excited.
Roger that. the kid was phenominal..One of the best games I've seen a QB have in a long time...I will say this..they did a great job of pass protection..and when Bernard started getting through, he had a quick and accurate release..Only a Freshman in eligibility...He looks like a real difference maker in TCU's future..
BBWCBear
Bear8084 said:

IowaBear said:

Fatterson stuck around to make sure he solidified the defense for us, but, heck, did he need to? Offensively they took us to the woodshed. If BU could've gotten a sack or forced a three and out game might have been different. OU will probably have ALL day to make plays.
Bryceb
Granted all of these are great points but answer me this why do we always lose to TCU...... why I don't understand it . I've said a million times in 2017 when we were trash like tcu this season they beat us 22-45. We can't seem to do anything but scrap by them. We need them to beat this game in there heads beginning season cus to TCU its like OU and UT red river rivalry. To our guys it's like walking into a normal game which coincidently is a trap game.
MoonshineJones
That defense was astoundingly bad today. Pitre and Texada had their worst games as Bears today. Hands down. Morris picked on texada all game long.
And Pitre couldn't stinking tackle today. Very disappointing.
Bear8084
MoonshineJones said:

That defense was astoundingly bad today. Pitre and Texada had their worst games as Bears today. Hands down. Morris picked on texada all game long.
And Pitre couldn't stinking tackle today. Very disappointing.

Pitre had some big plays today.
MoonshineJones
And also singlehandedly missed Morris in the backfield - I.e. Morris broke his tackle - 5 separate times. He also dropped an interception and was beat by a running back in coverage several times. You don't have to defend endlessly. That sort of attitude leads to them not improving. They played poorly and deserve the criticism for it.
Bear8084
MoonshineJones said:

And also singlehandedly missed Morris in the backfield - I.e. Morris broke his tackle - 5 separate times. He also dropped an interception and was beat by a running back in coverage several times. You don't have to defend endlessly. That sort of attitude leads to them not improving. They played poorly and deserve the criticism for it.

They don't any better or worse from us defending or bashing them. We're not the coaches. And still, he was all over the field making good plays too.
MoonshineJones
That's a soft mentality man. That's why our place isn't a rough place to play and will continue not to be. Our fan base has no gumption and defaults to the "we'll get em next time guys!" Mentality. That crap is so participation ribbon-esque that it's sad. They now literally have the ability to get paid and crap performances like that don't warrant it. You be the rah rah guy and I'll tell it like it is. They were soft today.
Bear8084
MoonshineJones said:

That's a soft mentality man. That's why our place isn't a rough place to play and will continue not to be. Our fan base has no gumption and defaults to the "we'll get em next time guys!" Mentality. That crap is so participation ribbon-esque that it's sad. They now literally have the ability to get paid and crap performances like that don't warrant it. You be the rah rah guy and I'll tell it like it is. They were soft today.

I'm sure the players will see your post and play extra hard next week.
MoonshineJones
No, but they'll hear me boo from my seat next week if they ply like that again. And if you weren't a soft fan they'd hear you too.
Bear8084
MoonshineJones said:

No, but they'll hear me boo from my seat next week if they ply like that again. And if you weren't a soft fan they'd hear you too.

Sure, sure.
GruntTuff
One of the reasons we missed Morris in the backfield was his anticipation and athletic ability. As best I could tell, he made two bad passes today.

Watch the other games on tv. Other quarterbacks make bad passes or get sacked with little pressure. Check out Iowa State.

The kid was brilliant.

Will I be surprised if we beat OU next week?

No.

Do I think Bohannon is our answer at QB next year? Maybe, but I will not be surprised if someone else starts next year.

Love the guy for who he is, and would hire him in a heartbeat.
Timbear
Moonshine, take a breath. The ball is not round. You can't predict which way it will bounce every time. Undefeated Mich St lost today. Undefeated Wake Forest lost today. 1 loss Baylor lost today, Miss St beat Aggie, then Aggie beat Alabama. It happens. Stanford beat Ohio St, then got stomped by Utah today. If you'll boo this team that's playing their guts out for Baylor, and has gone from 2-7 to 7-2 in one year, then you are one twisted SOB.
Jack Bauer
In positive news, Baylor volleyball beat #1 Texas tonight 3-1!!!
GruntTuff
Iowa State is kicking Texas butt. I so love it!

Texas…wimp away to the SEC. How did that work for Arkansas?

I'm 72. Have been watching SWC football for 62 years. Screw entitles UT.

I look forward to my remaining years watching TU get its butt miserably kicked in the SEC just like it has in the Big 12. Good riddance.

Doing less with more-TU.
Timbear
Gerry has 15 TD's and 5 ints. 3 to 1 ratio. Very good. Most of those ints are deflected passes. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but they still can win out, going 10-2, or win 2 of the next 3 for a 9-3 season plus a Bowl win, for a 10 win season, in only Aranda's 2nd year, which hardly anyone thought this team could do. Let's not be like the entitled Bluebloods, ok?
Jack Bauer
Timbear said:

Gerry has 15 TD's and 5 ints. 3 to 1 ratio. Very good. Most of those ints are deflected passes. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but they still can win out, going 10-2, or win 2 of the next 3 for a 9-3 season plus a Bowl win, for a 10 win season, in only Aranda's 2nd year, which hardly anyone thought this team could do. Let's not be like the entitled Bluebloods, ok?
What?

4 of his 5 INTs were NOT deflected, they were bad reads. The only deflection INT was today b/c he underthrew the ball.

The INT in BYU did not hurt us.
We recovered after the 2 INTs against UT last week.
But we could not overcome the 2 INTs today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.